March 29, 2024, 09:10:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #47 7/21/09 - 7/29/09  (Read 398681 times)
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #900 on: July 22, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »

Update - Jakey (the baby) is not doing well after his shots from yesterday. 

He is a big of a drama king and vet said not to worry!  My daughter and I are basket cases because we are bringing them to the kennel today!   

I spoke to kennel and they said not to worry!

So why am I so nervous and worrying my new red hair grey

Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!

SEE!! I really am worried sick and it is already showing!!   
marymary
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #901 on: July 22, 2009, 12:13:01 PM »

He is a big of a drama king and vet said not to worry!  My daughter and I are basket cases because we are bringing them to the kennel today!   

So why am I so nervous and worrying my new red hair grey? 

Awww, they all sound so cute and cuddly.  At least they will all be together and know each other is near.  They will be fine Mytime, don't you turn your brown eyes blue.   
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #902 on: July 22, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »

Awww, they all sound so cute and cuddly.  At least they will all be together and know each other is near.  They will be fine Mytime, don't you turn your brown eyes blue.   

Uhm... excuse me.........MM - my eyes are hazel!  *sigh* 

P.S.  How many smokes today??   
marymary
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #903 on: July 22, 2009, 12:16:16 PM »

Afternoon MT.  0 smokes today.  Not that interested in them.  Maybe I'm cured.   
marymary
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #904 on: July 22, 2009, 12:18:01 PM »

So Jackie, how are you this fine hump day???   
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #905 on: July 22, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »

I am great!  How about yourself?

Are you all set to be the Hostess?
marymary
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #906 on: July 22, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »

Well hope you all have a great day.  I have a date with a fig on prune street.  Gotta go.   
marymary
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #907 on: July 22, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »

Don't think so.  Last time I did I got very friendly with some now defunct Monkeys.  Do you recall??  I pass the crown to you JK. 
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #908 on: July 22, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »

Don't think so.  Last time I did I got very friendly with some now defunct Monkeys.  Do you recall??  I pass the crown to you JK. 

We'll pass it to Green Eyes - no pressure GE.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #909 on: July 22, 2009, 01:39:01 PM »

We'll pass it to Green Eyes - no pressure GE.
What? But but KCJackie you are next in line............... 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #910 on: July 22, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »

Just doing a drive-by ... up to my eyeballs in dead bodies 
Thought this was interesting. Perhaps it should be moved to News of the Day?? I dunno.

Chimpanzees Do Die From Simian AIDS, Study Finds   

Chimp 099 with her daughter in Gombe National Park, Tanzania, in early 2006. She died in November 2006 from complications of a spinal cord injury. Her body was one of three bodies of S.I.V.cpz-infected chimpanzees that were subject to post-mortem analysis.

For the first time, scientists have shown that chimpanzees in the wild become sick and die from the simian version of AIDS.

The finding upsets a widely held scientific belief that chimpanzees, the closest relatives to humans, can get the simian AIDS virus but without harm.

The finding also suggests that an outbreak of AIDS is contributing to the declining chimpanzee population in Africa, said the leader of the research team, Dr. Beatrice Hahn of the University of Alabama.

She also said that comparisons of the viruses that cause AIDS in chimpanzees and humans could lead to new insights into the responses of the immune systems in both species.

“Our findings allow us to look at H.I.V. from a new angle, comparing and contrasting chimpanzee and human infections,” Dr. Hahn said in an interview. Her team’s study is being reported in the journal Nature on Thursday.

As researchers conducted autopsies on the bodies of the dead chimps they could find, they detected evidence of organ and tissue damage similar to that in late-stage human AIDS. Infected chimpanzees were also found to have a 10 to 16 times greater risk of dying than uninfected ones. Infected females were less likely to give birth. If they did, they could pass the virus to their infants, and they had a higher infant death rate than that of uninfected females.

The scientists made the discovery by testing hundreds of samples of chimpanzee waste in a nine-year study of three small communities of chimpanzees at the Gombe National Park in Tanzania, which Jane Goodall made famous. While chimpanzees nested in trees at night, a field assistant who sat below them caught urine in a plastic bag held between a forked twig. Researchers also picked up feces from the forest floor. Most chimpanzees were tested at least once a year.

The simian virus, known as S.I.V.cpz, is considered the precursor of H.I.V.-1, which crossed the species barrier sometime in the last 100 years. It has caused tens of millions of human AIDS cases in the world.

“We cannot date exactly when chimpanzees first got infected, but we certainly suspect that it was much, much longer than 100 years ago,” Dr. Hahn said. “Our gut feeling is that the chimp virus infection is not quite as” damaging as H.I.V.-1 is in humans.

