March 29, 2024, 04:00:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Four-legged Friends  (Read 251576 times)
flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #600 on: August 30, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/08/police-say-texas-mayor-killed-in-donkey-attack/
August 30, 2012 (Edit to add publication date of article MB)

A Texas mayor was found dead after police said he was attacked by a male donkey on his ranch.

Hollywood Park Mayor William “Bill” Bohlke was killed by his 500-pound donkey in an apparent attack  Monday, said Chief Deputy David Soward of the Atascosa County Sheriff’s Office. Soward said the donkey remains on the ranch and an exact cause of death is pending.

“They [donkeys] can become very aggressive, very mean, sometimes triggered by a female in heat,” Soward told the San Antonio Express-News. “We’ll probably never know what triggered it, but it was evident that this particular donkey was involved, based on the evidence at the scene and what we saw on this donkey.”

Soward would not comment if Bohlke was kicked or trampled, saying, “We can just surmise, based on the evidence that we have, all of that.”

Bohlke, 65, was elected mayor of  the south Texas suburb, north of San Antonio, in May. It was his first run for public office. He retired from the Air Force in 1990 after a 20-year career, according to the paper

My goodness...Hobbs is a mammoth and weighs about 1000 lbs and the smallest weighs about 500 lbs. All intact jacks can be unpredictable and can be dangerous that's why all my jacks have been gelded. So sad that this happened.

That is horrible!  I love my donks and I hate that donkeys have a bad reputation.  However, they are still animals and as 4Donks said, can be unpredictable.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:04:06 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
spayneuteryourpets
Scared Monkey

« Reply #601 on: August 30, 2012, 09:08:52 PM »

I need advice from all the cat people here.  I've had cats for 50 years and this is the first time I'm having trouble with neutered male aggression.  I have a 20 cat sanctuary and have seen my share of spits, hisses and growls.  Usually I just divert/distract or they work it out.  But Charlie wants to murder Tinker.  The vet gave him a hormone shot over a week ago and I'm putting Rescue Remedy in his food twice a day.  Right now Charles stays in the cat room from 6pm to 9am.  And poor Tinker has to hide under the kitchen counter in a cupboard from 9am to 6pm.  I am waiting for "be nice" medicine that's coming in the mail.  I think it's some kind of tranquilizer prescribed by our vet.  Anybody have any advice?
joan+20
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #602 on: January 25, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »

Five Out-of-Fashion Dog Breeds This Vet Misses
By Dr. Marty Becker | November 15, 2012

The popularity of a dog breed can change faster than you can say “Yo quiero Taco Bell.” One day Chihuahuas are feisty, fun little dogs you’d see only occasionally; the next day (or so it seems), you have three of them back-to-back on your appointment calendar, and your local shelter is running a special on Chihuahua adoptions because there are so many looking for homes.

I see a lot of Chihuahuas over the exam room table these days, along with Labradoodles, Pit Bulls, Bulldogs and the eternally popular Labrador Retriever. I love them all, but I have to admit I do miss seeing some of the dogs who used to be in my waiting room, pets I rarely see now that they’ve lost the cache they once enjoyed.

::snipping2::

read more here - http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/five-out-of-fashion-dog-breeds-this-vet-misses?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_11515840

The dogs listed include Irish Setters, Scottish Terriers, Collies, Brittanys, and Cocker Spaniels. 

I would have to agree.  I've always had mutts.  I do miss seeing all these amazing dogs.  The only ones I do see on the list are Cockers.  For some reason, in my area they are still popular.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #603 on: January 25, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »

Five Out-of-Fashion Dog Breeds This Vet Misses
By Dr. Marty Becker | November 15, 2012

The popularity of a dog breed can change faster than you can say “Yo quiero Taco Bell.” One day Chihuahuas are feisty, fun little dogs you’d see only occasionally; the next day (or so it seems), you have three of them back-to-back on your appointment calendar, and your local shelter is running a special on Chihuahua adoptions because there are so many looking for homes.

I see a lot of Chihuahuas over the exam room table these days, along with Labradoodles, Pit Bulls, Bulldogs and the eternally popular Labrador Retriever. I love them all, but I have to admit I do miss seeing some of the dogs who used to be in my waiting room, pets I rarely see now that they’ve lost the cache they once enjoyed.

