April 30, 2024, 01:09:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fla. couple who adopted 12 children found slain  (Read 238819 times)
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #260 on: July 18, 2009, 10:52:40 AM »

My pleasure no rose.   an angelic monkey

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »

Good Saturday morning to everyone.  Hope you are enjoying your weekend.  Thanks IM for the pics.  It sure helps me to have an image in my mind. 

http://www.pnj.com/article/20090718/NEWS01/907180323&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

A bittersweet introduction

Oh my, Cece. Thank you. How touching.  an angelic monkey

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #262 on: July 18, 2009, 02:37:21 PM »

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/07/17/a1a_couple_0718.html

BEULAH — Jack isn't taking any chances. And he's not alone.

Residents of this remote enclave less than 2 miles from the Florida-Alabama border are sleeping with their guns or, for the few who aren't already packing, buying them.

As slain couple is buried, fuller portrait emerges

Standing outside the Texaco station less than a mile from the compound where Byrd and Melanie Billings and their adopted children lived before the couple's brutal slayings, a man who would identify himself only by his first name described the community's mood.

"People around here are panicking," Jack said. "If they hadn't been sitting on their rifles and stuff, they are now. I guarantee."

Karla Arnold is. The gas station clerk, who also owns a housekeeping business and cleaned for the Billingses several times, said she's now carrying her gun regularly.

One of the men charged in the murders also was a customer at the store, Arnold said.

"I would never have dreamed it," she said. "Now, I look twice when I come in the store in the morning."

At his parents' funeral Friday, Justin Billings expressed the disbelief felt throughout the Pensacola area.

"My parents, they were God's gift to the world," he said in his eulogy. "Mom, Dad, you will truly be missed, by family, friends, everyone. You left a lasting impression on everybody."

Ninja-style gunmen invaded the couple's home and shot them execution-style with several children in the house. The family maintains that the killers' motive was money.

Beulah is "the place that we least expect those kinds of things to happen," said Escambia County Commissioner Wilson Roberts, whose district includes Beulah.

Like many others, Roberts likened the crime to the murders recounted in In Cold Blood, the Truman Capote book about two drifters who killed a Midwest farm family.

"In that community, that rural area, to have this done, planned and perpetrated like it was, it certainly reminds me of that. It's just horrific," Roberts said.

Modern subdivisions pepper the stretch of rural road where the Billingses lived. But many homesteads, including theirs, are set far back from public view and surrounded by scrub pines or farmland.

Despite the world's attention on the family and the almost-surreal circumstances of the slayings, travelers on Mobile Highway could easily drive past their home, unaware of the tragedy that took place on July 9. The wooden gates opening onto a long driveway leading to the 6-year-old home had only a few mementos from mourners Friday: several balloons, a hand-written note or two, a dog tag that read "Fear Not."

The suspects are now locked up, but that hasn't eased the minds of many of Beulah's residents, especially the old-timers.

Tommy Peek's mother, who lives across the road from the Billingses, "is scared to death," he says.

Ashley Markham, the eldest daughter at age 26, suddenly became the matriarch of a family of 14.

Standing by her mother's coffin at the wake Thursday, Markham rested her head beside the pink rose spray, sobbing and giving her mom a final embrace. At the funeral, Markham promised to keep her pledge to her mother that she would keep the family together if anything happened.

"I will never be able to take their place, but I will devote my life to all of you just as they would have," Markham said to her siblings, her voice breaking. "I promise to all of you that I will live every day of my life making sure you know how wonderful our mom and dad were and how much they loved you all."

The Billingses were well-known in the community but not a vital part of it, said Steve McNair, chief of the volunteer fire department.

His crew had been to the Billings household on several occasions for emergencies, including seizures. One child with Down syndrome died after suffering severe burns when he wandered into a hot bathtub, McNair said. No one was charged in the child's death.

Many Pensacolans, obsessed with news coverage of the murders, aren't so sure about the family's theory that the motive was money.

They are speculating that drugs may have been involved. Or perhaps it had something to do with the auto loans that the Billingses financed for people who couldn't otherwise get credit.

Whatever the reason, the result is shocking.

"In my 45 years here," Roberts said, "it's the most tragic event."

cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #263 on: July 18, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/07/17/a1a_couple_0718.html

BEULAH — Jack isn't taking any chances. And he's not alone.

Residents of this remote enclave less than 2 miles from the Florida-Alabama border are sleeping with their guns or, for the few who aren't already packing, buying them.

