March 29, 2024, 05:31:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Four-legged Friends  (Read 251587 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #560 on: August 19, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »

Digger is just the greatest, I love hearing stories about him 
Me too!  Love the name, friends of mine has a dog named dozer.  Digger & dozer, that is so cute.  Oh & Taco, can't forget little Taco!!!!

Taco opted out of this photo shoot.He was in the cool house.
Digger is the adventurer.       He is my sweetie.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #561 on: August 19, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »

This is Digger treeing a squirrel a few minutes ago, down in the shady hollow behind my house.   

Digger is so cute Trimm. 

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #562 on: August 19, 2009, 09:29:14 PM »

Great pic of Digger.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #563 on: September 01, 2009, 08:30:12 PM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_WORLDS_OLDEST_DOG?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
Aug 31, 10:54 PM EDT

World's oldest dog dies in NY at 21 _ or 147

By VIRGINIA BYRNE
Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- A wire-haired dachshund that held the record as the world's oldest dog and celebrated its last birthday with a party at a dog hotel and spa has died at age 21 - or 147 in dog years.

The dog, named Chanel, died Friday of natural causes at her owners' home in suburban Port Jefferson Station, on Long Island.

Chanel, as stylish as her legendary namesake, wore tinted goggles for her cataracts in her later years and favored sweaters because she was sensitive to the cold, owners Denice and Karl Shaughnessy said Monday.

The playful dachshund was only 6 weeks old when Denice Shaughnessy, then serving with the U.S. Army, adopted her from a shelter in Newport News, Va.

Along with her owner, Chanel spent nine years on assignment in Germany, where she became adept at stealing sticks of butter from kitchen countertops and hiding them in sofa cushions in the living room, Shaughnessy said. She also liked chocolate, usually considered toxic to dogs, Shaughnessy said.

"She once ate an entire bag of Reese's peanut butter cups, and, you see, she lived to be 21, so go figure," Shaughnessy added.

Karl Shaughnessy nominated Chanel for the title of world's oldest dog after noticing the Guinness World Records book had no record.

Guinness World Records officials presented Chanel with a certificate as the world's oldest dog at a Manhattan birthday bash hosted by a private pet food company in May.

Chanel loved the party, especially the cake, which had a peanut butter flavor and had been made for dogs, Denice Shaughnessy said.

Chanel exercised daily and ate home-cooked chicken with her dog food, but good care wasn't entirely responsible for her long life, said her owners, who attributed God.

"Dogs are God's angels sent here to look out for us," Denice Shaughnessy said.

A dog from New Iberia, La., named Max, is vying for the record of world's oldest dog. Owner Janelle Derouen said Max marked his 26th birthday on Aug. 9. She said Guinness World Records officials were reviewing documents to authenticate his age; a Guinness World Records official in London didn't immediately answer an e-mail from The Associated Press requesting confirmation of that.

When asked the secret to her dog's long life, Derouen said she was shocked he's still with her.

"I have five kids, and all my kids are grown and gone," she said. "Now my grandkids are playing with this dog."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #564 on: September 16, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/pawprintpost/post/2009/09/tennis-balls-for-pets-get-bad-marks-from-watchdog-group/1

Sep 16, 2009
Tennis balls for pets get bad marks from watchdog group

HealthyStuff.org posted its data base today on more than 5,000 products, including pet products.

One half  of the tennis balls tested had detectable levels of lead. Tennis balls intended for pets were much more likely to contain lead. Sports tennis balls contained no lead.

That's important consumer info because we know how much dogs love tennis balls. To find out more about the ratings for balls check the website.

Another popular item, catnip toys, got better rankings.

One quarter of all pet products had detectable levels of lead, including 7% with levels higher than 300 ppm – the current Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standard for lead in children's products.

For tips on reducing and managing lead exposure in pets, visit  American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

HealthyStuff is a nonprofit environment research organization.

READERS: Pet beds can also be full of contaminants. Who knew?

SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #565 on: October 05, 2009, 10:37:42 PM »

Had to post a picture of my daughters dog(that I baby-sit everyday). Her name is Missy or Miss Thang and she is a Pom-Poo. I have a Maine Coon cat that is bigger than her.

2 4 1
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #566 on: October 06, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »

Missy aka Miss Thang is a real cutie, SuzieQ.   

Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #567 on: October 24, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »

Happy Halloween! Woof! Woof!
NickandNora
Monkey Junky

« Reply #568 on: October 26, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »

That halloween costume is cute! lol.

We adopted a mixed breed a little over a month ago from the shelter. She's a wire haired dachshund. Lots of energy, cute as a button, so much character. Poor thing was at the shelter for 2 weeks. She goes in tomorrow morning early at the vet's to get fixed. She's about 6 months. The vet has told us what to expect when we bring her home but...you know how vets can be such doctors...just the facts mam' kind of explanations. Can other "mommies" here fill me in on what to expect? I owned a wonderful dog years and years ago...she was a stray we took in and had her fixed, but as an adult. Hubby wouldn't let me keep her inside at all and my memory ain't what it used to be. This was more than 16 yrs ago. Is it not much different for pups? This doggie gets to stay inside...she's a pampered poochie as much as I can pamper her.

I'm worried she's going to think we've "dumped" her back at the shelter or something. We can't pick her back up until wednesday afternoon!  I'm worried.
Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #569 on: October 26, 2009, 08:50:47 PM »

That halloween costume is cute! lol.

We adopted a mixed breed a little over a month ago from the shelter. She's a wire haired dachshund. Lots of energy, cute as a button, so much character. Poor thing was at the shelter for 2 weeks. She goes in tomorrow morning early at the vet's to get fixed. She's about 6 months. The vet has told us what to expect when we bring her home but...you know how vets can be such doctors...just the facts mam' kind of explanations. Can other "mommies" here fill me in on what to expect? I owned a wonderful dog years and years ago...she was a stray we took in and had her fixed, but as an adult. Hubby wouldn't let me keep her inside at all and my memory ain't what it used to be. This was more than 16 yrs ago. Is it not much different for pups? This doggie gets to stay inside...she's a pampered poochie as much as I can pamper her.

I'm worried she's going to think we've "dumped" her back at the shelter or something. We can't pick her back up until wednesday afternoon!  I'm worried.

Hiya Nick and Nora and Asta, too!

Your little one shouldn't have much trouble with the spay. She'll have sutures in her abdomen and you will have to prevent her from licking and/or chewing at them. She may not bother them at all... or she may need to wear a child's tee-shirt. In the worst case scenario she'll need an E-collar.

You will need to keep her calm and quiet for a week or so. That's the hardest part! No jumping, no stairs, no "zoomies" running. The idea is to keep her from putting stress on her incision/sutures until the body wall has sealed back up.

She can eat whatever she's used to and will probably be hungry. She may sleep a lot the day you get home.

You need to watch her suture line for redness, swelling, discharge etc (signs of infection) and you need to watch to make sure they are holding the skin edges together. There will be another layer of sutures under the skin that you can't see. Those sutures will be holding her body wall together. That layer of sutures is far more important than the skin sutures.

Your vet may send her home with medication for pain relief. Some vets choose not to do this because they think some discomfort keeps the patient quiet while they heal. I think that's nonsense, personally. You may have to ask for pain meds to take home.

She cannot have a real bath until the sutures are taken out, but she can have a "wipe-down" if she needs one. The vet will put some sort of ointment in her eyes while she is under anesthetic to protect her eyes from drying out. So she may have a goopy face. And she will have a endotracheal tube placed to administer the gas anesthetic. Since this tube goes down her trachea (airway) she may have a bit of irritation. If she coughs for more that 24 hours, take her back for a recheck.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to try to answer them. Let us know how things go for her.

NickandNora
Monkey Junky

« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »

Hiya Nick and Nora and Asta, too!

Your little one shouldn't have much trouble with the spay. She'll have sutures in her abdomen and you will have to prevent her from licking and/or chewing at them. She may not bother them at all... or she may need to wear a child's tee-shirt. In the worst case scenario she'll need an E-collar.

You will need to keep her calm and quiet for a week or so. That's the hardest part! No jumping, no stairs, no "zoomies" running. The idea is to keep her from putting stress on her incision/sutures until the body wall has sealed back up.

She can eat whatever she's used to and will probably be hungry. She may sleep a lot the day you get home.

You need to watch her suture line for redness, swelling, discharge etc (signs of infection) and you need to watch to make sure they are holding the skin edges together. There will be another layer of sutures under the skin that you can't see. Those sutures will be holding her body wall together. That layer of sutures is far more important than the skin sutures.

