April 30, 2024, 07:28:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fla. couple who adopted 12 children found slain  (Read 238780 times)
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #660 on: July 31, 2009, 05:47:47 PM »

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/07/31/authorities-suspect-contracted-hit-in-couples-slaying-source-says/

July 31st, 2009
Authorities suspect contracted hit in couple’s slaying, source says
Posted: 02:51 PM ET
By Ross Levitt and Susan Candiotti
CNN
(CNN) — A source with knowledge of the investigation tells CNN the state attorney’s office believes there were two motives in the home invasion murder of Florida couple Byrd and Melanie Billings — robbery and a contracted hit.

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office has long said that it believed robbery was the prime motive, but that it would explore all avenues.

The source said the state attorney’s office is currently working under the belief that most of the suspects in the case believed they were there for a robbery, but that Leonard Gonzalez Jr., who authorities have described as the organizer of the crime, and other yet-unnamed suspects were there to carry out a hit on the couple.

The source said that from “Gonzalez down” it was a robbery and that from “Gonzalez up” it was a hit. The source was not sure of the exact motive behind the hit.

The office of State Attorney Bill Eddins declined comment.  Monkey Devil! I bet he did

Why exactly has the SA been so reluctant to say it was a hit? It is not like anyone is going to be tipped off. Even the most amatuer armchair detective could figure out that you don't take that many people into a home for a simple robbery. Lay out a little of your evidence, and I bet the SA and Sheriff would have more people running to them with what they know in droves. Make it sound like something mysterious and something you are trying to hide and coverup, and people are going to crawl back in their holes and not get involved. It makes me suspicious how the SA is handling this. The DEA being involved is a possible answer, but I am not sure that is the reason why.   

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #661 on: July 31, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/crime/BIllings_Murders_A_Contract_Hit

BIllings murders a
contract hit?

Updated: Friday, 31 Jul 2009, 5:32 PM CDT
Published : Friday, 31 Jul 2009, 5:12 PM CDT

* Randy Merrow

PENSACOLA, Fla. - Florida State Attorney Bill Eddins is denying a report from CNN that the murders of Byrd and Melanie Billings might have been a contract hit.

The report, citing a source with knowledge of the investigation, says that only suspect Leonard Gonzalez, Jr. knew of the plan to murder the Billings. The report goes on to say the other suspects in the case only knew about a robbery.

As of late Friday afternoon, Eddins says there is no evidence to support that version of events. Eddins maintains that the crime is a home invasion robbery.

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #662 on: July 31, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/07/31/authorities-suspect-contracted-hit-in-couples-slaying-source-says/

July 31st, 2009
Authorities suspect contracted hit in couple’s slaying, source says
Posted: 02:51 PM ET
By Ross Levitt and Susan Candiotti
CNN
(CNN) — A source with knowledge of the investigation tells CNN the state attorney’s office believes there were two motives in the home invasion murder of Florida couple Byrd and Melanie Billings — robbery and a contracted hit.

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office has long said that it believed robbery was the prime motive, but that it would explore all avenues.

The source said the state attorney’s office is currently working under the belief that most of the suspects in the case believed they were there for a robbery, but that Leonard Gonzalez Jr., who authorities have described as the organizer of the crime, and other yet-unnamed suspects were there to carry out a hit on the couple.

The source said that from “Gonzalez down” it was a robbery and that from “Gonzalez up” it was a hit. The source was not sure of the exact motive behind the hit.

The office of State Attorney Bill Eddins declined comment.  Monkey Devil! I bet he did

Why exactly has the SA been so reluctant to say it was a hit? It is not like anyone is going to be tipped off. Even the most amatuer armchair detective could figure out that you don't take that many people into a home for a simple robbery. Lay out a little of your evidence, and I bet the SA and Sheriff would have more people running to them with what they know in droves. Make it sound like something mysterious and something you are trying to hide and coverup, and people are going to crawl back in their holes and not get involved. It makes me suspicious how the SA is handling this. The DEA being involved is a possible answer, but I am not sure that is the reason why.   

