April 18, 2024, 10:33:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby, 3 wks. old stabbed/decapitated-San Antonio, TX (Mother chgd-cap. murder)  (Read 37003 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: July 26, 2009, 04:35:06 PM »

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/51742402.html
SAN ANTONIO (July 26, 2009)--A 2-week-old baby was stabbed in the upper body and decapitated and San Antonio police detained one woman Sunday, authorities said.

Police say they were dispatched to the home around 5 a.m. Sunday and found the baby dead in a bedroom.

The San Antonio Express-News reports one woman was detained and taken to University Hospital and police questioned two other adults.

Two children were home at the time of the incident.

They have been picked up from the home.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:57:22 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:38:44 PM »

http://www.woai.com/mostpopular/story/3-week-old-baby-decapitated-Updated-2-50-p-m/-HOT44iF20e4VY31gomJyQ.cspx
3-week-old baby decapitated (Updated 2:50 p.m.)
   Reported by: Kristina De Leon
Email: KristinaDeLeon@woaitv.com
Last Update: 2:51 pm
SAN ANTONIO - A 33-year-old woman was rushed to University Hospital after she told police she killed, decapitated and mutilated her three-week-old baby boy, Scott Wesley Buckholtz-Sanchez, early Sunday morning.

Police were called to a home on the 300 block of Wayside around 5am, and found the child dead.  They're calling it one of the most gruesome scenes they've seen.  The boy's mother is being monitored at the hospital because she stabbed herself after the murder.  She told police she heard voices and the devil made her do it.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 05:38:48 PM »

I was just reading about this at Beaumont Enterprise ... what a cruel world we live in. I can't wait to check out her mugshot. It is just so very WRONG that in so many cases like this the name of the Perp is not disclosed for several days, if ever. ... Fry her....period.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:08:28 PM »

I was just reading about this at Beaumont Enterprise ... what a cruel world we live in. I can't wait to check out her mugshot. It is just so very WRONG that in so many cases like this the name of the Perp is not disclosed for several days, if ever. ... Fry her....period.

I agree....fry her!
and if she tries to kill herself and succeeds, oh well!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »

Police:  Mother says devil made her kill baby
3 1/2 week-old infant found stabbed and decapitated in Texas home

DALLAS - Police said they found a 3 1/2-week-old infant stabbed and decapitated in a Texas home on Sunday and his mother screaming that she killed her son after the devil told her to do it.

Otty Sanchez, 33, of San Antonio, was taken to a local hospital in critical condition with self-inflicted stab wounds to her chest and stomach, said San Antonio police spokesman Joe Rios. Investigators took a sword, a machete and a kitchen knife from the home.

Officers also found two children unharmed at the home, though it wasn't immediately clear where they were taken.

Sanchez will be charged with capital murder, Rios said. Police said they didn't know whether she had an attorney. A spokeswoman at University Hospital in San Antonio said she couldn't release information on Sanchez's condition, but Sgt. Wes McCourt said her wounds didn't appear to be life threatening.

Rios said Sanchez was sitting on the couch "screaming that she killed her baby," who police identified as Scott Wesley Buchholtz-Sanchez, when police were called to the home around 5 a.m. Sunday.

"She mentioned that someone or something told her to do it, she was hearing voices. So that leads us to believe that she was experiencing some type of mental crisis," Rios said. "The baby had obviously been decapitated."

McCourt said she told investigators that the devil told her to kill her son.

The infant's body was found mutilated in a bedroom. He likely died earlier Sunday morning, police said.

A woman who answered the phone Sunday at the Bexar County Medical Examiner's office said she couldn't release information about the baby's cause of death.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32161045/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

San Antonio, TX – Well folks, this is one of those stories that is going to make your stomach turn.  Not much shocks me anymore, but every once in a while, a story will come along that makes me want to head straight for an underground bunker with some rations and wait out the apocalypse.  Early Sunday morning, Otty Sanchez’s mother went to check on her daughter and new grandson and walked into something horrible.  A scene that probably resembled something straight out of the goriest horror flick.  She found Sanchez cradling the decapitated and badly mutilated body of 3 1/2 week old baby Scott Wesley Buchholtz-Sanchez.  Pretty bad huh?  Hold on, it gets much much worse.

