March 29, 2024, 03:50:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ACTA "Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement", Dark Secrets, Free Trade & Ron Kirk  (Read 1132 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: July 19, 2009, 09:58:28 AM »

How many jobs are going away because of this agreement?  How much will Americans lose?

The groups told Kirk, “Based on negotiating documents that have become public—but not made available by the U.S. government—we have good reason to believe that the ACTA negotiations could harm a significant portion ofthe economy as well as consumer interests.”

From my brief reading, Kirk is on the 'Free Trade' bandwagon.  What has free trade ever done for Main Street?  

I read the other day, a Chinese official state that there is no such thing as free or fair trade.  I agree.

Who's looking out for Main Street?  It seems like government continues to look out for Wall Street, and large global banks, companies, and wealthy individuals who contribute nothing to the millions of U.S. taxpayers struggling to get by in this recession/depression.

Here are the main points of the July 14 letter:

1.  Delete the Internet-specific provisions of ACTA. Your staff acknowledges that these issues are some of the most controversial and complex in the ACTA negotiations. The dynamic and rapidly evolving nature of the Internet add to the difficulty of evaluating the likely impact of provisions in this area. Given the potential harm to the Internet economy and to consumers, therefore, we urge you to delete such provisions from the negotiations.

2.  Make available negotiating documents. ACTA concerns enforcement of trademark and copyright law. There is absolutely no reason for the negotiating documents to be secret. Indeed, given the highly technical nature of intellectual property law, and the inconsistent U.S. court decisions in this area, USTR would benefit from broad public input to ensure that U.S. negotiating positions do not stray from U.S. law. These documents should be available prior to sharing with international trade partners so that stakeholders can provide input prior to any negotiation.

Main Street locked out by the Obama administration?  No jobs for you America.  No money from your education and smart ideas either.  Just keep giving prosperity away and ensuring that future generations live in poverty.

3.  Establish advisory committees to represent Internet and civil society constituencies. The issues that confront the Internet differ significantly from those facing other industry sectors, and cleared advisors with expertise in the Internet industry would be able to provide USTR with information and a perspective that it is not presently receiving. Given the potential impact of trade agreements in general, and ACTA in particular, on consumers, USTR should also establish a consumer advisory committee to ensure that the voices of consumers are being heard as well.

Probably there is a secret Czar for this job.  One who will represent the consumer's best interest.  Only the best for you America.  No jobs, just a welfare program...and BTW, the bill will be paid for by future generations...

read more here, also links to letter - http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/2547

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.