I don't get it either Fanny  It's been common knowledge (rumored) big time here since it happened. I think the sheriff wanted to spill it, but Bill Eddins seemed to try to keep everybody on the "it was a simple robbery", ummm my SA, I don't know about you but since do the facts( 5 ninja dressed men break in a home, stay less than four minutes, murder the adults )add up to robbery. Hell, I'd love to play this guy in poker

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #663 on: July 31, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/crime/BIllings_Murders_A_Contract_Hit

BIllings murders a
contract hit?

Updated: Friday, 31 Jul 2009, 5:32 PM CDT
Published : Friday, 31 Jul 2009, 5:12 PM CDT

* Randy Merrow

PENSACOLA, Fla. - Florida State Attorney Bill Eddins is denying a report from CNN that the murders of Byrd and Melanie Billings might have been a contract hit.

The report, citing a source with knowledge of the investigation, says that only suspect Leonard Gonzalez, Jr. knew of the plan to murder the Billings. The report goes on to say the other suspects in the case only knew about a robbery.

As of late Friday afternoon, Eddins says there is no evidence to support that version of events. Eddins maintains that the crime is a home invasion robbery.

yeah and I'm a millionaire supermodel

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #664 on: July 31, 2009, 07:43:48 PM »

http://www.northescambia.com/?p=9842

CNN Reports Billings Murders Were Contract Hit; Sheriff Calls Press Conference For Tonight
July 31, 2009
Sheriff David Morgan has called a press conference for tonight on the Byrd and Melanie Billings murder. The press conference comes after CNN reported earlier this afternoon that the murders were a $100,000 contract killing.

“In response to media reports that the Billings Murders were contract killings, Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan is stating that the possibility that these murders were a contract killing is still being investigated as well as other motives. The case remains open and persons of interest are still being interviewed,” a later afternoon press release from the Escambia County Sheriff’s Department said.

More details will be posted as they become available.

[
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #665 on: August 01, 2009, 01:38:30 AM »

CNN Reports Billings Murders Were Contract Hit; Sheriff Calls Press Conference For Tonight
July 31, 2009
Sheriff David Morgan has called a press conference for tonight on the Byrd and Melanie Billings murder. The press conference comes after CNN reported earlier this afternoon that the murders were a $100,000 contract killing.

“In response to media reports that the Billings Murders were contract killings, Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan is stating that the possibility that these murders were a contract killing is still being investigated as well as other motives. The case remains open and persons of interest are still being interviewed,” a later afternoon press release from the Escambia County Sheriff’s Department said.

Uh Oh! Looks like there is trouble in paradise. SA Bill Eddins says this is not a hit, but a simple home invasion, and Sheriff David Morgan is saying that the possibility of this being a contract killing is still under investigation. Sounds like they are stepping on each other's toes. That is the same suspicion I had from the very beginning. Bill Eddins has been around P'cola for a very long time. Looks like there is a new sheriff in town.   

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #666 on: August 01, 2009, 09:23:49 AM »

http://www.northescambia.com/?p=9852

Sheriff Responds To Reports That Billings Murders Were Contract Hit

August 1, 2009

Sheriff David Morgan reacted Friday night to a CNN report that the Billings murders were a contract hit.

gonzalezleonardpatrickjr1.jpgCNN, citing an unnamed source, reported that Leonard Gonzalez, Jr. was paid for the murders. CNN stated that “from ‘Gonzalez down’ it was a robbery and from ‘Gonzalez up’ it was a hit”.

“We are, in fact, looking at this,”  Sheriff David Morgan said Friday night. “We want to ensure the citizens of Escambia County that we are not in any way, shape or form of the imagination taking that possibility or probability off the table in the conduct of the Billings murder.”

“We will consider all possibilities and review any evidence that is brought forward regarding the issue of motive in this case,” he said.

“Investigations are evidence driven,” Morgan said, saying that all avenues were being explored in the Billings investigation. He said that a contract hit was a possibility, but that determination would come later in the investigation.

