March 28, 2024, 05:20:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Four-legged Friends  (Read 251428 times)
GabbyG
Scared Monkey

« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2009, 12:00:40 AM »

I enjoyed your story about Emmy.  Thanks for sharing.   

Hey Today, hi!  And thanks for your comment! My Emmy is a darling for sure!

Please Angels, watch over all our lost children.

My Emmy, my ears. I am deaf and my Lab Emmy hears for me, and does her job well! She is my fur baby and is much loved. Applaud our working animals, they have earned it.

"A lie told a thousand times becomes the truth" -- Joran van der Sloot
GabbyG
Scared Monkey

« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2009, 12:20:59 AM »

I know we've all seen our dogs do it...take off running around and around at full speed...she runs the entire perimeter of the back yard over and over at top speed, almost sideways, dodging trees, jumping over things, etc. When she starts that I quickly get my chunky fanny over to the steps..I DO NOT want to get in her way because she puts so much power and strength into it  LMAO  Watching her run is fascinating, she can run so fast!!

GabbyG's post snipped by me...

I know EXACTLY what you mean about getting out of the way when your dog is having a "zoom".

My guy is #140 Great Dane and if he bumps into me at speed..... well, let's just say I have learned to hug the fence.

His name is Cyrus and among some other genetic defects, he's deaf. Yelling "whoa" doesn't work. We haven't figured out a hand signal for "slow down" and I'm not sure it would work anyway because when he's running for the thrill of it he's not really paying attention to much else.

I like looking at the pics of other member's pets. So I figured I'd share mine. And, yeah, that's me too. There's been a small debate in the Caylee forum about the wisdom of posting one's own picture. I'm not concerned about "being tracked down" but I'd rather not get into the debate about personal security. So I'll sneak in a post over here....     

Brachiate   

Hey, hi again! I love that ... "having a zoom"...Love it! and says it all doesnt it   hahaha
Your Cyrus is beautiful Brachiate, he's awesome! And you know what? This will sound crazy I know, but you are an identical twin for my dearest friend in the world, her name is Delores. We go back about 20 years, and if I had just seen your picture somewhere I would have sworn it was her...small, small world isnt it?  Terrific pic of you and Cyrus, thanks so much for sharing!! Did he have any kind of obedience  training? You are brave taking him on a leash..I dont dare with Emmy. I couldnt afford obedience training and just didnt realize that as a pup I needed to teach her about staying at my side, not walk in front of me. We took walks every day until she got big enough to be the boss   LOL  One day we were in the yard, she was on her leash getting ready to walk and a squirrel scampered by. Emmy took off after her and drug me across the yard like I was a feather and Im a chunky gal. That was the last time we were able to try that, and I miss it and I know she does too. I dont know now how to train her properly for the leash and cant afford any kind of training.

My Emmy, my ears. I am deaf and my Lab Emmy hears for me, and does her job well! She is my fur baby and is much loved. Applaud our working animals, they have earned it.

Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2009, 03:10:50 AM »

Hiya GabbyG!

I've never been anyones doppelganger before. Please tell Delores I said "Hello" 

I adopted Cyrus from a Dane Rescue group. He was a bit over 1 year old at the time. He was full grown at #130 but a bit skinny. He had been rescued from a so-called dog trainer after she was cited for animal cruelty for trying to train him by using 2 shock collars, one on his neck and one on his 'boy parts'. The rescue fostered him out to several different homes and he was returned to the rescue each time for "behavior problems".

When I adopted him he was a behavioral nightmare. He had HUGE anxiety and fear issues. Wasn't completely housebroken. Has a long list of health issues that hadn't been diagnosed or treated due to cost. Didn't have a clue how to behave inside a house. Yikes!

Quite the mess I fell in love with 

I've done a bit a dog training, so I knew what we were up against but I'd never worked with a deaf dog. It was a learning curve for me first, then him. But, seriously, it was way easier than I thought it might be. Once he felt safe and secure and understood the 'routine' of my life, he learned how to be a house pet really quickly.

It'll be one year in March since I adopted him. We've been thru puppy and basic obedience classes. And we're currently in the intermediate class. We live with 4 cats. When the weather isn't freezing we go to the dog park. He goes to doggy day care one day per week when I work a double shift. He goes just about everywhere with me. He has "house manners", and "public" manners, and "dog class" manners, and yes, indeedy, he knows the difference 

As far as not pulling or dragging me around, I found this approach worked very well for us, if the human on the end of the leash doesn't mind looking like a fool for a few days....

I put his leash on his collar and walked out the front door. The second he hit the end of the leash and started pulling, I stopped cold. Eventually he turned around to see what the hold up was. When he moved in close enough that the leash had slack in it, I stepped forward. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. The first day, we never even made it out of the yard. The neighbors thought I was loony. But by day three he figured out that the only way forward, where he wanted to go, was to keep the leash slack.