After walking in on the grisly scene, Sanchez’s mother took the dead baby from Sanchez and dialed 911.  When officers arrived, they found the body of the infant laying on the bed in a pool of blood.  The child had not only been decapitated, he had been skinned and gutted.  Oh, and body parts were missing.  The body had to be removed in two bags.

Police found Sanchez sitting on the couch screaming “I killed my baby.  I want to die.”  She claims she was hearing voices and the devil made her do it.  She used a kitchen knife and possibly a sword and machete to kill the baby.  She then stabbed herself in the chest and abdomen.  When asked about the missing body parts, Sanchez said she ate them.  Ate. Them.  Gimme a sec.  I feel faint.  Ugh.

Sanchez was detained and taken to the hospital.  When she is released she will be charged with capital murder which means she will be facing the death penalty.

No word yet on whether this was a bad case of Postpartum Psychosis or if she was on some sort of really bad drug.  There also is no mugshot to be found yet and I am dying to see what she looks like.  Not sure if it will help much, but putting a face to the act may help me process it better.  One thing I do know for sure, Sanchez’s mother will be needing some major therapy.  This definitely qualifies as one of those things you can not unsee.

http://www.dreamindemon.com/2009/07/26/the-devil-made-otty-sanchez-kill-her-baby/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 10:39:06 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 11:04:46 PM »

I can't stop shaking my head.... 

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »

It's terrible.  I see you edited the baby's age from 2 to 3 weeks.  I found the initial articles stating the age as two weeks.  And then I saw one for three weeks.  It's just beyond belief, no matter if 2 or 3 weeks.  Sweet, soft, little baby.  And this was done.   

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 11:37:50 PM »

It's terrible.  I see you edited the baby's age from 2 to 3 weeks.  I found the initial articles stating the age as two weeks.  And then I saw one for three weeks.  It's just beyond belief, no matter if 2 or 3 weeks.  Sweet, soft, little baby.  And this was done.   

I too think I have seen it or heard it and nothing shocks me anymore.  But this one . . .

Bells
Scared Monkey

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:55:51 AM »

After walking in on the grisly scene, Sanchez’s mother took the dead baby from Sanchez and dialed 911.  When officers arrived, they found the body of the infant laying on the bed in a pool of blood.  The child had not only been decapitated, he had been skinned and gutted.  Oh, and body parts were missing.  The body had to be removed in two bags.

Police found Sanchez sitting on the couch screaming “I killed my baby.  I want to die.”  She claims she was hearing voices and the devil made her do it.  She used a kitchen knife and possibly a sword and machete to kill the baby.  She then stabbed herself in the chest and abdomen.  When asked about the missing body parts, Sanchez said she ate them.  Ate. Them.  Gimme a sec.  I feel faint.  Ugh.

Hi everyone, i'm new. But this has shocked me to my core.

Rest with God sweet baby. I understand postpartum but this is horrifying. In my heart, regardless of what the reasoning is, I want her to fry, and fry now. She should not be sharing the same oxygen we do.

Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself...
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »

San Antonio police investigate baby's behading

SAN ANTONIO — A San Antonio mother who police say decapitated her infant son and screamed the devil told her to do it was hospitalized and detained on $1 million bail over the slaying.

Otty Sanchez has self-inflicted stab wounds to her chest and stomach that police don't believe are life-threatening. San Antonio police spokeswoman Romano Lopez said Monday the 33-year-old mother has been formally charged with capital murder.

The 3 1/2-week-old baby was identified as Scott Wesley Buchholtz-Sanchez, born June 30. Investigators took a sword, a machete and knife from the home after police arrived early Sunday.

Authorities say Sanchez told police she was hearing voices.

The infant's body was found stabbed and mutilated in a bedroom.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6548860.html

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 01:56:32 PM »

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/2-week-old_baby_stabbed_to_death.html
Web Posted: 07/27/2009 1:05 CDT

Police: Mom said she killed newborn

By Eva Ruth Moravec and Michelle Mondo   - Express-News

In what police describe as one of the most gruesome crimes against a child in recent memory, an infant boy was stabbed, decapitated and mutilated early Sunday.

