March 29, 2024, 09:32:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Four-legged Friends  (Read 251613 times)
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #320 on: February 12, 2009, 08:04:07 PM »

Boo, I thought they reported that dogs don't get salmonella.  Another lie?

Not exactly a lie. A healthy canine stomach with healthy natural stomach aren't nearly so effected by salmonella and e.coli, it's when we feed them sterile dried food and starve their natural stomach juices that they begin to have problems with lower level bacteria. Keep in mind that YOU or your children are also handling these contaminated treats and if you don't wash your hands directly after handling, you could be effected by them too. I don't want to feed my dog anything that I know is contaminated with this dangerous bacteria. Take any of the listed treats back to the store and demand a refund, also demand that they take them off the shelf, so no one else gets hurt. Too many pets died in the last recall. Many many more than what was reported. A lot of them elderly or sick to begin with. Some pets have sensitive stomachs and these treats will set off a chain reaction you don't want to have to pay for!!

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #321 on: February 12, 2009, 08:05:09 PM »

I didn't even know that we had a four-legged friends section!   

I have 5 cats (I promise, I'm not that stereotypical crazy cat lady).  We live in a condo without a yard, so the kitties are all indoors.  I'm also a dog lover, but without a yard, our home isn't ideal for a dog.  When we move to a house, my hubby and I plan on adding a dog to our large, four-legged family.

4 out of my 5 cats are on my avatar. 

Your not crazy, try 7!! And I'm not even the crazy cat lady!! My sister is!!

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #322 on: February 12, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »

I didn't even think about people handling contaminated dog treats.  We really need to stop poisoning the food supply.  Thanks for the information, very interesting. 
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #323 on: February 13, 2009, 07:06:37 AM »

I have not heard of bleach water, but I looked it up on the web and it seems a lot of people swear by it. But I'm a little leary of putting bleach on my dog, he has sensitive skin.

For fleas, I would recommend washing your dog with Dawn dish soap, it's made with animals in mind (they washed the animals from the Exxon oil spill in this) and it doesn't strip the oil out of their coats. Start by washing the head first, make a ring of soap around their necks and up behind their ears. The fleas, once they figure out a bath is coming will run to the head and the butt area to "hide", then come back later. Dawn will soften their shells and kill them. I also recommend doing a final rinse with a 1/3 water, 1/3 baby oil and 1/3 Listerine. Listerine kills fleas and is an antiseptic for any itchy skin. This mixture is awesome to use on Hot Spots too. Spray the mixture on his bedding too.

You can buy a very cheap flea collar, snap it to activate, cut it into pieces and put it in your vacuum bag. That way, when you vacuum the fleas up, they will die in the bag.

they are great tips thanks Boo.  I dont know if Aussie dawn is same as usa.  I think our dawn here is real concentrated, but when in usa, your dawn is different.  The listerine is a good tip. 

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #324 on: February 13, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »

I have 5 cats (I promise, I'm not that stereotypical crazy cat lady).  We live in a condo without a yard, so the kitties are all indoors.  I'm also a dog lover, but without a yard, our home isn't ideal for a dog.  When we move to a house, my hubby and I plan on adding a dog to our large, four-legged family.

It's good to know that other people attract cats.Not only do I have digger and Taco,I also have a motley crew of semi wild cats that are here every morning.I'm not even sure how many there are now.So far there is Billie,Bobbie Rex,Baby Drew,Babie,and Ghost(part russian blue),and the rest don't have names.  ::MonkeyTongue::They live in the caves off the bluff.We also have 2 occational foxes.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #325 on: February 13, 2009, 10:45:39 AM »

It's good to know that other people attract cats.Not only do I have digger and Taco,I also have a motley crew of semi wild cats that are here every morning.I'm not even sure how many there are now.So far there is Billie,Bobbie Rex,Baby Drew,Babie,and Ghost(part russian blue),and the rest don't have names.   They live in the caves off the bluff.We also have 2 occasional foxes.

Boo,what are the best non irritating cleaners for kennels?My Taco has sensitive feet.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #326 on: February 13, 2009, 10:56:32 AM »

Boo,what are the best non irritating cleaners for kennels?My Taco has sensitive feet.

