March 28, 2024, 04:36:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robert Manwill 8, missing 7/24/09 Boise, Idaho (BODY FOUND)  (Read 414476 times)
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #1540 on: August 19, 2009, 09:31:46 PM »

These 2 people are MONSTERS!!  I can't think of a punishment that is horrible enough  and still legal to do to either of these animals. 

I agree Sunny.....I agree. 

What the boyfreind did to Robert even once was bad enough, but it seems he did it a number of times  over time.   A slow and painful death.     And it just hurts me to know his OWN mother could have prevented it but she didn't.  She could have stopped it, but she didn't.  She could have gotten little Robert medical help but she didn't.       
Yes Ma'am Muffy. ITA with you. I think the mom let that baby (he was a tiny boy) die a slow and painful death by not getting him help. I hope she suffers for eternity. JMO JSM 

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1541 on: August 19, 2009, 09:52:48 PM »

Melissa Jenkins indictment:

http://www.ktvb.com/news/documents/Jenkins-indictment.pdf

Daniel Ehrlick indictment:

http://www.ktvb.com/news/documents/Ehrlick-indictment.pdf

There are too many monsters in this world 
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1542 on: August 19, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »

These 2 people are MONSTERS!!  I can't think of a punishment that is horrible enough  and still legal to do to either of these animals. 

What the boyfreind did to Robert even once was bad enough, but it seems he did it a number of times  over time.   A slow and painful death.     And it just hurts me to know his OWN mother could have prevented it but she didn't.  She could have stopped it, but she didn't.  She could have gotten little Robert medical help but she didn't.       
Yes Ma'am Muffy. ITA with you. I think the mom let that baby (he was a tiny boy) die a slow and painful death by not getting him help. I hope she suffers for eternity. JMO JSM 

I agree..this is just horrible what happened to Robert...I bet his bio father would like to beat the crap out of those 2 who did this to Robert! I want to and he wasn't even my child!...poor little guy..he did not deserve any of this..none of them ever deserve it..but for some reason, these "parents" and I use the term loosely..become judge, jury and executioner for these little innocents...grrrr...these 2 should go straight to death in my opinion...no appeals, nothing...save the money that the state would use for their care by putting them to death and give the money that the state would save to missing and exploited children or some other entity for children..

Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1543 on: August 19, 2009, 10:04:45 PM »

I agree..this is just horrible what happened to Robert...I bet his bio father would like to beat the crap out of those 2 who did this to Robert! I want to and he wasn't even my child!...poor little guy..he did not deserve any of this..none of them ever deserve it..but for some reason, these "parents" and I use the term loosely..become judge, jury and executioner for these little innocents...grrrr...these 2 should go straight to death in my opinion...no appeals, nothing...save the money that the state would use for their care by putting them to death and give the money that the state would save to missing and exploited children or some other entity for children..

I see no reason why, with vermin such as these two, they couldn't just each be given a cyanide pill and asked if they might just want to avoid a trial.  No, they are too cowardly.  That big man beating that little boy.  How brave.  I wonder what would happen if a man his size beat him upside the head.  Would he try to run? Probably.  And the so-called mother, aiding and abetting.  I would call them animals but that would be insulting to animals.  There are no words.......

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1544 on: August 19, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »

he stomped that little boy into the ground is what he did...he hit him until he fell then he kept on hitting him and stomping on him...prolonged means what it does....maybe not in the course of weeks...maybe a continual beating that started that day and ended when Robert died.  and the fact that the woman undeserving of the title 'mother' stood by and joined in, allowed it, or did nothing to stop it (the end result is always the same) let this "man" do this to her son sickens me.  i hope they both get the dp!

OMG  thats soooo Anthony.  (credits to miss Mae)
Jerseygirl345
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1545 on: August 19, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »

I see no reason why, with vermin such as these two, they couldn't just each be given a cyanide pill and asked if they might just want to avoid a trial.  No, they are too cowardly.  That big man beating that little boy.  How brave.  I wonder what would happen if a man his size beat him upside the head.  Would he try to run? Probably.  And the so-called mother, aiding and abetting.  I would call them animals but that would be insulting to animals.  There are no words.......

I have 2 words... Pure Evil... How can a grow man beat this innocent child and this vicious illiterate monster let it happen....     I cried.. I prayed Robert did not suffer.. The judges and DCF need to protect the children and stop catering to the monsters of society.  Our children need to be protected and need to come first before anyone..
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #1546 on: August 19, 2009, 10:30:08 PM »

OMG Klaas, I hadn't read the indictments. Thank you for posting them. The word "sadistically" through me for a loop and is doing my head in.

I hate to be gruesome, but Danny probably was pizzed, smacked Robert's head into the wall, then brutally kicked him while he was dying on the floor. OMG, I don't want to think of this anymore. Sorry to be gruesome again monkeys.

I blame the judge for making this child go to these two monsters house after the other baby was smashed in the skull. I think Idaho needs to do a little house cleaning of their CPS/DPS/DFS or WTH they call their PROTECTION services for children. JMO JSM

I will shut up now. Sorry.  Back to lurking now.

