April 16, 2024, 02:32:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THANKSGIVING-HOLIDAY DINNERS- So What Are Folks Having?  (Read 11688 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 07:02:55 AM »

That sounds delicious.  A meal fit for a two hour nap afterwards.  I can remember my thanksgivings from the 40's and 50's.  I just wish I had more appreciation for them then.  My grandfather would also seek out some comfortable chair after dinner and sleep.  I didn't know why at the time.  Now I do.   

Nothing goes together quite like great food, family and remembering the things we have to be thankful for even when not everything in this world is going smoothly.  It is always a day which seems to isolate your own world from the trials of the past and the worries of the future.

Everyone enjoy!!!   Please do keep posting menus.  I will just have to have a napkin over my keyboard to make sure I don't drool on it.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
Jennifer34
Scared Monkey

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 04:17:52 PM »

OK, I just realized that this thread started in 2006.  Seems like I would have caught a clue when it was mentioned that one couple was on their way over ...

I have got to start paying more attention ...
Garden Gnome
Scared Monkey

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 12:25:10 PM »

CBB!  Any chance you can put a silly turkey with my precious Daisy?  Or make it a little Thanksgiving festive?  TIA

Every now and then soft as breath upon my skin, I feel you come back again....and I believe.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 01:21:26 AM »

OK, I just realized that this thread started in 2006.  Seems like I would have caught a clue when it was mentioned that one couple was on their way over ...

I have got to start paying more attention ...

No problem Jennifer!

I am originally from Birmingham, but now I live in a suburb of Huntsville, if you can call it that. I'm not sure Huntsville is big enough to qualify having suburbs...
Birmingham is still home to me though!  I really do miss it!

This year, I'm having my children and a few of their friends at my table for Thanksgiving. My college daughter has friends who are too far from home to travel for the holiday, so we'll take care of them.  No one will go hungry, that's for sure!

I have my menu all planned:
Turkey
Dressing
gravy
Green bean casserole
Carrot souffle'
broccoli with home-made cheese sauce
squash casserole
fruit salad
rolls
apple pie
peach pie
pumpkin pie
coffee
tea

And a whole crew of college kids to clean up the mess while I relax with a cup of tea....yeah...like that's gonna happen!

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 02:21:59 PM »

Prepare a Safe and Easy Thanksgiving Dinner - One Day at a Time

Preparing Thanksgiving dinner can be a wonderful experience, yet daunting for those planning it. The goal is to have a safe and delicious turkey dinner, and if planned one day at a time, it can be a fun and memorable experience.

A good way to start is one week before the big day – on Thursday, November 19 at 3 p.m. ET – join the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) in a live Facebook chat featuring a holiday food safety expert from its Food Safety and Inspection Service. Members of the public can submit questions about safe preparation of the holiday meal—turkey, stuffing and other holiday favorites--and get live answers right on the USDA Facebook page. For more information about the chat or to submit questions in advance, visit the USDA Live page at http://www.usda.gov/live and become a fan of USDA on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/usda .

To ensure a successful and safe celebration this Thanksgiving, USDA recommends a Thanksgiving countdown. Ahead of the Nov. 19 Facebook chat you can:

•Plan your menu and gather recipes.
•Check your pantry to see what you have.
•Make a shopping list of needed ingredients.
•Check to make sure you have all the equipment you will need, including a roasting pan large enough to hold your turkey or meat.
•Buy a food thermometer if you don't already have one.
•Start using foods that are taking up space in your refrigerator and freezer to make sure you have plenty of room for your turkey, ham, or roast and other dishes.
Thanksgiving (T) minus 6 (Friday): If you decided to buy a frozen bird and haven't purchased it yet, buy it today so you have adequate time to thaw it in the refrigerator. For thawing a frozen turkey, move it into your refrigerator now. Leave the frozen bird in its original wrapper and place it on a tray to catch any juices that may leak from the package as the turkey thaws. Bacteria in poultry juices can cross-contaminate other foods that will be eaten without further cooking or that are already cooked, possibly causing foodborne illness. Allow approximately 24 hours per 4 to 5 pounds of turkey. For example, a 16-pound turkey would take 3 to 4 days to thaw. A thawed turkey can remain in the refrigerator for 1-2 days before cooking. Purchase fresh turkey only one to two days before cooking.