“We have interviewed many persons of interest, but you will never know their names,” Morgan said, adding that persons of interested are often ruled out quickly.

“I want the citizens of Escambia County to understand that this investigation will go where it goes, and anyone who aided or abetted in the commission of this crime will be brought to justice,” the sheriff said.

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #667 on: August 01, 2009, 09:31:55 AM »

http://www.pnj.com/article/20090801/NEWS01/908010315

Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan said Friday that investigators have not ruled out the possibility of a contract hit in the slayings of Byrd and Melanie Billings.

(snipped)

The announcement followed a CNN news report that said both robbery and a contract hit may have been motives in the killings. CNN attributed the information to an unnamed source "with knowledge of the investigation."

At a news conference Friday night, Morgan neither confirmed nor denied the accuracy of the report, but he said the ongoing investigation is "evidence driven" and investigators have not ruled out a contract hit as a possibility.

"It's always a possibility," Morgan said. "It had begun to appear ... that we had taken that possibility or probability off the table. I want to make clear to the people of Escambia County that this investigation will go where it goes, and anyone who aided or abetted in the commission of this crime we intend to bring to justice," Morgan said.

The sheriff also said additional charges may be brought against people who have already been arrested.

(Watch out Pam!!!)

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #668 on: August 01, 2009, 09:40:01 AM »

Good morning monkeys.  Hope everyone is having a great Saturday.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #669 on: August 01, 2009, 09:50:08 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,536010,00.html
Police Acknowledge 'Possibility' That Florida Couple Could Be Murder-for-Hire Victims

Saturday, August 01, 2009
Authorities said Friday night they have not ruled out the possibility that the murders of a wealthy Florida couple could have been contract hits.
The Escambia County Sheriff's Office previously had refused to address whether the home-invasion shootings of Byrd and Melanie Billings may have been murders-for-hire. The couple, known for adopting special needs children, were found dead July 9.

Two unidentified sources told a cable news network that there were double motives for the crime: robbery and contract killings. The sources reportedly said suspected crime ringleader Leonard Patrick Gonzalez Jr. orchestrated the hit, but that most of the team of accomplices working for him believed they were only there to commit robbery.

Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan would neither confirm nor deny at a Friday night news conference whether the report was accurate.

"It's always a possibility," he told reporters. Morgan had initially said that robbery was believed to be the main motive.

On July 21, The Daily Beast and FOXNews.com reported that Gonzalez, one of eight suspects charged in the case, told investigators he'd been paid between $20,000 and $50,000 to kill the Billings.
Gonzalez reportedly said his team was planning the hit for several months. He allegedly told authorities that much of the plotting happened at the home of the eighth suspect arrested in the case, real estate investor and Gonzalez family friend Pamela Wiggins.

Documents obtained July 20 by the Pensacola News Journal revealed that Gonzalez told authorities he knew Byrd Billings because Billings gave him money to open a martial arts studio.

It wasn't clear who may have paid for the hit against the couple.

Investigators have said they're seeking at least one more suspect believed to have been charged with disengaging the security camera system on the property.

Police believe that the person failed to show up or disable the device remotely on the night the robbery and killings were carried out. The camera captured some of the suspects on tape while they were on the grounds.
The Billings were the parents of 17 children, 13 of them adopted, and owned several local businesses — including a finance company and a used-car dealership. They lived in a mansion in Beulah, a rural area west of Pensacola near the Alabama state line

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #670 on: August 01, 2009, 11:37:22 AM »

Good morning Trimm & TY.  Looks like I messed up my pic for good morning.  I'll try one more time.

