March 28, 2024, 04:47:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Four-legged Friends  (Read 251503 times)
always 1
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #420 on: April 29, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »

What a cute puppy.  And I am so sorry about the dog going blind.  I am the only seeing person in my family.  I would say to keep the dog in a small area where she cannot get hurt.  Try not to give her a lot of directions at one time, and only let one person talk to her at one time.  She will adjust.  My sister cannot tolerate being in a strange place, but her sense of hearing and smell are very acute.  My Dad is 86 and blind, as long as he is in his element (his home or his shop) he is fine, but if you take him out of it, he becomes agitated.  Im sure it will be the same way with your dog.  When you take her out, make sure she knows you are close,  it is very scary to be in a large area and not know where someone else is.  Please know, I love my family dearly and I am just suggesting this because I have been around them for a very long time. 
Always,  thanks for the tips.  We are trying to keep her confined to just a few rooms.  I am so sorry about your Dad and sister.  You and your family will be in my prayers.  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post.
Thank you.  I will pray for your dog as well.

I am A1 because I am saucy!!!
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #421 on: April 29, 2009, 11:04:20 PM »

Boo or any other smart monkey ... my Charlie Brown pees his bed. He'll climb up on the couch and pee and lay in it. He doesn't raise his leg or squat, so I don't realize he's done it until too late.

I know he's just a pup and we're working to train him. He probably didn't live inside before we got him and I'm sure conditions at the pound were not cleanly. 

Any ideas on why he does this and how it can be helped? For now, I've wrapped the couch cushions in plastic and covered it with blankets and I am not allowing him to lay on the furniture. Doing lots of extra loads of laundry. 

Oh, the vet put him on antibiotics for kennel cough. He has been taking them since Saturday and seems to feel much better now. Any tips on an easier way to give him cough medicine???? He is little but scrappy and holding his mouth open doesn't work too well. 

I am full of questions ... Lucy and Charlie are my first doggies. And my hubby primarily cares for Lucy. So, Charlie is in my hands. 

OK, first how old is he? Little dogs are notoriously hard to potty train. It's not like they don't want to, their bladder is just smaller and more difficult to control. The big dogs can hold it longer. Little ones should be let outside soon after eating and any rousing playtime.

You also might try putting bells on the front and back doors. Everytime you take him out, ring the bell. Eventually he will ring the bells when he wants/needs to go out. The bells on the front door are b/c you can't alway hear the back door and he can ring the front ones and then run to the back.

As for the meds, if liquid, JSM gave the best advice. Get the syringe, shoot it in the back of the mouth and close his mouth and pet his throat. If pills, hide it in a piece of hot dog. Most don't know they even ate it. They also make these nifty treats called pill pockets. There is a hole in the middle, put the pill in and close the hole. They are soft and dogs love them.

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

Good grief! It's Charlie Brown.

« Reply #422 on: April 30, 2009, 10:20:48 AM »

JSM and Boo -- Thank you!!! 

He is about 7 to 8 months old and a "pound puppy." He was likely living outdoors before.

I will try the bell -- good idea! And get a syringe for his cough syrup.

He is at the vet getting neutered. 

I remember you, Caylee.
Mtnmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #423 on: April 30, 2009, 08:59:16 PM »

my little pom has thrown up 5 times today is there something I can give to settle her stomach?
Missiontoconvict
Monkey All Star Jr.

Seeking Justice for Caylee

« Reply #424 on: April 30, 2009, 09:16:05 PM »

my little pom has thrown up 5 times today is there something I can give to settle her stomach?

Mtnmom I am so sorry to hear that about your fur babe - where is Boo when you need her she is so knowledgeable about dogs - I am not certain on this but I thought I read somewhere that Mylanta works but I am not sure.  Does the vet have an after hour number you can call and ask - if so go for it.  I hope she feels better soon.

