March 29, 2024, 04:32:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sergey Aleynikov A Hero For The Little Guy...  (Read 2217 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 14, 2009, 08:06:30 AM »

Sergey Aleynikov A Hero For The Little Guy

Report July 08, 2009 – Comments (1)

Heros are works of fiction, the historical equivalent of airbrushing the photograph of a pockmarked supermodel...  As I've been reading the news on Sergy Aleynikov, the Goldman progammer who is alleged to have stolen Goldman Sach's high frequency trading algorithms, I'm impatient to see the "herofication" process begin.

Sergey will go down as a robin hood who hatched an unselfish plan to subvert the high frequency trading programs that were unleashing chaos into the markets.  By 2009, HFTs were dominating daily market volume, as a behind-the-scenes cold war in high frequency trading escalated, making collateral damage out of Foolish traders caught in the crossfire of 21st Century Supercomputers.  

Barack wants to keep pumping taxpayer money into internet development.  Why not tax those who use the high speed capability?

What kind of internet connection do the big banks have?

My Sergey is a dashing hero of the people, whose plan, as it will soon become clear to everyone, has assured the mutual destruction of high frequency traders, and whose open sourcing of Goldman's algorithms will end up accelerating the regulation of dark pools, a key enabler of the high stakes version of rock, paper, scissors that the high frequency traders have unleashed on our markets.

http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/ViewPost.aspx?bpid=224435&t=01122484080623683728

Should Goldman and others be paying taxpayers for all this trading?  Seems like years ago they taxed/fee'd people who bought and sold stocks on a short term basis.  Today, it seems like they own the stock for less than a second. 

What kind of voting rights do they get?

How many lost their retirement and life savings to the market and housing crash last year?  Maybe the banks will make them whole too?

Where are the ownership details published?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:18:58 AM »

"Aleynikov's Code Dump Uncovered"

Sergey Aleynikov's code dump page has been uncovered, courtesy of the Sergey Aleynikov Fan Club on Facebook. The site can be found here. Intrepid hackers, nascent program traders, Goldman (GS) lawyers and DHS lackeys should be all over this. As Zero Hedge will be out of pocket for the next few hours, it might make sense for a reader to create a mirror of the content as I have a sinking suspicion this Google page will be taken down faster than Tila Tequila's modesty.The Google Code linked wiki page is already responding with a 502 Server Error and it is odd that this page has not also been removed.

The biggest project is Erlocaml, described as a tight bridge between Erlang and OCaml. Listed project owners in addition to Sergey are Ulf.Wiger, Cyril.romain, Joelr1, and Chris.romain.
I hope some of our enterprising readers take the time to make some sense of all this code in my immediate absence. While the probability of a smoking gun contained here is marginal at best, stranger things have happened.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/148263-aleynikov-s-code-dump-uncovered

Here is the fan club on Facebook -

Sergey Aleynikov is the man who is alleged to have stolen Goldman Sachs proprietary program trading software. Indirectly he has given us all a priceless insight into the the dark side world of the mega market makers in the world of finance.

Justin wrote at 4:17pm yesterday
I will gladly chip in to Sergey's legal defense fund. He's a patriot and hero who is giving us all a peek behind the curtain to see that the wizard is just a couple of well connected rich pricks happy to derail the global economy for a buck. RIP free market. We hardly knew ye.

Kristi wrote at 9:22am yesterday
http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/07/04/taibbi-nyse-ends-transparency-to-protect-goldman-sachs/#

“The NYSE announced that it will no longer be releasing its weekly program trading data,” Taibbi wrote in a blog posting. “This is quiet obviously a move designed to make it even more impossible to track what’s going on in the NYSE and shield, in particular, Goldman Sachs.”

Taibbi argues that the move is designed to protect investment banks from bloggers who are exposing the companies’ stock market manipulations.

Evan wrote at 11:43am yesterday
Never was a level playing field and probably never will be. I know all of you are salivating to short junker into the ground..as you should, but take a step back and realize that this is the competition. You are trading against computers who sniff out and front run your orders. Don't believe me? Go be the highest bid or offer on a thinly traded option and watch the trade grid.. autonomous crooks who dip their hands in the IRA honey pot of you and your family's retirement.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=123550517320&ref=mf

I'm thinking the whole North Korea attacking the government web sites and banks was a cover. Perhaps it really didn't happen the way government suggests?  Maybe it was hackers looking to find evidence at the Treasury and Federal Reserve?  North Korea was used as a diversion?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:41:37 AM »

Think markets can’t be rigged? Think again!  "Sergey the Whistleblower"

Posted on July 7, 2009 by bankingwhistleblower
The article below points out one of many methods money center banks and international financial institutions use to unfairly and deviously rigg and manipulate equity markets on a regular basis.  This unfair market manipulation has occurred for decades and has accelerated in recent years.  The cozy relationship between bankers, central banks and governments coupled with the wide availablity of “private” offshore accounts transfers tens of billions each year to slick, crooked insiders every year.  Unless you understand the depth of the problem, your investment portfolio will earn minimal returns while being exposed to unnecessary risks.  Stay tuned for more information on the insider trading tactics used by bank executives.

And...Barack is going after a few Swiss bank accounts.  Why isn't his team following the bankers money?

http://bankingwhistleblower.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/think-markets-cant-be-rigged-think-again/

Updates at site.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:46:05 AM »

Maybe this is why they offshore the IT jobs?

Reverse Engineering

“The more sophisticated market makers — and Goldman is one of them — spend significant amounts of money developing software that’s extremely fast and can analyze different execution strategies so they can be the first one to make a decision,” Tabb said.

Someone could use the code “to implement the same strategies and maybe on certain stocks they can be faster and, in effect, take away money that would normally be Goldman’s,” Tabb said in a phone interview. “The second thing that they can do is actually analyze the code so that they know what Goldman’s going to do before Goldman does it and kind of reverse-engineer Goldman’s strategies and make money basically at the expense of Goldman.”

Harvey Pitt, former chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, said proprietary electronic data poses significant risks for all financial firms.

http://jagannathanvaman.wordpress.com/2009/07/08/code-runner-at-goldman-sachs/

If these people are making millions, maybe the government could tax them per share.  The shorter the span of ownership, the higher the tax. 

If you hold for longer than say a day, the tax is less.  If you hold long term, like more than five years, you pay no tax when you sell.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:58:28 AM »

Executive Compensation and Raising the Stock Price

I wonder if the HFT was ever unleased on a company to raise the stock price for executive bonuses and compensation?

So many companies in the past twenty years or so made "raising the stock price" and "shareholder value" a priority.  Where was the customer focus?  The focus was all on driving up the share price.  No rise in price, no raise, no bonus for the folks on Main Street. 

How much could the folks on Main Street really do to raise the stock price?

I wonder about the relationships between those companies that had well timed stock appreciation that benefitted bonus plans?  Executive sales of stock?  How many of these companies had ex Wall Street bankers on board?

I'm thinking lots of ideas will come out in the future.

jmho

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 05:57:46 AM »

If this HFT has been going on for so long, and making so much profit, why isn't government taxing it away? 

Taxing it like the wages of working Americans?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.