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1547 on: August 19, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »

Did no one know who came around the house what was going on ?
If anyone had reported this or took the boy away so he could tell his real dad, this might not have happened. She didn't have custody of him, he was just visiting. I am thinking of Grandpa.
These two poor excuses for humans will blame each other for the beatings.
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #1548 on: August 19, 2009, 11:54:45 PM »

Lighting a candle for Robert and saying a prayer for his family.
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=rob%20m

Bringing forward. 

Thanks Pink, I just love this beautiful picture of Robert. You can see he still had those innocent beautiful baby features! How could anyone have hurt this little fellow????

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1549 on: August 20, 2009, 01:37:16 AM »

What a horrible fate this poor little boy faced. His mother should be stoned for allowing this to happen to her son and the boyfriend should be left alone for a day or 2 with to very large inmates. I simple shot in the arm is not fair for these two.

Prayers are being sent up to heaven little boy. I pray you are happily playing in the protection of angels.
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1550 on: August 20, 2009, 04:20:34 AM »

First-degree murder: Robert Manwill's mom and her boyfriend are indicted in the 8-year-old's death

BY KATY MOELLER AND KATHLEEN KRELLER
Copyright: © 2009 Idaho Statesman
Published: 08/19/09

He had dreams of being a wildland firefighter but faced drug and legal problems and managed to battle the flames only as part of a prison work crew.

She was something of a rambler, drifting through relationships - having three children with three men in less than seven years - on the hunt for the unconditional love she felt as a little girl.

Daniel Ehrlick Jr. and Melissa Jenkins met at a poker game and quickly grew close, spending weeks together in her hospital room as she dealt with complications of her third pregnancy.

They rallied together to get that infant back from state protection after Jenkins was convicted of injuring him.

Now, they're together again - in the Ada County Jail, both facing murder charges after the disappearance and death of 8-year-old Robert Manwill, whose smile captured the community in a 10-day search that started with hope and ended in tragedy.

EHRLICK JR.'S STORY

For Ehrlick Jr. - Danny to his friends and family - trouble with the law started early.

His first run-in involved a stolen United Parcel Service box full of sunglasses, said his father, Daniel Ehrlick Sr. The boy was in junior high.

"That cost his mother and I quite a bit," Ehrlick Sr. said. "He was always picking up the wrong people to run around with."

Born in Mineral County, Nev., along with his older sister and two younger brothers, Ehrlick Jr. later moved with his family to Idaho, where he attended Nampa High School and played basketball. He didn't graduate, but he got his GED in prison, his father said.

"Danny was a troubled boy all his life," Ehrlick Sr. said. "He would get in trouble doing stupid things. ... Then he has had a lot of problems with drugs."

Now 36, he has spent nearly seven years, off and on, in Idaho correctional facilities and at least 10 years on probation in Idaho and Washington. He has been convicted of burglary, battery, possession of drug paraphernalia and more.

His father and niece said Ehrlick Jr. had worked fighting fires, but he has no work history with the state or the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.

Ehrlick Jr. did work on an inmate fire crew while incarcerated, said Idaho Department of Correction spokesman Jeff Ray.

"It's pretty good duty," Ray said. "You are outdoors and working hard, and you are making more money than you would in a typical institutional job."

Few people could be found to talk about Ehrlick Jr. He has never been married and has no records of having children with other women.

JENKINS' STORY

Melissa Jenkins spent years searching for the love and stability that had eluded her since she was "daddy's girl," the middle of three girls in her family, her family members say.

"I think, all in all, Melissa was after a quiet and tender life," said Meridian resident Margo Maxwell, Jenkins' great-aunt and one of the first family members to come to her aid when Robert was reported missing July 24.

Jenkins' Facebook page says she's a 1997 graduate of Meridian High School, but the district has no record of that. Boise School District records show she entered sixth grade at Koelsch Elementary and finished seventh grade at Fairmont Junior High. The district has no further record of her.

She has worked short stints in numerous clerical and manufacturing jobs - including at the Idaho Statesman's call center, the Boise Bingo Center, Scentsy and, most recently, Blackhawk Manufacturing.

Jenkins drifted in and out of contact with most of her family, including her parents, Dori and Jeff Jenkins, who now live in New Mexico. Of the three sisters, Jenkins was older than Daphney and a year younger than Trish Burrill, a Boise resident who has acted as the family's spokeswoman at police news conferences about Robert's disappearances.

Tammy Smith, best friends with Trish for a time in high school, recalled that at some point when they were teens, Trish either moved out or was kicked out. Jenkins wasn't far behind.

The sisters, who seemed to stand by each other during the news conferences, have not always gotten along.

Family members say that before the boy disappeared, Burrill had not seen Jenkins and Robert in about 18 months. A court affidavit filed by Robert's father indicates that Burrill would not take the boy in while Jenkins was hospitalized for a few weeks in 2008. (Burrill and her husband, Kyle, did not agree to interviews.)

When Jenkins met Robert's father, Charles Manwill, he was dating Trish. He and Jenkins' second cousin, Justin Smith, were buddies and roommates. Manwill was nine years older than Jenkins.