His 33-year-old mother claimed responsibility, police said.

Otty Sanchez told police that she was “hearing voices” and that the devil made her kill Scott Wesley Buchholtz Sanchez, to whom she gave birth on June 30, San Antonio police spokesman Joe Rios said.

San Antonio police investigate a North Side home where a nearly 4-week-old infant was fatally stabbed.

Sanchez used a steak knife to repeatedly stab the nearly 4-week-old baby, then decapitate and mutilate him, Rios said. A police source said the baby was skinned and gutted.

Sanchez then used the knife to stab herself in the chest and abdomen, police said.

Sanchez was detained and taken to University Hospital, where she remained in stable condition Sunday night. She was charged by proxy late Sunday with capital murder, which is punishable by the death penalty. Bond was set at $1 million.

The brutal crime unfolded in a single-story home in the 300 block of Wayside Drive, where police were called just before 5 a.m. According to police, Sanchez lives in the North Side home with her sister and the sister's two children, and Sanchez's mother stays in a small, separate structure behind the house.

Neighbor Elaine Colchin said that just months ago, she was cleaning out her garage when Sanchez's mother stopped by and asked for a discarded baby bed.

“I gave it to her, and she was so happy, she was going to paint it for her new grandson,” Colchin said. “It was a family bed — my daughter, son and husband all used it; now it turned out to be a nightmare.”

It was Sanchez's mother who called police Sunday. She told them she was awakened by Sanchez around 4:30 a.m. She said she saw her daughter sitting with the boy. He had been decapitated, a police report said. Sanchez's mother took the baby, put him on a bed and called police, according to the report.

When police arrived, Sanchez was sitting on a couch, yelling, “I killed my baby. I want to die,” the report said.

An officer found the child's body lying in blood on a bed next to the knife, believed to be the weapon used in the killing, and two swords, which Rios said were not involved in the death. Authorities were seen carrying two bags out of the home, and officials on the scene confirmed that they contained the baby's remains.

The baby was missing body parts, and police were investigating claims the mother made to them about ingesting those parts, sources said.

Colchin was surprised to hear that Sanchez, who brought her baby across the street for a visit last week, is a suspect in the infant's death, though she admits Sanchez sometimes appeared a bit odd.

“She was never aggressive; always sweet,” Colchin said. “She did seem to be living in a world of her own, but she must have been deranged. I feel so sorry for that baby, the little angel.”

Rios said Sanchez did not have a criminal history related to mental illness, but police will investigate that further, and the district attorney's office will handle how Sanchez's mental state affected her actions.

There was one police report on file, from May 2008, when Sanchez's mother called police to report that Sanchez went to Austin and didn't return. In the report, the mother told police she believed that Sanchez went to Austin to use drugs and that Sanchez was not suffering from mental issues.

The two children of Sanchez's sister were home at the time of the baby's death and were not injured.

Rios said initial information showed that the baby was Sanchez's only child. The baby's father, who did not live with Sanchez, was notified. A relative of the father said the family did not want to comment.

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 06:08:14 PM »

Police: Woman accused of killing newborn ate brain

Associated Press
Monday, July 27, 2009

A woman charged with murdering her 3[1/2]-week-old son used a knife and two swords to dismember the child and ate parts of his body, including his brain, before stabbing herself in the torso and slicing her own throat, police said Monday.

Otty Sanchez, 33, is charged with capital murder in the death of her infant son, Scott Wesley Buchholtz-Sanchez. She was recovering from her wounds at a hospital, and was being held on $1 million bail.

San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said the early Sunday morning attack occurred a week after the child's father moved out. Otty Sanchez's sister and her sister's two children, ages 5 and 7, were in the house, but none were harmed.

Otty Sanchez's aunt, Gloria Sanchez, said her niece had been "in and out" of a psychiatric ward, and that the hospital called several months ago looking to check up on her. She did not elaborate on the nature of her niece's health problems.

"Otty didn't mean to do that. She was not in her right mind," a sobbing Gloria Sanchez told The Associated Press on Monday by phone. She said her family was devastated.