T minus 5 (Saturday): Do a thorough cleaning job on your refrigerator and the appliances needed for preparing the Thanksgiving meal. Sanitize all countertops and cutting boards using a solution of 1 tablespoon unscented chlorine bleach per gallon of water.

If using an electric roaster oven, bring it into the kitchen and make sure it is working. If smoking a turkey, have adequate charcoal and/or other fuels.

T minus 4 (Sunday): Set the table including serving dishes and utensils, and round up the needed chairs. Plan your Thanksgiving Day cooking timetable based on the size of your turkey or other meats. For cooking timetables and more information, go to http://www.fsis.usda.gov/fact_sheets/index.asp , "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or call the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854).

T minus 3 (Monday): Make vegetable side dishes and breads ahead of time. Store the side dishes in the refrigerator (40 °F or below).

T minus 2 (Tuesday): If buying a fresh turkey, this is the day to bring it home from the store. If you forgot to thaw the frozen turkey or don't have room in the refrigerator for thawing, don't panic. You can submerge the turkey in cold water and change the water every 30 minutes. Allow about 30 minutes defrosting time per pound of turkey. Cook immediately after thawing.

T minus 1 (Wednesday): No. Don't even think of pulling an all-nighter with your turkey. It's not safe to cook a turkey all night at 200 °F. The minimum oven temperature is 325 °F to ensure any bacteria are destroyed.

Check again to make sure you have all the ingredients you need to prepare your holiday meal. Although stores are probably crowded, buying needed ingredients now is essential.

Prepare wet and dry stuffing ingredients ahead of time and refrigerate them separately. Don't combine the ingredients until just before cooking the stuffing – inside or outside the turkey.

T (Thanksgiving Day)

If you still need to thaw your turkey, microwave thawing is probably your only option now. Check the manufacturer's instructions for the size turkey that will fit into your oven, the minutes per pound, and the power level to use for thawing. Cook immediately after thawing.

If you plan to stuff your turkey, mix the wet and dry stuffing ingredients just before placing the stuffing inside the turkey cavity or into a casserole dish. The stuffing should be moist, not dry, since heat destroys bacteria more rapidly in a moist environment. Stuff your turkey loosely and place it in the oven immediately. Lacking a thermometer, cook the stuffing separately.

Use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of turkey and stuffing. A cooked whole turkey is safe at a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F throughout the bird and stuffing. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh, wing, the thickest part of the breast and the stuffing. To see how to check the internal temperature, go to: www.fsis.usda.gov

All turkey meat, including any that remains pink, is safe to eat as soon as all parts reach at least 165 °F. When turkey is removed from the oven, let it stand 20 minutes before removing the stuffing and carving the turkey.

After Thanksgiving dinner, cut the leftover turkey into small pieces; refrigerate stuffing and turkey separately in shallow containers within 2 hours of cooking. Use leftover turkey and stuffing within 3-4 days or freeze these foods. Reheat thoroughly to a temperature of 165 °F or until hot and steaming.

On Thanksgiving Day, consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov (English) or call the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Eastern Time (English and Spanish). Listen to timely recorded food safety messages at the same number 24 hours a day. Visit the FSIS Web site at http://www.fsis.usda.gov .

Normal, non-holiday business hours for the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline are Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern Time (English or Spanish). Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. E-mail questions to MPHotline.fsis@usda.gov . Follow us on Twitter for the latest food safety news and tips at http://www.twitter.com/USDAfoodsafety .

More food safety tips for cooks preparing holiday meals can be found at the Partnership for Food Safety Education's new web site, www.holidayfoodsafety.org . The site includes food shopping and preparation tips, recipes, and food safety advice and activities and a Holiday Food Safety Success Kit prepared by USDA and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)/Food and Drug Administration to address consumer concerns about safe food preparation.

