April 26, 2024, 01:25:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: East Texan Will Not Pay For Shooting Burglar  (Read 5312 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« on: July 24, 2009, 08:35:27 AM »

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=10782274

East Texan Will Not Pay For Shooting Burglar

Posted: July 23, 2009 10:50 PM CDT

Updated: July 23, 2009 11:03 PM CDT

By Kelly Hefelfinger khefelfinger@kltv.com

Late Thursday night, Smith County jurors cleared Terry Graham in a wrongful death suit, brought on by the family of a burglar he shot and killed.

33 year old Joshua Chambers was shot while in a car outside Graham's home in 2007, after breaking into it.

Jurors deliberated for four hours before reaching their decision.

During empassioned arguments, the family's attorneys argued that graham crossed the line shooting chambers, but the defense countered with the argument that the law was on chambers side.

The civil ruling mirrors the result of the prior criminal proceedings.

In that case, a Smith County grand jury refused to indict Terry Graham for Chamber's death.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:38:07 AM »

http://www.tylerpaper.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090723/NEWS08/907239993

Article published Jul 23, 2009

Jury Rules For Homeowner In Wrongful Death Case

By REGIS L. ROBERTS
Staff Writer

A verdict in the favor of Terry Graham was handed down Thursday by the jury in the wrongful death lawsuit against him.

The case was brought by the deceased Joshua Chambers' ex-wife Amanda Whitsell on behalf of their two children, Austin and Elizabeth.

The jury was given nine questions to consider in the wrongful death civil suit of Joshua Chambers.

The jury was asked to answer if Terry Graham — the man who shot Chambers while he was burglarizing Graham's house — committed assault; if the assault was malicious; if Graham's use of force was justified; if either Graham, Chambers or both were negligent and what percentage of negligence each were responsible for; if the death of Chambers resulted from gross negligence; the amount of compensation, if any, to be rewarded to Chambers' two children, Austin and Elizabeth.

The compensation to Austin and Elizabeth was broken down to the loss of companionship in the past and future, and the mental anguish they have and will suffer in the future. Additional compensation would be awarded for Graham's actions if found to be negligent.

On each of the questions, the jury found in favor of Graham.

Graham deferred questions on the verdict to his attorney, Tracy Crawford.

“I submit to you that Terry Graham has been victimized twice,” Crawford told the jury during closing arguments.

After the verdict, he said the initial burglary and subsequent legal actions have weighed heavily on Graham.

“Mr. Graham is very regretful that he was involved in Mr. Chambers' death,” Crawford said. “He did not feel it was his fault; he doesn't feel it was under his control.”

The desired verdict, however, does not make up for the expense Graham went through in defending himself.

Sighs came from Chambers' family and friends when the jury came back with their verdict.

“We expected it to go this way,” Mrs. Whitsell said. “It's Smith County.”

“It sends the message that property is worth more than human life,” she said.

Greg Porter, one of the lawyers for the plaintiffs, asked for $400,000 total to be divided equally between Austin and Elizabeth.

Charles Clark, the other plaintiff attorney, likened the task of weighing the facts like squishing a water bug.

He said the jury has had to sift through conflicting and changing expert testimony both from Smith County Sheriff's Department investigators Ira Earls and Noel Martin, and the hired experts Massad Ayoob, Richard Ernest and Albert Rodriguez.

Testimony differed on whether Graham was reasonable to suspect that Chambers, exiting Graham's home, posed a threat.

Crawford made the argument that Graham was reasonable in his belief that two stolen handguns were in a bag Chambers was holding.

Furthermore, Crawford said Graham was reasonable to fear that Chambers was attempting to run him over with Chambers' white Ford Taurus.

Expert opinion differed on the question of the movement of the Taurus.

Ayoob, Martin and Rodriguez testified that any number of explanations could account for a right turn out of Graham's way, including the idea Martin, a sheriff's office criminologist and crime scene investigator, offered that tire tracks at the scene might not have been from the Taurus (tire track analysis was not conducted in the investigation, Martin said).