McManus, who appeared uncomfortable as he addressed reporters, said Sanchez apparently ate the child's brain and some other body parts. She also decapitated the infant, tore off his face and chewed off three of his toes before stabbing herself.

"It's too heinous for me to describe it any further," McManus said.

McManus described the crime scene as so grisly that police officers barely spoke to each other while looking through the house. Parts of the child were missing, including pieces that Sanchez allegedly ate.

"At this particular scene you could have heard a pin drop," McManus said. "No one was speaking. It was about as somber as it could have been."

Officers called to Sanchez's house at about 5 a.m. Sunday found her sitting on the couch screaming "I killed my baby! I killed my baby!" McManus said. They found the boy's body in a bedroom.

Police said Sanchez said the devil told her to kill her son and that she was hearing voices.

"It was a spontaneous utterance," McManus said.

Police said Sanchez did not have an attorney, and they declined to identify family members who might speak on her behalf.

No one answered the door Monday at Sanchez's one-story home, where the blinds were shut. A hopscotch pattern and red hearts were drawn on the walk leading up to the house.

Neighbor Luis Yanez, 23, said his kids went to school with one of the small children who lived at the house. He said he often saw a woman playing outside with the children but didn't know whether it was Otty.

"Why would you do that to your baby?" said Yanez, a tire technician. "It brings chills to you. They can't defend themselves."

Authorities said Sanchez and her sister took turns watching the baby Sunday morning, and that the boy was placed in Sanchez's care at about 1:30 a.m. Her sister discovered what happened about three hours later and called police.

Investigators are looking into whether postpartum depression could have played a role in the attack, McManus said. Authorities said they were looking into Sanchez's mental health history to see if there was anything "significant" but did not elaborate.

http://www.caller.com/news/2009/jul/27/police-woman-accused-killing-newborn-ate-brain/

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:56:37 PM »

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BABY_DECAPITATED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
Jul 27, 9:31 PM EDT

Texas investigators stunned by child dismemberment

By PAUL J. WEBER
Associated Press Writer

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- The scene was so gruesome investigators could barely speak: A 3 1/2-week-old boy lay dismembered in the bedroom of a single-story house, three of his tiny toes chewed off, his face torn away, his head severed and his brains ripped out.

"At this particular scene you could have heard a pin drop," San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said Monday. "No one was speaking. It was about as somber as it could have been."

Officers called to the home early Sunday found the boy's mother, Otty Sanchez, sitting on the couch with a self-inflicted wound to her chest and her throat partially slashed, screaming "I killed my baby! I killed my baby!" police said. She told officers the devil made her do it, police said.

Sanchez, 33, apparently ate the child's brain and some other body parts before stabbing herself, McManus said.

"It's too heinous for me to describe it any further," McManus told reporters.

Sanchez is charged with capital murder in the death of her son, Scott Wesley Buccholtz-Sanchez. She was being treated Monday at a hospital, and was being held on $1 million bail.

The slaying occurred a week after the child's father moved out, McManus said. Otty Sanchez's sister and her sister's two children, ages 5 and 7, were in the house, but none were harmed.

Police said Sanchez did not have an attorney, and they declined to identify family members.

No one answered the door Monday at Sanchez's home, where the blinds were shut. A hopscotch pattern and red hearts were drawn on the walk leading up to the house.

Sanchez's aunt, Gloria Sanchez, said her niece had been "in and out" of a psychiatric ward but did not say where she was treated or why. She said a hospital called several months ago to check up on her.

"Otty didn't mean to do that. She was not in her right mind," a sobbing Gloria Sanchez told The Associated Press on Monday by phone. She said her family was devastated.

Investigators are looking into Sanchez's mental health history to see if there was anything "significant," and whether postpartum difficulties could have factored into the attack, McManus said.

Postpartum depression and psychosis have been cited as contributing factors in several other cases in Texas in recent years in which mothers killed their children.

Andrea Yates drowned her five children in her Houston-area home 2001, saying she believed Satan was inside her and trying to save them from hell. Her attorneys said she had been suffering from severe postpartum psychosis, and a jury found Yates not guilty by reason of insanity in 2006.

In 2004, Dena Schlosser killed her 10-month-old in her Plano home by slicing off the baby's arms. She was found not guilty of reason by insanity, after testifying that she killed the baby because she wanted to give her to God.

