March 28, 2024, 09:09:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Four-legged Friends  (Read 251454 times)
FL Beagle Mom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #400 on: April 23, 2009, 07:50:10 PM »

Hello to all my Monkey Friends,

This past weekend we lost our beloved German Shepherd Zee to a condition that has completely turned our lives upside down. I want to share with you some information about this deadly condition that afflicts larger dogs and seemingly German Shepherds are hit hard. This condition is has several names but in laymen's terms it is called Torsion or Bloat, Intestinal twist or stomach twist.  The symptoms of this condition are rather ambiguous as dogs will develop them and they aren't symptoms you would think require a visit to the vet but if this ever happens to your loved one act fast and without reservation....trust me every single minute is crucial and could save your pets life.

Mission, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking losing a loved pet. Zee is beautiful. Thanks for the info on the disease.

We lost our golden retreiver to a brain tumor yesterday.  We knew she had hip dysplasia, but then her front paws were knuckling under and she couldn't walk at all. We took her in and the vet said  not much we can do for her. We had her put to sleep and are getting her ashes next week.

Here she is...she was the best dog

In all the crying yesterday, i fell asleep and my husband woke me up to go get a beagle baby. I always said that I wanted another beagle. He thought a new one would keep me busy, and she has. Here is Dixie

Caylee's Warriors:  Relax, I've got this one -- GOD
Lucinda
Monkey Junky

« Reply #401 on: April 24, 2009, 10:06:10 AM »

Missiontoconvict, I have been thinking about you a lot, and I have only just got back online.  How are you feeling now?  I know its a heartache when you lose a beloved family member, and yes, dogs, cats , birds are all family members to us pet lovers. 
Calimom, Im, so sorry for your loss, and god bless Dixie for coming into your life. 
I taught Jade a new trick today, called "Head up and sing"    and she took an hour to train her to do it.  She is so smart, she does the "sit"  "hunt"  stay, drop, all that, but I always knew she could sing up    and she does.  Takes me cheese bits I cut up small as a reward, cos thats all she would work for    Her mother, Jessie, (my angel)  I could never train, she had her own mind, and was a real mother.  She guarded my baby chickens like they were her own babies, she drank water from her bowl, while my budgie, Peter, drank too.  She frolicked with my cat, winky, and made winky lick/wash her ears, she was a real "mother hen" was my beloved jessie, wouldnt kill a mouse.  Jessie even helped me look after my son's tamagotchie when he was eight, lol, she would run to me every time the friggin thing beeped LOL.  On the end, when my son tired of the tamagotchie, jessie stole it, and started "mothering it" till the day she died.  I carry that same tamagotchie, teeth marks and all, everywhere I go.  Jade, her daughter, is a hunter, and will kill mice.  She is so funny, wont let me get up thru the night for a drink of water etc, till she has "checked the place out"  I am blessed to have Jade, altho she is totally opposite to her mum Jess, she is her own persona and the love I have for her is unreal. 

BabsKats
Monkey Junky

« Reply #402 on: April 27, 2009, 12:54:15 AM »

A Note to Pets....

The following was found posted very low on a refrigerator door..

Dear Dogs and Cats:  The dishes with the paw prints are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food.  Placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack.  Racing me to the bottom is not the object.  Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed.  I am very sorry about this.  Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort, however.  Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep.  It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other, stretched out to the fullest extent possible.  I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out on the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is no secret exit from the bathroom! If, by some miracle, I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge in an attempt to open the door.  I must exit through the same door I entered.  Also, I have been using the bathroom for years - canine/feline attendance is not required.

The proper order for kissing is:  Kiss me first, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt.  I cannot stress this enough.

Finally, in fairness, dear pets, I have posted the following message on the front door:

To All Non-Pet Owners Who Visit and Like To Complain About Our Pets:

(1)  They live here.  You don't. 

(2)  If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.  That's why they call it 'fur'-niture.

(3) I like my pets a lot better than I like most people. 