Earls, the lead investigator of the case for the sheriff's office, wrote in his report that the tire tracks indicated that Chambers was attempting to get out of Graham's way and simply attempting to flee.

The minutest details were considered, from Graham's position in relation to the Taurus, to the placement of a basketball goal and even the meaning of “lead investigator” of the case.

“The implication is we shouldn't trust you because you weren't a criminologist at the time,” Clark said while cross examining Earls, who did not do as much field work as Martin in the investigation.

Clark and Porter argued to the jury in closing statements that Graham had options beyond shooting Chambers, making his actions unjustified.

Porter alluded to Ayoob's earlier assessment that Chambers, having two guns with better firing capabilities than Graham's single-shot shotgun and a car that could be used as a weapon or cover from fire, had a “tactical advantage.”

“Despite these ‘tactical advantages,'” Porter said, “Josh Chambers is the only person that got shot.”

Chambers had many opportunities to pull those loaded guns out of the bag, yet he did not, making his actions non-threatening, he said.

Mrs. Whitsell did not want to comment on the prospect of appealing the decision.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:41:59 AM »

Family of burglar shot and killed by homeowner fight back

Posted: July 21, 2009 05:00 PM CDT

Updated: July 22, 2009 02:03 PM CDT

By Layron Livingston - bio | email
Posted by Ellen Krafve - email

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Josh Chambers was shot in the head and killed after authorities say he broke into Terry Graham's home, outside Bullard.

Attorneys representing Chambers' family told Smith County jurors his crime did not warrant an execution. But, Graham's defense attorneys argue the law is and was on Mr. Graham's side.

"Only God and the State of Texas had a right to punish Josh Chambers," said Greg Porter, the plaintiff's attorney.

"Nobody knows what Josh Chambers had in his mind," said Tracy Crawford, Terry Graham's attorney. "Certainly Mr. Graham didn't [know]."

"That wasn't self defense, that was an execution," said Porter.

"They accuse this man of executing him," said Crawford. "I can't tell you how angry that makes me."

Wasting no time, the legal gauntlets were thrown down. During opening arguments, both sides detailed what happened that Sunday afternoon two and a half years ago. Authorities say when Terry Graham returned home to his farm, there was a car he didn't recognize. The door to his home had been kicked open. That's when he and a ranch-hand found Josh Chambers. At the time, Chambers was an alleged cocaine addict on probation for a previous burglary. Chambers was able to make it to his car outside of Graham's home with a stolen bag packed with cash, guns and a bottle of alcohol. But, Chambers would not make it out of the driveway alive.

"He never pulled a firearm on Mr. Graham," said Porter. "[He] never pointed any gun or weapon at him. He was trying to flee."

"Even if he was just trying to get away, the law in the State of Texas says what he did was justified," said Crawford.

"There's no death penalty in Texas for burglary or for being a drug addict," said Porter.

Ron Shaffer, Josh Chambers' father-in-law, was the first witness called, but not before the plaintiff's introduced Chambers' two children to the jury. The defense asked Shaffer to read a letter written by his grandson to Chambers during a stay in prison. Things quickly got personal.

"I understand you're busy, but [it] just take five or 10 minutes each day and write a little bit," read Shaffer.

"That man loved his children more than anything," said Shaffer to Crawford.

"More than drugs?" asked Crawford.

"I don't know about that," Shaffer replied.

The trial then turned emotional. The plaintiffs asked Shaffer to read a letter Chambers wrote to his family.

"It was very good to see you when came down with Nanny," read Shaffer. "I hope to see you soon. Have faith in God and remember to pray every night."

Jurors also heard taped testimony from the Smith County sheriff's deputy who investigated the shooting. A forensic scientist also testified. It is unknown how much in damages Chambers' ex-wife and children are seeking.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.