April 30, 2024, 11:52:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fla. couple who adopted 12 children found slain  (Read 238815 times)
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #300 on: July 20, 2009, 04:28:26 PM »

http://www.pnj.com/article/20090720/NEWS01/90720018

News alert: Missing briefcase found
Kris Wernowsky • kwernowsky@pnj.com • July 20, 2009

Print this page E-mail this article Share Del.icio.us
 Facebook
 Digg
 Reddit
 Newsvine
 Buzz up!Twitter
  A black briefcase, taken from Melanie and Byrd Billings the night they were shot to death, has been found by Escambia County investigators.

The case contained nothing of substantial value, Sheriff David Morgan said during an interview today.

"Everyone is looking for that $200,000 or kilo of cocaine," Morgan said. "It's just not there."

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2009, 04:30:35 PM »

Another arrest expected
July 20, 2009

Facebook
 Digg
 Reddit
 Newsvine
 Buzz up!Twitter
  Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan said this afternoon he expects an additional arrest this week in the case surrounding the deaths of Melanie and Byrd Billings.

Morgan said the arrest likely would come after investigators interview three "persons of interest" in the case.

Eight people -- six men, a teenage boy and a woman -- have been charged in connection to the Billingses death July 9.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20090720/NEWS01/90720020

Sorry if I have already posted this exact link........getting hard to keep up with them all at this point

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #302 on: July 20, 2009, 04:58:35 PM »

Good afternoon monkeys & Thank you for the latest updates.  Looks like investigators are moving fast & doing a fine job at putting this together.  Good Work!

http://www.pnj.com/article/20090720/NEWS01/90720023

An Air Force staff sergeant charged in connection with the Billings slayings will remain in an Alabama jail without bond while Florida officials prepare the paperwork needed to return him to their state.

Escambia County, Ala., Circuit Judge Bert Rice ruled at a hearing this afternoon in Brewton, Ala., that Donald Stallworth, 28, will be held without bond, giving Florida officials time to finish preparing an extradition warrant to send to the Governor of Alabama.

Rice explained that the hearing today’s hearing was a probably cause hearing -- not an extradition hearing. Rice said the hearing was for Florida authorities to determine if Stallworth was the same person charged in the documents, that he probably committed a crime in Florida and that he fled from justice.

Stallworth was present in court this afternoon but made no comment. He is charged with two open counts of murder in the shooting deaths of Byrd and Melanie Billings in the two-story, nine-bedroom Beulah home on July 9.

Escambia County Sheriff’s investigator Terry Hardy testified today at the hearing. He told the court that fellow suspect Wayne Thomas Coldiron identified Stallworth as one of the five men who went into the Billingses home about 7 p.m.

Hardy said that Coldiron said Stallworth was armed when he entered the home. Hardy said Coldiron said that he was not with Stallworth for a period of time in the house.

When defense attorney David White asked Hardy if Coldiron saw the shooting, Hardy replied that Coldiron said he heard the shots, but did not see them.

Coldiron also faces two open counts of murder in connection with the killings of the couple, well-known in the community for adopting special needs children.

Nine of the couple’s 13 children were home at the time but were unhurt

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2009, 04:59:11 PM »

Search warrant released
in murder case
Updated: Monday, 20 Jul 2009, 3:40 PM CDT
Published : Monday, 20 Jul 2009, 3:39 PM CDT

Christina Leavenworth
Liz Nelson
PENSACOLA, Fla. - It's been a question that people have been asking for a long time. How did the accused ring leader, Leonard Gonzalez, Jr., know the Billings?

Documents came out Monday that show they must have known each other well. Gonzalez, Jr. told deputies in an interview that Byrd Billings gave him money to start his business teaching children martial arts. Click here to read the search warrant.

http://media2.fox10tv.com/searchwarrant.pdf

The warrant says, "Gonzalez reported knowing the victims and having received financial support in the past for his opening of a martial arts studio."

