May 01, 2024, 06:37:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #546 11/19 - 11/21/2006  (Read 120574 times)
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2006, 12:41:46 PM »

When I lived in Illinois for five years, I could sort of drive on snow but when I moved back down here, I couldn't again.  I have wondered if it could be slicker because it is more humid here or something.

Probably not.   Sad

But it happened after ten so icy bridges should have melted by then. Although it is only 40 now so maybe not, don't know.

Went over the concrete railing, traveled 50 yards upside down?  Must have been going fast but if it hit ice, could have made it go faster?  Just hope no more fatalities.  This is a big thing for town the size of Huntsville and will tax the medical community to accommodate that many injuries at once.

Erlanger at Chattanooga is about two and a half hour drive and regional trauma center with of course helicopter airlift available.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Kimmy53
Monkey Junky

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2006, 12:43:20 PM »

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "cubbeegirl"
Anna, the students and their families are in my prayers. What a tragedy!
Being a transplant from the Chicago area to southeast Louisiana, I know what you are saying about the bone chilling cold and all. They tell me that my blood has thinned after living here for 20 years, and weather that use to not seem so now seems freezing to me!
My friends and family are always amazed at the slightest freeze or spitting snow that causes road closures down here.They just dont realize that southerners are not accustomed to driving under such conditions. Not to mention the fact that up north they have the equipment to keep the road conditions much safer than we do down here.

Amen, girlfriend.  
I think everyone runs to the store when it's frosty for milk, eggs and bread.  I never understood that. How much French Toast can a person eat?  
 I'm making a B double E double R U N myself.

It is for milk sandwiches of course!!!  I usually try to be sure I have some Kaluha and Bailey's Irish Cream for coffee - ya know - for a warm drink!

~Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up everytime we fail~
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2006, 12:45:05 PM »

Someone remind me now WHY school buses aren't being retro-fitted with seat belts ???  Shocked As I recall it was due to cost ?

Which cost is greater I have to ask? I'll pray for them while I'm outside, realtor has a new list every week of curb appeal wants to make my home more sales-friendly  Rolling Eyes gratefully it's not snowing or icey here but my nose is mighty cold !

I continue to stand with the girl.
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2006, 12:45:58 PM »

I think everyone runs to the store when it's frosty for milk, eggs and bread.  I never understood that. How much French Toast can a person eat?  

It's that famous Bread Casserole ...

(Please, JK, that's a joke. Do NOT ask for the recipe!  Laughing  )

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2006, 12:47:18 PM »

Quote from: "cubbeegirl"
Anna, the students and their families are in my prayers. What a tragedy!
Being a transplant from the Chicago area to southeast Louisiana, I know what you are saying about the bone chilling cold and all. They tell me that my blood has thinned after living here for 20 years, and weather that use to not seem so now seems freezing to me!
My friends and family are always amazed at the slightest freeze or spitting snow that causes road closures down here.They just dont realize that southerners are not accustomed to driving under such conditions. Not to mention the fact that up north they have the equipment to keep the road conditions much safer than we do down here.

Amen, girlfriend.  

Maybe there should have been salt or cinders on the overpass?

MsMarple,
No, it landed upside down.  They flipped it back to get the kids out.
Slid on its roof fifty yards so is sturdy to still be in one piece.

No seat belts here as is the case I understand in most of the country.  Still, school buses should not have wrecks as the drivers should always be going slowly and people can't miss them.  Just don't expect one to turn over, either.  That is why they have stop signs on them.  It's a law all lanes of traffic have to stop for a stopped school bus even if does not effect your side of traffic, etc.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2006, 12:49:55 PM »

Quote from: "Anna"

<snip>
But it happened after ten so icy bridges should have melted by then. Although it is only 40 now so maybe not, don't know.

Bridges stay colder because underneath is shaded and often a wind tunnel. (Remember all those "Bridge may ice in winter" signs?)

Possibly hit a patch of "black ice" which is really hard to see ...

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2006, 12:50:37 PM »

You know that the inside of a school bus is not "friendly"....everything you can hit is a hard surface....I cannot understand why all the rules to protect children in cars and none in school buses... Confused

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2006, 12:51:21 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
Someone remind me now WHY school buses aren't being retro-fitted with seat belts ???  Shocked As I recall it was due to cost ?

Which cost is greater I have to ask? I'll pray for them while I'm outside, realtor has a new list every week of curb appeal wants to make my home more sales-friendly  Rolling Eyes gratefully it's not snowing or icey here but my nose is mighty cold !

As I understand it,  its more of a danger to have 72 seatbelted kids in a bus, because if it were on fire, or in danger of being underwater or some other immediate life endangering situation ,there's no way any one person could get them all undone and the kids off for safety.

