March 28, 2024, 09:38:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Four-legged Friends  (Read 251458 times)
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #380 on: April 20, 2009, 06:46:52 PM »

Hello to all my Monkey Friends,

This past weekend we lost our beloved German Shepherd Zee to a condition that has completely turned our lives upside down. I want to share with you some information about this deadly condition that afflicts larger dogs and seemingly German Shepherds are hit hard. This condition is has several names but in laymen's terms it is called Torsion or Bloat, Intestinal twist or stomach twist.  The symptoms of this condition are rather ambiguous as dogs will develop them and they aren't symptoms you would think require a visit to the vet but if this ever happens to your loved one act fast and without reservation....trust me every single minute is crucial and could save your pets life.

On Thursday evening we noticed our Zee was not himself - rather lethargic and quiet.  He was constipated (which has happened before but quickly passed) of course we watched over him and thought it would be ok. On Friday afternoon he was not better - still quiet but was drooling so we wisked him to the vet - they ran tests and xrays - he had a fever but blood work was negative for anything - they did notice his small intestine was enlarged and instructed us to get to the pet hospital 30 miles away that he would need surgery.  They called ahead and they were waiting for us unfortunately our boy died minutes from arriving at the hospital - needless to say we were and still are devastated. 

He was a happy healthy dog one day and the next he was dead, this condition is life threatening and takes your dog FAST.  We have shed tears for days now and can't seem to wrap our arms around this loss - we are in terrible pain and our hearts are broke.  I encourage you to read up on this and be aware as knowledge is power.  I have listed a few links for you and pray this will never happen to anyone.

http://leerburg.com/bloat.htm
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/bloat.htm

Mission, what a beautiful dog. I am so sorry for your loss. I have heard of this in horses, but not in dogs. Thanks so much for the info and I am crying for you as I am typing. No words can help you right now, just no that I am saying a prayer for you. JSM

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #381 on: April 20, 2009, 07:47:03 PM »

This past weekend we lost our beloved German Shepherd Zee to a condition that has completely turned our lives upside down. I want to share with you some information about this deadly condition that afflicts larger dogs and seemingly German Shepherds are hit hard. This condition is has several names but in laymen's terms it is called Torsion or Bloat, Intestinal twist or stomach twist.  The symptoms of this condition are rather ambiguous as dogs will develop them and they aren't symptoms you would think require a visit to the vet but if this ever happens to your loved one act fast and without reservation....trust me every single minute is crucial and could save your pets life.

On Thursday evening we noticed our Zee was not himself - rather lethargic and quiet.  He was constipated (which has happened before but quickly passed) of course we watched over him and thought it would be ok. On Friday afternoon he was not better - still quiet but was drooling so we wisked him to the vet - they ran tests and xrays - he had a fever but blood work was negative for anything - they did notice his small intestine was enlarged and instructed us to get to the pet hospital 30 miles away that he would need surgery.  They called ahead and they were waiting for us unfortunately our boy died minutes from arriving at the hospital - needless to say we were and still are devastated. 

He was a happy healthy dog one day and the next he was dead, this condition is life threatening and takes your dog FAST.  We have shed tears for days now and can't seem to wrap our arms around this loss - we are in terrible pain and our hearts are broke.  I encourage you to read up on this and be aware as knowledge is power.  I have listed a few links for you and pray this will never happen to anyone.

Missiontoconvict I am so sorry for your loss. I have seen the devastating effects of bloat, it happens so quickly that most people haven't a clue anything it wrong. We in the pet industry have gone over the symptoms time and time again in an effort to recognize the signs. One thing people can do is make sure that dogs rest after meals, a minimum of 2 hours to chill out and relax for their food to settle before engaging in any activity. Its best to feed two small meals a day instead of one large meal. Meals should have more meat, less grain. Also don't let them drink tons of water during exercise, yes have water available, but to gulp it down could be dangerous. Watch for the drooling, pacing and descended stomach.

The larger breeds are more prone to bloat but it can happen in ANY breed. There is a surgery that you can request that is relatively simple. The Vet can actually tact an edge of the stomach to the inside of the dog so that the stomach can't twist and bloat.