Sanchez's neighbors expressed sorrow and horror Monday at the grisly killing.

Neighbor Luis Yanez, 23, said his kids went to school with one of the small children who lived at the house. He said he often saw a woman playing outside with the children but didn't know whether it was Otty.

"Why would you do that to your baby?" said Yanez, a tire technician. "It brings chills to you. They can't defend themselves."

Allen Taylor, another neighbor, said "once she gets back in her right mind, she's going to be devastated."

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 08:49:23 AM »

Slain infant's mother mentally ill, her family says
By ROBERT CROWE, MICHELLE MONDO and NANCY PREYOR-JOHNSON San Antonio Express-News
July 27, 2009, 11:01PM

SAN ANTONIO — The 33-year-old San Antonio woman accused of decapitating her infant son and eating parts of his body had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and postpartum psychosis, family members said Monday.

Otty Sanchez said she killed Scott Wesley Buchholz Sanchez on Sunday with a steak knife and two swords before mutilating the baby and eating parts of his body, including his brain, nose and toes, police said.

She has been charged with capital murder and remained under 24-hour observation Monday at University Hospital, where she was treated for self-inflicted knife wounds.

The father of the baby now is asking that she receive the death penalty.

“She was a sweet person and I still love her, but she needs to pay the ultimate price for what she has done,” said Scott W. Buchholz, who referred to his child as “baby Scotty.”

Sanchez's relatives are hoping authorities will take into consideration her history of mental illness, which included a recent diagnosis of postpartum psychosis.

“It's just tragic and unbelievable what happened,” said Greg Garcia, Sanchez's first cousin who considers her a sister. “She was a good, hard-working person, but she had been diagnosed with schizophrenia last year.”

Child Protective Services officials said the agency has never investigated Sanchez. On Monday, the agency was at the home of the woman's mother, where early Sunday morning police found the mutilated body. Sanchez is the aunt to two young children, 5 and 6, who live there.

Police said the two children, their mother, and Sanchez's mother were in the home at the time of the slaying. The adult women had taken turns caring for baby Scotty at night. Sanchez's shift began at 1:30 p.m. Her sister discovered the baby's body about 4:30 a.m. and called police about 5 a.m.

Sanchez told detectives that she was “hearing voices” and the devil made her kill the baby boy she had given birth to June 30, police said.

The Bexar County District Attorney's Office will review the homicide detectives' recommended capital murder charge, which is punishable by the death penalty.

“You can still be prosecuted if you have some form of mental illness,” said Bexar County First Assistant District Attorney Cliff Herberg. “The test is if you understand the difference between right and wrong. The question is whether or not you know your act is wrong.”

Defense attorneys can request competency hearings to determine whether Sanchez is fit to stand trial.

Relatives said Sanchez's mental health had severely deteriorated in the week before baby Scotty's death. On July 20, she moved out of the home she was sharing with the baby's father.

That day she checked herself into a hospital after hearing voices, but she soon checked herself out. She then took the baby to her mother's home. Buchholz called her every day to persuade her to return to their home.

She reappeared about 2 p.m. Saturday at Buchholz's parent's home.

“We were so happy to see Scotty again,” said Buchholz.

She was at the home for about 15 minutes when Buchholz told Sanchez that he needed a copy of baby Scotty's birth certificate and Social Security card. The request seemed to “set her off,” Buchholz said.

“She grabbed the baby and just said, ‘I gotta go. I gotta go. I'm out of here.'”

Sanchez and Buchholz met in 2003, while enrolled in the San Antonio College of Medical and Dental Assistance. The relationship was on and off for the past six years, but they became more dedicated after learning she was pregnant last year, relatives said.