(4)  To you, they are animals.  To me, they are adopted sons/daughters who are short, hairy, walk on all fours and don't speak clearly.

Remember, dogs and cats are better than kids because they:

(1) eat less,

(2) don't ask for money all the time,

(3) are easier to train,

(4) normally come when called,

(5) never ask to drive the car,

(6) don't hang out with drug-using people;

(7) don't smoke or drink,

(Cool don't want to wear your clothes,

(9) don't have to buy the latest fashions,

(10) don't need a gazillion dollars for college and

(11) if they get pregnant, you can sell their children ....

Searching
Monkey Junky

Got my Anti Anthony Koolaid helmet on ,I'm ready!

« Reply #403 on: April 28, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »

Hi, I got a new baby yesterday. She is 6 months old.

suzyinpgh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #404 on: April 29, 2009, 07:28:35 AM »

I need someone to talk to me about my dog, Wendy.  She has gone blind.  It is breaking my heart.   She walks into everything and I'm so afraid she is going to fall down steps or something when I'm at work.  I just want to cry for her.
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #405 on: April 29, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »

I need someone to talk to me about my dog, Wendy.  She has gone blind.  It is breaking my heart.   She walks into everything and I'm so afraid she is going to fall down steps or something when I'm at work.  I just want to cry for her.

Suzy I am in the exact same position. I talk of Grissom, but I also have Bailey, a BLIND chow/corgi mix who is over 10. She went blind within the last 1 1/2 years and it was quick. MY critieria is Does she still have quality of life? In my case, yes. She sleeps most of the time, pees on the floor several times a day, bumps into walls, but still enjoys her life. Yeah I gotta clean up all the time but I took her as a puppy for Better or Worse. She still has the better. Yeah it's inconvenient for me, but that's not what our relationship was ever about. She loves me unconditionally, as I do her.

They will get used to the bumping into things. She is using the walls, tables, etc. to test where she is. She knows EXACTLY where her food dish and water bowl are. She still gets all the lovin she can possibly handle. I've changed her nickname to Pinball.    Just don't move the furniture, guide her up and down the steps, watch her outside and she will be just fine.

I also got an older, larger dog. This was luck of the draw that they hit it off cause Bailey has always been dog aggressive in her life. But she loved Grissom immediately (he wasn't a bouncy puppy). So now if she gets "lost" in our back yard, Grissom goes and gets her. Just kinda stamps his feet or barks so she goes in the right direction. She stands under him in the rain and he allows her to eat first before entering the kitchen. I don't always advocate getting a 2nd dog, but an older more quiet dog has helped Bailey out quite a bit. She has allowed him to take over "protecting" us while she snoozes away. It has taken stress off of her. It's a decision only you can make and you know your dog best.

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #406 on: April 29, 2009, 07:50:16 AM »

Suzy, get a baby gate for the stairs. You can pick them up cheap at any Salvation Army store. Bailey has fallen down steps and I don't want that to happen again. So treat her like the baby she is and get the gate. I also got a waterfall water bowl, she can hear where her water is.

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #407 on: April 29, 2009, 07:56:07 AM »

Be sensitive to her fear issues. Like when someone or something new comes into the house. Introduce her by touching her and having her meet the new thing. You have to put yourself in her place. It's been her job to protect you, so they can be upset when something new is happening and they can't see to judge whether it is good or bad. So bring her up to the person, speak calmly to her (no high squeaky voice) and if it is an object, place it and don't move it (if it goes on the floor). She will get used to it more quickly.

I did notice that Bailey has lost much of her sense of smell too now. So her treats have to be strong smelling in order for her to want them. Little changes, but dogs are so adaptable, she will accept her new life and make the correct changes for her to move forward in life. Dogs are remarkable that way.

suzyinpgh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #408 on: April 29, 2009, 08:00:30 AM »

It was really quick with Wendy too.  I just had her to the vet 2 weeks ago and she asked me if I noticed her bumping into things.  At the time she wasn't.  But now she's bouncing off everything.  She just really scared me this morning when she almost walked off of about a six step drop into our living room.  ( the last six steps are open - I don't know how else to explain it) The vet told me that dogs usually do pretty good at home as long as you don't move the furniture. 

