April 19, 2024, 06:17:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racism, Reverse Discrimination, and High Standards  (Read 2139 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 14, 2009, 08:19:08 PM »

I had the opportunity to watch Fox today, after the SCOTUS hearings.  They were talking about reverse discrimination and standards.

Is it O.K. to hold one person to higher standards because of their race or ethnic origin?

From memory, the civil rights movement was the 50's and 60's and 70's.  It involved people of color, women, and any number of other groups.

The year is currently 2009.  From my vantage point, there have been several decades of progress. 

The only water fountains I've seen labeled for 'whites' or 'colored' are in old pictures.  The only signs I've seen that say "No Irish" or "No Gentiles" or "No Italians" are in old pictures. 

I've never been on a segregated bus.  They didn't exist where I grew up (at least in my lifetime).

In many parts of the nation, years ago, there was no diversity, no slavery, no segregation.  The only people I know that were slaves, come from outside the U.S., from places that still practice forms of slavery.  There are some in this country that are forced into slavery. 

There are generations, decades of people that grew up after the civil rights movement of the 50's, 60's, & 70's.  Are these people responsible for the acts of some that lived hundreds of years ago?  Fifty years ago?  Are people responsible for every action ever committed by someone of their racial or ethnic background?  Is this responsibility inherited along racial and ethnic lines?  Multi racial or ethnic folks get extra?

For some reason, I grew up believing that everyone should be treated the same.  It shouldn't matter if you're black or white.  It shouldn't matter what your ethic origin or sex or any other characteristic is.  Everyone is entitled to the same fair treatment. 

Did every state in the Union allow slavery?  Did every family own slaves?

I don't know how anyone can promote that idea that others, from any majority group should be held to a higher standard of behavior. 

Does this mean that Caucasians should promote their group with special groups?  Maybe some will include the biracial folks and other groups will not?

Why not insist that everyone maintain high standards?

What happened to the golden rule?  Treat others as you would like to be treated?

I think everyone should be held to the same high standards.  Everyone should be equal before the law and get the same courteous treatment.  Everyone should be treated fairly.  What happened to the rainbow? 

My mother told me many times "There will always be somebody who doesn't like you."

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.