Gonzalez's wife, Tabatha Gonzalez, who helped run the martial arts business, spoke to investigators Monday. So far, she hasn't been charged.

Deputies are still searching for at least two more persons of interest, in an attempt to figure out who was supposed to turn off the Billing's surveillance system. The warrant shows what deputies saw in some of that surveillance video.

It states, "All three suspects were armed and wearing masks, two carrying long guns, one possibly being a pump shotgun and a third carrying a handgun."

The affidavit also says the Billings were shot several times in their bedroom.

The document also says investigators were also trying to find a black briefcase that was taken from the Billings home. Investigators were also looking for zip ties, which may indicate the couple was tied up.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/crime/Search_Warrant_Released_In_Murder_Case

Stallworth to be
extradited to Fla.
Updated: Monday, 20 Jul 2009, 3:35 PM CDT
Published : Monday, 20 Jul 2009, 3:27 PM CDT

Liz Nelson
BREWTON, Ala. - An Escambia County, Alabama judge has found enough evidence to order the extradition of Donnie Stallworth to Florida. Stallworth is one of eight suspects arrested in connection with the murders of Byrd and Melanie Billings. The couple was found shot to death in their Escambia County, Florida home earlier this month.

On Monday, the judge gave the state 24 days to send Stallworth to Florida. Stallworth is facing murder and home invasion charges. Florida Governor Charlie Crist must now send a letter to Alabama Governor Bob Riley requesting Stallworth's extradition.

In other new developments, during Monday's testimony, an Escambia County, Florida investigator said Wayne Coldiron, one of the murder suspects, named all the suspects involved in the crime during an interrogation.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/crime/Stallworth_To_Be_Extradicted_To_Fla

[
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2009, 06:32:32 PM »

On HLN, it was reported that the van may have been bought for Gonzalez Jr by his mother to replace a repossessed car. They are speculating that the car was repoed by Billings' finance company. (?)
Weird...

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #305 on: July 20, 2009, 06:44:06 PM »

http://www.pnj.com/article/20090720/NEWS01/90720018

News alert: Missing briefcase found
Kris Wernowsky • kwernowsky@pnj.com • July 20, 2009

Facebook
 Digg
 Reddit
 Newsvine
 Buzz up!Twitter
  A black briefcase, taken from Melanie and Byrd Billings the night they were shot to death, has been found by Escambia County investigators.

The case contained nothing of substantial value, Sheriff David Morgan said during an interview today.

"Everyone is looking for that $200,000 or kilo of cocaine," Morgan said. "It's just not there."

Interesting. I wonder where it was found. Although I like Sheriff Morgan, I think that was a silly statement. If there had been $200,000 or a kilo of cocaine in the briefcase when it was taken, it would be long gone by now. JMO

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #306 on: July 21, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »

I had an off the top of my head thought this morning. I am wondering now if this killing was really a dry run in Gonzalez,Jr's mind, to help finance the real assault down in Sarasota to get his child back.  I have never heard whether the family down in Sarasota are well off, and Gonzalez Jr maybe felt they would get more money down there, besides the child. Reading his MySpace, it was like he was obcessed by these grandparents and ex-wife and his child. Why did he go off in another direction at that point in time? Was this just going to be the beginning? 

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #307 on: July 21, 2009, 09:26:08 AM »

I had an off the top of my head thought this morning. I am wondering now if this killing was really a dry run in Gonzalez,Jr's mind, to help finance the real assault down in Sarasota to get his child back.  I have never heard whether the family down in Sarasota are well off, and Gonzalez Jr maybe felt they would get more money down there, besides the child. Reading his MySpace, it was like he was obcessed by these grandparents and ex-wife and his child. Why did he go off in another direction at that point in time? Was this just going to be the beginning? 

