March 28, 2024, 02:28:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Four-legged Friends  (Read 251400 times)
QuietMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #300 on: February 12, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »

Hi Boo, I'm here!

RIP Sweet Puppy
QuietMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #301 on: February 12, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »

Hi Boo, I'm here!

BOO?????

RIP Sweet Puppy
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #302 on: February 12, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »

OK, we are talking about shedding!! Dogs generally shed twice a year, spring and fall. BUT there are those dogs who seem to be never ending. Unfortunately, short hair dogs shed more than long haired ones. The difference being that the long haired ones will shed and it will ball up, easily seen and easily picked up. The short hair ones are more difficult to see and end up weaving itself into your furniture and clothes. Pugs are NOTORIOUS sheders.

The best thing I can recommend is first using a de-shedding shampoo like: http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-deShedding-Shampoo-Dogs-Cats/dp/B00164S1ZK

Read directions! This shampoo will loosen that dead hair up and a lot will go down the drain. Once the coat is completely dry, use a tool called the Furminator: http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Large-Yellow-deShedding-4-Inch/dp/B000FSN0A4/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b choose the right size for your dog. This tool takes out the undercoat and you will get a ton of fur off! Now, you don't have to use that shampoo to use the Furminator. Make it a practice to groom your dog daily, even if it is for 5 minutes. Brushing stimulates the oils in the skin and gives your dog an overall healthy coat. The older dog is going through changes too. His coat won't be as healthy as a puppys. So grooming is a must to find bumps, sores, fleas or any type of problems that would indicate a change in his health.

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #303 on: February 12, 2009, 09:48:45 AM »

In my daily general assault of love on my dog Grissom, I have found a few lumps lately. Spinone's are a worrisome breed, so I'm hoping they are stress knots in his muscles. I've scheduled him another massage on Monday and will let you know what she says. I had her massage Grissom after an event I put on last year, where Grissom was with me in a hot parking lot from 7am to 7pm for 2 days. The boy was totally worn out. Those lumps weren't there last June, so I'm hoping she can just work the kinks out and I won't have to worry about him. Otherwise it's a trip to the vet for him! Massages aren't as expensive as you might think, I'm paying $30 for over an hour of time for him. Not bad for my babys health, and if it saves me peace of mind and a trip to the vet, well worth it.

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
QuietMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #304 on: February 12, 2009, 09:52:04 AM »

OK, we are talking about shedding!! Dogs generally shed twice a year, spring and fall. BUT there are those dogs who seem to be never ending. Unfortunately, short hair dogs shed more than long haired ones. The difference being that the long haired ones will shed and it will ball up, easily seen and easily picked up. The short hair ones are more difficult to see and end up weaving itself into your furniture and clothes. Pugs are NOTORIOUS sheders.

The best thing I can recommend is first using a de-shedding shampoo like: http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-deShedding-Shampoo-Dogs-Cats/dp/B00164S1ZK

Read directions! This shampoo will loosen that dead hair up and a lot will go down the drain. Once the coat is completely dry, use a tool called the Furminator: http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Large-Yellow-deShedding-4-Inch/dp/B000FSN0A4/ref=pd_bxgy_k_img_b choose the right size for your dog. This tool takes out the undercoat and you will get a ton of fur off! Now, you don't have to use that shampoo to use the Furminator. Make it a practice to groom your dog daily, even if it is for 5 minutes. Brushing stimulates the oils in the skin and gives your dog an overall healthy coat. The older dog is going through changes too. His coat won't be as healthy as a puppys. So grooming is a must to find bumps, sores, fleas or any type of problems that would indicate a change in his health.

Thanks for taking the time to help me Boo! You're an awesome dog grooming Monkey!! 

THANKS BOO!! 

RIP Sweet Puppy
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #305 on: February 12, 2009, 09:57:40 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to help me Boo! You're an awesome dog grooming Monkey!! 

THANKS BOO!! 

Thanks, I don't deserve that praise.....  shades of Nancy Grace!! hee hee hee. But Today brought up a very good point. Nutrition changes for dogs as they grow older. My friend has Shepherds and Shepherd mixs and just changed them over to Eukanuba German Shepherd Adult Dog Food. Her dogs are older and she has seen a big difference in them. Just a suggestion. I love Innova personally. I think it's complete.

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #306 on: February 12, 2009, 09:58:54 AM »

Boo - so your recommended dog food is Innova?

Leroy has always been on Purina Pro Plan for Large Breed Dogs...but the one for puppies.  Vet recommended it.

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #307 on: February 12, 2009, 10:05:35 AM »

Leroy has always been on Purina Pro Plan for Large Breed Dogs...but the one for puppies.  Vet recommended it.