Diane Van 301-344-4777
Kathy Bernard 301-344-4746
FSIS Food Safety Education Staff
Published on: 2009-11-11
http://7thspace.com/headlines/325294/preparing_for_a_safe_and_easy_thanksgiving_dinner___one_day_at_a_time.html 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 06:41:37 PM »

A local restaurant that our family loves is offering a carry out dinner this year that they will be preparing...turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, assorted homemade breads and pumpkin pie...Serving 20-25 people for $131.00...that is what I am doing this year! I may make a few side dishes and of course munchies but I know that the food will be wonderful from this restaurant and honestly, I could not buy all of this food for that many people for the amount that it will cost us!  I am wimping out this year and I don't mind admitting it!
 I am thrilled...now I can enjoy a dinner that I have not had to spend all day preparing...and can enjoy the day with family .....

fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »

Ok I thought I'd add a humorous note to my Holiday Horrors!

I've been married 17 yrs and switch Turkey day on and off between the families and have hosted 3 times up to 25 peeps at my house.  I always have everyone bring their specialty and just do Turkey and appetizers/staples.  So this year it's Hubby's families turn and I just got the call from the MIL.
No I am not requested to make any of the lovely dishes she knows I am very skilled at making or picking up a great bottle of wine. 

No with Hubby's family once again I am asked to bring.....Brown N Serve Rolls!  I just cannot win!  Ok that's it gripe #1 for the Holidays.  Ha Ha!  I know I should be relieved really but I guess I just see it as an insult to my cooking capabilities.  Anyway there you go.  I got that off my chest to an impartial unknown jury.  I'm probably just to sensitive?!  Laugh away.
fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »

A local restaurant that our family loves is offering a carry out dinner this year that they will be preparing...turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, assorted homemade breads and pumpkin pie...Serving 20-25 people for $131.00...that is what I am doing this year! I may make a few side dishes and of course munchies but I know that the food will be wonderful from this restaurant and honestly, I could not buy all of this food for that many people for the amount that it will cost us!  I am wimping out this year and I don't mind admitting it!
 I am thrilled...now I can enjoy a dinner that I have not had to spend all day preparing...and can enjoy the day with family .....

I've done that before Cookie when I had a ton of extra's coming and it was wonderful and a real lifesaver.  Too actually slow down and enjoy company was a nice treat.  Enjoy it!
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 07:28:56 PM »

I've done that before Cookie when I had a ton of extra's coming and it was wonderful and a real lifesaver.  Too actually slow down and enjoy company was a nice treat.  Enjoy it!

thank you doll...and the same to you and your family! I am actually all set..went to the grocery today to get the incidentals to avoid the rush tomorrow..it was busy enough early this morning!

Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 05:19:37 AM »

Ok I thought I'd add a humorous note to my Holiday Horrors!

I've been married 17 yrs and switch Turkey day on and off between the families and have hosted 3 times up to 25 peeps at my house.  I always have everyone bring their specialty and just do Turkey and appetizers/staples.  So this year it's Hubby's families turn and I just got the call from the MIL.
No I am not requested to make any of the lovely dishes she knows I am very skilled at making or picking up a great bottle of wine. 

No with Hubby's family once again I am asked to bring.....Brown N Serve Rolls!  I just cannot win!  Ok that's it gripe #1 for the Holidays.  Ha Ha!  I know I should be relieved really but I guess I just see it as an insult to my cooking capabilities.  Anyway there you go.  I got that off my chest to an impartial unknown jury.  I'm probably just to sensitive?!  Laugh away.

You're not just too sensitive -   I know exactly where you're coming from as far as the in-laws are concerned!    This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful my in-laws are located on the opposite coast of the U.S.     
Sassycat
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 05:22:32 AM »

I've done this before and its worked out very well.     an angelic monkey
More time to watch football!   
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 09:15:10 AM »

Hubs and I have eaten one meal in my MIL's home in all the years that we have been together...
she on the other hand has had many meals at our home and has yet to ever bring one thing, ask what I needed or if I needed any help with anything....never lifts a finger to clean up and always arrives empty handed.....   AND she is the first one to fill her plate up! tsk tsk...gotta love those MILs! and I am one myself ! 

Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.