The difference in the way the virus damages tissue, she said, “leads us to speculate that chimps may be one step ahead in adapting to the virus, and identifying that step would be important.”

More than 40 simian immunodeficiency viruses are known to infect African primates. In many studies, monkeys infected with the virus that causes simian AIDS have not developed AIDS. Only seven naturally infected chimpanzees have been studied in captivity, and five of them died of unknown causes as infants.

The only chimpanzee that was naturally infected with the simian virus and underwent standard virological and immunological tests showed none of the typical damage of AIDS, like low CD-4 cell counts and damaged lymph nodes. Two other chimpanzees injected with S.I.V.cpz in captivity did not show such changes.

Until now, scientists have known little about S.I.V.cpz’s effects on chimpanzees in the wild, because they lacked the means to identify and monitor chimp behavior there. Using recently developed molecular and other tests, Dr. Hahn’s team of primatologists, pathologists, geneticists and virologists studied three chimpanzee communities in Gombe National Park.

The chimpanzee communities, called Kasekela, Mitumba and Kalande, have distinct ranges. But the chimpanzees have territorial fights, and females typically leave their native group before having their first babies.

Starting in 2000, the scientists followed 94 chimpanzees in the park where Dr. Goodall and other scientists have observed these primates for nearly 40 years. Every day, a team of field assistants followed one chimpanzee from each community from dawn to dusk, recording behavioral data for each chimp and those interacting with it. Mating, aggression and other conspicuous social interactions were also observed.

Gene tests of feces identified individual chimpanzees. S.I.V.cpz infection was found in all three chimpanzee communities, and virological testing indicated that migrating females helped spread S.I.V.cpz among the communities.

The scientists found nearly identical S.I.V.cpz viruses in four chimpanzees. That suggested that some of them acquired S.I.V.cpz from mating partners soon after they had become infected, a period when transmission of the virus is greatest.

Two baby chimpanzees were infected. In one, transmission presumably was through breast-feeding because the animal was uninfected at birth.

Of 30 uninfected females, 22 gave birth to 30 infants. Of nine infected females, four gave birth to four infants. The difference was statistically significant.

Infected chimpanzees died or disappeared at a faster rate than uninfected chimpanzees. Workers recovered the bodies of 8 of the 18 chimpanzees that died (7 bodies of 17 infected chimps and 11 bodies of 77 uninfected chimps) and performed autopsies.

The scientists said it was not practical to treat infected chimpanzees in the wild.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/23/science/23chimp.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #911 on: July 22, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »

Afternoon MT.  0 smokes today.  Not that interested in them.  Maybe I'm cured.   

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #912 on: July 22, 2009, 02:00:09 PM »

Thanks for the news article Nut. Very interesting

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #913 on: July 22, 2009, 02:04:03 PM »

Afternoon MT When do you take the pups to their sitters? Hows little Jakey doing?

GOD BLESS AMERICA
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #914 on: July 22, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »

Jackie - I nominate you and MM!!   A duo!!   

Now come on, it is not hard! 

Should I leave you any avatars to use?   Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #915 on: July 22, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »

Afternoon MT When do you take the pups to their sitters? Hows little Jakey doing?

We leave in a half hour to take the dogs!  Jakey is hamming it up!   

The suit cases are not even out yet and me and daughter still need to go for a mani/pedi!  She is just a pedi girl!!  Oh, And I broke my longest nail way down.  Oh well!   
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #916 on: July 22, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »

FTLOG!!  What a lousy excuse....you can do better than that!!   
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #917 on: July 22, 2009, 02:11:43 PM »

We leave in a half hour to take the dogs!  Jakey is hamming it up!   

The suit cases are not even out yet and me and daughter still need to go for a mani/pedi!  She is just a pedi girl!!  Oh, And I broke my longest nail way down.  Oh well!   
OUCH on the nail breaking. I am sure he will be fine after you get him there. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #918 on: July 22, 2009, 02:12:27 PM »

This is how MT gets her nails done 

http://gadgets.elliottback.com/monkey-nail-dryer/

mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #919 on: July 22, 2009, 02:17:07 PM »

Way back when (6 years ago ?) the Judge gave us the kids - we enrolled themin school, they made friends, etc.  They were here for about 3 weeks.  Biomom hired a lawyer (that we had to pay for) and judge returned the kids to her, gag ordered it, and made us go through a hearing which took a year!!  Great Family Court System 

Anyway, after the kids got returned, PT and I couldn't sleep and were very depressed.  The kids cried and did not want to leave.  At the very least, it t was very heartbreaking.  So at the last minute, we booked a trip to the Bahama's and left the next day.   

Now that is the way to do it!!   Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.