I'm sure this doesn't help your situation, the loss of a pet is close to losing a family member. Your heart breaks, there was no time to prepare. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

BooMonkey

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #382 on: April 20, 2009, 08:05:59 PM »

Missiontoconvict I am so sorry for your loss. I have seen the devastating effects of bloat, it happens so quickly that most people haven't a clue anything it wrong. We in the pet industry have gone over the symptoms time and time again in an effort to recognize the signs. One thing people can do is make sure that dogs rest after meals, a minimum of 2 hours to chill out and relax for their food to settle before engaging in any activity. Its best to feed two small meals a day instead of one large meal. Meals should have more meat, less grain. Also don't let them drink tons of water during exercise, yes have water available, but to gulp it down could be dangerous. Watch for the drooling, pacing and descended stomach.

The larger breeds are more prone to bloat but it can happen in ANY breed. There is a surgery that you can request that is relatively simple. The Vet can actually tact an edge of the stomach to the inside of the dog so that the stomach can't twist and bloat.

I'm sure this doesn't help your situation, the loss of a pet is close to losing a family member. Your heart breaks, there was no time to prepare. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

BooMonkey
Thanks for that info Boo. Josef only gets ice cubes after we come from our walk. That way he can't gulp down his water. I'm so sorry for Mission though. I can't imagine what she is going through right now. My heart is breaking as I type this.

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #383 on: April 20, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »

Oh Missiontoconvict, I am so so very sorry for your loss.  I am crying here, what a tragic awful thing to happen to your precious and beautiful, and beloved Zee. 
You are very brave to post this info so soon after his death, god bless you, you just want to warn people, and I never heard of this before either.  Oh, you poor hurting monkey, that is such sad and tragic events you have been thru, no words can I say to make you feel better, but I will say a prayer for you, your family and also for your Zee.  That is so sad, and so very brave of you to be posting this warning, god less you sweety.  You will be with Zee again in heaven, as animals have souls, and they are waiting for us.  (((Hugs))))

Thank you Lucinda your kindness and words have made me feel better you are a special person.

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #384 on: April 20, 2009, 10:07:16 PM »

I am so very sorry for your loss.  I fear the day that my 4 legged babies will have to say goodbye.  I can not fathom what you are going through, but please know that I will keep you in my prayers.  I thank you for this information as well.

Thank you for your prayers Dolce you are so kind, losing a pet is more painful than I ever could have imagined - I appreciate your thoughts and you take good care of yourself and those precious babies you will make a wonderful loving mother, I look forward to their arrival. 

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #385 on: April 20, 2009, 10:10:57 PM »

Mission, what a beautiful dog. I am so sorry for your loss. I have heard of this in horses, but not in dogs. Thanks so much for the info and I am crying for you as I am typing. No words can help you right now, just no that I am saying a prayer for you. JSM

Thank you JSM - evidently this does happen to horses too I was so surprised by this condition I was not aware of it - I hope by sharing it will help someone else someday.  Thank you for your support you have no idea what it means I am heading to Caylee's thread now to read your posts as they are sure to make me laugh and smile. 

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #386 on: April 20, 2009, 10:22:14 PM »

From Boo Monkey

BooMonkey
[/quote]

Wow Boo so you are familiar with this condition - it certainly is devastating it is comforting to hear you say there was no time to prepare because we questioned what we did wrong.....I thank you for all of the wonderful info you posted and it will help us as we are seriously considering taking in another Shepherd who is 11 mos old that needs a home - this info definitely helps especially tact procedure you talk about - we would want to do whatever it takes to prevent this from ever happening again.  Thank you for your prayers during this sad time they mean alot.

BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #387 on: April 20, 2009, 11:59:57 PM »

From Boo Monkey

BooMonkey

Wow Boo so you are familiar with this condition - it certainly is devastating it is comforting to hear you say there was no time to prepare because we questioned what we did wrong.....I thank you for all of the wonderful info you posted and it will help us as we are seriously considering taking in another Shepherd who is 11 mos old that needs a home - this info definitely helps especially tact procedure you talk about - we would want to do whatever it takes to prevent this from ever happening again.  Thank you for your prayers during this sad time they mean alot.

[/quote] So very sorry for your loss.  I know alot is said about replacing a pet immediately after your loss.  We lost our big guy about a year and a half ago.  Actually was suffering with cancer thruout, had gone the surgery routine, but he was suffering so, anyways hubby and I made the finally decision and took him to our vets to have him put down.