Very possible~I have never seen that type of obsession before, llike I said I'd have left the country if I was his ex, he kept rambling about Bella being abducted and kidnapped and offering rewards Maybe he was going to use the money from the hit to try and finance his quest in the court system. One thing for sure, he had delusions of grandeur to the nth degree and is a sociopath no doubt. A man in my office went to school with him and told me he would dress like a ninja for school        HELLO~maybe he should have shed the ninja outfit that he is famous for wearing and gone for the cowboy/indian costumes

[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #308 on: July 21, 2009, 09:32:26 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/21/florida.slain.couple/

Suspects cased Florida couple's home before slayingStory Highlights
Bizarre docs show dad tried to copyright children's names

Cops: Murder organizer knew victims, received financial support from them

Sheriff says one more arrest expected in killings of Byrd and Melissa Billings

Couple who adopted special needs children fatally shot July 9

updated 4:01 a.m. EDT, Tue July 21, 2009Next Article in Crime »

Read VIDEODOCUMENTS

PENSACOLA, Florida (CNN) -- Suspects in the slaying of a Florida couple known for adopting special-needs children cased the victims' home about a month before storming the residence, authorities said.

Leonard Patrick Gonzalez Jr., 35, is one of seven people charged with murder in the July 9 killings.

1 of 2  The information was one of many new revelations released Monday about the July 9 murders of Byrd and Melanie Billings of Beulah, Florida.

Also a man police believe organized the slaying of the couple told authorities he knew the victims and received financial support from them for a martial arts studio that he ran, according to court documents.

Leonard Patrick Gonzalez Jr., 35, is one of seven people charged with murder in connection with the couple's death. An affidavit for a search warrant for Gonzalez's van noted the connection between him and the couple, but gave no other details.

"My understanding is, through speaking with the investigative agencies, that Mr. Gonzalez sought donations from a variety of community and business leaders and that perhaps Mr. Billings did not lend him money, but donated to this academy for children," Crystal Spencer, attorney for the Billings family, told CNN Monday.

"It was a defense academy -- a self-defense academy for children. But the connection goes no further that we are aware of."

The Billingses were fatally shot during a home invasion robbery, police have said.

Gonzalez told police he owns a red Dodge cargo van similar to the one seen on surveillance video leaving the Billingses' home on the day of the slayings. But he said it was not in operating condition, according to the affidavit.

After a picture of the van seen at the crime scene was released to the media, a man contacted police to tell them it resembled a van he owned for a number of years and had recently sold to a woman named Terri Poff, the affidavit said.

Poff told the man she was buying the van for her son, Leonard Gonzalez, according to the affidavit.  Watch recap of the case and links between suspects »

Police previously have said robbery was a motive, but not the only motive.

Police hope interviews will shed light on couple's killing
Gun used in killing may be found, authorities say
Asked Monday whether the slayings could have been a contracted hit, Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan told CNN, "This gets back to motive and we want to assure the public that we haven't taken that or anything off the table. We're looking for any reason, any motive for this to have happened, so yes, we are looking at a hit as a motive."

Morgan told CNN that he wanted to talk to as many as nine more people and planned to make at least one more arrest before he winds down the investigation in a few days.
The Billingses had adopted 13 children, and each had two biological children. Police have said nine of the children were home at the time of the home invasion; one of them managed to flee and seek help at a neighbor's home.

Ashley Markham, one of the adult children from Melanie Billings' previous marriage, told CNN she plans to move into the couple's home and take care of the children.

"That decision was a request of my mother's. ... And we're going to honor her wishes and just do everything that she would have done," Markham said.

She added that the children are doing "as good as they can be.

"Children are very resilient. They have been very well occupied and are enjoying getting back into a routine."

Additional documents released Monday from the Florida Department of Children and Families show a bizarre attempt by Byrd Billings to copyright the children's names and request money from the department for their use.

A department attorney, Katie George, told the Pensacola News-Journal that every time the agency sent Billings a letter referencing the children by name, he would reply with an invoice demanding millions in copyright infringement. In one document released by the department, he demands $10 million in silver or federal reserve notes of equal value.