As slain couple is buried, fuller portrait emerges

Standing outside the Texaco station less than a mile from the compound where Byrd and Melanie Billings and their adopted children lived before the couple's brutal slayings, a man who would identify himself only by his first name described the community's mood.

"People around here are panicking," Jack said. "If they hadn't been sitting on their rifles and stuff, they are now. I guarantee."

Karla Arnold is. The gas station clerk, who also owns a housekeeping business and cleaned for the Billingses several times, said she's now carrying her gun regularly.

One of the men charged in the murders also was a customer at the store, Arnold said.

"I would never have dreamed it," she said. "Now, I look twice when I come in the store in the morning."

At his parents' funeral Friday, Justin Billings expressed the disbelief felt throughout the Pensacola area.

"My parents, they were God's gift to the world," he said in his eulogy. "Mom, Dad, you will truly be missed, by family, friends, everyone. You left a lasting impression on everybody."

Ninja-style gunmen invaded the couple's home and shot them execution-style with several children in the house. The family maintains that the killers' motive was money.

Beulah is "the place that we least expect those kinds of things to happen," said Escambia County Commissioner Wilson Roberts, whose district includes Beulah.

Like many others, Roberts likened the crime to the murders recounted in In Cold Blood, the Truman Capote book about two drifters who killed a Midwest farm family.

"In that community, that rural area, to have this done, planned and perpetrated like it was, it certainly reminds me of that. It's just horrific," Roberts said.

Modern subdivisions pepper the stretch of rural road where the Billingses lived. But many homesteads, including theirs, are set far back from public view and surrounded by scrub pines or farmland.

Despite the world's attention on the family and the almost-surreal circumstances of the slayings, travelers on Mobile Highway could easily drive past their home, unaware of the tragedy that took place on July 9. The wooden gates opening onto a long driveway leading to the 6-year-old home had only a few mementos from mourners Friday: several balloons, a hand-written note or two, a dog tag that read "Fear Not."

The suspects are now locked up, but that hasn't eased the minds of many of Beulah's residents, especially the old-timers.

Tommy Peek's mother, who lives across the road from the Billingses, "is scared to death," he says.

Ashley Markham, the eldest daughter at age 26, suddenly became the matriarch of a family of 14.

Standing by her mother's coffin at the wake Thursday, Markham rested her head beside the pink rose spray, sobbing and giving her mom a final embrace. At the funeral, Markham promised to keep her pledge to her mother that she would keep the family together if anything happened.

"I will never be able to take their place, but I will devote my life to all of you just as they would have," Markham said to her siblings, her voice breaking. "I promise to all of you that I will live every day of my life making sure you know how wonderful our mom and dad were and how much they loved you all."

The Billingses were well-known in the community but not a vital part of it, said Steve McNair, chief of the volunteer fire department.

His crew had been to the Billings household on several occasions for emergencies, including seizures. One child with Down syndrome died after suffering severe burns when he wandered into a hot bathtub, McNair said. No one was charged in the child's death.

Many Pensacolans, obsessed with news coverage of the murders, aren't so sure about the family's theory that the motive was money.

They are speculating that drugs may have been involved. Or perhaps it had something to do with the auto loans that the Billingses financed for people who couldn't otherwise get credit.

Whatever the reason, the result is shocking.

"In my 45 years here," Roberts said, "it's the most tragic event."

Melanie just lost her daughter (biological) that had cerebral palsy and autism August 1st of last year. Bailey was the little one that was scalded/burned in a household accident with scalding water in 2004. He was treated in Texas at the Shriners Burn hospital but during his treatment somehow an air bubble entered one of his lines and stopped his little heart. He would have survived the burns of about 30 % (2nd and 3rd) had this air embolism not occurred. This was the reason for the surveillance cameras throughout the house because they wanted to avoid another child getting hurt. This family had certainly seen a lifetime of tragedy already before their own lives were so viciously taken from them. May punishment be swift to those responsible. My prayers for strength to this precious family in the coming days.

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #264 on: July 18, 2009, 11:08:09 PM »

It sounds like you might know them personally, Cartfly. 

My heart aches for the family and those who love them.

The will of heaven be done in this and all things.
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #265 on: July 19, 2009, 09:38:22 AM »

Good morning monkeys.  Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

(Sorry if this is a repeat.  I may have missed it)

http://www.citrusdaily.com/state-news/woman-accused-florida-murders-not-realtor-association-says/2009/07/18/8528.html

Woman accused in Panhandle murders not a Realtor, association says
Submitted by Robby Douglas on Sat, 07/18/2009 - 1:48pm.

