March 28, 2024, 11:35:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Four-legged Friends  (Read 251468 times)
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #340 on: February 17, 2009, 09:39:51 PM »

I am so sorry, I'm sending a hug your way.

Thanks Today.    He was such a good kitty.   Always purring and lovable.    When I posted his picture 10 days ago, I knew he wasn't doing that well, but I had no idea that I'd have to put him to sleep so soon. 

Sassy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it's so tough. But you did the right thing. Sometimes being a good Mama is the hardest thing to do! When the quality of life is gone, it's up to you to make it right for them. I know I will have to make that decision in the near future. I have a old blind chow/corgi mix named Bailey. I have renicknamed her pinball b/c she keeps walking into walls. But health wise, she's still doing OK. She can't hold her pee anymore and can smell a damn thing, so I have to put her food directly in front of her. But if she starts to wobble or show any other signs of being in pain, I will be in your shoes. The wrong thing to do is let them suffer b/c we can't bear the pain of doing what you did. That's not helping them at all.

I'm sure you will cherish the memories he gave you and you both will meet on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Hugs from us to you!

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #341 on: February 18, 2009, 09:21:50 PM »

I am so sorry, I'm sending a hug your way.

Thanks Today.    He was such a good kitty.   Always purring and lovable.    When I posted his picture 10 days ago, I knew he wasn't doing that well, but I had no idea that I'd have to put him to sleep so soon. 

Sassy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it's so tough. But you did the right thing. Sometimes being a good Mama is the hardest thing to do! When the quality of life is gone, it's up to you to make it right for them. I know I will have to make that decision in the near future. I have a old blind chow/corgi mix named Bailey. I have renicknamed her pinball b/c she keeps walking into walls. But health wise, she's still doing OK. She can't hold her pee anymore and can smell a damn thing, so I have to put her food directly in front of her. But if she starts to wobble or show any other signs of being in pain, I will be in your shoes. The wrong thing to do is let them suffer b/c we can't bear the pain of doing what you did. That's not helping them at all.

I'm sure you will cherish the memories he gave you and you both will meet on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Hugs from us to you!

Thanks Boo.   I appreciate your kind words.   I knew it was coming - and it still hurt something terrible.     My girls grew up with this cat - and it was even worse on them.    He had a good life - he was spoiled rotten - and ruled the house.    He always had to sleep in the bed with us - never was happy on the floor!     We have lots of pictures of him - and lots of great memories.

Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #342 on: February 21, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »

My boy has a play date today.  Life is good.

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #343 on: February 21, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »

For the doxie lovers out there..

YouTube of a doxie trying to walk in new boots.  Looks like a drunken ballerina.  And this is exactly what my doxie looked like when he tried out his new snow boots.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hbZMNZnj_A&eurl=http://dailydachshund.blogspot.com/2008/01/these-dachshund-boots-arent-made-for.html&feature=player_embedded

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #344 on: February 21, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »

For the doxie lovers out there..

YouTube of a doxie trying to walk in new boots.  Looks like a drunken ballerina.  And this is exactly what my doxie looked like when he tried out his new snow boots.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hbZMNZnj_A&eurl=http://dailydachshund.blogspot.com/2008/01/these-dachshund-boots-arent-made-for.html&feature=player_embedded

Too funny.
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #345 on: February 25, 2009, 05:31:41 PM »

Sassy ~ I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had a cat named Mittens too.  He had seven toes on each front foot.  We grew up together and he's been gone a long time.  I hope he's waiting with your Mittens at the foot of Rainbow Brige. 

Lovin

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #346 on: February 26, 2009, 10:30:36 PM »

Sassy ~ I'm so sorry for your loss.  I had a cat named Mittens too.  He had seven toes on each front foot.  We grew up together and he's been gone a long time.  I hope he's waiting with your Mittens at the foot of Rainbow Brige. 

Lovin

Awwww.    Thanks!       I love cats.   Sometimes, I treat them better than my hubby!         I still have my siamese (including Sassycat) to keep me company.    Sassycat is the oldest - and she is only 5 years old - so I shouldn't have to say goodbye to another one anytime soon, God willing.     Hugs. 
Garden Gnome
Scared Monkey

« Reply #347 on: March 01, 2009, 04:58:42 PM »

My daughter teaches in a night school and the other night some little 12/13 y/o punk comes in and tries to sell a puppy.  A four week old puppy.  His eyes are barely open and he can't walk steady yet.  My daughter tossed the kid $40.00 and brought the pup home.  We are now hand feeding him around the clock, much to disgust of our other four dogs!

We don't even know what kind of pup he is!  Looks like he has a little lab in him. 

We just keep repeating to ourselves "we can't have another dog", "we can't have five dogs" but this fellow is just adorable.

Any guesses on what breeds he may contain?