Your vet may send her home with medication for pain relief. Some vets choose not to do this because they think some discomfort keeps the patient quiet while they heal. I think that's nonsense, personally. You may have to ask for pain meds to take home.

She cannot have a real bath until the sutures are taken out, but she can have a "wipe-down" if she needs one. The vet will put some sort of ointment in her eyes while she is under anesthetic to protect her eyes from drying out. So she may have a goopy face. And she will have a endotracheal tube placed to administer the gas anesthetic. Since this tube goes down her trachea (airway) she may have a bit of irritation. If she coughs for more that 24 hours, take her back for a recheck.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to try to answer them. Let us know how things go for her.

Hi Brachiate. I guess our little puppy is kind of an Asta...a short one and brown. Lol. I'll try to include some pics of her.

Isabelle looked very pitiful today, same as last time she was at the vet. This was worse today because of course we had to leave her. I wish there were some way we could communicate with animals.

I hate to think she may wonder if she's getting dumped at another shelter. Time is going by so slowly!

Thank you so much for the insight. I've compiled a list of things to ask the vet about tomorrow.

No zoomies is going to be a challenge! 

Thanks again!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »

Oh,what a sweet fur baby.   an angelic monkey

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
NickandNora
Monkey Junky

« Reply #572 on: October 28, 2009, 11:22:09 AM »

Oh,what a sweet fur baby.   an angelic monkey

Thanks Trimm...your Digger is so cute....so many cute furry faced pictures to look at here, ya'll. The Pom-poo is adorable...my daughter saw it and now wants one!

I talked to the vet's office on the phone and they told me Isabelle's surgery went great and she's been resting well... we pick her up this afternoon...
Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #573 on: October 28, 2009, 03:41:03 PM »

I talked to the vet's office on the phone and they told me Isabelle's surgery went great and she's been resting well... we pick her up this afternoon...

Isabelle is a real cutie! Are you sure she's a dachshud? She has legs!  Monkey Devil!

I'm glad the surgery went well. Let us know how she is doing when you get home. 
NickandNora
Monkey Junky

« Reply #574 on: October 29, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »

Isabelle is a real cutie! Are you sure she's a dachshud? She has legs!  Monkey Devil!

I'm glad the surgery went well. Let us know how she is doing when you get home. 

Hi Brachiate...lol...that's what they tell me. The shelter said she's a WH dachshund mix breed and the vet says "oh you guys lucked out, she's a WH dachshund alright." and he kept pointing out the importance of the shape of the roundness of her back legs for some reason. I have no idea.

I think she looks like an Isabelle to me.

I'm sorry to say, I'm not so impressed with the vet's after yesterday. We go to pick her up and they just brought her out to us in a hurry...no vet, no vet tech to talk to, not even papers with info about after care, just told to bring her back in 10-14 days for removal of her stitches and if she swells or we see any pus or redness to let them know. And she started to run off. And this is a big place FULL of workers all the time so it just seemed weird.

I started to ask questions and she just kept backing away from us repeating what she had already said and was gone. Isabelle seemed fine when she gave her to us and we waited around to make sure before we went home.

Thanks again for filling me in about what to expect. It has been a big help!

She spent the night trying to mess with her stitches but not too bad. She's being a pretty good patient. She wants to run around like usual and we keep her from it...she doesn't like that. She'll lay down and look depressed for a while and nap or will fuss for a while unless we can get her distracted. Everything seems normal other than her wanting to mess with those stitches now and then. She keeps scratching her muzzle more than usual. Her eyes weren't goopy when we got her although she had a few black eye boogers, sorry for the graphics. I wonder if something they used irritated her skin maybe and her skin is irritated.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #575 on: October 30, 2009, 09:42:04 AM »

I love that photo.   

~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #576 on: October 30, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »

I love that photo.   

Me too 

Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #577 on: October 31, 2009, 01:47:17 AM »

It's great that Izzy's surgery went well and she is home now!

It's too bad that your vet's office didn't take the time to give you adequate information when you picked her up. 

Give her an extra skritch for me. 

NickandNora
Monkey Junky

« Reply #578 on: November 07, 2009, 11:32:46 AM »

It's great that Izzy's surgery went well and she is home now!

It's too bad that your vet's office didn't take the time to give you adequate information when you picked her up. 

