April 26, 2024, 11:25:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Christmas tree!  (Read 21313 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 09:41:13 PM »

Justins,

I love the patriotic tree. You could tie that ribbon into bows at the ends of the branches or use the ribbon as a garland ... you have many options. You could probably buy balls in red, silver and blue, as well as lights. I'd love to see a pic when you have it done.

December 2001, my friend Judith had an Xmas party and each person had to bring an ornament. I decided to make one and got a Styrofoam ball. I got ribbons and fabric and trim. I stuck little pearls into it on sewing pins. It was a fun project and cathartic, too.

Good luck with the tree!

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 09:45:30 PM »

Nonesuche,

Not that you asked me, but I would keep the same beautiful tree and decorations that you had last year when Mr. None was here to enjoy it. It could help to bring closure perhaps - as in a full cycle completed. And then next year, you can create a new tree as an extension of your new life/lives.

With love.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 09:06:58 AM »

Whoohoo!

The UPS tracking thingy:
INDIANAPOLIS, IN,  US    11/23/2006    3:07 A.M.    ARRIVAL SCAN

Maybe it will arrive today!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 11:43:14 AM »

Tell them I said to HURRY UP !!!!!!  Laughing

I continue to stand with the girl.
Buckeye
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 06:49:37 AM »

None

With the butterflies, I would paint a ship on one of your glass balls (maybe even a message inside it). Rick will be with all of you, no matter what the tree looks like and no matter how much everyone tries to avoid thinking about things.  Put the tree up with lights and then let everyone help decorate. Add some new memories...a paint brush, a little rake, and of course, cookies. (((hugs))). Don't forget a little monkey.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 02:11:44 PM »

Quote from: "Buckeye"
None

With the butterflies, I would paint a ship on one of your glass balls (maybe even a message inside it). Rick will be with all of you, no matter what the tree looks like and no matter how much everyone tries to avoid thinking about things.  Put the tree up with lights and then let everyone help decorate. Add some new memories...a paint brush, a little rake, and of course, cookies. (((hugs))). Don't forget a little monkey.

Excellent and thoughtful, Buckeye!

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 08:06:05 PM »

Tree is due to be delivered tomorrow! Whoohoo! Spent this afternoon moving furniture to make room for it. It was a challenge, as the living room is much smaller than I am accustomed! Also worked on the ornaments. I can hardly wait!

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 12:33:38 AM »

None

thank you buckeye, all thoughtful suggestions. Both kids expressed over the holiday their desire to not change the tree, but I do plan to add to it and these ideas have value. Thank you for caring...

Justins - I can't wait to see the photo of the tree, I will wish you great success with the lights <I always seem to have a strand go out just about the time I complete them>.......and that it's the tree of your dreams when you finish it !  Very Happy

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 12:58:02 AM »

The tree was delivered today! When I first open the box, I was not pleased to see that it is actually white, not honey color. When I googled "honey color Christmas tree", this one came up and appeared honey in the pic. I did not read the entire description (which was that it was white). While I still would rather have had a honey color tree, this one still looks very nice. It is pre-lit, and has many, many tips. Put it together, lit it and was amazed. The blue and burgundy pine cones look very nice with it, but the cream ones just do not show at all. I may repaint them. I've put few ornaments on it so far. It took a long while to set out and (pardon the expression) "fluff"  Wink the branches  . Plus, I realized that I will need to again rearrange the furniture, and move the tree. This living room is quite small, and I don't want the tree eclipsed by anything in the room. I am satisfied with the tree, and looking forward to the finished product. Oh, btw, I'm going to try using bunting as the tree skirt. I attached two together to fit around the base. My major concern is placing the ribbon in an attractive manner. I'm not very good at manipulating that kind of thing (despite many efforts over the years), and will need a friend's help. And how I wish that I could find a statue of liberty tree topper! Pics to come once it is completed.

crazybabyborg
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 03:33:08 AM »

Justins, your tree is going to be BEE-UTIFUL!!! Wonderful choice of colors! I can't wait to see it!