She was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 months ago.
suzyinpgh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #409 on: April 29, 2009, 08:05:02 AM »

Boo, thanks soo much for talking to me.  I really appreciate you taking the time.
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #410 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:03 AM »

Boo, thanks soo much for talking to me.  I really appreciate you taking the time.

Not a problem!! I'm glad you asked me! Here is my throw away addy if you ever need it.
deadnotsleeping @ ymail.com

As for your wide stairs, you might see her using the wall or some sort of barrier to guide herself of where the stairs are. Or you can use some sort of barrier to at least give her a heads up they are there. She is going to be disoriented for a while. But eventually she will know where everything is.

suzyinpgh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #411 on: April 29, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »

Not a problem!! I'm glad you asked me! Here is my throw away addy if you ever need it.
deadnotsleeping @ ymail.com

As for your wide stairs, you might see her using the wall or some sort of barrier to guide herself of where the stairs are. Or you can use some sort of barrier to at least give her a heads up they are there. She is going to be disoriented for a while. But eventually she will know where everything is.

I did notice her hugging the wall outside and on the steps too. 

You've been really helpful.  I was feeling so down this morning but you gave me some hope.  I think I can cope now.  Thanks so much.  ( I will keep your e-mail address handy just in case.)
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

Good grief! It's Charlie Brown.

« Reply #412 on: April 29, 2009, 01:42:11 PM »

Boo or any other smart monkey ... my Charlie Brown pees his bed. He'll climb up on the couch and pee and lay in it. He doesn't raise his leg or squat, so I don't realize he's done it until too late.

I know he's just a pup and we're working to train him. He probably didn't live inside before we got him and I'm sure conditions at the pound were not cleanly. 

Any ideas on why he does this and how it can be helped? For now, I've wrapped the couch cushions in plastic and covered it with blankets and I am not allowing him to lay on the furniture. Doing lots of extra loads of laundry. 

Oh, the vet put him on antibiotics for kennel cough. He has been taking them since Saturday and seems to feel much better now. Any tips on an easier way to give him cough medicine???? He is little but scrappy and holding his mouth open doesn't work too well. 

I am full of questions ... Lucy and Charlie are my first doggies. And my hubby primarily cares for Lucy. So, Charlie is in my hands. 

I remember you, Caylee.
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #413 on: April 29, 2009, 06:53:24 PM »

Boo or any other smart monkey ... my Charlie Brown pees his bed. He'll climb up on the couch and pee and lay in it. He doesn't raise his leg or squat, so I don't realize he's done it until too late.

I know he's just a pup and we're working to train him. He probably didn't live inside before we got him and I'm sure conditions at the pound were not cleanly. 

Any ideas on why he does this and how it can be helped? For now, I've wrapped the couch cushions in plastic and covered it with blankets and I am not allowing him to lay on the furniture. Doing lots of extra loads of laundry. 

Oh, the vet put him on antibiotics for kennel cough. He has been taking them since Saturday and seems to feel much better now. Any tips on an easier way to give him cough medicine???? He is little but scrappy and holding his mouth open doesn't work too well. 

I am full of questions ... Lucy and Charlie are my first doggies. And my hubby primarily cares for Lucy. So, Charlie is in my hands. 

GnM, I don't know what to do about the peeing in the bed. But go to the vet and get a syringe if you don't have one. Open his mouth really wide and squirt it in all at once all the way down his throat, then clamp down on his snout, while you are doing that rub his throat, that will get him to swallow cough medicine. I had to do it with my Josef. I hope that works, it worked for Joe. Good Luck. JSM

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #414 on: April 29, 2009, 06:55:09 PM »

Hello to all my Monkey Friends,

This past weekend we lost our beloved German Shepherd Zee to a condition that has completely turned our lives upside down. I want to share with you some information about this deadly condition that afflicts larger dogs and seemingly German Shepherds are hit hard. This condition is has several names but in laymen's terms it is called Torsion or Bloat, Intestinal twist or stomach twist.  The symptoms of this condition are rather ambiguous as dogs will develop them and they aren't symptoms you would think require a visit to the vet but if this ever happens to your loved one act fast and without reservation....trust me every single minute is crucial and could save your pets life.