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #671 on: August 01, 2009, 11:45:22 AM »

July 31, 2009

Uh Oh! Looks like there is trouble in paradise. SA Bill Eddins says this is not a hit, but a simple home invasion, and Sheriff David Morgan is saying that the possibility of this being a contract killing is still under investigation. Sounds like they are stepping on each other's toes. That is the same suspicion I had from the very beginning. Bill Eddins has been around P'cola for a very long time. Looks like there is a new sheriff in town.   

and thank God for that, looks like Eddins has met his match this time

I'm posting the comments just for you Fanny as you and I have had the same suspicions since the beginning:

What did States Attorney Eddins think of the Sheriff’s comments…I thought he said the investigation was over?…I bet some GOBs are a bit upset that Eddins can’t keep the sheriff on a short leash…Go get them Sheriff

[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #672 on: August 01, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »

Here is the link to the WEAR site which has video snippets from the sheriff:

http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wear_vid_3075.shtml

ESCAMBIA COUNTY - The Escambia Sheriff's Office confirmed tonight they are looking into the possibility that the murders of Byrd and Melanie Billings were a contract hit.

The Beulah couple was shot to death on June 9th. When a group of men stormed their home in an elaborate home invasion.

We began hearing the speculation immediately after the murders. that this was not a simple robbery.

In the last few weeks, that speculation started coming from very credible sources. who weren't ready to go public.

Today C-N-N went with the story citing unnamed sources.

Tonight the Sheriff David Morgan called a news conference to address that report.

Sheriff David Morgan/Escambia County: "I'm holding this brief press conference in response to a CNN report."

That report says Leonard Gonzalez Junior was paid to kill the Billings... And that none of the other suspects knew about the plan...

It's all attributed to an unnamed source close to the investigation who says the State Attorney's Office believes the motives were both robbery and a contract hit.

Sheriff David Morgan/Escambia County: "For us to continue to ignore the possibility or probability that this could be a part of the Billings case again was to speculate and to only fuel more of the rumors."

Dan Thomas/Reporter: "Do you think it was probably a hit for hire?" Sheriff David Morgan/Escambia County: "I think it is a distinct possibility and it's a distinct probability if we get the evidence to substantiate it."

But Morgan wants the public to know investigators are working on getting that evidence.

Sheriff David Morgan/Escambia County: "Anyone who aided or abetted in the commission of this crime we intend to bring before the bar of justice."Escambia County Sheriff Holds Press Conference To Discuss Possibility Of Contract Killing In Billings Case

[
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #673 on: August 01, 2009, 03:20:46 PM »

Good morning Trimm & TY.  Looks like I messed up my pic for good morning.  I'll try one more time.

Cute picture Cece. I'm glad you tried it again. It gave me a much needed smile.  an angelic monkey

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #674 on: August 01, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »

July 31, 2009

and thank God for that, looks like Eddins has met his match this time

I'm posting the comments just for you Fanny as you and I have had the same suspicions since the beginning:

What did States Attorney Eddins think of the Sheriff’s comments…I thought he said the investigation was over?…I bet some GOBs are a bit upset that Eddins can’t keep the sheriff on a short leash…Go get them Sheriff

All I can say is Sheriff Morgan needs to watch his back really good. He is not playing with amatuers here.

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #675 on: August 01, 2009, 03:24:10 PM »

Here is the link to the WEAR site which has video snippets from the sheriff:

http://www.weartv.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wear_vid_3075.shtml

ESCAMBIA COUNTY - The Escambia Sheriff's Office confirmed tonight they are looking into the possibility that the murders of Byrd and Melanie Billings were a contract hit.

The Beulah couple was shot to death on June 9th. When a group of men stormed their home in an elaborate home invasion.

We began hearing the speculation immediately after the murders. that this was not a simple robbery.

In the last few weeks, that speculation started coming from very credible sources. who weren't ready to go public.

Today C-N-N went with the story citing unnamed sources.

Tonight the Sheriff David Morgan called a news conference to address that report.

Sheriff David Morgan/Escambia County: "I'm holding this brief press conference in response to a CNN report."

That report says Leonard Gonzalez Junior was paid to kill the Billings... And that none of the other suspects knew about the plan...

It's all attributed to an unnamed source close to the investigation who says the State Attorney's Office believes the motives were both robbery and a contract hit.