Not sure if its a nation wide thing or not, but The buses up here have taller seats,  so when a child is sitting,  they can't see over the seats.  The backs are at least 4 inches thick also.  

The only seatbelts are to secure handicapped persons (wheelchairs) on a school bus or public transportation bus.  

This is such a tragedy.  My prayers are with the students and their families.

Maine, born and raised!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2006, 12:51:59 PM »

Local news says roads were clear.  Rumor the bus may have been cut off by another driver but all is speculation as they are still trying to save lives and get the students admitted to local hospitals or sent to Birmingham or Chattanooga if needed.

Fire Dept flipped the bus back over within minutes.  They could not extricate the students with it upside down.

PERSONA NON GRATA

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2006, 12:54:37 PM »

How on earth I posted that twice is a total surprise and not intended.

Sorry  Embarassed

Maine, born and raised!
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2006, 12:55:22 PM »

Anna - Sorry, I thought since the video was showing it upright, that's the way it landed. (I didn't replay to get to the beginning of the report.)

The school bus seat belt issue has been going on for eons. Every time something happens, it's an issue. Then it goes away until the next one. I'm not sure what the status is right now; probably varies by state or maybe even school district.

I *think* I read a while back that those yellow buses really are not a good, safe design - they are quick to roll over.

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2006, 12:55:31 PM »

Well, people still act crazy when it is cold here especially the first couple of times of the year like now.  Drive erattically even if roads are clear.  I don't know what that's about.

PEACHES,
Add bathroom tissue to your list of must haves for the "blizzard" of the first hard freeze of the year.

Wink

PERSONA NON GRATA

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2006, 12:56:32 PM »

Quote from: "Ms.DarthVada"
How on earth I posted that twice is a total surprise and not intended.

Sorry  Embarassed

Easy to fix, I just deleted the duplicate  Wink
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2006, 12:57:41 PM »

Thanks Klaas

Maine, born and raised!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2006, 12:58:17 PM »

Right, I don't think lack of seat belts has anything to do with cost, is a safety issue and with all the lakes and rivers around here, the thought of 70 belted in kids is terrifying.

No easy answer of that one or would have been resolved long ago I guess.

Just hope the rest of the kids survive but they are saying lots of critical injuries, head and neck.

PERSONA NON GRATA

cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »

Well, people still act crazy when it is cold here especially the first couple of times of the year like now.  Drive erattically even if roads are clear.  I don't know what that's about.

PEACHES,
Add bathroom tissue to your list of must haves for the "blizzard" of the first hard freeze of the year.

Wink

They drive that way here too Anna!

My son had to ( horror of horrors) ride the school bus a couple of times a week or so ago and he told me that they are starting to install seat belts in the busses. He said that they have the first third or so of the bus done and they are working their way back.This was a big surprise to me....

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2006, 01:01:23 PM »

Huntsville area schools comparable to Mountain Brook, high test scores and no expense spared as they have so many from Space and Rocket Center.  Highest number of PhD's per capita in the country I have heard, but don't know if that is true but a  buncha them.  

Even the poorere districts have excellent facilities.  I don't think the issue was quality of bus at all, just one of those terrible things that happen.  Would do blood test on driver, just in case, but that's just me.

PERSONA NON GRATA

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2006, 01:01:25 PM »

PEACHES,

Wink

You guys don't even want to know what I have to do to prepare for snowstorms/blizzards and almost always end up having  no power &  no heat!
 Shocked

On the very top of my list is Chocolate Laughing

Maine, born and raised!
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2006, 01:13:39 PM »

Governor has offered any and all assistance.  11 not serious.  23 serious to critical.

30-40 feet drop.   Drivers urged to avoid the medical district.

Huntsville has pretty good medical facilities.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2006, 01:21:48 PM »

Mrs DVader,
You are right, we have no idea what real nasty weather is unless encountering it elsewhere.

But still when it is real cold like this, people drive real fast and crazy and do all try to get to grocery store as though we will starve to death in 48 hours.

Same deal with winter coats we wear, sweating even, because it is winter.   Rolling Eyes

Today would be balmy in much of the country but I do feel for the kids getting cold.  I think the idea it is or has been and is going to be again below freezing sets off some sort of primal instinct for safety in us.  When I lived in Illinois the idea that you could actually die from being outside was really upsetting and scary to me.  I was always afraid one of the kids would get outside and freeze to death some way or other.  

We had a real blizzard there one year and I started packing then.  

There will be a formal press conference later today.  This is the first time something of this scale has ever happened in Huntsville and tests their emergency procedures and facilities.

Sorry for all the off topic.

Situation is under control as well as one can be in this kind of happening.

PERSONA NON GRATA

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.