Vets are paid by companies to recommend their products. Unfortunately, it's just a part of business. If you read the ingredients, Innova is very holistic and was never on the recall list. My boss is a dog nutritionist and her favorite is Solid Gold. Do some research on it and find what is best for your dog. Once our website is up and running, she will have a nutrition column going.

Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #308 on: February 12, 2009, 10:17:51 AM »

Hi Boo was taken away.  I love hearing your insight.  Can't wait for more pictures.  I would love to open a doggie day care.  There is only one in my area that actually watches and takes care of the dogs.  It's very small, about the size of a living and dinning room combination.  They are on a busy street and have no outside area for dogs to roam.  Potty is in a concrete fenced area.

I actually looked at a building which had been a library.  Perfect as 2nd floor would have rooms for a vet.  But they want 1.6 million and its not on the main highway to anywhere.  I'm too old for that kind of investment LMAO. 
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #309 on: February 12, 2009, 10:21:54 AM »

Vets are paid by companies to recommend their products. Unfortunately, it's just a part of business. If you read the ingredients, Innova is very holistic and was never on the recall list. My boss is a dog nutritionist and her favorite is Solid Gold. Do some research on it and find what is best for your dog. Once our website is up and running, she will have a nutrition column going.
  I hope you will be including information about canine byproducts that are in a lot of foods.  One of my big gripes.   

My dog really enjoys vegetables.  He came that way LMAO.  It's great because they are so low calorie and great for those anal glands.
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #310 on: February 12, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »

Another product I recommend anyone to look into is Dasuquin, for joints.  I have seen a big difference in my dog, who has flat ball and socket hip joints.

When we had him see a surgeon, she recommended this product.  She was pregnant and was taking the human version (not out yet) herself.  This said safe to me. 

I have also used Syn-flex.  This is a human grade product and I also took it.  I did not see the improvement that I have seen with Dasuquin, but my dog's hip problem is severe. 
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #311 on: February 12, 2009, 10:35:19 AM »

Another product I recommend anyone to look into is Dasuquin, for joints.  I have seen a big difference in my dog, who has flat ball and socket hip joints.

When we had him see a surgeon, she recommended this product.  She was pregnant and was taking the human version (not out yet) herself.  This said safe to me. 

I have also used Syn-flex.  This is a human grade product and I also took it.  I did not see the improvement that I have seen with Dasuquin, but my dog's hip problem is severe. 

Wow, I will check into this. Grissom is 6 years old and a large breed (106 lbs) and I have noticed him moving slower in the morning. A week or so ago, he missed jumping in the back of the Jeep and actually fell on his back! So I am very concerned about joint care!! Thanks for the info!!

BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #312 on: February 12, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »

Hi Boo was taken away.  I love hearing your insight.  Can't wait for more pictures.  I would love to open a doggie day care.  There is only one in my area that actually watches and takes care of the dogs.  It's very small, about the size of a living and dinning room combination.  They are on a busy street and have no outside area for dogs to roam.  Potty is in a concrete fenced area.

I actually looked at a building which had been a library.  Perfect as 2nd floor would have rooms for a vet.  But they want 1.6 million and its not on the main highway to anywhere.  I'm too old for that kind of investment LMAO. 

Wow, that's too bad! I think doggie day care and a place for them to run is important. I sit on a dog park committee and think it's essential to their well being to be able to full out run once in a while and have social interaction with other dogs! We have quite a few over here in my part of Michigan. The place I'm working at now will have everything a dog could need. This woman has done over 6 years of research on dog boarding etc. and I'm so impressed with her!

BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #313 on: February 12, 2009, 10:42:22 AM »

I hope you will be including information about canine byproducts that are in a lot of foods.  One of my big gripes.   

My dog really enjoys vegetables.  He came that way LMAO.  It's great because they are so low calorie and great for those anal glands.

ITA!! If people really knew what those by products were they would never feed it to their babies!!  They are so unnecessary and are just put in there for bulk, cheapness and to line executive pockets!! You would be better off feeding table scraps than some of the crap that is out there!!!

Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #314 on: February 12, 2009, 01:14:16 PM »

ITA!! If people really knew what those by products were they would never feed it to their babies!!  They are so unnecessary and are just put in there for bulk, cheapness and to line executive pockets!! You would be better off feeding table scraps than some of the crap that is out there!!!
Dogs are not meant to be cannibals.  Some of these food producers are ridiculous.  Don't even get me started on what is out there that is fed to kids.  In addition to other things I think the increase in autism and other conditions can be traced to our food supply.  I think we will hear more and more, not only problems from China, but problems at home (like a child's staple: peanut butter).
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #315 on: February 12, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »

So I ordered the large size Furminator today from Overstock.com....with shipping it was only $46!!!!  Best deal I found and I cant wait to get it!