Buchholz also has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Buchholz said Sanchez had been hospitalized for her mental illness at least once.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6550129.html

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 08:54:03 AM »

Photo of "Baby Scotty" at this link 

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/texas/090727_brutal_murder_explain

Edit to post pic.  MB
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:55:26 AM by MuffyBee » Logged

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 10:41:57 AM »

Mom of slain baby under suicide watch

08:26 AM CDT on Tuesday, July 28, 2009
http://www.khou.com/news/state/stories/khou090728_tnt_baby-killed-san-antonio.84be8e0d.html

~~~~~~~~~
  She'll probabaly get a year or two (IF THAT) in a mental ward and then be released back into the public 

Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 12:19:52 PM »

Relatives say Texas mother of decapitated baby had schizophrenia and postpartum psychosis

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/apArticle/id/D99NHC180/

Photo of mother here (I have a few different names for her other than "mother"...but I will keep my mouth shut)

Muffy, I promise one day I will learn to post pics   

Edit to add pic.  Thank you for bring the article, Leroy.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:22:15 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 05:19:03 PM »

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Mutilated_infants_mother_diagnosed_with_depression_psychosis.html
 By Robert Crowe, Michelle Mondo and Nancy Preyor-Johnson   - Express-News
 Web Posted: 07/27/2009 11:47 CDT
Baby's mother diagnosed with psychosis

Otty Sanchez is accused of decapitating and mutilating her infant son, Scott Wesley Buchholz Sanchez, who was born June 30.

The 33-year-old woman who police said decapitated her infant son and ate parts of his body had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and postpartum psychosis before the slaying at a North Side home this weekend, the family said Monday.

Otty Sanchez confessed to killing Scott Wesley Buchholz Sanchez on Sunday with a steak knife and two swords before mutilating the corpse and eating body parts that included the brain, nose and toes, police said.

She has been charged with capital murder and remained under 24-hour observation Monday at University Hospital, where she was treated for self-inflicted knife wounds.

The father of the baby said Sanchez should receive the death penalty.

“She was a sweet person and I still love her, but she needs to pay the ultimate price for what she has done,” said Scott W. Buchholz, who referred to his child as “baby Scotty.” “She needs to be put to death for what she has done.”

But Sanchez's relatives are hoping authorities will take into consideration her history of mental illness, which included a recent diagnosis of postpartum psychosis.

“It's just tragic and unbelievable what happened,” said Greg Garcia, Sanchez's first cousin, who considers her a sister. “She was a good, hard-working person, but she had been diagnosed with schizophrenia last year.”

The death happened at Sanchez's mother's home in the 300 block of Wayside Drive between 1:30 and 4:30 a.m. When officers arrived about 5 a.m. to find Scotty's mutilated body, Sanchez quickly confessed to the crime, police said.

“She was hysterical, screaming, ‘I killed my baby. I killed my baby,'” Police Chief William McManus said.

Sanchez told detectives that she was “hearing voices” and the devil made her kill her baby boy, who was born June 30.

The Bexar County district attorney's office will review the detectives' recommended capital murder charge, which is punishable by the death penalty.

“You can still be prosecuted if you have some form of mental illness,” said First Assistant District Attorney Cliff Herberg. “The test is if you understand the difference between right and wrong. The question is whether or not you know your act is wrong.”

Dr. Lucy Puryear, a Houston psychiatrist and author, said mothers who experience postpartum psychosis often have a history of other mental disorders, but in some cases childbirth triggers the psychosis.

“It's usually really severe,” Puryear said.

Puryear testified as an expert witness in the case of Andrea Yates, who drowned her five children in Houston in 2001.

While postpartum depression affects one in 10 mothers, Puryear said, the more severe postpartum psychosis — which includes hallucinations — affects one in 1,000.

“In all of the (high-profile) cases, the thinking involves the babies: The mother had to kill the baby to protect it, or God has spoken to the mother and there is a mission to kill the baby, or sometimes the baby is the devil, who needs to be gotten rid of to save the world,” she said.

Relatives said Sanchez's mental health severely deteriorated in the week before Scotty's death. On July 20, she moved out of the home she shared with the baby and his father near Windcrest.

The same day, she checked herself into a hospital after hearing voices, but she soon checked herself out, according to a source familiar with the investigation but unauthorized to speak to the media. She then took the baby to stay at her mother's home.

Buchholz said he called her every day to convince her to return, to no avail.

She finally reappeared about 2 p.m. Saturday at Buchholz's parents' home on the Northeast Side.

