March 29, 2024, 12:23:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A 'Barney Frank' Moment... (I didn't know there was such a thing)  (Read 1920 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: September 02, 2009, 12:38:45 PM »

Is a Barney Frank moment in Obama's future?
Betty Winston Bayé • September 1, 2009

...a Barney Frank moment. When a critic of the President's health care reform proposals showed up at the Massachusetts congressman's town hall meeting spouting nonsense and brandishing a poster of Obama, defaced to resemble Adolf Hitler, Frank asked the lady, “On what planet do you spend most of your time?” He then said, “It's a tribute to the First Amendment that this kind of vile, contemptible nonsense is so freely propagated.” More devastating, though, was Frank's dismissal of the woman: “Ma'am, trying to have a conversation with you would be like trying to argue with a dining room table.”

A best case example of how to deal with voters and critics?  A gold standard?

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090901/OPINION16/90831056/1004/OPINION/Is-a-Barney-Frank-moment-in-Obama-s-future

The article also mentions Obama.  When will Obama sit for an interview with the folks at FOX?  Beck?  BOR?  NC?  GVS?

Oops...maybe NC could interview Geithner, Bernanke?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »

The comments from that article are a hoot -

JollyStingRay wrote:

Replying to finecare:

Kennedy would have been dead along time ago under his own bill. his bill should die with him. if the blue dogs dont want to swim to France with Obama in 2010 and 2012 they better listen to their base.

the health care plan in Kenya i here is universal also, everyone dies. Maybe Obama can find his birth certificate there? Maybe he can take his aunt who was deported 4 yrs ago back with him, i,m tired of supporting her also!

You can't stop it. Universal Healthcare is good for the American people. Wink
9/1/2009 6:34:43 PM

dog_ger wrote:

Leah,
FYI, the repub's haven't said they won't vote for "any health care reform". They have stated they want to have appropriate reform.
I am glad Kennedy hated the current system. Unfortunately, he must have forgot that he was the architect of the current system(1971), and supported each change since then. It was he that pushed a law that:
1. demanded HMO's be offered to complete with insurance plans
2. take control away from the patient and turn it over to a company
3. Fund the HMO's so that they could get into the privately insured market
4. remove personal responsibility of health care decisions

Kennedy, and the dems fail to remember that there are unintended concequences for their feel good legislation.
But don't worry Leah, as long as the dems have you, and your type, to sit back and soak up anything they offer(without doing even a little research, then they will never be too far from power.
9/1/2009 11:41:26 AM

I also keep hearing Kennedy's name linked to "No Child Left Behind"...wasn't there a lot of criticism of that program by Democrats during the last election cycle?  Or, is my memory faulty?

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=pluckcomments&key=20090901.delawareonline.BL90831056.article.OPINION16&s=d

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:53:27 PM »

What about those that threaten voters at the polls?  I wonder if Barney added his voice to support those citizens? 

Barney Frank Addresses The Issue Of Persecution
Posted by Greg Michaels, Sep 01, 2009, 5:24pm

Accusing the Obama administration of Nazi policies will certainly get a reaction out of BF. But if you really want to see him animated, seize $40 million from two of the world's largest online poker rooms and see what happens. After the US Attorneys Office in the Southern District of New York put an end to some friendly online games of Texas Hold 'Em, B-Frank had seen enough.

"I have been following them and I'm appalled by them....Sometimes when I talk about trying to appeal this (online gambling prohibition), people say, 'Oh well. What are you worried about? They're not enforced.' I think that (the US Attorney's actions) is an outrageous example. I've complained to the justice department. It is persecution - you know - we're told that we don't have enough people, judges, prosecutors, etc to enforce the laws. The great weights of effort are just outrageous."

read more here -
http://dealbreaker.com/2009/09/barney-frank-addresses-the-iss.php

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:58:56 PM »

When one of the most powerful people in Congress says, “There ought to be a law,” you might want to duck for cover. That's especially true when that person is Barney Frank (D-Mass.), chairman of the House financial services committee…

According to Barney, it's not enough to pass laws that effectively block access by U.S. citizens and residents to offshore banks and brokerages. Nor is it enough to interpret existing laws to make it very difficult for U.S. citizens to purchase many foreign securities.