The National Association of Realtors says the woman arrested in connection with the murders of a Beulah, Fla., couple last week is not a Realtor.

The association released the statement below in which it said Pamela Long Wiggins, charged in connection with the murders of Byrd and Melanie Billings near Pensacola, is not a Realtor.

"The National Association of Realtors can confirm that she is not a Realtor, which is a protected trademark of the National Association of Realtors®, and is not synonymous with 'real estate agent,'" the NAR said.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #266 on: July 19, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »

http://www.pnj.com/article/20090719/NEWS01/907190335/Ashley-s-story--Grief--rumors--family&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL             Interesting article.
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #267 on: July 19, 2009, 04:19:25 PM »

Yep, its time to start the old "blame the victims game". We are are corious why the Billings were murdered. And a lot of it doesn't make a lot of sense. No matter what business dealings Mr Billings might have had, or so-called "sleezy" businesses, the fact of the matter is whatever he may or may not have done, he and his wife did not deserve to be killed in front of 9 of their children by 8 or more criminal types invading their home and talking whatever they wanted, or thought they deserved.

I do not know these people, on either side of this crime. But it is clear that it was another bunch of people who think they are entitled to whatever they wanted to have, whatever means they had to take to get it.

I have been looking for a video of last night's Geraldo show. The sheriff of Escambia County, David Morgan was on his show, and was very well spoken. He said little more than what we already knew. Geraldo drilled him over and over and mocked his reasoning for having federal agents brought in. The DEA puzzles me too.

Sheriff Morgan went on to thank Geraldo first before he started any statements, saying he appreciated the national attention and that he and his wife were both retired from the Air Force. Geraldo said he knows the panhandle of Florida very well.(?) (I don't think I remember Geraldo ever having a background on the panhandle, except for his pompous last-minutes of showing up during a hurricane so he could stand out in the worst of it and look brave.) BTW, it was Geraldo's brother Craig, who was live in P'cola sitting with the sheriff.I guess Geraldo is afraid to go back to Florida, after the fiasco in Putnam County.

However, after the sheriff was off and it went to the so-called experts.
Across the banner on the screen, it said something to the effect that "the inexperieced sheriff had to call in for federal help." Geraldo is an idiot!! I am still looking for the video.

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #268 on: July 19, 2009, 04:26:28 PM »

I do not know how long Sheriff Morgan has been sheriff of Escambia County. I am sure Island Monkey would know. However I have looked up his background. What Geraldo has up on the banner on his show was insulting. I guess there will now be another country in Florida that Geraldo will not be welcomed in.

Read Sheriff Morgan's background for yourself and see what you think.

http://www.escambiaso.com/aboutSheriff.aspx

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #269 on: July 19, 2009, 06:55:16 PM »

I couldn't find the Geraldo video of his show.

This is a link to a fox radio show last Friday with Geraldo about the murders:

http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/25341528/ocean-s-13.htm#q=Billings+murders

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #270 on: July 19, 2009, 06:56:52 PM »

http://ricksblog.biz/

EXCLUSIVE: BILLINGS MURDERS MAY BE CONTRACT HIT
July 19 20092 Commented
Categorized Under: Escambia County, May 11 2009

Sources close to suspects and persons of interests in the Billings murders allege that Patrick Gonzalez, Jr. was paid to kill Byrd and Melanie Billings. They claim that the investigators have been told this and that the contract price was between $20,000-$50,000 and whatever Gonzalez and his accomplices could remove from the Billings residence.

Because of concerns over possible reprisals, my sources have asked to stay anonymous.

These sources also allege that Gonzalez and his team had been planning the hit for several months and much of the planning was done in the home of Pamela Wiggins, who has been charged with accessory after the fact. Wiggins has been released after posting a $10,000 bond.

According to my sources, there was an earlier attempt to invade the Billings home that was done after dark–which may have only been a “dry run.” However Gonzalez and his accomplices were frightened off by the outdoor lighting that was attached to motion sensors. The outdoor lights turned on when the vehicle went on the property and the would-be home invaders drove off. Allegedly Pamela Wiggins was parked on the street down from the Billings residence to watch this attempt.

The failed after-dark attempt explains why Gonzalez and crew invaded the Billings residence at 7 p.m. on Thursday, July 9 before sunset.