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #316 on: February 12, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »

Please read the list below for your pet's health. It's the latest pet food recall!!
The following items manufactured by American Nutrition, Inc. are subject to this recall:

American Nutrition Vita Bone Flavors Large Dog Treats (48oz. box)
UPC 0 12623 73480 4, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

American Nutrition Vita Bone Flavors Medium Dog Treats (24oz. box)
UPC 0 12623 73241 1, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

American Nutrition Vita Bone Flavors Small Dog Treats (24oz. box)
UPC 0 12623 73240 4, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

American Nutrition Vita Snacks Peanut  Butter (3oz. plastic bag)
UPC 0 12623 81315 8, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Farm Style Small Assorted Dog Biscuits (5 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 78601 90205 4, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Hill Country Fare Small 5 Flavor Dog Biscuits (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 41220 52080 0, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Hill Country Fare Small Peanut  Butter Dog Biscuits (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 41220 17538 3, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Integrity Small Assorted Dog Biscuits (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 64237 14639 8, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Northwest Royal Small Dog Biscuits Assorted Flavors (5 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 71357 00337 2, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Mill Creek Premium Large Assorted Dog Biscuits (20 lb. box)
UPC 0 78601 95106 9, Lot Codes: 001A7xxx to 018A9xxx

Mill Creek Premium Small Assorted Dog Biscuits (20 lb. box)
UPC 0 78601 95105 2, Lot Codes: 001A7xxx to 018A9xxx

Premium Smarty Dog Biscuits Assorted Flavors Small  (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 41512 04609 4, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Springfield Prize Multi-Flavor Dog Biscuits (26 oz. box)
UPC 0 41380 14169 3, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Springfield Prize Multi-Flavor Dog Biscuits (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 41380 13965 2, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Western Family Biscuits Multi-Flavor (10 lb. box)
UPC 0 15400 06229 9  , Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Western Family Biscuits Multi-Flavor (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 15400 06408 8 , Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Western Family Biscuits Multi-Flavor (18 oz. box)
UPC 0 15400 03886 7, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Next Gen Pet Products Small Assorted Biscuits (30 lb. box)
Lot Codes: 001A7xxx to 018A9xxx

Small Assorted Dog Biscuits-Bulk (1/25# box)

Western Family (Canada only) Small Dog Biscuits 4 Assorted Flavors (2 Kg. plastic bag)
UPC 0 62639 29585 1, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Yeaster Small Assorted (30 lb. box)

Consumers who purchased the recalled items should discontinue use immediately and return items to the store location where they were purchased or destroy any remaining product.

No other products other than those listed above are part of this recall.  For more information on Salmonella, please visit the FDA website at http://www.fda.gov/salmonella.

Consumer safety is important to American Nutrition, Inc.  The company sincerely regrets any inconvenience this may cause our valued customers.  For additional information, please contact American Nutrition at 1-800-257-4530 between 8 A.M. and 5 P.M. Monday through Friday, Mountain time.

For a list of other company recalls and more information on FDAʼs ongoing investigation, visit FDAʼs website at www.fda.gov.

FL Beagle Mom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #317 on: February 12, 2009, 07:33:33 PM »

Thanks for the info Boo!  I'm enjoying reading your tips. I have 3 dogs...

one Golden Retriever named Sandy, she's 12.  She has a lot of those fat deposit lumps on her. The vet tested the lumps and they have that oily stuff in them.

Sandy:

Sam:  german shepherd (mix? prolly has something else in her)  we adopted Sam from a bad home situation

then the beagle Murphy. I got her for my husband for Father's Day 5 years ago...she's our baby. Very funny and animated.

Everyone has such neat pets... it's good to see them all...being the animal lover that I am

Caylee's Warriors:  Relax, I've got this one -- GOD
pixiecat
Scared Monkey

« Reply #318 on: February 12, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »

I didn't even know that we had a four-legged friends section!   

I have 5 cats (I promise, I'm not that stereotypical crazy cat lady).  We live in a condo without a yard, so the kitties are all indoors.  I'm also a dog lover, but without a yard, our home isn't ideal for a dog.  When we move to a house, my hubby and I plan on adding a dog to our large, four-legged family.

4 out of my 5 cats are on my avatar. 

Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #319 on: February 12, 2009, 07:49:39 PM »

Boo, I thought they reported that dogs don't get salmonella.  Another lie?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.