March 28, 2024, 03:29:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Four-legged Friends  (Read 251490 times)
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2009, 07:53:46 PM »

My boy came from a rescue that does disability dogs.  His lab mother was taken when pregnant and they were hoping for dogs which could be trained for disability work.  Well out popped three like mine, huge hound mix and three smaller dogs, from a different father.  Yes, I know, my dogs mother was a bitch LMAO.  Once the rescue has a dog, that dog has a home for life, either adopted, foster or at the rescue.  They coordinate with the prison and the prisoners train dogs to make them more adoptable. 

Before finishing his prison program, my boy was adopted.  My guess is that this big boy was quit a handful, so he was returned to the rescue.  He spent the next year and a half at the rescue and in foster homes until we spotted him on the rescue web site.  Off we went to me him and we brought him home that day.  He is now 4 yrs.

He recently pulled his ACL and when we had x rays done we found that he has hip dyspepsia and bad knees.  He has seen a surgeon but since he shows no pain and had no problems getting around, no surgery needed.  This is a good thing, the recover is 6 months for each hip (they do one at a time) and the cost requires a second mortgage on the house (approx. $8,000 per hip). 

We have done water therapy to build his rear leg muscles and reduce his weight.  Doing water therapy for life is cost prohibited.  We are lucky that there is a dog chiropractor very close and should he start having some pain issues, this is one avenue we can try.  We were giving him a Glucosamine and chondroitin supplement, however the surgeon suggested Dasuquin and we have seen a difference in him, he stretches all the time now -- a very good sign.

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #181 on: January 19, 2009, 08:04:39 PM »

Okay so how do i post a pic of Leroy.  he is on my desk top but it opens thru Kodak???

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #182 on: January 19, 2009, 08:05:49 PM »

Boo, besides the biting me on the butt, he is a great dog. i am pretty sure he was abused because anytime my husband or raise our voices or there is a loud noise, he runs & hides. the vet thinks he is part beagle/part german shepard. not sure, after we move, i am going to order a DNA kit. it doesn't matter, but think it would be interesting to know.

wendi

Yep, these abuse issues can possibly stay with them for their whole life, BUT you can work WITH them and find ways to deal with the problem. Biting is never OK in any situation. The gal I work with goes about dealing with this stuff with positive reinforcement. Dogs are pretty smart, if biting gets you to do what they want, they see it as a weapon in their arsenal. If you change YOUR behavior, it will change theirs. I will ask Donna about your situation and let you know as soon as possible what she says. 

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #183 on: January 19, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »

Hey Boo!!!!   

I hear you've gone to the dogs!

Congrats on your new job!!!   

Don't let it interfere too much with Monkey time; we don't have enough good and sharp smartazzes, and you're still the queen!!

Seriously, I hope it works out just great for you!!!

LOL, I AM GOOD, AREN'T I???

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #184 on: January 19, 2009, 08:07:38 PM »

My boy came from a rescue that does disability dogs.  His lab mother was taken when pregnant and they were hoping for dogs which could be trained for disability work.  Well out popped three like mine, huge hound mix and three smaller dogs, from a different father.  Yes, I know, my dogs mother was a bitch LMAO.  Once the rescue has a dog, that dog has a home for life, either adopted, foster or at the rescue.  They coordinate with the prison and the prisoners train dogs to make them more adoptable. 

Before finishing his prison program, my boy was adopted.  My guess is that this big boy was quit a handful, so he was returned to the rescue.  He spent the next year and a half at the rescue and in foster homes until we spotted him on the rescue web site.  Off we went to me him and we brought him home that day.  He is now 4 yrs.

He recently pulled his ACL and when we had x rays done we found that he has hip dyspepsia and bad knees.  He has seen a surgeon but since he shows no pain and had no problems getting around, no surgery needed.  This is a good thing, the recover is 6 months for each hip (they do one at a time) and the cost requires a second mortgage on the house (approx. $8,000 per hip). 