None; You're going to have to follow your heart on this one, but I do suggest changing something. The degree is your call. For me, I added the white doves from flowers sent for the funeral directly under the lighted angel topper. That seems like such a sad thing, but I had a child that Christmas tradition was really important to, and somehow it acknowledged the loss and added to the beauty of the tree. Somehow, it was appropriate.
If you feel the need for bigger change, I love the idea of butterflies and daisies. You can buy silk daisy "bunches" relatively cheap, cut them apart and add glittered glue so that the lights make them sparkle. the stems "tuck" nicely in the branches. If you have difficulty finding butterflies, Dollywood's Logo is a butterfly and the website probably has them for sell online.
And, for Major alteration, I agree............something tropical with sun and palm trees should do it. All of you might be relieved to not buy gifts or face this first Christmas head on, but let the vacation be a gift for everyone.
My heart and prayers are with you wherever you are!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 03:34:08 AM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"
The tree was delivered today! When I first open the box, I was not pleased to see that it is actually white, not honey color. When I googled "honey color Christmas tree", this one came up and appeared honey in the pic. I did not read the entire description (which was that it was white). While I still would rather have had a honey color tree, this one still looks very nice. It is pre-lit, and has many, many tips. Put it together, lit it and was amazed. The blue and burgundy pine cones look very nice with it, but the cream ones just do not show at all. I may repaint them. I've put few ornaments on it so far. It took a long while to set out and (pardon the expression) "fluff"  Wink the branches  . Plus, I realized that I will need to again rearrange the furniture, and move the tree. This living room is quite small, and I don't want the tree eclipsed by anything in the room. I am satisfied with the tree, and looking forward to the finished product. Oh, btw, I'm going to try using bunting as the tree skirt. I attached two together to fit around the base. My major concern is placing the ribbon in an attractive manner. I'm not very good at manipulating that kind of thing (despite many efforts over the years), and will need a friend's help. And how I wish that I could find a statue of liberty tree topper! Pics to come once it is completed.

Gold glitter them, Justins! Make 'em sparkle!!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 03:43:11 AM »

None: I went to the Dollywood site with no luck, but I went to e-bay and there are all kinds of butterfly ornaments, from .89 each up to $60.00 for a lot of 50 cloisanine ones. Big selection.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 03:47:45 AM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"

If you can't find a Statue of Liberty, maybe an Eagle, or Liberty Bell? Maybe an "Uncle Sam's Hat" or Flags? Sorrry for all the suggestions to everyone.......I can't sleep.  Laughing
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 12:19:42 PM »

Justins-

I am so glad your tree arrived and I think CBB made a great suggestion for the pine cones, adding bronze glitter <I know Michael's carries it> might look great? Sometimes gold is just too gold, so I use bronze paint and glitter more often?

As for ribbon, is it wired ribbon? If not I agree that it's harder to manipulate but I know they have 'how-to' workshops on Saturdays at Michael's too? You might check with the local one there? I can remember literally taking apart ribbon bows I liked, just to try to figure out how to do those when I first started decorating......I also find pipe cleaners work better to help me form and tie the bows from the back? I leave a tail to attach to the tree or garland too? Pipe cleaners come in white and in red and blue?

I can't wait to see your photos  Very Happy

CBB-
If son doesn't go bowling with football we may well spend xmas away, just too early to know. I've got a handle on some butterflies and ready to use those.......just waiting a bit closer to the holiday for live trees just don't last that long IMO. I'll be sure to post a photo, we plan to make it a labor of love, daughter and myself  Very Happy

how's your son this year? Isn't he in college now and playing football? I hope he's happy and doing well !

Buckeye
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 01:28:59 PM »

justinsmama

Link for making paper machete statue of liberty:

http://www.thebestkidsbooksite.com/craftdetails3.cfm?CraftID=768
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 08:35:06 PM »

justinsmama

Link for making paper machete statue of liberty:

http://www.thebestkidsbooksite.com/craftdetails3.cfm?CraftID=768

Thanx,
!  Wink

casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 11:54:53 PM »

I wanted to type a reply to see if my tree I added to my profile worked and if it is too big.  So I guess this is a test print!  lol  None, I love your tree from last year!  I have ornaments and stuff on my tree from when my girls were tiny - stuff they made in church and school, etc.  We still put it on our tree and they are 25, 20 and 18!
casa
Monkey Junky

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 11:56:57 PM »

Ok, took the tree off cause it was WAY too big!
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2006, 06:46:06 AM »

Casa-

Do you know how to resize your picture or .jpg file? If you ask "help' in your picture program on your PC, it should guide you thru that? If you use photobucket then it also allows  you to resize if you click on "edit" above your photo? Choose the last of the 3 choices which is message board size and then click and it will resize for you?

justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »

Casa~ Resize that pic and post it! Now! LOL!

Tree is decorated! Now I just have to clean the room before I take a pic (so's all y'all won't see what a wreck it is)!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.