I'm not sure about kennels, but for those looking for something for their homes, I use vinegar.  I use it on my hardwood, tile and vinyl.  It kills germs and bacteria.  My 4 leg house resident is not sensitive on feet so don't know if its helping that.  But is cheap and effective for cleaning and when dry the vinegar smell goes away.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #327 on: February 13, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »

I'm not sure about kennels, but for those looking for something for their homes, I use vinegar.  I use it on my hardwood, tile and vinyl.  It kills germs and bacteria.  My 4 leg house resident is not sensitive on feet so don't know if its helping that.  But is cheap and effective for cleaning and when dry the vinegar smell goes away.

Thanks Today.

~ Peter Frampton
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #328 on: February 14, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »

It's good to know that other people attract cats.Not only do I have digger and Taco,I also have a motley crew of semi wild cats that are here every morning.I'm not even sure how many there are now.So far there is Billie,Bobbie Rex,Baby Drew,Babie,and Ghost(part russian blue),and the rest don't have names.   They live in the caves off the bluff.We also have 2 occasional foxes.

For kennel cleaning, a very good one is called H20 Orange. http://www.h2orange2cleaning.com/

The Wysiwash system is also good, but not in a house that doesn't have drains in the floor!! 

Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #329 on: February 14, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »

This is my old cat, Mittens (aka Kitty).   He is 14 years old and is getting in bad shape.  It will be a sad day when he passes. 

Today is that sad day.   I had to put my sweet little Mittens down this morning.   Its not been a good Valentine's Day for us.  He liver was failing quickly.   He hadn't been eating much this week, and started stumbling around last night.   We got him in this morning - but the vet didn't think she could really help him.       

The little box they put him in had this poem attached.   

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #330 on: February 14, 2009, 05:22:37 PM »

Today is that sad day.   I had to put my sweet little Mittens down this morning.   Its not been a good Valentine's Day for us.  He liver was failing quickly.   He hadn't been eating much this week, and started stumbling around last night.   We got him in this morning - but the vet didn't think she could really help him.       

The little box they put him in had this poem attached.   

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

I am so sorry, I'm sending a hug your way.
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #331 on: February 15, 2009, 09:01:04 AM »

I am so sorry, I'm sending a hug your way.

Thanks Today.    He was such a good kitty.   Always purring and lovable.    When I posted his picture 10 days ago, I knew he wasn't doing that well, but I had no idea that I'd have to put him to sleep so soon. 
numbersgirl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #332 on: February 15, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »

Sassycat....I'm so sorry for what you're going through.  I'm sure your Mittens knows how much you love him.  These little creatures walk into our lives and leave their pawprints on our hearts.  It's so hard to say goodbye.  (((((Sassycat)))))
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #333 on: February 15, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »

Thanks for the info Boo. 

Sassycat....... 

~ Peter Frampton
BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #334 on: February 15, 2009, 07:56:06 PM »

The following was found posted very low on a refrigerator door.

Dear Dogs and Cats:

The dishes with the paw prints are yours and contain your food. All of the other dishes are mine and contain my food. Placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not make it your food and dish, nor do I find it aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Racing me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I can't buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort, however. Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other, stretched out to the fullest extent possible. Also, sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out on the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is no secret exit from the bathroom! If, by some miracle, I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge in an attempt to open the door. I must exit through the same door I entered. Also, I have been using the bathroom for years - canine/feline assistance is not required.

The proper order for kissing is: Kiss me first, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough.

Finally, in fairness, dear pets, I have posted the following message on the front door:

TO ALL NON-PET OWNERS WHO VISIT AND LIKE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT OUR PETS:

(1) They live here. You don't.

(2) If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. That's why they call it 'fur'-niture.

(3) I like my pets a lot better than I like most people.

(4) To you, they are animals. To me, they are adopted sons/daughters who are short, hairy, walk on all fours and don't speak clearly.

Remember, dogs and cats are better than kids because they

(1) eat less,
(2) don't ask for money all the time,
(3) are easier to train,
(4) normally come when called,
(5) never ask to drive the car,
(6) don't hang out with drug-using people;
(7) don't smoke or drink,
(Cool don't want to wear your clothes,
(9) don't have to buy the latest fashions,
(10) don't need a gazillion dollars for college and
(11) if they get pregnant, you can sell their children ...
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #335 on: February 16, 2009, 10:26:27 AM »

Thanks Numbersgirl and Trimm!