We have done water therapy to build his rear leg muscles and reduce his weight.  Doing water therapy for life is cost prohibited.  We are lucky that there is a dog chiropractor very close and should he start having some pain issues, this is one avenue we can try.  We were giving him a Glucosamine and chondroitin supplement, however the surgeon suggested Dasuquin and we have seen a difference in him, he stretches all the time now -- a very good sign.

Oh you are a super monkey for taking that baby in as your own. I am glad what you are doing is getting him better. Labs/Lab mixes are known to have hip problems. Is he overweight? Please don't be offended for me asking, but my Joe was having problems because he was 40 lbs overweight. Once he lost weight, he became like a puppy again. My vet started him on RD from science diet, he wouldn't eat it so I had to hand feed it to him. He loved it. Lost 40+ pounds. Changed him for the better.

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2009, 08:10:49 PM »

He is blessed to have  you in his life!!

Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »

Oh you are a super monkey for taking that baby in as your own. I am glad what you are doing is getting him better. Labs/Lab mixes are known to have hip problems. Is he overweight? Please don't be offended for me asking, but my Joe was having problems because he was 40 lbs overweight. Once he lost weight, he became like a puppy again. My vet started him on RD from science diet, he wouldn't eat it so I had to hand feed it to him. He loved it. Lost 40+ pounds. Changed him for the better.
Overweight in dogs is something most people don't understand.  Most dogs that are of proper weight people look at them and think they are malnourished.  You should be able to feel the ribs and backbone, very scary to most people.  So was my boy overweight, yes 3 - 5 pounds, doesn't sound like much, but for a dog, especially with hip problems, it is.  He has lost 4 pounds and I hope he will lose more this summer, when he can run at the dog park.

This 116# boy eats 3 cups of food a day.  I feed Innova, which is a non filler food, so equivalent to about 5 cups.  He loves frozen green beans and gets 1 cup a day, but can have extra for treats (very few calories) and then he gets 2 tbl of pumpkin or other fiber vegetable (he has gland elimination problems LOL).  I am very careful about giving him treats.  During the winter we do stair master, I stand at top of stairs and throw his kibble down, he runs up and down stairs about 40 times every day (he lives to eat, will do anything for food). 

We are considering getting him a treadmill since he did well with the water treadmill (it did take 4 times before he would do it).  I can't wait to take him to the retail store to try out the treadmills.  I am surprised at the stores that will allow you to bring your dog if you ask LOL. 
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »

Overweight in dogs is something most people don't understand.  Most dogs that are of proper weight people look at them and think they are malnourished.  You should be able to feel the ribs and backbone, very scary to most people.  So was my boy overweight, yes 3 - 5 pounds, doesn't sound like much, but for a dog, especially with hip problems, it is.  He has lost 4 pounds and I hope he will lose more this summer, when he can run at the dog park.

This 116# boy eats 3 cups of food a day.  I feed Innova, which is a non filler food, so equivalent to about 5 cups.  He loves frozen green beans and gets 1 cup a day, but can have extra for treats (very few calories) and then he gets 2 tbl of pumpkin or other fiber vegetable (he has gland elimination problems LOL).  I am very careful about giving him treats.  During the winter we do stair master, I stand at top of stairs and throw his kibble down, he runs up and down stairs about 40 times every day (he lives to eat, will do anything for food). 

We are considering getting him a treadmill since he did well with the water treadmill (it did take 4 times before he would do it).  I can't wait to take him to the retail store to try out the treadmills.  I am surprised at the stores that will allow you to bring your dog if you ask LOL. 
Stair Master, that is funny. It's good you give him lots of exercise. My Joe came from living on a farm to an apartment. He gets little to no exercise. I didn't know stores would let you bring your dog in to try out a treadmill. That is awesome. You are awesome. I think dogs are great and hate it when people say "you spend too much money on your dog".

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »

Is this a "dog only" place?  If not can someone please explain why my 4yr old neutered male indoor/outdoor kitty insists on biting me when I pet him?  He purrs like he's enjoying it then all of a sudden he'll bite my arm & kick w/his back legs all while purring.  Does he need a kitty psychiatrist? or is this a type of male domination?  TYIA, Lovin.