Now, Barney wants to forbid U.S. banks from doing business with countries that are – in Barney's opinion – poorly regulated. Otherwise, says Barney, they should "forfeit your right to participate in the American system." Further, “We will instruct the [Securities and Exchange Commission] and Treasury and the Fed to deny access to the American financial system to any country that holds itself out as a haven to escape our financial regulation."

Hmmm...let see...ignore the 'Dark Pool' trading, High Frequency Trading, Flashes...what else?

Ignore BILLIONS a month that are transferred from the U.S. to Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean.  I wonder what funny stuff those transfers enable?  Drug?  Guns?  Violence?  Money laundering?

...in 2003, when the Bush administration tried to thwart some of the more questionable lending activities of these quasi-government entities, Barney said, “Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are not facing any kind of financial crisis.”

After the Bush White House warned that the collapse of these mortgage giants could cause “systemic risk for our financial system,” Barney complained that the administration was more concerned about financial safety than housing. According to Barney, “The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.”

If Barney gets his way, and extends this draconian regime to the entire world, how do you think other countries will react?

What do you think that might do to the long-term value of the U.S. dollar? Barney apparently doesn't have a clue. But if Barney succeeds in exporting heavy-handed U.S. regulation to other countries, the prospects for the dollar aren't good.

What the article doesn't mention...what countries is Barney targeting?

http://www.sovereignsociety.com/2009ArchivesSecondHalf/090209CanWeSavetheEconomyFromAWalkingFi/tabid/5950/Default.aspx

What is the goal?  Ensure that American don't have access to safe places for their money?  There are anonymous Dark Pools, but not savings accounts?

Why isn't the Obama administration applying this logic to job loss and imports? 

Would this apply only to U.S. banks but not international banks?  Prevent U.S. banks from expanding?  Stifling Main Street?

Are there exceptions?  Grandfathered in favoritism?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »

To the Editor:

I guess I must be just a senior citizen schmo, who Reid and Pelosi have pictures as Nazis, mob members and unintelligent rabble rousers. I listen to the health insurance debate and I wonder, as Barney Frank so eloquently put it, "what planet are they from," to my uniformed mind, without 1000-page-plus bill and all those talking heads in the main stream media.

Let me offer at least the beginning of a 10-page bill on health reform.

One, there are over 1,300 life and health insurance carriers in the United States. What prevents them from competing? When states require such things as invitro fertilization in all health insurance policies, why am I not surprised that my health policy for a senior citizen costs more than it should? Why in the world should two seniors pay for invitro coverage?

All states have way too many mandates for all who would want to sell health policies at competitive prices.

read more here - http://www.wmicentral.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20364959&BRD=2264&PAG=461&dept_id=581906&rfi=6

I do disagree with this writers stance on 'pre-existing' conditions.  There are some pre-existing conditions that are minor, and some that are major and expensive.

I would compare pre-existing conditions and houses.

There is normal wear and tear, and aging, among other things that affect houses.  Sometimes, a house gets a new roof.  Pre-existing conditions. 

How much will other homeowers in a policy have to put out for a home in good shape?  A home that burns downs after years of coverage? 

There is a home that burned down yesterday and was either a total loss, or close to it.  There is no doubt that the home will be condemned within the next 30 days, and torn down.

Should this person with the burned down house be allowed to join a group of policyholders after the house has burned down?  How much should current homeowners in a policy be expected to pay for a home that burned down before the owner joined the plan?

There are many insurance plans that offered coverage for pre-existing conditions with conditions.  Coverage at an additional cost.  No coverage for say six month or a year.  A companies response to pre-existing conditions helps level the paying field between existing policyholders and newbies.

Should all policyholders pay for the next 1000 kidney transplants?  What about a plan that hasn't received any new kidney transplant members?

In my mind, I imagine community organizers targeting specific companies/plans with the sick and running them out of business - adverse selection.

Obama's public option recognizes the financial burden of pre-existing conditions and people with major medical problems, and makes financial allowances.  How can private plans compete with that?

my opinions

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.