Mission, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking losing a loved pet. Zee is beautiful. Thanks for the info on the disease.

We lost our golden retreiver to a brain tumor yesterday.  We knew she had hip dysplasia, but then her front paws were knuckling under and she couldn't walk at all. We took her in and the vet said  not much we can do for her. We had her put to sleep and are getting her ashes next week.

Here she is...she was the best dog

In all the crying yesterday, i fell asleep and my husband woke me up to go get a beagle baby. I always said that I wanted another beagle. He thought a new one would keep me busy, and she has. Here is Dixie

Pretty golden and sweet puppy. I'm sorry for your loss FLBeagle. JSM

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #415 on: April 29, 2009, 06:55:51 PM »

Hi, I got a new baby yesterday. She is 6 months old.
I like your puppy Searching. She is very pretty. 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #416 on: April 29, 2009, 07:31:46 PM »

I'm very sorry your dog Wendy has gone blind.  I have a friend that had a yellow lab named "Jack" that lost his sight through illness and through using different strategies, they were able to help provide him with a good life.   Here is a website that might help:

http://angelvest.homestead.com/
"Littlest Angel Vest-the white cane for blind dogs. These can be ordered from this company. There is also an area at the link I've given you for "Hints for living with a blind dog"
http://angelvest.homestead.com/hints.html which I think will be helpful for you.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #417 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »

What a cute puppy.  And I am so sorry about the dog going blind.  I am the only seeing person in my family.  I would say to keep the dog in a small area where she cannot get hurt.  Try not to give her a lot of directions at one time, and only let one person talk to her at one time.  She will adjust.  My sister cannot tolerate being in a strange place, but her sense of hearing and smell are very acute.  My Dad is 86 and blind, as long as he is in his element (his home or his shop) he is fine, but if you take him out of it, he becomes agitated.  Im sure it will be the same way with your dog.  When you take her out, make sure she knows you are close,  it is very scary to be in a large area and not know where someone else is.  Please know, I love my family dearly and I am just suggesting this because I have been around them for a very long time. 

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
suzyinpgh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #418 on: April 29, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »

I'm very sorry your dog Wendy has gone blind.  I have a friend that had a yellow lab named "Jack" that lost his sight through illness and through using different strategies, they were able to help provide him with a good life.   Here is a website that might help:

http://angelvest.homestead.com/

"Littlest Angel Vest-the white cane for blind dogs. These can be ordered from this company. There is also an area at the link I've given you for "Hints for living with a blind dog"
http://angelvest.homestead.com/hints.html which I think will be helpful for you.

Muffy Bee, thanks so much for the info.  The link you sent was very helpful.  I think I was a little overwhelmed this morning.  Thanks again.

suzyinpgh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #419 on: April 29, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »

What a cute puppy.  And I am so sorry about the dog going blind.  I am the only seeing person in my family.  I would say to keep the dog in a small area where she cannot get hurt.  Try not to give her a lot of directions at one time, and only let one person talk to her at one time.  She will adjust.  My sister cannot tolerate being in a strange place, but her sense of hearing and smell are very acute.  My Dad is 86 and blind, as long as he is in his element (his home or his shop) he is fine, but if you take him out of it, he becomes agitated.  Im sure it will be the same way with your dog.  When you take her out, make sure she knows you are close,  it is very scary to be in a large area and not know where someone else is.  Please know, I love my family dearly and I am just suggesting this because I have been around them for a very long time. 
Always,  thanks for the tips.  We are trying to keep her confined to just a few rooms.  I am so sorry about your Dad and sister.  You and your family will be in my prayers.  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.