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »

Is this a "dog only" place?  If not can someone please explain why my 4yr old neutered male indoor/outdoor kitty insists on biting me when I pet him?  He purrs like he's enjoying it then all of a sudden he'll bite my arm & kick w/his back legs all while purring.  Does he need a kitty psychiatrist? or is this a type of male domination?  TYIA, Lovin.
The cat I had as a kid did this to a neighbor and tore his arm up.  It was a male, neutered cat.  That's all I can remember. 
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2009, 08:53:40 PM »

This reminds me of a cat I once had named Gypsy.  She was about 5 years old, and part Manx.  One day I was sitting on the couch with Gypsy next to me, and she was purring.  I reached over to pet her and she turned and bit my hand and kicked and clawed.  She started doing this when I would pet her  and  so I took her to the vet.  I found out cats also purr not only when they are content, but when they are in pain.  It turned out my Gypsy was sick and in pain.  http://www.professorshouse.com/pets/cats/why-do-cats-purr.aspx  You might want to do some research or maybe even check with your vet.  I'm not sure if your cats behavior is excitement or if perhaps it has some kind of pain.  I hope for whatever reason your cat is biting and scratching, you will find a solution. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
GabbyG
Scared Monkey

« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2009, 09:06:24 PM »

Hi everyone! Im so glad to have found this thread for our fur babies! The story about my lab Emmy is interesting. I had face and sinus cancer about 4 years ago, and after having several surgeries including reconstruction it happened that my hearing was severely affected from damage to some of the nerves in that area while reconstructing the sinuses. I have lived alone for many, many years and have never been afraid but I found that after losing my hearing I became afraid to go to sleep at night because I knew I wouldnt be able to hear someone breaking in. It was becoming such a problem that my kids got me a lab puppy to be my ears at night. My DD and SIL have some close friends who raise labs and when they had the next litter they invited me to come over and pick any puppy I wanted...SUCH a beautiful gift, and SO thoughtful! I chose a beautiful blonde female, and when she turned 8 weeks old I was able to bring her home with me. I named her Angel because for me that's what she was. The first night I slept with her on my chest, so she wouldn't be so frightened being away from her mama and siblings. 

Well she was wonderful of course, and SO smart and loving. When she got right at 4 months old one day out of the blue she started having a lot of vomiting, quit eating or drinking, and I called the vet. He said if not better by the next day to bring her in. The next morning she was worse, had gotten very lethargic. When I took her to the vet he examined her and said she had swallowed something pretty big, he could feel it in her abdomen so he wanted to take x-rays and do surgery to remove it which of course I agreed to. He told me it would be after office hours before he could do the surgery so for me to go home and he would call me when it was done to let me know how she was doing, with expectations of bringing her home the next day. He called me later that evening and told me that she hadn't swallowed anything, that what he had felt was one of her kidneys, very enlarged, and the other kidney was already atrophied. He said she was in the process of shutting down and the kindest thing I could do for her was to put her to sleep. With a broken heart I agreed, and he told me to come on up to his office so I could tell her goodbye. My daughter went with me, and needless to say it was a very sad situation, for all of us. After our goodbyes he gave her the shot and she went to sleep. My daughter and I just kind of slid down the wall in the room, and sat there on the floor crying. And our vet is such a kind caring man, he came over and sat there with us, and even had tears in HIS eyes. He said that was one of the saddest things he had ever had to do.