On July 5th, 2011 Caylee Anthony was denied Justice, her murderer was set free.
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #425 on: April 30, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »

I'm not sure about giving her anything until you know why she may be throwing up. Did she chew up a toy or eat a plant? I'm not real good about dealing with little dogs throwing up. I know that Joe would eat a stuffed animal and I didn't know it and go throw up in the corner. I am sorry I can't be of help. Usually if they have a belly ache they will eat grass and that will settle their tummy. Try and keep her hydrated, ice chips work well and call the vet if you have one. I'm really sorry I can't help. I will pray for your baby. JSM

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
Mtnmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #426 on: April 30, 2009, 09:22:13 PM »

Mtnmom I am so sorry to hear that about your fur babe - where is Boo when you need her she is so knowledgeable about dogs - I am not certain on this but I thought I read somewhere that Mylanta works but I am not sure.  Does the vet have an after hour number you can call and ask - if so go for it.  I hope she feels better soon.

She didnt eat the whole day after her run away episode but she ate last night and this morning but then erpped it up in 3 episodes. About 5 hours went by and now weve had two episodes of stomach acid. I know she ate at the house she stayed at because they have dogs. Ive just offered her water with a touch of baking soda and she drank a little. I dont know if the vet has an after hour number but Ill give it a try. Thanks
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #427 on: April 30, 2009, 09:33:11 PM »

You can give Peptic A/C to settle her stomach. Is this a reoccurring problem? If it continues, def. take her to the Vet. If it is a digestive problem,  canned pumpkin should do the trick. Google for amount, but for her size i would guess about a teaspoon with her meals. Meals should be split into 2 meals a day, morning and night.
You might want to check the quality of her food too. With so many being on the recall list you can never be too careful. The Wellness line, Innova, Solid Gold are good and haven't been recalled.

The great thing about the pumpkin is that it can be used for diarrhea and constipation. It's a good thing to add on a regular basis.

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #428 on: April 30, 2009, 09:37:19 PM »

She didnt eat the whole day after her run away episode but she ate last night and this morning but then erpped it up in 3 episodes. About 5 hours went by and now weve had two episodes of stomach acid. I know she ate at the house she stayed at because they have dogs. Ive just offered her water with a touch of baking soda and she drank a little. I dont know if the vet has an after hour number but Ill give it a try. Thanks

Well, she definitely could have eaten something she shouldn't have. Do the pumpkin and see if it continues. If she ate at the "other" house, she had an abrupt change in diet, which doesn't set well with most dogs. She may have a sensitive tummy you didn't know about before. Be strict with anyone watching her or if you use Daycare, bring her own food and treats, clearly marked.

joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #429 on: April 30, 2009, 09:48:13 PM »

Boo knows more than me, but it could be her drinking dirty water while she was away.

If your vet doesn't have an after hour number, try another vet. Good luck and listen to Boo, she knows more about these things than I do. I can and will pray for your baby, that's about all I am good for. Hugs JSM 

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
Mtnmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #430 on: April 30, 2009, 09:51:02 PM »

Well, she definitely could have eaten something she shouldn't have. Do the pumpkin and see if it continues. If she ate at the "other" house, she had an abrupt change in diet, which doesn't set well with most dogs. She may have a sensitive tummy you didn't know about before. Be strict with anyone watching her or if you use Daycare, bring her own food and treats, clearly marked.

Thanks Boo. I had the pumpkin and she ate it right up. I only gave a little to start with and she liked it. We only feed her the beneful, with salmon and veggies because she not supposed to have red meats due to thyroid issues. No lamb and no rice.I have no idea what she ate at the peoples house when she ran away. I do know that I havent seen her eat anything at home that shes not supposed to because I got my eye on her every second lol.
Thanks I will keep everyone updated.
Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #431 on: April 30, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »

I need someone to talk to me about my dog, Wendy.  She has gone blind.  It is breaking my heart.   She walks into everything and I'm so afraid she is going to fall down steps or something when I'm at work.  I just want to cry for her.