After we started training classes, we worked on bringing him in closer and now he knows a formal "heel" position walk and a casual "no-pull" walk. His life would be much different and a lot less fun, if i wasn't able to walk him safely and sanely. So the few days I invested in looking like a fruitcake on the front walk was well worth it.

I wouldn't suggest you try this with Emmy unless you felt sure you could keep her from pulling you over the first few times she bounced into the end of leash. Do you have anybody that could help you with Emmy? Doesn't have to be a paid trainer or class, just somebody she can't pull around? Somebody that could teach her that she gets fun walks and treats if she doesn't pull?

I know Boo is working with a real trainer in her new business. Maybe she has some ideas?

The picture I posted is of the 2 of us at an arthritis foundation fundraiser called the "Arf-ritis" Walk. Thanks for noticing 'cause I think he's pretty awesome too     

Brachiate
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2009, 10:05:59 AM »

Brachiate great story about your big guy.  My trainer taught turning and walking in the other direction when pulled.  Easier to control a bounding dog by turning than trying to stop and keep him from advancing.  Its another method to try.  My big boy loves food and hates running water (water squirt bottle -- well it includes running tap water but that is another story), so good and bad are pretty easy to show him LMAO.
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »

Boo update on the job ---- please.  Can't wait to hear.
GabbyG
Scared Monkey

« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2009, 12:49:20 PM »

Hi GabbyG!  I said "hello" to you in musings when you said you were trying to add SM more to your life.  I am glad to see you posting and so happy that you found such a wonderful dog to help you thru life!

Hey Lovin, hi there!      Im so sorry I missed your post in musings! With all the excitement and stuff to read the past couple of days I havent checked back, I will do that right now and thank you or your post and your kind and caring words!

GabbyG
Scared Monkey

« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2009, 12:51:43 PM »

Hi GabbyG!  I said "hello" to you in musings when you said you were trying to add SM more to your life.  I am glad to see you posting and so happy that you found such a wonderful dog to help you thru life!

Hey Lovin, hi there!      Im so sorry I missed your post in musings! With all the excitement and stuff to read the past couple of days I havent checked back, I will do that right now and thank you for your post and your kind and caring words!

Corrected to say thank you FOR your post!!

BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2009, 10:10:07 PM »

The job is going great. We are still under construction, but will be open in March! Here's a link to some pics in my  photobucket of the place as it looks now.

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg50/gossamerwings7/Bark%20A%20Bout/

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2009, 10:16:15 PM »

Overweight in dogs is something most people don't understand.  Most dogs that are of proper weight people look at them and think they are malnourished.  You should be able to feel the ribs and backbone, very scary to most people.  So was my boy overweight, yes 3 - 5 pounds, doesn't sound like much, but for a dog, especially with hip problems, it is.  He has lost 4 pounds and I hope he will lose more this summer, when he can run at the dog park.

This 116# boy eats 3 cups of food a day.  I feed Innova, which is a non filler food, so equivalent to about 5 cups.  He loves frozen green beans and gets 1 cup a day, but can have extra for treats (very few calories) and then he gets 2 tbl of pumpkin or other fiber vegetable (he has gland elimination problems LOL).  I am very careful about giving him treats.  During the winter we do stair master, I stand at top of stairs and throw his kibble down, he runs up and down stairs about 40 times every day (he lives to eat, will do anything for food). 

We are considering getting him a treadmill since he did well with the water treadmill (it did take 4 times before he would do it).  I can't wait to take him to the retail store to try out the treadmills.  I am surprised at the stores that will allow you to bring your dog if you ask LOL. 
Good for you! Innova is really a great food. I highly recommend it for any dog. The treadmill are a great idea for any dog in a small area like an apartment. Even setting it to the lowest still gives them a work out needed to be healthy. We are going to have treadmills at Bark A Bout!

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #209 on: January 24, 2009, 10:23:32 PM »

Stair Master, that is funny. It's good you give him lots of exercise. My Joe came from living on a farm to an apartment. He gets little to no exercise. I didn't know stores would let you bring your dog in to try out a treadmill. That is awesome. You are awesome. I think dogs are great and hate it when people say "you spend too much money on your dog".
Since cattle dogs are normally so active, I would consider getting a treadmill for Joe! You need to wear that boy out. Though I know going to daycare usually does the trick with most dogs. Regarding Joe biting you when you are dropping off at daycare. You need to work with the employees there to help this situation. He is obviously having a separation anxiety with you. You need to let him know that YOU are in charge, not him. You don't have to be mean to do this. Letting him know that his behavior is not acceptable can be as simple as turning your head away when he looks you in the eye. You are not being submissive, but giving him the cold shoulder so to speak. If they have a trainer there, ask her for help. You need hands on training with this boy!

Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2009, 03:28:46 AM »

Cyrus is gorgeous.  Maybe you could use a flag to get him to slow down.

Hiya Today!