Well, to make a long story longer, my daughter of course told the friends who had given Angel to me what had happened, and within the next 48 hours they gave me a call. They said that one of Angel's sisters had been brought back because the people who had taken her were living in a camper while they waited for a new house to be built, and the pup they had taken was just too active to live with them in the camper. She was 4 months old and needed a home again. The owners of the litter called me to ask if I would want to take her and see if we could bond. I thought it over for a while and decided hey, here I am needing a puppy and companion, and there is a sister of Angel's needing a home, so I said yes and went to get her. Her name was Emmy. I took her to the vet for a checkup because of course I was concerned about the defects that Angel had had. He did x-rays, blood work, etc. and said that he couldn't find anything to be concerned about and in his opinion was very healthy. Needless to say it didnt take long to fall in love with her and although I would never forget my precious Angel, I did grow to love my Emmy very much. Me and my kids believe that she was a gift from God, that when I lost my Angel he created a situation where I could have another just like her to fill the hole in my heart. Anyway, she turned 3 years old this month, and she is the best friend I have ever had. She IS my ears at night, I sleep peacefully now because I know she is watching out for us. She has her own window in the hallway where she can see everything that's going on out front. She barks at strange things during the night and also barks when someone pulls into our driveway to let me know we have company because I cant hear anyone when they knock. She has a huge fenced back yard to run in, and of course oooodles of toys. She is very large for a lab, the vet says she is the biggest lab he has ever seen. She is very very smart, and we have words that are cues for her such as "that's all Em, I have to work now", she knows that means Im done playing and have to get busy so she goes to do her own thing, eating, napping, looking out the front door, etc. and leaves me alone. At bedtime all I have to say is night night baby, Mama will see you in the morning, and she gets up on the couch and settles in. And she doesnt pester me for anything until I come out of the bedroom the next morning. She isnt allowed to go into the bedroom because of my cat Kittygurl. She is 13 and I have a baby gate up at my bedroom door so that she can have a place all for herself without Emmy chasing her and wanting to play. She can go over the gate when she gets tired of playing and can rest without being pestered. Emmy loves to romp with her. Also when I give her a dog biscuit I can say that's all, no more for a while and she wont come mooching for another one, she actually understands not to.

So my furry baby story went from very sad to having a very happy ending! I am guilty of spoiling her but at the same time we have rules that she has learned to abide by. The only question I would have for Boo's psychologist friend is this: Every time Emmy goes out when she comes back in she always goes and gets a toy and brings it to me, then puts it down when I pet her and goes over to her snack jar and paws it. Every time without fail. I am curious about why she gets the toy first, why doesnt she just go directly to the snack jar? Sorry this was so long, but I just wanted to share Emmy's story with my Monkey friends who are also pet lovers. I will have an avatar made with her picture as soon as I am able to get the pictures uploaded to my puter.
Thanks for listening!

Please Angels, watch over all our lost children.

My Emmy, my ears. I am deaf and my Lab Emmy hears for me, and does her job well! She is my fur baby and is much loved. Applaud our working animals, they have earned it.

"A lie told a thousand times becomes the truth" -- Joran van der Sloot
Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2009, 12:16:07 AM »

Hi Gabby~

That's a heartwarming story. I'm glad you have the comfort of having Emmy with you now. She sounds like a great dog!

Not sure about the toy-then-snack routine, but I'd hazard a guess that YOU taught her that "trick" even if you didn't mean to   

Somewhere along the line she learned that she could "trade" you a toy for a treat and she's been doing so ever since.  Every time that you give her a treat you reinforce the behavior. Labs are pretty smart, but they absolutely excel at figuring out how to get treats. 
GabbyG
Scared Monkey

« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »

Hey Brachiate, hi there!      Thanks so much for your comment!  You know, I had about decided just exactly what you said in your post, that I had somehow led her to think that a toy will get her a treat, but I can't really justify it because there are many many times that she and I play on the floor with her toys, or out in the back yard, where no treat is associated with it. When we are playing and I get to where I cant go any farther (she is SO big she almost beats me up..haha) I just say "ok, that's enough" and she knows we are done and she will stop and go do something else, or lie down. If we are outside she just lays whatever we were playing with down. At those times there is no treat connected, so I have just about decided that's not it. HOWEVER, somehow I cant get past the idea that somehow I HAVE taught her that unknowingly, it's almost obvious actually. I'm thinking that what I need to start doing is after she brings me the toy just love on her and then go do something else, quit giving her a treat at that point, and start giving them at other times such as when she is looking out the front door, just laying quietly on the floor, etc. It's not really an important issue anyway, just rather a curious habit.