Suzy, I just want to tell you about my Yorkie who had diabetes and went blind.  She adjusted very quickly and knew where everything was.  As long as I didn't move anything, i.e. a piece of furniture, she was fine.  It bothered me a lot more than it bothered her, I think.  She knew where her water dish was in the kitchen.  She was on a special diet and when I called her, she would come to the kitchen, stick up her little butt for a shot of insulin and then eat her meals.  She lived that way for about five years.  I would tell her, "Time for bed," and she would go into her crate and settle in for the night.  Her diabetic condition worsened, and the end came slowly, so I took her to the vet and he put her to sleep as I held her in my arms.  She was buried in a pet cemetary with a tombstone which said, "My brave little girl."  Now my dog Charlie has diabetes.  He was diagnosed about a month ago and he takes insulin shots too.  We are having a bit of trouble getting him stabilized but I think it will work out.  I do know, though, if he becomes blind, he can handle it and so can I.  And so can you and your fur baby.  Love.

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #432 on: April 30, 2009, 09:56:18 PM »

I need someone to talk to me about my dog, Wendy.  She has gone blind.  It is breaking my heart.   She walks into everything and I'm so afraid she is going to fall down steps or something when I'm at work.  I just want to cry for her.

Suzy, I just want to tell you about my Yorkie who had diabetes and went blind.  She adjusted very quickly and knew where everything was.  As long as I didn't move anything, i.e. a piece of furniture, she was fine.  It bothered me a lot more than it bothered her, I think.  She knew where her water dish was in the kitchen.  She was on a special diet and when I called her, she would come to the kitchen, stick up her little butt for a shot of insulin and then eat her meals.  She lived that way for about five years.  I would tell her, "Time for bed," and she would go into her crate and settle in for the night.  Her diabetic condition worsened, and the end came slowly, so I took her to the vet and he put her to sleep as I held her in my arms.  She was buried in a pet cemetary with a tombstone which said, "My brave little girl."  Now my dog Charlie has diabetes.  He was diagnosed about a month ago and he takes insulin shots too.  We are having a bit of trouble getting him stabilized but I think it will work out.  I do know, though, if he becomes blind, he can handle it and so can I.  And so can you and your fur baby.  Love.

I think I've told this before, but the day my Yorkie became so ill, I held her most of the day but when I had to go to the bathroom, etc, I would put her in a box with her blankie.  My dog Charlie would lie down by her box as if to keep her company while I was gone.  Now he has diabetes, too, but we'll make it.

BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #433 on: April 30, 2009, 10:06:01 PM »

I think I've told this before, but the day my Yorkie became so ill, I held her most of the day but when I had to go to the bathroom, etc, I would put her in a box with her blankie.  My dog Charlie would lie down by her box as if to keep her company while I was gone.  Now he has diabetes, too, but we'll make it.

Oh Babybear, I'm so sorry. It's so tough to watch our little ones get old before our eyes. Their time here on Earth is never enough. They do so much good while with us. Helping us through our times of trouble. I will pray for Charlie. Glad you two came to grips with it.

Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #434 on: April 30, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »

Oh Babybear, I'm so sorry. It's so tough to watch our little ones get old before our eyes. Their time here on Earth is never enough. They do so much good while with us. Helping us through our times of trouble. I will pray for Charlie. Glad you two came to grips with it.

Thanks, Boo.  I know you are fond of dogs, too.  My Charlie is a great dog.  He was thrown out by the side of the rode about 100 miles from where I live and rescued and taken to a no-kill shelter.  I found him on the internet and arranged to have him brought to me.  I was told he weighed 12 pounds, but that was when he was found.  He was about six months old I think when I got him because he was losing his baby teeth.  He now weighs 45  pounds!!!! I thought it would be a good idea to get a mixed breed because full blooded breeds seemed to have a lot of health problems.....Now, here he is with diabetes.  But I wouldn't trade my little buddy for the world. I had his DNA tested and he is part wire-haired terrier, part English Spaniel and a lot of other things.  But, he's just my Charlie.