In a sharply worded letter of December 2005, another department attorney, Richard Cserep, wrote to Billings, "you reference a wide variety of law in connection with this claim" for damages.

"This includes copyright violations, trademark violations, contract violations, admiralty and maritime law, libel and the Truth in Lending Act," the letter said. "At no time in any of your correspondence have you made a plain demand for damages under a clear and cognizable theory of liability."

A handwritten note on the letter says that no further correspondence was received from Billings after that letter.

A safe containing prescription medication, family documents and some jewelry was taken from the Billings home at the time of their slayings, authorities said. It was found in the backyard of Pamela Wiggins, an eighth suspect, who is charged with being an accessory after the fact. Wiggins is free on $10,000 bond.

Morgan said when the safe was found, it was buried with bricks on top in "an obvious attempt to conceal" it. Wiggins is a friend and landlord of one of the suspects. Attempts by CNN to reach her and her attorney have been unsuccessful.  Watch lawyer reveal contents of safe »

Investigators also found a black briefcase taken from the Billings' home by one of the suspects, Morgan said.

One of the seven original suspects in the case, Donald Ray Stallworth, was arrested in Alabama. At a hearing Monday, a judge withdrew an earlier $1 million bond and ordered Stallworth held without bail until Alabama Gov. Bob Riley signs an order to extradite him to Florida.

Surveillance video from the home shows two vehicles pulling up to the property and five masked people dressed in black entering the house. Authorities believe both drivers remained in the vehicles.

It appears the suspects did not believe they were under surveillance, Morgan said. The system, which was not disabled, was a "gaping hole" in a well-executed crime, he said.

[
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #309 on: July 21, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »

[/quote/

Fanny, I don't think he really wanted his child in Sarasota, he just enjoyed causing trouble for
his ex and her family.  When he had court ordered visitation, he never showed up.

On Good Morning America they interviewed a DEA agent, who was not on this case.
He said that in order for the local authorities to be able to call in the DEA, a large
quantity of drugs has got to be found.  Then he verified that the DEA has been called
in to the Billings case.

Also....Anderson Cooper 360 had a copy of the search warrant from Escambia County on his site last night.  It had
a lot of information....but Island had already brought us most of it.

The will of heaven be done in this and all things.
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #310 on: July 21, 2009, 10:00:08 AM »

So sorry, Fanny.  I didn't mean to invade your post.

Fanny, I don't think he really wanted his child in Sarasota, he just enjoyed causing trouble for
his ex and her family.  When he had court ordered visitation, he never showed up.

He said that in order for the local authorities to be able to call in the DEA, a large
quantity of drugs has got to be found.  Then he verified that the DEA has been called
in to the Billings case.

Also....Anderson Cooper 360 had a copy of the search warrant from Escambia County on his site last night.  It had

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #311 on: July 21, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »

Another possible connection with LPG jr & Billings-LPG jr workled for Tice

http://ricksblog.biz/

Tice-Billings business relationship
July 21 2009No Commented
Categorized Under: Escambia County, May 11 2009

According to the Crystal Spencer, the attorney for the Billings children, there was a business relationship between the Billingses and Tices.

“I spoke with Ashley (Markham) and this is what we know,” Spencer says. “Markham Auto financed the floor plans of Henry Cabell Tice’s auto dealership. Worldco Financial Services financed the purchases of Tice’s customers.”

Spencer would not comment on whether Tice owned the Billinges or their businesses any money.

[
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #312 on: July 21, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »

in to the Billings case.

an angelic monkey

I just got the feel of him on that my space, and from reading how he would show up down in Sarasota at the door demanding to see his daughter, even when he didn't come when he was allowed. He wanted to control things, and made threats. He used supposed e-mails from prominant people in Sarasota to help terrify them. People that had no idea he was using them or their names. I think he was quite intent of getting his daughter by whatever means, and meant to terrify the family. JMO

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #313 on: July 21, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »

July 21 2009No Commented

According to the Crystal Spencer, the attorney for the Billings children, there was a business relationship between the Billingses and Tices.