Give her an extra skritch for me. 

Hi everyone. Hi Brachiate...I gave Isabelle quite a few skritches actually...she's been so itchy!

Can we talk about fleas?

The sample of advantage we were given last month didn't help her flea problem entirely and I think not being able to bathe her for 10 days due to the stitches made things worse. We made sure to wait a couple of days after the advantage treatment before we bathed her again, but the advantage just didn't seem to help. It's been a battle and not being able to bathe her due to the stitches, I think, helped them populate even more. We've treated her favorite sleeping spot...the couch. We do live next door to a cow field and a farm of various animals so "fleas galore" I'm sure...so maybe she's just picked up new ones from time outdoors. But if they bite her they should die right?

I've been trying to do some digging on flea control and, as with many topics in life...there are so many opinions on it!  What does everyone here use? I'd love to hear what the pet mommies here use and how well it works for you all.

At her stitch removal yesterday, HURRAH!, the vet suggested we try Comfortis. So we gave her that yesterday with some of her food. She tolerated it well. No vomiting or anything. Within 20-25 minutes we could see fleas moving around on her and oh the poor baby was really scratching big time from the activity. It was the one time she didn't mind us brushing her!!!Today she is still scratching but I can't tell if it's because of fleas...it's in thick patches of fur, like on her back and you know how fast fleas move. I'm not seeing any like when we gave her the treatment so I guess that's good? But then the treatment's effectiveness could be fizzing out? There's less fur on the insides of her legs, another place she scratches, so I think that's just irritation she's biting at there. But again, fleas are so fast. It's hard to tell. We put the comb through her fur and find nothing. She's definitely scratching less but I'm thinking she shouldn't have any fleas left? It's supposed to kill them all within 4-5 hours. lol. That's what it claims. Unless there are some still alive that haven't bitten her yet, news ones that should be dead after they bite her, or it's irritation and she needs a good soothing bath.

There are so treatments for that too. Lol...I'd love to hear opinions about that also from ya'll. What are some good soothing skin treatments for dogs that you've used? We've been using baby shampoo for her baths but as itchy as she's been she needs something much more soothing.

There's a sweet little gal at the pet store I ask these questions...but she's on vacation and the other lady there is a pushy rude person that only suggests the expensive stuff so...lol.

Thanks.

Brachiate
Scared Monkey

« Reply #579 on: November 08, 2009, 02:59:04 AM »

I've been trying to do some digging on flea control and, as with many topics in life...there are so many opinions on it!  What does everyone here use? I'd love to hear what the pet mommies here use and how well it works for you all.

Yay! No more sutures. Good for Izzy! 

I use Frontline Plus on Cyrus. It's a "spot-on" topical that I apply once per month. It works great. We do not have fleas. Actually, it works well enough that I just treat the dog and do not treat the cats and the cats do not get fleas either. We live in a rural area with a large population of raccoons, squirrels, etc, that keep the fleas happy and abundant. But we also have sub-zero winters giving us a die-off period every winter.

I loathe Hartz and all their products. Bad enough, they just don't work. Worse, they can be quite toxic. And I mean seizures, coma, death, TOXIC. 
Please protect Izzy from Hartz.           

I have seen ancedotal comments on a Dane specific forum that some flea control products are not working well in 'warm-year-round' areas. The suspicion seems to be that fleas are becoming more resistant to the active ingredients in the commonly used products. I don't have any factual information about this 'trend' or what specific products are working or not working. (This entire paragraph wasn't much help was it? <G>)

I am not familiar with Comfortis. Is that the long acting form of Capstar?

About Izzy specifically -- She may have Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD). When a non-FAD animal gets bitten by a flea, they have an itchy red skin reaction at the site of the bite. Many fleas means many bites and the animal can be covered in sores. But each sore is still an individual localized skin reaction.

FAD animals have a systemic, whole body, allergic response to a flea bite. Which means they can have itchy splotchy sores all over even if they only receive 1 flea bite. If it's FAD, Izzy's vet may prescribe an anti-histimine and/or an anti-inflammatory to help with a systemic allergic response.

I hope you find a safe and effective product for Izzy. Scratching and hair loss is no fun at all. Oatmeal based shampoo may help reduce her skin irritation until you win the War on Fleas.

I'm curious to find out what is working (or not) for the rest of our pet Moms (and Dads). 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.