The motive for the hit on Byrd and Melanie Billings appears to be connected to Byrd Billings’ financing of used car lots in the area, according to my sources.

I have been unable to reach the State Attorney to discuss this report. I did speak with Escambia County Sheriff’s Office and they will not confirm or deny this information.

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #271 on: July 19, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »

I do not know how long Sheriff Morgan has been sheriff of Escambia County. I am sure Island Monkey would know. However I have looked up his background. What Geraldo has up on the banner on his show was insulting. I guess there will now be another country in Florida that Geraldo will not be welcomed in.

November 2008............

I was thankful Whorealdo didn't show up, but would have preferred NO on from his show was here. Our sheriff was gracious in his comments about our servicemen (which includes my stepson), and I think he has done an incredible job and believe he is still playing a chess game, and has people or agencies all over Pamela Long Wiggins...

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #272 on: July 19, 2009, 07:07:05 PM »

I was thankful Whorealdo didn't show up, but would have preferred NO on from his show was here. Our sheriff was gracious in his comments about our servicemen (which includes my stepson), and I think he has done an incredible job and believe he is still playing a chess game, and has people or agencies all over Pamela Long Wiggins...

ETA~He was elected Nov 08, and became sheriff in Jan 09.....

[
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #273 on: July 19, 2009, 07:09:40 PM »

Still no luck with the Geraldo video.  But I did find this from Inside Edition. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PMuo8xiGpI0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PMuo8xiGpI0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #274 on: July 19, 2009, 07:12:49 PM »

Thank you for the link no rose. 

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #275 on: July 19, 2009, 07:18:18 PM »

http://ricksblog.biz/

July 19 20092 Commented
Categorized Under: Escambia County, May 11 2009

Sources close to suspects and persons of interests in the Billings murders allege that Patrick Gonzalez, Jr. was paid to kill Byrd and Melanie Billings. They claim that the investigators have been told this and that the contract price was between $20,000-$50,000 and whatever Gonzalez and his accomplices could remove from the Billings residence.

Because of concerns over possible reprisals, my sources have asked to stay anonymous.

These sources also allege that Gonzalez and his team had been planning the hit for several months and much of the planning was done in the home of Pamela Wiggins, who has been charged with accessory after the fact. Wiggins has been released after posting a $10,000 bond.

According to my sources, there was an earlier attempt to invade the Billings home that was done after dark–which may have only been a “dry run.” However Gonzalez and his accomplices were frightened off by the outdoor lighting that was attached to motion sensors. The outdoor lights turned on when the vehicle went on the property and the would-be home invaders drove off. Allegedly Pamela Wiggins was parked on the street down from the Billings residence to watch this attempt.

The failed after-dark attempt explains why Gonzalez and crew invaded the Billings residence at 7 p.m. on Thursday, July 9 before sunset.

The motive for the hit on Byrd and Melanie Billings appears to be connected to Byrd Billings’ financing of used car lots in the area, according to my sources.

I have been unable to reach the State Attorney to discuss this report. I did speak with Escambia County Sheriff’s Office and they will not confirm or deny this information.

Thank you IM.  This sounds like more of a motive to me.  Not that I can imagine why a hit would be ordered for these people, but just that robbery doesn't make sense & for this many people to carry it out.  And I tend to believe Pam was more involved than just "after the fact".

(I'm having internet connection problems due to a storm, so don't know if this will post).

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #276 on: July 19, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »

Still no luck with the Geraldo video.  But I did find this from Inside Edition. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PMuo8xiGpI0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/PMuo8xiGpI0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Thank You Cece. Maybe there will be a YouTube tomorrow of his show.  an angelic monkey

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #277 on: July 19, 2009, 07:25:29 PM »

After that blog article, if true, means all the more that Pamela is deeply involved, maybe even the one who set it up. She may have the reasons for it. I have been reading up on Sheriff Morgan. I am even more impressed since I posted earlier. I wonder where she is at this time and who is watching her.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #278 on: July 19, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »

After that blog article, if true, means all the more that Pamela is deeply involved, maybe even the one who set it up. She may have the reasons for it. I have been reading up on Sheriff Morgan. I am even more impressed since I posted earlier. I wonder where she is at this time and who is watching her.

I agree Fanny Mae.  I would guess they are monitoring her closely.  At least I hope so.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #279 on: July 19, 2009, 07:33:08 PM »

I'm off to read the article NoRose posted.  Enjoy your evening Fanny Mae.   an angelic monkey

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.