March 18, 2024, 07:53:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lively Case Discussion #489 7/8 - 7/9/2006  (Read 123669 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #880 on: July 09, 2006, 02:01:26 AM »

Alabama Girl Missing for 4th Day in Aruba

By MICHAEL NORTON
Associated Press Writer
June 3, 2005, 7:14 AM EDT

ORANJESTAD, Aruba -- Natalee Holloway disappeared on the last night of a trip to Aruba to celebrate her graduation from high school. Four days later, the Alabama teenager is still unaccounted for, despite an extensive search of the Caribbean island.

"Honestly, at the beginning, we were hopeful the girl would come back," said police Superintendent Jan van der Straaten. "Today, we are more and more thinking about the possibility of a crime."

On the island remarkable for its absence of violent crime, hundreds of residents and tourists posted flyers to help the hunt. FBI agents helped the Dutch military and Aruba police scour outlying scrubland with helicopters and all-terrain vehicles but found no trace of the 18-year-old.

Aruba radio and television stations broadcast a reward offer from Holloway's family, though they did not specify an amount. The family promised to reward anyone who brings her safely to a police station or hospital.

"Everybody has been quite supportive," the teenager's mother, Beth Holloway Twitty, told The Associated Press. "I am not leaving. I am going to have Natalee with me."

Holloway came to Aruba for a five-day excursion with 124 seniors and 40 chaperons from Mountain Brook High School, near Birmingham, Ala. She was last seen around 2 a.m. Monday, Attorney-General Caren Janssen said Thursday.

Police discount the possibility she left the island, because they found her passport in her hotel room, van der Straaten said.

Hopes were lifted briefly just before midnight Thursday when a news photographer said he had seen Holloway on the west side of the island. Police rushed to the scene but found an island girl who fit the description but had brown hair, not Holloway's long blond tresses.

Dressed in the same blue and green striped low-cut blouse and jean miniskirt that she wore at the beach earlier in the day, Holloway spent Sunday evening partying at Carlos 'N Charlie's, a popular restaurant and dance spot where tourists and locals meet in the capital, Oranjestad.

She left 10 minutes before closing at 1 a.m., said the restaurant's master of ceremonies Jose Hernandez, 38. "Nothing was out of the ordinary."

Friends saw her getting into a vehicle outside the nightclub. She did not show up to catch her flight Monday. Her stepmother, Robin Holloway, said Natalee was last seen with a local resident who claimed to be a foreign exchange student.

So by June 3rd they are saying it looks like a crime.
Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #881 on: July 09, 2006, 02:04:32 AM »

I don’t think Van Der Stratten, or Dompig are behind this cover-up.  Think of their words.  Why implicate those you wish to protect?  

Someone hushed them and it came from high up.  Why?  What about this disappearance would make the knees of a country buckle?
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #882 on: July 09, 2006, 02:04:41 AM »

FBI Joins Search for Missing Ala. Teen

Saturday June 4, 2005 10:31 AM
By MICHAEL NORTON
Associated Press Writer

ORANJESTAD, Aruba (AP) - More FBI agents headed to Aruba to help search for an Alabama teenager whose disappearance on the last day of a high school graduation trip has shaken the quiet Dutch Caribbean island.

Police and volunteers combed beaches and scrubland for a fifth consecutive day, but found no sign of Natalee Holloway, 18, whose mother had tearfully pleaded for more U.S. help in the search.

Her mother and stepfather rushed to a police station late Friday night when police thought they might have found the teen in a car with some and stepfather held hands and smiled as they emerged from the station outside the capital of Oranjestad, saying the woman was not their daughter but they were confident she would be found.

``I know we'll find her,'' said Beth Holloway Twitty.

Justice Minister Rudy Croes announced late Friday that more FBI agents were on the way to Aruba, though he did not specify how many or say how many were already on the island. FBI officials did not return calls seeking comment.

Authorities say there is no evidence that the honors student was abducted, but police commissioner Jan van der Straaten said ``after four or five days you are afraid a crime has been committed.''

Her mother had pleaded earlier Friday for the Dutch government to request more direct help from the United States.

``We all have a common goal to find Natalee so we can bring her home,'' Holloway Twitty told reporters in a hotel conference room. She choked up and left the room in tears.

Aruban Attorney General Caren Janssen had insisted earlier that local authorities did not need more U.S. help. U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Washington was ``making sure that we provide all possible assistance to the family and local authorities.''

A $50,000 reward has been offered for information leading to Holloway's rescue, said Myrna Jansen, the director of Aruba's tourism office. The Aruban government and local tourism organizations were contributing $20,000, while family and benefactors in Alabama were offering the rest, she said.

Aruba's coast guard began searching surrounding waters, indicating authorities were considering the possibility Holloway was taken off the island with or without her consent. Police found her passport in her hotel.

Holloway spent the last night of her holiday at Carlos 'N Charlie's bar and restaurant in the capital, eating and dancing with classmates and residents. She didn't show up for her return flight.

Croes said police questioned and released two Surinamese nationals and a native of the Netherlands who said they dropped Holloway off early Monday at the Holiday Inn where she had been staying, rectifying police reports that the three men had been Aruban students. He said the three men were residents of Aruba.

