March 28, 2024, 05:50:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tekerrious Jackson 6, Beat to Death by Father for Not Going to Sleep  (Read 5569 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 12, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7103811.html
Father charged in east Houston beating death of son
July 12, 2010

Tomas Rodriguez stands in his doorway next door to the apartment where 6-year-old Tekerrious Jackson was beaten to death. Neighbors were shocked by the boy's death.

Police charged a father with murder Sunday, accusing him of beating his 6-year-old to death because the boy would not fall asleep.

Police say the fatal, eight-hour beating was the final episode in at least two weeks of abuse that Tekerrious Jackson suffered since coming to spend the summer with his father, 34-year-old Alex McGowen Duncan.

“This has got to be one of the most horrifying and heartbreaking cases I’ve ever seen,’’ Houston Police Department Homicide Division detective Sgt. Brian Harris said. “The saddest thing is, that because of the unconditional love he had for his father, the child would often tell him, ‘I love you daddy.’”

Duncan would force Tekerrious — who was called TK — to get on his knees and raise his arms above his head when the child didn’t go to sleep, police said. Harris said Duncan would then proceed to repeatedly punch the child in the chest.

“If (Duncan) didn’t see him with his eyes closed or saw him wink, he would beat him,” Harris said.

Saturday night started the same way, police say. Duncan put TK to bed around 7 p.m. on one of the two mattresses in the small efficiency apartment in the 4900 block of Polk. Duncan shared the one-room unit with his girlfriend, 30-year-old Tammyra Sampson, and her 11-year-old daughter, Harris said.

After Duncan saw TK’s eyes flutter, he forced the boy onto his knees and ordered him to raise his arms above his head and clasp his hands together, Harris said.

Every time TK became tired and lowered his arms or gave an unsatisfactory answer to a question his father asked, he would get what Duncan described to investigators as “chest boxing,” a flurry of punches to the chest and the rest of the body, Harris said.

Daughter was witness

Harris said the beating continued until 3 a.m. with Sampson and her daughter witnessing the entire event. Harris said Sampson only intervened once to “show” him how to properly discipline a child with a belt.

“She said ‘I stopped him and said ‘If you’re gonna whoop him, let me show you the proper way to whoop him,’’’ he said.

At one point, TK soiled himself, Harris said.

“That sent the father into even more of a rage,” he said.

Shortly afterward, TK began to have what appeared to be a seizure. An ambulance was called and the boy was taken to Texas Children’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Initially, Duncan, who has a history of drug charges dating to 1995, told police that the bruising was from attempting to revive the child from the seizure by slapping him and giving him chest thrusts.

His story, however, did not match the 11-year-old child’s graphic demonstration to police of the beating or Sampson’s statements.

During his interview, Duncan told investigators that he beat the boy in order to show his son how to “man up.”

“He said he was trying to teach him discipline, so he would make good choices,” Harris said, adding that Duncan would also hit Sampson’s daughter, but not as severely because she was a girl.

Duncan is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday. Sampson, who has a criminal history and history with Child Protective Services, has also been charged with injury to a child causing serious bodily injury by omission. Both are in Harris County Jail with a bond of $50,000 each.

With father for summer

Duncan had gone about three years without seeing his son before calling the boy’s mother to say he wanted to be a part of the boy’s life again, Harris said.

The child’s mother agreed to let him stay with his father for the summer. When she left TK in late May, Duncan was living with his mother in the 5300 block of Coke. TK’s mother had not been able to get in contact with them and had no idea they had moved to the residence on Polk with Sampson but was assured that her son was OK by Duncan’s mother.

Neighbors in the small apartment complex were shocked by the news of the child’s death. They said the couple had moved in only a few weeks ago.

“There are people who pay lots of money to have kids. They take medicine so they can have kids and pay money to have other people’s kids,” said one neighbor, who wished to remain anonymous. “How can someone take the life of their own child?”

CPS is investigating and has placed the 11-year-old child with her paternal grandmother.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »

Sampson and this POS need to have the same punishment!
What is wrong with people??????

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7105366.html
A wish to bond with his dad costs 6-year-old boy his life
'I want to see him suffer,' mom says of suspect in brutal beating
July 13, 2010

Tekerrious "TK" Jackson endured severe trauma, police say.