“We were so happy to see Scotty again,” Buchholz said.

She was at the home for about 15 minutes when Buchholz told Sanchez that he needed a copy of Scotty's birth certificate and Social Security card. The request seemed to “set her off,” Buchholz said.

“She grabbed the baby and just said, ‘I gotta go. I gotta go. I'm out of here.'”

His mother called 911, and a sheriff's deputy arrived to investigate the incident as a disturbance, court records show.

That night, while Buchholz was attending the Judas Priest concert, he received a cell phone call from Sanchez.

“She told me she had found someone else and she never wanted to see me again,” he said.

Police think she killed the baby six hours later.

The couple's volatile relationship was on and off for the past six years, ever since they met while enrolled in the San Antonio College of Medical and Dental Assistants, but they became dedicated to making it work after learning Sanchez was pregnant last year, relatives said.

“She took really good care of herself during the pregnancy,” said Buchholz, who also has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. “We were excited about having a baby.”

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/07/29/0729baby.html
TEXAS
Warning signs missed in baby killing case
Woman had been treated for depression before son's dismemberment.

By Michelle Roberts, Paul J. Weber
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Otty Sanchez

Scott W. Buchholz said he called 911 last weekend after his wife drove off with their child not secured in the car properly.

Scott Wesley Buchholz-Sanchez was 3½ weeks old when he was killed. His mother has been charged with capital murder.
AN ANTONIO — The warning signs were there. Otty Sanchez, a schizophrenic with a history of hospitalizations, wasn't taking medication and was depressed after her son's birth, the boy's father said. A simple request seemed to set her off, alarming him and his family.

Yet the 33-year-old woman was staying in a house where she had access to samurai swords. Child welfare officials were never called.

Sanchez's troubles became apparent to authorities only when they found her before dawn Sunday screaming that she had killed her baby, police said. Her 3½-week-old son, Scott Wesley Buchholz-Sanchez, was dismembered in a scene so gruesome that police were left shaken.

"Maybe we missed" warning signs, San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said. "I don't know."

On July 20, Sanchez was taken to the hospital for depression and released less than a day later, according to her husband, Scott W. Buchholz. Sanchez told him that she was schizophrenic and was going to live with her parents and sister.

Five days later, on Saturday, Sanchez brought "Baby Scotty" for a visit with her husband but stormed out after he asked for a copy of the birth certificate and other documents, Buchholz said.

Buchholz called 911 to report that Sanchez had driven away with the infant without properly restraining him in the car. The deputy took a report but could do little else, said Bexar County Chief Deputy Dale Bennett.

"If this guy had given us an indication that she had postpartum depression, or mental defects she was suffering from, we may have addressed it differently," Bennett said.

Buchholz said he may have told the deputy Sanchez was depressed, but he wasn't sure.

Buchholz, who is himself schizophrenic and takes six anti-psychotic and anti-convulsive medications, said that Sanchez had postpartum depression and had been going to regular counseling sessions after the birth but that she refused to take prescription medication for her depression.

Still, he said, she seemed fine.

"She seemed like a very caring, loving mother. She held him, she breast-fed him. She did everything for him that was nice," he said.

Sanchez remained hospitalized Tuesday recovering from self-inflicted cuts to her torso and an attempt to slice her own throat. The former health care worker is charged with capital murder and is being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

Authorities said Sanchez tried killing herself after dismembering her son with a steak knife and two swords while her sister and two nieces, ages 5 and 7, slept in another room.

Sanchez told police — who described a scene so horrifying that investigators could barely speak to one another — that the devil made her kill, mutilate and eat parts of her only child.

Buchholz, who met Sanchez six years ago while they were studying to be pharmacist assistants, said that his wife didn't appear unstable and that he wants prosecutors to pursue the death penalty.

"She killed my son. She should burn in hell," Buchholz, 33, told The Associated Press.

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 11:19:51 PM »

My heart is just numb by this .. I cannot even use a word to describe what I am feeling.

For this sweet innocent baby boy my heart weeps and so do my eyes .. past horrific, there is no sense to any of this. none. How could anyone ? why .. I am speechless.

God Bless You Scotty   an angelic monkey

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ogU48WZV8WQ&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;border=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ogU48WZV8WQ&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;border=1</a>

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
Pages: 1 2 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.