The search has not been extended to Venezuela, whose coastline is only 25 miles from Aruba at the nearest point, or the neighboring Dutch island of Curacao, van der Straaten said.

Holloway had just graduated and earned a full scholarship at the University of Alabama, where she planned to study premed, said her uncle Paul Reynolds, who traveled from Houston to help in the search.

Reynolds said his niece was a responsible person who would not have run away.

``Natalee is very smart and focused,'' Reynolds said. ``It never crossed my mind that she intentionally missed the flight. When she did, I knew something was terribly wrong.''

Posters with a photograph of Holloway have been put up throughout island, with a caption reading: ``Kidnapped since 1:30 a.m. May 30.''

On an island remarkable for its friendliness, pristine beaches and an absence of violent crime, Holloway's disappearance has shocked islanders, many of whom say they are optimistic she will be found alive.

``She's not on the island,'' said Jany Winterdal, a 51-year-old taxi driver. ``In Aruba, we don't know what doing bad things to people is. For me, she's alive.''

There have been two murders and three rapes on the island of 72,000 people this year, compared to one murder and six rapes last year, none involving foreigners, police said.

Aruba has an average of 13,000 tourists on any given day at this time of the year, the Tourism Authority said.

On June 4th KJ says she doesn't need any help from the US.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #883 on: July 09, 2006, 02:05:08 AM »

Mishy,

I'm so happy to see you. I usually get to the LCD late 'cause I live on the west coast. What part of the country are you in?

I've missed you too!

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #884 on: July 09, 2006, 02:05:26 AM »

mishy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #885 on: July 09, 2006, 02:05:38 AM »

Klaas wrote:

Why would the police be searching the Lighthouse and Arashi Beach area on June 2nd if they were told the HI drop off lie already?

Good point, Klaas!!! When was the pow wow around the pool supposed to have taken place?

I will say that when I read the following on the day it was released, I was Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

I was yelling at the computer "Released!?!?!?!?!" "Not suspects!?!?!?!?!?!?"

Police questioned and released three Aruban men who said they dropped Holloway off early Monday at the Holiday Inn, where she had been staying, said police assistant inspector Jules Sambo. The three were not suspects

Bring Natalee home...
Sleuth
Monkey Junky

« Reply #886 on: July 09, 2006, 02:05:54 AM »

Quote from: "the big hammer"
SLEUTH -- Talk To Me...

Where did the "POOL HEAD HIT STORY" originate?

Where does this come from?

It was my recollection this was what ISA headmaster says reporting what jvds tells classmates.  Klaas produces NE report (verified) that ISA headmaster says "rocks and beach" for head hit.

Who said POOL?

Do we know?

Hammer, sorry, but I don't recall a pool head hit story, and I just checked and can't find anything regarding this.   I see the same ISA headmaster report as Klaas.  

I've heard three "hit her head" theories or stories:
1.  The statements (later found to be untrue) where Natalee hit her head while getting out of the car at the HI
2.  Theory regarding her hitting her head in the rocks area
3.  Theory of her hitting her head while falling off the pier that is up in the Marriot Beach area - the one near the Moomba Beach Bar

Check every detail-check it twice. At least check it once. FIND NATALEE
mishy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #887 on: July 09, 2006, 02:06:18 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Mishy,

I'm so happy to see you. I usually get to the LCD late 'cause I live on the west coast. What part of the country are you in?

I've missed you too!

In da South...

Bring Natalee home...
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #888 on: July 09, 2006, 02:06:47 AM »

HAMMER - Here is your KIDNAPPING charges:

U.S. teenager remains missing in Aruba

BIRMINGHAM, AL, Jun. 4 (UPI)

The search for a missing 18-year-old Mount Brook, Ala., girl missing in Aruba has turned into a suspected kidnapping case.

The teenager was in Aruba on a trip that was not sponsored by her high school, but which has been taken by more than 100 students and their chaperones for three years.

Her friends saw Natalie get into a vehicle outside a nightclub early Monday, the last morning of a senior trip to the Caribbean island nation.

An unidentified man accompanying her was subsequently taken into FBI custody, but no other information had been released by Saturday.
igsigs
Monkey Junky

« Reply #889 on: July 09, 2006, 02:10:45 AM »

Klaas, thanks for the old articles. Nothing much seems to have changed since.

Hammer - not familiar with any direct reference to *pool*. Speculation about such an offshoot of Joran's drowning statement. Then the concrete work done in pool area along with Joran's 'stopped outside his house' statement brought speculation anew. Some of it very reasonable, IMO.
Sleuth
Monkey Junky

« Reply #890 on: July 09, 2006, 02:10:56 AM »

Quote from: "mishy"
Hey Hammer, LouiseVargas, Klaasend, Sleuth, and all you other monkeys out there....how are ya'll doing tonight? LV, where have you been? I keep missing you!!

Klaas has email...

Hi Mishy,  I'm good - how are you.