Every now and then soft as breath upon my skin, I feel you come back again....and I believe.
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #348 on: March 01, 2009, 05:23:14 PM »

GG~ that puppy would have made his way into my home too!  What a cutiepie!  I don't have a guess on the bloodline although I do agree there's some Black Lab in there somewhere!

Lovinlife

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
Garden Gnome
Scared Monkey

« Reply #349 on: March 01, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »

I was cooking dinner tonight and put "Brady" (new pup) in my bedroom to keep the other doggies away from him.  Well, I peeked in and he was asleep in my slipper!  I took a quick pic and went back to the kitchen.  A little while later, I started feeling uneasy about him in the slipper and I went to check.  There he is, upside down, way, way down inside the slipper.  He couldn't get out!  Thank God, I checked, the poor little guy was huffing and puffing, he was so stressed!  God, it is like having a newborn baby in the house... 

Every now and then soft as breath upon my skin, I feel you come back again....and I believe.
numbersgirl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #350 on: March 07, 2009, 04:26:19 PM »

I'm going to try to post some pics, don't have photobucket so bear with me!  Here are my 3 kitties.  TJ and my son are 2 peas in a pod and this is the one that BITES me  .  Mercedes is Sierra's mom.  It looks like I only like tabbies.  I love all animals, these are the ones that have "chosen" to be in our lives (ie arrived @ our doors step as strays).

Awe LovinLife....what a beautiful family you have!  I totally get what you're saying...I love all animals too.  I just happen to have two little kitties because I live in a condo and work a lot of hours.  I couldn't give a dog the time and attention he would deserve.  I do have my nephew Curby though.  He's my brother's Border Collie and I just love him (and I think he loves me too) hehe.
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #351 on: March 12, 2009, 12:25:36 PM »

The following was found posted very low on a refrigerator door

Dear Dogs and Cats:  The dishes with the paw prints are yours and contain your food.  The other dishes are mine and contain my food.  Placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack.  Racing me to the bottom is not the object.  Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed.  I am very sorry about this.  Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort, however.  Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep.  It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other, stretched out to the fullest extent possible.  I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out on the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is no secret exit from the bathroom! If, by some miracle, I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge in an attempt to open the door.  I must exit through the same door I entered.  Also, I have been using the bathroom for years - canine/feline attendance is not required.

The proper order for kissing is:  Kiss me first, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt.  I cannot stress this enough.

Finally, in fairness, dear pets, I have posted the following message on the front door:
TO ALL NON-PET OWNERS WHO VISIT AND LIKE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT OUR PETS...

1. They live here.  You don't. 

2. If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.  That's why they call it 'fur'-niture. 

3. I like my pets a lot better than I like most people. 

4. To you, they are animals.  To me, they are adopted sons/daughters who are short, hairy, walk on all fours and don't speak clearly.

Remember, dogs and cats are better than kids because they:
  1.  eat less,
  2.  don't ask for money all the time,
  3.  are easier to train,
  4.  normally come when called,
  5.  never ask to drive the car,
  6.  don't hang out with drug-using people;
  7.  don't smoke or drink,
  8.  don't want to wear your clothes,
  9.  don't have to buy the latest fashions,
10.  don't need a gazillion dollars for college  and
11.  if they get pregnant, you can sell their children...
chi-monkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #352 on: March 15, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »

KCJackie ...  I loved your post.  I'm a total newby and have 3 chihuahuas who previously lived with friends of mine, plus one poodle, a sweet little guy, who has had to accept the new roomies.    They fill my life with love and adventure.
javascript:void(0);

suzyinpgh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #353 on: March 17, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »

Does anyone here know anything about cushings disease in dogs.  Blood test show that my dog may have it.  Wendy is about 8 1/2 years old.  She lost 30 lbs in the last 3 months.  I am just sick over this.  She seemed to go downhill so fast.
Today
Monkey Junky

« Reply #354 on: March 17, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »

Does anyone here know anything about cushings disease in dogs.  Blood test show that my dog may have it.  Wendy is about 8 1/2 years old.  She lost 30 lbs in the last 3 months.  I am just sick over this.  She seemed to go downhill so fast.
Boo Monkey might be able to help.  I sent her a nanner.  So hopefully you will hear soon.
suzyinpgh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »

Boo Monkey might be able to help.  I sent her a nanner.  So hopefully you will hear soon.
Thanks Today,  I just got back from the drug store.  My vet consulted with another vet and now they believe that she is diabetic and I have to get her on insulin immediately.  ( Immediately to the vet means that she took her good old time calling the perscription in, then she has to break for lunch, so I can take Wendy in at 2:00 so she  can teach me how to give her insulin shots.)
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »

I'm so sorry, I just saw this post! Suzyinpgh, I found this link, I hope it helps http://www.vetinfo.com/dcushing.html I hope your vet is working with you on this. It states that dogs w/ cushings can live another 2 years. 30 lbs in 3 months is way too fast. I hope and pray your Vet can bring your baby some relief.