“I spoke with Ashley (Markham) and this is what we know,” Spencer says. “Markham Auto financed the floor plans of Henry Cabell Tice’s auto dealership. Worldco Financial Services financed the purchases of Tice’s customers.”

Spencer would not comment on whether Tice owned the Billinges or their businesses any money.

The past two post you have made have got my red alarm bell ringing at full tilt. The people you are metioning are "old" Mobile names. People of great wealth for generations. 

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #314 on: July 21, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »

in to the Billings case.

an angelic monkey

I just got the feel of him on that my space, and from reading how he would show up down in Sarasota at the door demanding to see his daughter, even when he didn't come when he was allowed. He wanted to control things, and made threats. He used supposed e-mails from prominant people in Sarasota to help terrify them. People that had no idea he was using them or their names. I think he was quite intent of getting his daughter by whatever means, and meant to terrify the family. JMO

ITA~Manipulative control freak, obsesses IMO with making sure Bella's mom and her parents were targets by offering rewards for her return  seriously he ranted on and on about her being kidnapped/abducted when in reality he lost his rights (and thank God for that), as he sure came across as a ticking time bomb and I know Bella's family can rest easier now knowing that POS will never see the light of day again.

[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #315 on: July 21, 2009, 12:10:16 PM »

July 21 2009No Commented

The past two post you have made have got my red alarm bell ringing at full tilt. The people you are metioning are "old" Mobile names. People of great wealth for generations. 

Well, pls share as I am pretty unfamiliar with Mobile, really Pensacola too as I have only lived here about 16 months

[
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #316 on: July 21, 2009, 01:08:20 PM »

July 21 2009No Commented

Well, pls share as I am pretty unfamiliar with Mobile, really Pensacola too as I have only lived here about 16 months

Well, you are better at searching these things out. The Tice name is very prominate in what I call old Mobile. There were several family's that controlled, the banking, shipping, construction, even sugar refineries. The families have intermarried, and you can tell by the first names as they take grandfathers, uncles , aunts, grandmothers first names. The family names almost roll into each other.

I have a good idea who Henry Cabell Tice was named for. I'm am digging back in my memory bank. Most have moved long ago to Baldwin County, due to the criminal element in Mobile, but they always had summer homes there anyway and would commute to their offices in the safety of the large downtown business. I did not know the tentacles had reached P'cola, but I would say by looking at the area busineess they have. I see an engineering company and a bank or two.

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #317 on: July 21, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »

News alert: Gonzalez Jr. was sole shooter
July 21, 2009

Murder suspect Fredrick Thornton said Leonard "Pat" Gonzalez Jr. was the organizer and "only shooter form the incident."

Thornton was interviewed by Escambia Inv. Leonard "Lee" Tyree II, an affidavit for a search warrant said.

The affidavit also said fellow suspect Wayne Coldiron admitted he was involved in the home invasion. He said he want to a Gulf Breeze residence where several firearms and ammunition used in the homicide were kept. He also said there was a woman named Pam at the residence. She is the same woman who drove a maroon minivan to and from the scene.

The woman mentioned is believed to be Pamela Wiggins, who is charged with accessory after the fact in the couple's death. She is the only suspect free on bail.

Details will be posted as they become available.

For complete coverage, see Wednesday's editions of the Pensacola News Journal.

[
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #318 on: July 21, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »

I still think that Pamela Wiggins will be the person that has ties to the reasons the Billings were killed. JMO

Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #319 on: July 21, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »

I still think that Pamela Wiggins will be the person that has ties to the reasons the Billings were killed. JMO

I do too.  I think that she masterminded the whole thing, but let Gongalez think he was doing
the thinking. Monkey Devil!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.