Sheriff David Morgan/Escambia County: "For us to continue to ignore the possibility or probability that this could be a part of the Billings case again was to speculate and to only fuel more of the rumors."

Dan Thomas/Reporter: "Do you think it was probably a hit for hire?" Sheriff David Morgan/Escambia County: "I think it is a distinct possibility and it's a distinct probability if we get the evidence to substantiate it."

But Morgan wants the public to know investigators are working on getting that evidence.

Sheriff David Morgan/Escambia County: "Anyone who aided or abetted in the commission of this crime we intend to bring before the bar of justice."Escambia County Sheriff Holds Press Conference To Discuss Possibility Of Contract Killing In Billings Case

I wonder when the next shot across the bow will come from Eddins? 

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #676 on: August 01, 2009, 03:55:56 PM »

Just some interesting reading about the previous sheriff of Escambia County, and the man that Sheriff Dave Morgan beat in the election.  It shows how the previous admistration operated. If you read about Morgan, you will see he is attempting to clean things up.

http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Ron_McNesby

http://ricksblog.biz/?p=2600

http://www.pnj.com/article/99999999/NEWS07/810180303/1020

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #677 on: August 01, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »

Just some interesting reading about the previous sheriff of Escambia County, and the man that Sheriff Dave Morgan beat in the election.  It shows how the previous admistration operated. If you read about Morgan, you will see he is attempting to clean things up.

http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Ron_McNesby

http://ricksblog.biz/?p=2600

http://www.pnj.com/article/99999999/NEWS07/810180303/1020

Yes he certainly appears to be trying. I haven't lived hear long enough to be that well informed about the local politics, but was well aware of McNasty's reputation.

Go sheriff Morgan

[
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #678 on: August 01, 2009, 04:36:55 PM »

My reason for posting the previous links is to show that I believe that Sheriff Morgan is not running his office as business as usual. He has opened up some satelite offices that were closed by the previous administration and has changed the jail medical services. I saw where even the public defenders office did some house cleaning.

I don't think Morgan is going to kow-tow to anyone getting into his investigation, and will not submit to be under anyone's boot heel. He better watch his "P's" and "Q's" though, because they will be watching for the slightest slipup to discredit him. JMO

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #679 on: August 02, 2009, 12:01:25 AM »

When you consider the rocky relationship between the Billings and their son and ... when you consider that benefits that would be reaped by the son upon their death ... is it possible ...

Janet

+++++++++

PENSACOLA, Fla., July 15, 2009
Slain Couple May Have Had Money Troubles
Billings Sued Own Son for Child Support for Granddaughter, Documents Show; DEA Probing Murder as Cops Arrest Eighth Suspect

Court documents show the Billings, who were known for adopting 13 children with special needs, sued their own adult son for child support in 2008 after they took in his daughter - their granddaughter - in 2006, reports CBS News correspondent Terrell Brown.

They also had asked for a $50,000 life insurance policy for the then-18-year-old girl, with themselves as the beneficiaries.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/16/national/main5163759.shtml

Police Acknowledge 'Possibility' That Florida Couple Could Be Murder-for-Hire Victims
Saturday, August 01, 2009

Authorities said Friday night they have not ruled out the possibility that the murders of a wealthy Florida couple could have been contract hits.

The Escambia County Sheriff's Office previously had refused to address whether the home-invasion shootings of Byrd and Melanie Billings may have been murders-for-hire. The couple, known for adopting special needs children, were found dead July 9.

Two unidentified sources told a cable news network that there were double motives for the crime: robbery and contract killings. The sources reportedly said suspected crime ringleader Leonard Patrick Gonzalez Jr. orchestrated the hit, but that most of the team of accomplices working for him believed they were only there to commit robbery.

Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan would neither confirm nor deny at a Friday night news conference whether the report was accurate.

"It's always a possibility," he said. Morgan had initially said robbery was believed to be the main motive..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,536010,00.html?test=latestnews

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.