Thank you! I think he's a fine looking chap myself. I might be biased 

If I really wanted to,  I could probably figure out a signal for "slow down", but he spends so much of his life being "under control" (don't run in the house, watch out for the coffee table, don't bump into humans, walk very very slowly on icy sidewalks with mom, don't chase the cats, don't bounce on bed .... etc etc etc) that I don't mind getting myself out of the the way when he has the chance to run full tilt.

Your comments about turning and walking the other way to stop pulling on the leash are quite insightful. Much easier than trying to stop the forward momentum of a big dog. Where were you last spring when I needed that advice 

Brachiate
Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2009, 03:31:03 AM »

The job is going great. We are still under construction, but will be open in March! Here's a link to some pics in my  photobucket of the place as it looks now.

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg50/gossamerwings7/Bark%20A%20Bout/

Is that a swimming pool?
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2009, 08:19:22 AM »

Boo what a great place.  I wish it was close to me, but since I haven't heard about it, I'm sure its not.  We have one daycare. Well actually two, but second doesn't count since they don't watch the dogs, they just turn them loose to cough, cough play together.  I have heard of several injuries.  The real day care is wonderful as far as watching the dogs, but the area is so small they are with a vet.  I wish they were bigger, but its what is available and it is very well managed. 
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2009, 10:03:06 PM »

Hey Monkeys!  I wanted to get some advice from you regarding rawhide treats.  Leroy is really into chewing right now and I have read to many horror stories about giving dogs rawhide.  Do any of you give your dogs an alternative to rawhide such as pork hide, pig ears, etc.??  TIA

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
nomorenekkiddogs
Scared Monkey

Why wear fur when you can run around "Nekkid"

« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2009, 10:35:30 PM »

All three of my babies love pig ears.  I don't give rawhide much as they just don't care for it unless it is the shredded and then pressed kind and I don't know that that is very good for them.  Also hooves are wonderful for their chewing and at our meat department you can ask for soup bones or sometimes they have already dried and wrapped them for you.  Check in the fresh meat departments.  I also dry my own chicken strips and they love those.  The other thing that some of my forum members do for theirs is giving frozen, raw, chicken wings and that keeps them busy for a while.  I guess when they are fresh and not cooked they do not splinter like they do when they are cooked.  They swear by them.  I am not brave enough yet and besides I have a doggy door and if I kicked them out to eat them, they would just drag them back inside with them and make a mess on my carpet.  Seems like they don't feel they have to follow the rules of not eating out of the kitchen, lol

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2009, 11:24:23 PM »

All three of my babies love pig ears.  I don't give rawhide much as they just don't care for it unless it is the shredded and then pressed kind and I don't know that that is very good for them.  Also hooves are wonderful for their chewing and at our meat department you can ask for soup bones or sometimes they have already dried and wrapped them for you.  Check in the fresh meat departments.  I also dry my own chicken strips and they love those.  The other thing that some of my forum members do for theirs is giving frozen, raw, chicken wings and that keeps them busy for a while.  I guess when they are fresh and not cooked they do not splinter like they do when they are cooked.  They swear by them.  I am not brave enough yet and besides I have a doggy door and if I kicked them out to eat them, they would just drag them back inside with them and make a mess on my carpet.  Seems like they don't feel they have to follow the rules of not eating out of the kitchen, lol

Thank you so much for replying.  Leroy really like the pig ears but he eats them so fast it makes me nervous. I am definetly going to try the frozen chicken wings.  I need something that he wont devour in 2 minutes...lol.  Also, he is only 6 months old so I wasn't sure about the bones from the meat department...do you think that is too young for him to have?

nomorenekkiddogs
Scared Monkey

« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »

judging by your picture and his size, I don't think he is too young for bones from the meat section at all.  The may last a little longer too.  Did you try the hooves.  I know gross, but they really love them.  They are only about a dollar a piece here, don't know about where you are though.  It takes my babies a little while to get through them.   

Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »

My big boy loves to hide raw hide, so no danger there. For a dog that lives to eat this is strange. His favorite treat is green bean ice cream LMAO.  I blend green beans, a little dry milk, a little vanilla and freeze in the reusable throw away snack cups.  He just licks it until its gone (guess dogs don't get brain freeze). This is an almost 0 calorie treat.  It's the only treat that lasts longer than 30 seconds.  He eats so fast he has a special bowl to slow him down LMAO.

nomorenekkiddogs
Scared Monkey

« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2009, 04:05:54 PM »

well that sounds yucky, lol.  I guess maybe he likes it heh.      I also forgot to tell youaobut he busy bones .  They are a dental bone that have ridges kinda like a flower and my dogs love them.  It takes them forever and freshens their breath too.

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2009, 02:45:32 PM »

judging by your picture and his size, I don't think he is too young for bones from the meat section at all.  The may last a little longer too.  Did you try the hooves.  I know gross, but they really love them.  They are only about a dollar a piece here, don't know about where you are though.  It takes my babies a little while to get through them.   

Thank you all for the ideas and replies.  I went today and got some hooves so I'll let you know how it goes.  Thank you again.

I may try the green bean ice cream next...LOL.  Whatever works!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.