::snipping2::

read more here - http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/five-out-of-fashion-dog-breeds-this-vet-misses?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_11515840

The dogs listed include Irish Setters, Scottish Terriers, Collies, Brittanys, and Cocker Spaniels. 

I would have to agree.  I've always had mutts.  I do miss seeing all these amazing dogs.  The only ones I do see on the list are Cockers.  For some reason, in my area they are still popular.

I haven't seen a cocker spaniel in a long time in my area.  I see Collies or shelties (must be the TX A & M influence  ) a few Irish Setters and Scottish Terriers. 

When I was a little girl, my family had a red cocker named "Rusty".  We lost him for a time after he escaped from the yard.  The neighborhood kids found him about half a mile away, tied up in someone's backyard.  Even though he had tags and we put up signs and etc., they wanted to keep him.  They swore up and down he was their dog.   Rusty got to be known at the local A & P store, because they had automatic doors and he liked to come inside for a visit.   It was hard to keep Rusty in the yard, I guess with so many kids in and out the gate, but I think he was part Houdini and also very, very social.    dogs, no matter their lineage. I've had purebred and mutts.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Red
Administrator
Monkey Junky

« Reply #604 on: October 26, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »

Larry McHale Scumbag, POS of the Week: Arrested for Animal Cruelty After Throwing Chihuahua Against a Starbucks Window

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/10/26/larry-mchale-scumbag-pos-of-the-week-arrested-for-animal-cruelty-after-throwing-chihuahua-against-a-starbucks-window/

The dirtbag, scumbag, piece of sh*t of the week goes to … Larry McHale.

46 year old Larry McHale was arrested earlier this week for animal cruelty after he threw a little four pound Chihuahua against a Starbucks coffee shop window. WTF!!! The pup suffered a broken back leg,  head injuries and was bleeding from the ears after the attack. It was reported that McHale appeared to be intoxicated. McHale is being held in the Harris County Jail on a $15,000 bond. He was due in court Friday.

What kind of a sick bastard does something like this to a defenseless little animal? Mr. McHale, you are very lucky that I was not present when this heinous act occurred as I would has tossed your useless carcass through the Starbucks window.

The dog now suffers from a broken back leg and needs pins and plates to fix it. The surgery is estimated to cost about $1,000. If anyone would like to donate to Starbucks’ recovery, you can do so on the Frisky Paws Rescue website. Also, the little 4 pound doglet named “Starbucks” by the techs at the Houston’s Animal Shelter and Adoption Facility will also need a forever home after she is healed.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 07:47:20 PM by Red » Logged
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #605 on: October 27, 2014, 07:42:56 AM »

Larry McHale Scumbag, POS of the Week: Arrested for Animal Cruelty After Throwing Chihuahua Against a Starbucks Window

http://scaredmonkeys.com/2014/10/26/larry-mchale-scumbag-pos-of-the-week-arrested-for-animal-cruelty-after-throwing-chihuahua-against-a-starbucks-window/

The dirtbag, scumbag, piece of sh*t of the week goes to … Larry McHale.

46 year old Larry McHale was arrested earlier this week for animal cruelty after he threw a little four pound Chihuahua against a Starbucks coffee shop window. WTF!!! The pup suffered a broken back leg,  head injuries and was bleeding from the ears after the attack. It was reported that McHale appeared to be intoxicated. McHale is being held in the Harris County Jail on a $15,000 bond. He was due in court Friday.

What kind of a sick bastard does something like this to a defenseless little animal? Mr. McHale, you are very lucky that I was not present when this heinous act occurred as I would has tossed your useless carcass through the Starbucks window.

The dog now suffers from a broken back leg and needs pins and plates to fix it. The surgery is estimated to cost about $1,000. If anyone would like to donate to Starbucks’ recovery, you can do so on the Frisky Paws Rescue website. Also, the little 4 pound doglet named “Starbucks” by the techs at the Houston’s Animal Shelter and Adoption Facility will also need a forever home after she is healed.

Aww.  How in the world can someone be so mean to a little doglet?  How cruel!  The picture of the little chi brought tears to my eyes.     I hope "Starbucks" heals well and has good furever home.   As for McHale?  I'm not sure there is punishment enough for what he did.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.