April 19, 2024, 02:51:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walter Cronkite 1916-2009  (Read 5803 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 17, 2009, 09:00:12 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-cronkite-appreciation18-2009jul18,0,5128038.story
IN APPRECIATION
Walter Cronkite: And that's the way it was

By ROBERT LLOYD, Television Critic
5:30 PM PDT, July 17, 2009
For many who grew up in the 1960s and '70s, Walter Cronkite was the voice of unfolding history. On the " CBS Evening News" and on the spot, his eloquent mediation of the great events of an age almost pathologically overflowing with them was essential to the way those events were understood. Even when he was temporarily at a loss for words -- his tears at the death of John F. Kennedy, his inarticulate glee at the moon landing ("Whew, boy!") -- he somehow spoke for the nation he spoke to.

Cronkite was not just a newsman; he was -- like Edward R. Murrow, who brought him to CBS and television -- as close a thing to the idea of a newsman as his age imagined. Except perhaps for Chet Huntley and David Brinkley, his high-powered NBC competition, all TV news anchors, news readers and news reporters, even the most august of them, seemed like variations on his theme, shadows of his Platonic ideal. A decade after his retirement from the anchor's chair, he was still being named the most trusted man in network news.

How to account for this? It was more than just intelligence and talent. The news that Cronkite reported was barely distinct from the news his colleague-competitors reported. (And to the extent it was, it was not the source of his regard.) It must have been something more basic to his bearing and manner of being. He was serious, but good-humored; he had a common touch without being folksy; he was impartial but not amoral, disinterested but not detached, above the fray but not without a point of view, though he never made himself the story. He later expressed regret at his momentary breakdown reporting the Kennedy assassination as behavior not befitting an anchor, but it was exactly that mix of feeling and restraint that defined him.
<snipped>

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:05:20 PM »

RIP Mr Cronkite, I remember your coverage of the Vietnam War, when I was very young, and it made a big impact for me. They don't have anyone around doing the news that even comes remotely close to you.  an angelic monkey
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 09:10:58 PM »

an angelic monkey Rest in peace Mr Cronkite.

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:44:49 PM »

Rest in peace Mr. Cronkite.   an angelic monkey

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »

I guess I am a little older than most, but I remember the day President John F Kennedy was killed in Dallas. The news broke into the regular programming, and Walter Cronkite sat in the newscaster's seat with no coat and tie as was alway protocol back then. He sat there is shirt sleeves and gave us what little was coming out about the shooting at Dealey Plaza and that the president was taken to Parkland Hospital emergency room.

Then he slipped his glasses off, and looked at the camera, and said in a choked voice that President Kennedy was pronounced dead at 1:00 pm CST. I can remember that day as vividly today as I did that day. The world spun off its axis for us. It just couldn't be!

But it was true, and Walter Cronkite led us through those awful days for the next few weeks, and went on to give us other terrible news from Viet Nam and beyond. But he had a firm way of telling us, and we believed him, and I think he told us the truth as he saw it. There were space shots, and other things that were sometimes wonderful and sometimes awful. But he helped us through it.

Some days, I think the world is off its axis again. Right now we are going through a really bad patch. I wonder what Walter would say, and if it would help.

Rest in peace, Walter Cronkite. You certainly made a mark on this world.  an angelic monkey

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 11:30:36 AM »

I guess I am a little older than most, but I remember the day President John F Kennedy was killed in Dallas. The news broke into the regular programming, and Walter Cronkite sat in the newscaster's seat with no coat and tie as was alway protocol back then. He sat there is shirt sleeves and gave us what little was coming out about the shooting at Dealey Plaza and that the president was taken to Parkland Hospital emergency room.

Then he slipped his glasses off, and looked at the camera, and said in a choked voice that President Kennedy was pronounced dead at 1:00 pm CST. I can remember that day as vividly today as I did that day. The world spun off its axis for us. It just couldn't be!

But it was true, and Walter Cronkite led us through those awful days for the next few weeks, and went on to give us other terrible news from Viet Nam and beyond. But he had a firm way of telling us, and we believed him, and I think he told us the truth as he saw it. There were space shots, and other things that were sometimes wonderful and sometimes awful. But he helped us through it.

Some days, I think the world is off its axis again. Right now we are going through a really bad patch. I wonder what Walter would say, and if it would help.

Rest in peace, Walter Cronkite. You certainly made a mark on this world.  an angelic monkey

Self edit It is funny how time changes your perspective on memory. Last night when I wrote this, I said Walter Cronkite had on no tie. I saw a memorial piece about him this morning and realized he DID have his tie on. A small detail, but to have had on no jacket sitting in the anchor chair on that day, was shocking and just magnified the seriousness of what was happening. Such a different society we lived in, in those days. "And that's the way it is."

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 06:21:09 PM »

Goodnight Dear Friend ......  Rest well ... an angelic monkey

Vietnam. Walter Cronkite and a CBS Camera crew use a jeep for a dolly during an interview with the commanding officer of the 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, during the Battle of Hue City. 02/20/1968

http://vietnamwarstories.wordpress.com/survey/

http://www.coutant.org/rca74b/index.html

http://newsroom-magazine.com/

an angelic monkey
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 06:23:54 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 12:06:28 AM »

Watched all the specials I could about this man, Walter Cronkite.  I remember most of it very well. Tonight's special, instead of 60 Minutes, was big...it brought tears to my eyes....he was a year older than my Dad.....yes, he was big...and this is how it was.  God Bless you, WC.  You will be here with us as we move forward. 

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.