BabsKats - that is pretty good, and true!    Especially the "fur"niture part.   LOL.    At my house, the top of the frig holds two lint brushes - which everyone grabs to use - as they are heading out the door.   With four cats in the house, hair is everywhere!    But, we like it that way!        

I, too, like my cats more than I like most people.       

Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #336 on: February 16, 2009, 10:44:13 AM »

Babs thanks that was so true.  Have forwarded to some friends.
pharlap
Monkey Junky

« Reply #337 on: February 16, 2009, 12:45:08 PM »

Please read the list below for your pet's health. It's the latest pet food recall!!
The following items manufactured by American Nutrition, Inc. are subject to this recall:

American Nutrition Vita Bone Flavors Large Dog Treats (48oz. box)
UPC 0 12623 73480 4, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

American Nutrition Vita Bone Flavors Medium Dog Treats (24oz. box)
UPC 0 12623 73241 1, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

American Nutrition Vita Bone Flavors Small Dog Treats (24oz. box)
UPC 0 12623 73240 4, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

American Nutrition Vita Snacks Peanut  Butter (3oz. plastic bag)
UPC 0 12623 81315 8, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Farm Style Small Assorted Dog Biscuits (5 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 78601 90205 4, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Hill Country Fare Small 5 Flavor Dog Biscuits (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 41220 52080 0, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Hill Country Fare Small Peanut  Butter Dog Biscuits (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 41220 17538 3, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Integrity Small Assorted Dog Biscuits (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 64237 14639 8, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Northwest Royal Small Dog Biscuits Assorted Flavors (5 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 71357 00337 2, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Mill Creek Premium Large Assorted Dog Biscuits (20 lb. box)
UPC 0 78601 95106 9, Lot Codes: 001A7xxx to 018A9xxx

Mill Creek Premium Small Assorted Dog Biscuits (20 lb. box)
UPC 0 78601 95105 2, Lot Codes: 001A7xxx to 018A9xxx

Premium Smarty Dog Biscuits Assorted Flavors Small  (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 41512 04609 4, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Springfield Prize Multi-Flavor Dog Biscuits (26 oz. box)
UPC 0 41380 14169 3, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Springfield Prize Multi-Flavor Dog Biscuits (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 41380 13965 2, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Western Family Biscuits Multi-Flavor (10 lb. box)
UPC 0 15400 06229 9  , Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Western Family Biscuits Multi-Flavor (4 lb. plastic bag)
UPC 0 15400 06408 8 , Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Western Family Biscuits Multi-Flavor (18 oz. box)
UPC 0 15400 03886 7, Best Before: All Dates prior to JAN 18 10

Next Gen Pet Products Small Assorted Biscuits (30 lb. box)
Lot Codes: 001A7xxx to 018A9xxx

Small Assorted Dog Biscuits-Bulk (1/25# box)

Western Family (Canada only) Small Dog Biscuits 4 Assorted Flavors (2 Kg. plastic bag)
UPC 0 62639 29585 1, Best Before: All Dates prior to 01/18/10

Yeaster Small Assorted (30 lb. box)

Consumers who purchased the recalled items should discontinue use immediately and return items to the store location where they were purchased or destroy any remaining product.

No other products other than those listed above are part of this recall.  For more information on Salmonella, please visit the FDA website at http://www.fda.gov/salmonella.

Consumer safety is important to American Nutrition, Inc.  The company sincerely regrets any inconvenience this may cause our valued customers.  For additional information, please contact American Nutrition at 1-800-257-4530 between 8 A.M. and 5 P.M. Monday through Friday, Mountain time.

For a list of other company recalls and more information on FDAʼs ongoing investigation, visit FDAʼs website at www.fda.gov.

Holy crap there's a lot of them............
Tks so much for this list............

I have 2 yellow labs..........

CA = Albatross     Oh no "the fog"           
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #338 on: February 16, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »

Pharlap,those are great looking labs.   

~ Peter Frampton
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #339 on: February 17, 2009, 08:05:20 PM »

Great picture thought I would share
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.