Hammer has us on a mission to find the origin of a story of Natalee hitting her head on the VDS pool (and if we found it, when was the story told, and when did they say it happened), and so far we can't find anything about this...

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #891 on: July 09, 2006, 02:11:09 AM »

Men Questioned In Search For Teen Missing In Aruba
Three Men Called 'Persons Of Interest'

UPDATED: 5:00 pm CDT June 4, 2005

ORANJESTAD, Aruba -- Three men who said they dropped off an Alabama teenager at her hotel have emerged as "the most important lead" in the honor student's disappearance on this Dutch Caribbean island, police said Saturday.

Police, Dutch troops and hundreds of volunteers scouring coastline and beaches for six days have found no trace of Natalee Holloway, 18.

Deputy police chief Gerold Dompig said authorities were investigating the background and story of two Surinamese men and a native of the Netherlands who said they dropped her off at the Holiday Inn before dawn Monday.

Domping declined to call the men suspects, saying they were "persons of interest," but said the men were "the most important lead."

"We are working diligently," Domping said. "I want everybody to hold their breaths for the next 24 hours. There will be developments after this weekend."

An official close to the investigation said the three men -- legal Aruban residents between the ages of 18 and 25 -- told police they had taken Holloway to a beach at the northwestern tip of Aruba before dropping her off at the hotel.

But her uncle, Paul Reynolds, said he was told security cameras did not show Holloway returning to the hotel that night. Police declined to comment on that report.

Holloway was on a five-day excursion with 124 seniors and several chaperones from Mountain Brook High School, near Birmingham, Ala. She spent the last night of her vacation eating and dancing at Carlos 'N Charlie's bar and restaurant.

She didn't show up for her return flight, and police found her passport in her hotel room with her packed bags.

"Natalee's bags were packed and she's ready to go home," her mother, Beth Holloway Twitty, told a news conference. "Please help bring her home."

Holloway, a straight-A student, had earned a full scholarship at the University of Alabama and planned to study premed, Reynolds said. He described his niece as a levelheaded girl who would not have done anything rash.

Ten more FBI agents joined the search Saturday for the girl, Attorney General Caren Jansse said. "We need more technical assistance," she said, declining to elaborate.

Hey, they are the most important lead in the case and ALE knew they were lying.  They weren't detained as suspects but as witnesses and they lied yet they weren't detained for lying on June 4th.
mishy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #892 on: July 09, 2006, 02:11:29 AM »

Guys, I hate to pop in and run, but I gotta get up early for church in the morning. Great seeing you all...LouiseVargas, shoot me an email when ya can so we can catch up  Laughing

Love you guys!

Bring Natalee home...
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #893 on: July 09, 2006, 02:14:28 AM »

I was very surprised when I heard about the pool story, although I felt early on that they took Natalee to the VDS home. I read stuff like she was trying to run away and jumped over a gate and hit her head. I guess it's logical that if I believed the crime took place at the VDS's there could be a scenario at the pool. However, if she was given Rohypnol, even if she were coming in and out of consciousness, I don't she would be up to jumping over a gate. She would have been groggy and uncoordinated. And what was she supposed to have been doing by the pool? Running away and fell down by the pool side? That doesn't sound right to me.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Sleuth
Monkey Junky

« Reply #894 on: July 09, 2006, 02:15:13 AM »

Hammer - I called in to Dana's show last Sunday with your question regarding why haven't abduction/kidnapping charges been brought against Joran and K2s.  Also asked about the gambling and drinking establishments and why charges have not been brought against them.

Art never got to those questions.  I think I'll email them in to Dana for his next interview - he did say that he will have another Natalee-related interview next weekend.

Also check my nominations for the next interview   Wink

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #895 on: July 09, 2006, 02:16:00 AM »

Goodnight All

Hammer - I'll keep searching tomorrow
mishy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #896 on: July 09, 2006, 02:16:33 AM »

I will add that I was taking a computer class on the morning that Natalee missed her flight and my instructor was a Mtn Brook mom, who had just received word about Natalee on her email and told me about it. She said whoever emailed her said that they were searching for a "father and son" in relation to her disappearance...

It was weeks later when I heard speculation on the blogs or MSM that a "father" might have been involved...do I have that timeline right?

Bring Natalee home...
mishy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #897 on: July 09, 2006, 02:18:30 AM »

Goodnight everyone. I'll check back to this page tomorrow afternoon. I hope everyone sleeps well  Cool

Bring Natalee home...
Sleuth
Monkey Junky

« Reply #898 on: July 09, 2006, 02:18:44 AM »

Klaasend wrote:
Why would the police be searching the Lighthouse and Arashi Beach area on June 2nd if they were told the HI drop off lie already?

Good point, Klaasend.  This only makes sense if by that time they knew it was a lie.

Easywriter
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #899 on: July 09, 2006, 02:23:58 AM »

Okay, Van Der Stratten wants to protect Joran, so he says Joran confessed?  Then Dompig wants to perpetuate the cover-up by telling the world that the three suspects are “guilty as hell!”

I just don’t get it!  Someone hushed them and it came from high up.

Why?  What about this disappearance would make the knees of a country buckle?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.