Well hubby was outside with our big huggable 150 pound "Bear", I was in taking care of paperwork, an older couple had their litter of puppies in for 1st shots, etc., 4 short hair chi's and a long hair bundle of fluff............I couldn't help it, between tears picked up "HUGGY BEAR", called my big crying hubby in and handed the fluff ball to him, "Hugs" washed the tears off that were streaming down his face.

That was it, kissed our big Love dog good bye, had him buried at our local Pet cemetery, he will forever be in our hearts...........and this 5 pounds of fluff(with a mindset of a 200 lb Rott) has been the center of our family, like we've had a choice!!!
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #388 on: April 21, 2009, 10:13:33 AM »

Mission - your dog was beautiful.   I'm really sad about your loss.   Thanks for sharing the info with us.
Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #389 on: April 21, 2009, 10:57:29 PM »

Ed. Change subject title
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:51:56 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #390 on: April 21, 2009, 10:59:58 PM »

Oopsies, Fl Beagle this is for you with warm huggs

Ed. change subject title
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:52:28 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Tevye
Monkey Junky

Burn, baby, burn...'Ol Sparky is waiting for you!

« Reply #391 on: April 21, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »

This is for all of us with pet issues. I know soon our eldest (17? 19? no one is sure) will be crossing over...
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Edit Change subject title
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:53:23 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Remember Ladies, get the damm mamm!     Thanks, Brandi!
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #392 on: April 21, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »

This is for all of us with pet issues. I know soon our eldest (17? 19? no one is sure) will be crossing over...
Rainbow Bridge

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Author unknown...

Oh Gawd, You and Capp have me in a puddle. Thank you to both of you sweet monkeys.

Edit change subject title
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:54:20 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
ChihuahuaMom
Scared Monkey

LittleMan 2008 AKC top 5th agility chihuahua

« Reply #393 on: April 21, 2009, 11:03:44 PM »

I dont know how to post stuff ( plz for give me ) but can you find the RAINBOW BRIDGE poem and post it??

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:55:05 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Tevye
Monkey Junky

Burn, baby, burn...'Ol Sparky is waiting for you!

« Reply #394 on: April 21, 2009, 11:05:39 PM »

I dont know how to post stuff ( plz for give me ) but can you find the RAINBOW BRIDGE poem and post it??
You missed it by a page:

Rainbow Bridge

Author unknown...

Edit subject title change
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:55:49 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Remember Ladies, get the damm mamm!     Thanks, Brandi!
ChihuahuaMom
Scared Monkey

LittleMan 2008 AKC top 5th agility chihuahua

« Reply #395 on: April 21, 2009, 11:12:02 PM »

You missed it by a page:

Rainbow Bridge

Author unknown...

after I posted I saw it, and thanks so much. As one in the dog showing world, the RB poem is a nice gift when a heart has fallen heavy from a pet passing

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:56:36 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #396 on: April 21, 2009, 11:13:50 PM »

Rainbow Bridge

Author unknown...

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:57:14 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #397 on: April 22, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »

From BabsKats

So very sorry for your loss.  I know alot is said about replacing a pet immediately after your loss.  We lost our big guy about a year and a half ago.  Actually was suffering with cancer thruout, had gone the surgery routine, but he was suffering so, anyways hubby and I made the finally decision and took him to our vets to have him put down.

Well hubby was outside with our big huggable 150 pound "Bear", I was in taking care of paperwork, an older couple had their litter of puppies in for 1st shots, etc., 4 short hair chi's and a long hair bundle of fluff............I couldn't help it, between tears picked up "HUGGY BEAR", called my big crying hubby in and handed the fluff ball to him, "Hugs" washed the tears off that were streaming down his face.

That was it, kissed our big Love dog good bye, had him buried at our local Pet cemetery, he will forever be in our hearts...........and this 5 pounds of fluff(with a mindset of a 200 lb Rott) has been the center of our family, like we've had a choice!!!

Thank you for sharing - while reading your post I felt you and your husband's pain but then a smile came to me to know that your new 5 pounds of Fluff brought you some renewed love and joy.  Thanks again

Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #398 on: April 22, 2009, 08:34:57 AM »

Mission - your dog was beautiful.   I'm really sad about your loss.   Thanks for sharing the info with us.

Thank you Sassycat your avi makes me laugh and smile.

califmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #399 on: April 22, 2009, 03:00:01 PM »

Rainbow Bridge

Author unknown...

This is just beautiful!! Thank you for sharing this.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:57:56 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

♥ Justice for Caylee ♥
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.