She weighs 105 pounds and I have some restricting health issues (fibro, arthritis, etc. PLUS my darn age   LOL) so our playing can be pretty tiring but I do it anyway because there are so many things she should be enjoying but can't because of MY limitations. I do have a very large fenced back yard so she can get in some serious running (what a riot to watch!) I know we've all seen our dogs do it...take off running around and around at full speed...she runs the entire perimeter of the back yard over and over at top speed, almost sideways, dodging trees, jumping over things, etc. When she starts that I quickly get my chunky fanny over to the steps..I DO NOT want to get in her way because she puts so much power and strength into it  LMAO  Watching her run is fascinating, she can run so fast!!
I also have a child's pool, one of those bigger ones but made of hard plastic, for her to play in, about 18 inches deep. Not like a real lake of course but at least she does get to enjoy the water a little bit. It's one of her favorite things too.
Anyway, thanks so much for your comment, and I agree that it's something I have somehow taught her inadvertently.

Please Angels, watch over all our lost children.

My Emmy, my ears. I am deaf and my Lab Emmy hears for me, and does her job well! She is my fur baby and is much loved. Applaud our working animals, they have earned it.

"A lie told a thousand times becomes the truth" -- Joran van der Sloot
JOLfan
Scared Monkey

Proud sister of a United States Marine.

« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »

Lovin...My 12 year old female does the same thing, usually when she is relaxed and I am playing with her and petting her for awhile.  I think she just gets so excited she can't control herself. LOL.  When she starts to get antsy I stop petting her because I know my hand is about to be attacked.  Another weird thing she does is if you scratch her body she licks herself.  If you pet her head she is fine but at soon as you touch that body she's a lickin' maching.

Everybody's got something to hide...except for me and my monkey
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »

I enjoyed your story about Emmy.  Thanks for sharing.   
Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2009, 01:33:51 AM »

I know we've all seen our dogs do it...take off running around and around at full speed...she runs the entire perimeter of the back yard over and over at top speed, almost sideways, dodging trees, jumping over things, etc. When she starts that I quickly get my chunky fanny over to the steps..I DO NOT want to get in her way because she puts so much power and strength into it  LMAO  Watching her run is fascinating, she can run so fast!!

GabbyG's post snipped by me...

I know EXACTLY what you mean about getting out of the way when your dog is having a "zoom".

My guy is #140 Great Dane and if he bumps into me at speed..... well, let's just say I have learned to hug the fence.

His name is Cyrus and among some other genetic defects, he's deaf. Yelling "whoa" doesn't work. We haven't figured out a hand signal for "slow down" and I'm not sure it would work anyway because when he's running for the thrill of it he's not really paying attention to much else.

I like looking at the pics of other member's pets. So I figured I'd share mine. And, yeah, that's me too. There's been a small debate in the Caylee forum about the wisdom of posting one's own picture. I'm not concerned about "being tracked down" but I'd rather not get into the debate about personal security. So I'll sneak in a post over here....     

Brachiate   

Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #197 on: January 22, 2009, 07:51:49 AM »

Cyrus is gorgeous.  Maybe you could use a flag to get him to slow down.
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »

Thank you all who responded.  TJ is a stray that I've taken in so I wasn't sure if maybe it was something from his past. 

Muffy, good insite on maybe something wrong.  I will make an appointment w/the vet.  He's indoor/outdoor and likes to get mice & chipmunks (ICK!) and also has been know to tangle with a few strays.  I know sometimes bites get infected and sometimes you don't even know that they are there. 

Thank you all for sharing the pix!  Love them all!

Lovin

Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2009, 10:41:11 AM »

Hi GabbyG!  I said "hello" to you in musings when you said you were trying to add SM more to your life.  I am glad to see you posting and so happy that you found such a wonderful dog to help you thru life!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.