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
suzyinpgh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #357 on: March 19, 2009, 07:00:50 AM »

I'm so sorry, I just saw this post! Suzyinpgh, I found this link, I hope it helps http://www.vetinfo.com/dcushing.html I hope your vet is working with you on this. It states that dogs w/ cushings can live another 2 years. 30 lbs in 3 months is way too fast. I hope and pray your Vet can bring your baby some relief.

Boo, thanks for getting back to me.  Actually after further testing, it was determined that she is diabetic.  She has already perked up a little since we have her on insulin.  I feel really stupid for not seeing signs earlier.  When we had her to the vet 3 months ago, the vet told us she had to lose weight.  So we cut down on her food.  (We were really feeling like we were starving her.)  But, she was loosing weight, so we figured we were doing the right thing. 

Thanks again for your concern.
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2009, 12:02:40 AM »

KCJackie, I am laffing sooooo hard at what you posted!!  It's so OMG true!!   

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #359 on: March 20, 2009, 12:04:20 AM »

Dear Dogs of Mine,

It seems that lately things have gotten a smidge slack around here. I feel it is time to remind you of the rules that heretofore we have operated under. You are both cute dogs, but your continued cuteness in no way negates our previous agreement. Let me remind you of a few details of this agreement.

1. In exchange for room and board, you are to guard the kingdom. That would be guarding the kingdom from any and all bad guys, robbers, serial killers, etc. Feel free to bark maniacally at any of those that should appear in the yard. Guarding the kingdom does NOT include barking maniacally at bunnies, squirrels, cows, sheep and invisible things that only you can see, especially between the hours of 5am (when I stumble out of bed to let you out) and 8am (when I actually have to be out of bed to get to work).
(And let me take a moment here to remind you that the pizza guy is a potential bad guy. He is not your friend. Just because he comes bearing food does not allow him free and easy access to the kingdom. He is potentially way more dangerous than the bunnies that you threaten to tear limb from limb.)

2. All of the stuff that lives in the toy basket is yours. Everything else is mine. Yours includes squeaky balls, random bones, partially unstuffed stuffed animals and chew ropes. Mine includes any and all shoes on the floor (especially the expensive leather ones), underwear that missed the hamper, bras, socks, dishtowels, the remote, the cell phone, the legs of my grandmother's antique chair and the vacuum. Did I mention shoes? ALL the shoes are mine. They come in pairs, not quads, for a reason.

3. The cat gets to sleep on the bed. You do not. You each weigh 50 pounds. The cat weighs 12. You sleep smack dab in the middle of the bed with all four feet spread out covering approximately 12 square feet apiece. The cat sleeps in a neat little ball covering about 2 square feet. The cat does not bring fleas into the house. You do. You, dogs, will never be allowed to sleep on the bed. Quit sneaking up when you think I'm not looking. Your 50 pounds of dogginess negates your stealth superpowers. I know you are up there!!

4. Speaking of the cat- when he hunkers down into that little mound, lays his ears back, squints his eyes and growls way back in his chest, HE IS NOT A HAPPY KITTY. Leave him alone. He does not want to play with you. What he wants to do is poke your eyes out and shread the skin around your face. He can do that, you know. Five of his 6 ends are really sharp and pointy. He has previously shown very little restraint. Clearly he enjoys smacking you upside the head with a paw full of claws. Do not aggrevate him. When he takes your head off after you have cornered him, I will let him. You have been forewarned.

5. The cat is mean. He will lead you down a path to destruction. He likes to tear around the house winding you up. He does this knowingly and intentionally. When you chase him, I will only yell at you for careening into walls and furniture. He knows this. Quit falling for it.

6. If you find something in the garbage can, assume that I intend for it to be there. Plastic tampon shells are not chew toys. Don't eat them.

7. Also not for doggy consumption- anything you find in the litter box. This is why you no longer get to kiss me.

8. You are allowed to sleep on the furniture. You are not allowed to eat the furniture.

9. Yes, I have to leave every day to go to work. No, you cannot go with me. That's why there are two of you, so you can entertain each other. The cat gets to stay in the house. You both have to stay outside while I'm gone. The cat does not chew things up. You do. Quit whining about it. Your porch is air-conditioned. It's just like inside the house minus the sofa. If you'd quit chewing up dog beds, it would be just like inside the house. You have made your own proverbial bed by destroying two very expensive dog cushions.

10. I have opposable thumbs. This is why I get to be in charge. I can open cans, doors, and bags of treats. I am the only one in the house that can operate the hose sprayer. I'm also the only one with a driver's license and a car. I win. Being cute is no match for opposable thumbs.

While I in no way wish to suppress your rightful dogginess, I feel that these very simple guidelines will allow us to continue to co-exist in peaceful harmony. Please know though, that should you choose to continue in willful violation of these rules, I WILL PUT THE CAT IN CHARGE. He has just been itching for a position in management.

Much thanks,
The Human

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.