March 29, 2024, 08:30:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World's oldest new mom (by IVF) dies at 69 , leaves twin toddlers  (Read 1602 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 15, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090715/ap_on_re_eu/eu_spain_oldest_mom
World's oldest new mom dies, leaves twin toddlers
July 15, 2009
  By DANIEL WOOLLS, Associated Press Writer Daniel Woolls, Associated Press Writer   – 2 hrs 30 mins ago

MADRID – A Spanish woman believed to have become the world's oldest new mother when she gave birth at 66 has died at 69, leaving behind twin toddlers, newspapers reported Wednesday.

Maria del Carmen Bousada, who reportedly died Saturday, gave birth in December 2006 as a single mother after getting in vitro fertilization treatment at a clinic in Los Angeles.

The births ignited a firestorm of debate over how old is too old for a new mother, and how much responsibility fertility clinics have over who gets treatments.

Bousada told an interviewer she lied to the fertility clinic about her age, and maintained that because her mother had lived to be 101, she had a good chance of living long enough to raise a child.

Bousada's death was reported by the newspaper El Mundo and Diario de Cadiz. Cadiz is the southern province where Bousada lived her whole life.

Diario de Cadiz quoted her brother, Ricardo Bousada, as confirming her death but refusing to disclose the cause. The newspaper said she had been diagnosed with a tumor shortly after giving birth.

The Barcelona-based newspaper El Periodico de Catalunya quoted Ricardo Bousada as saying he sold the exclusive on his sister's death to an unidentified television program and that the proceeds would go to looking after his sister's twins.

The newspaper quoted him as saying that it had been "very difficult. Lately, she had been really bad." He could give no further details because of the arrangement, the newspaper reported.

The Associated Press was not immediately able to reach the brother for comment.

There was no word on who would raise the children, named Pau and Christian. Bousada had once said she would look for a younger man to help her raise them.

In January 2007, she told the British tabloid News of the World that she sold her house to raise $59,000 to pay for the in vitro fertilization.

"I think everyone should become a mother at the right time for them," Bousada said in a video of the interview provided to Associated Press Television News.

"Often circumstances put you between a rock and a hard place, and maybe things shouldn't have been done in the way they were done, but that was the only way to achieve the thing I had always dreamed of, and I did it," she said.

The retired department store employee said she told the Pacific Fertility Center that she was 55 — the clinic's cut-off for treating single women. She said the clinic did not ask her for identification.

Bousada lived with her mother most of her life in Cadiz. She hatched her plan to have children after her mother died in 2005, she said, initially keeping her plan secret from her family. When she finally told them she was two months pregnant, they thought she was joking.

"Yes, I am old of course, but if I live as long as my mom did, imagine, I could even have grandchildren," she said in the video.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:45:35 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/07/16/ap6662332.html
Associated Press
Spain will not take custody of oldest mom's kids
By DANIEL WOOLLS , 07.16.09, 08:03 AM EDT
MADRID -- A Spanish official says social services will not take custody of the two small boys whose mother gave birth to them at age 66 then died at 69 last week.

The official with the children's rights ombudsman's office of the southern Andalusia region says the 2-year-old twin boys born to Maria del Carmen Bousada are not at risk because they are survived by relatives.

owever, the official said she could not confirm a report in the Diario de Cadiz newspaper that the children's godfather, a nephew of Bousada, will raise them.

Bousada died Saturday, reportedly of cancer. She was the world's oldest person to give birth at that time in 2006.

The official spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity in line with the rules at her office.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.