Foggy Dew
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #435 on: May 01, 2009, 12:04:57 AM »

MtMom,

I wouldn't feed your little dog anything except boiled chicken and rice until you talk to vet tomorrow...but make sure she gets plenty of fluids. 

Vet may advise rest tummy/digestive system for a period of time, then possibly (?) introduce boiled chicken and white rice as a mild re-introduction of food to your dogs "system"--but in much smaller meals offered more frequently. 

With all due respect, introducing pumpkin to a wee dog who who has never eaten it might aggravate the situation which is yet undiagnosed.

Pumpkin is a wonderful addition to dogs who lack roughage in their diet, but myself I'd be cautious about offering it in your pup's case until your vet hears some details about your wee girl's feeding/habits/how the vomitus appears and under what circumstances/what you are feeding (including treats), how much fluid intake and anything else you can think of that I forgot to mention.   

Poms are prob my fave little dogs.  I hope and pray your little darling feels better soon.

Last but not least, please call your vet about your pup asap.  She is a young, small breed and things can downhill quicker than an avalanche w/young, toy breeds.

I'm not even going to the possibility that she has a blockage.  If there is any indication that she might be blocked, seek out emergency care

In the meantime keep a diary of the oopsing (aka vomiting)and elimination.  Note everything about your Pom's day.  A good vet can gloss over stuff that isn't remarkable, but details are important when seeking the root of the problem.

Foggy

goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

Good grief! It's Charlie Brown.

« Reply #436 on: May 01, 2009, 09:28:30 AM »

Just wanted to say Charlie Brown was neutered yesterday and all went well. He tested negative for heartworm.  and has gotten his shots. He also gained .4 pounds this week -- which is good he is a little too skinny.

And wanted to say I am so impressed with JSM Boo Foggy Dew and all of you ... I am a doggie novice and I'm sure I'll be back often with questions. 

Well, while I'm here -- any advice on leash training? Lucy hasn't quite gotten the hang of walking on the leash. I'm sure she'd love it once she gets the hang of it and we can go on longer walks.

Charlie doesn't like the leash at all but he's getting better. I've been using a harness on him to avoid pulling on his little neck. Any tips would be appreciated. 

I remember you, Caylee.
Mtnmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #437 on: May 01, 2009, 01:04:32 PM »

Scooby kept the pumpkin down all night and seems to be feeling better this morning. She ate more pumpkin this morning and we observed her doing her potty duties this morning so we know shes not constipated .
Shes not vomited since last night .We are just keeping an eye on her. shes in better spirits and is resting now.

joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #438 on: May 01, 2009, 06:42:56 PM »

Just wanted to say Charlie Brown was neutered yesterday and all went well. He tested negative for heartworm.  and has gotten his shots. He also gained .4 pounds this week -- which is good he is a little too skinny.

And wanted to say I am so impressed with JSM Boo Foggy Dew and all of you ... I am a doggie novice and I'm sure I'll be back often with questions. 

Well, while I'm here -- any advice on leash training? Lucy hasn't quite gotten the hang of walking on the leash. I'm sure she'd love it once she gets the hang of it and we can go on longer walks.

Charlie doesn't like the leash at all but he's getting better. I've been using a harness on him to avoid pulling on his little neck. Any tips would be appreciated. 

GnM, I am so glad the heartworm test was negative. The treatment for heartworms is horrible. I went through that with Josef.

As far as the leash, until moved into my apartments Joe was never on a leash. I had the hardest time with a collar. Finally went to a choke chain. It sounds horrible, but it's about the noisy of the collar, not so much choking him. A TSA bomb dog handler taught me how to use it and it works well with Joe.

BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #439 on: May 02, 2009, 10:31:52 PM »

I Rescued A Human Today

Author:Janine Allen CPDT

I rescued a human today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/i-rescued-a-human-today/page1.aspx?utm_source=dogcrazynews001et&utm_medium=email&utm_content=petplace_article&utm_campaign=dailynewsletter#
. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life. She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.

I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.

Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes. I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.