Alex McGowen Duncan is charged with murder in his son's death.

Tammyra Lanette Sampson is charged with injury to a child by omission.

Accused of beating his 6-year-old son to death, Alex McGowen Duncan spent his days dealing drugs and his nights in marathon sessions of punching the child in the chest, prosecutors said in court this morning.

Assistant Harris County District Attorney Sunni Mitchell said Duncan’s girlfriend, 30-year-old Tammyra Sampson, told police the 34-year-old man spent the day making drug deals before putting the child to bed. When the boy wouldn't sleep, Duncan began punching Tekerrious "T.K." Jackson from 7 p.m. Saturday to about 4 a.m. Sunday when the child was taken to Texas Children’s Hospital where he died.

Police said the fatal, eight-hour beating was the final episode in at least two weeks of abuse that suffered since coming to spend the summer with his father.

Duncan and Sampson both gave statements to police, Mitchell told state District Judge Belinda Hill. She said Sampson told police that she noticed the boy’s chest was swollen and should have taken him to the hospital sooner.

Tekerrious had asked to spend the summer with his father, a man who had not been around for much of his life.

On Monday, the boy's biological mother voiced her wish for the child's father to die.

"I want to see him suffer," Lucy Jackson Adams, 30, said of Alex McGowen Duncan, 34, known as "Boomer," who remained in the Harris County Jail on a charge of murder. "I want to see him die just the way my son died. I'm angry as hell."

Adams said she never would have let her son stay with his father had she known the boy would be in danger. She said she never saw Duncan raise a hand toward her son.

She also said she felt a false sense of security because she thought her son was staying with his paternal grandmother instead of Duncan's apartment.
Anger at witness

Standing outside the Houston Police Department on Monday, Adams also had harsh words for Sampson, 30, who police said witnessed the extensive beating, along with Sampson's 11-year-old daughter.

Sampson also is in the Harris County Jail, charged with injury to a child by omission, accused of failing to promptly seek medical treatment for the injured boy, court records show.

"That girlfriend — she was less of a woman," Adams said tearfully. "How you going to watch something like that and condone that? You don't think he's not going to turn around and do the same thing to your child?"

T.K., who had just completed kindergarten at Stuchbery Elementary School in the Pasadena Independent School District, had lived with his mother his entire life, most recently in a house in the Sagemont subdivision of southeast Houston.

His parents never married, but when he asked to spend the summer with his father, Adams saw no reason to object.

"He wanted to be with his daddy and to bond with him," she said.

Adams said she learned of her son's fate when Duncan called her at work at 4:25 a.m. Sunday and told her they were at the hospital. She said Duncan claimed the boy had massive seizures, had thrown up and had soiled himself. Only when Adams arrived at the hospital, did she learn the truth.

Investigators said doctors found signs of severe trauma to the boy's body. Sampson's daughter also spoke up.

"That woman's little girl told (the police) everything," Adams said.

The 11-year-old told investigators that Duncan forced her to watch a series of beatings inflicted on the boy and said she also witnessed the eight-hour ordeal during the weekend. Sampson told police she once stopped Duncan so she could show him how to properly discipline the little boy with a belt.
Criminal histories

Both Duncan and Sampson remained in the Harris County Jail late Monday, each held on $50,000 bail. Duncan has requested a court-appointed lawyer to represent him.

Duncan has a lengthy criminal history in Harris County dating back to at least 1994. He has convictions for drug possession, attempted possession of drugs, assault of a family member, evading detention, failure to identify himself to a police officer as a fugitive, resisting arrest and possession of marijuana, court records show.

Sampson also has a lengthy criminal history in Harris County with arrests dating back to at least 1997. Her record includes convictions for theft, illegal redemption of food stamps and hindering apprehension.

Adams left the police department Monday with little more than tears and photos of her dead son in happier days.

"I know vengeance is not mine — it's the Lord's," she said. "But I can't say I'd say the same thing if (Duncan) was standing in front of me right now."

Just look at this beautiful, innocent child's face in the top picture.     May you rest in peace Tekerrious.  an angelic monkey

Hoping there will be justice for Tekerrious. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »

Oh Muffy, it's breaking my heart.  I had a dream about him last night.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.