In 2000, when Jenkins was in her early 20s, she got pregnant with Manwill's child, and Robert was born in June 2001. Jenkins and Manwill were married in July, but they separated less than a year later.

Jenkins met her second husband, Frank Seiber, at a Nampa bingo parlor where they both worked. He was 27 years her senior, an age difference that bothered some of her family and friends. The pair married in 2003.

Seiber said he helped care for Robert while Jenkins was at work.

"He was like a son," Seiber said. "When I think about him, all I can see is that smile. This has been really hard."

The skeptics, though, were right about the marriage.

"She was dating other men, and I didn't know it for a while. ... I guess love has a blind eye," Seiber said, sitting on the porch of his Payette home.

They divorced in March 2006. Eight months later, Jenkins gave birth to a baby girl, RayLynn.

The father was Russell "Rusty" Ames, a truck driver and a high school friend of Jenkins' mother who began dating Jenkins after running into her at her folks' house one day.

"I've known Melissa her whole life," said Ames, now 49.

He said he's still a friend of Dori Jenkins' and said there's been a lot of family conflict over the years, particularly between the mother and her daughters.

"If one's not fighting with the other, then the other two are," he said. "You've got to be hating, or nobody's happy."

Ames said his relationship with Jenkins ran its course in a matter of months. Like Seiber, Ames felt she wasn't honest with him.

"Everything that comes out of her mouth is a lie," he said.

A VALENTINE'S DAY LIFE-CHANGER

Sometime around when Ehrlick Jr. and Jenkins met in 2007, she discovered she was pregnant.

She was trying to end a relationship that she told Manwill and others was abusive, friends and court documents said. In January 2008, complications with her pregnancy left her hospitalized for weeks.

Ehrlick Jr. was with her every day, Ehrlick Sr. said. He "practically lived in that hospital room" with her, Ames said.

The baby boy, who was named Aidan, was born on Feb. 14, 2008. He wasn't Ehrlick Jr.'s child - according to Ames and other family members and friends. (Idaho birth certificates aren't public records for 100 years, and neither Jenkins nor Ehrlick would agree to an interview for this story.)

It's unknown whether Ehrlick Jr. knew all along or found out later, but every one of his family, friends and neighbors interviewed said the same thing: He treated that baby boy as his own.

Aidan was given Ehrlick's name, and Ehrlick Jr. is acknowledged in court documents as the father.

"When he met (Jenkins), he did a 180-degree turn in his life - to the best," Ehrlick Sr. said. "After the baby was born, it got a lot better. He got more honest with me. ... He was more adult."

A NEW ROLE: DAD

Outwardly, to many neighbors, family and friends, Ehrlick and Jenkins seemed like good parents - even after Jenkins pleaded guilty to fracturing her infant's skull in October 2008.

In interviews days before the two were arrested Tuesday night, several of the couple's closest neighbors at the Oak Park Village apartments praised Ehrlick as an easy-going "Mr. Mom," the one who always carried the baby and diaper bag.

"He was very good with the baby," said Sean Buffington, who lives upstairs from the couple.

"He made sure that baby had clean clothes," Ehrlick Sr. said. "He made sure that baby had food. He made sure the baby had diapers. He would not leave that boy more than two or three minutes because he'd worry about him."

Ehrlick Jr. would get "worked up" over a runny nose and make his father wash his hands before holding Aidan.

The son still relied on his father for financial support; Ehrlick Sr. gave them a car and a deposit for the apartment they shared and often handed over cash for rent, food, diapers, cigarettes and utility bills.

Still, Ehrlick Sr. said Aidan's presence inspired changes in his son. Instead of hanging out with his old cronies, Sundays meant barbecues and family gatherings at Ehrlick Sr.'s home near Bannock and 30th streets.

For big get-togethers, the family would bring Ehrlick Sr.'s wife and the kids' mother, Barbara, home from the care facility where she has lived since suffering strokes.

Justin Smith, Jenkins' cousin who lived with her family for a while and was "basically their adopted kid," said he never met Ehrlick Jr., but that he was called on two occasions when Jenkins and Ehrlick Jr. were fighting.

"When I showed up, I didn't see any signs," said Smith, who said he went to the apartment with Trish's husband, Kyle Burrill.

When the men offered to call the police, Jenkins turned them away.

A STRICT MOTHER

Jenkins worked while Ehrlick Jr. stayed home with Aidan and Robert, when the boy visited from his father's home in New Plymouth.

Carol Carrillo, another upstairs neighbor who became close friends with Jenkins, said she trusted them both with her children. She said the couple worked hard to get Aidan back after Jenkins was convicted of injuring him.

She said Jenkins was very concerned for the safety of both of their kids. Carrillo remembers Jenkins getting on someone's case when they tried to pick up Carrillo's kids with a car that didn't have enough seatbelts for all the children.

Carrillo said Jenkins was strict with Robert. The boy wasn't allowed to go beyond the playground behind their apartment building - if he did, he got grounded. He wouldn't go into Carrillo's apartment without first asking his mother's permission.

"I never saw them be mean to the kids," said her 12-year-old daughter, Jennifer. "I went to their house all the time."

But others described Jenkins as moody and quick to anger when children misbehaved.

"Melissa was mean to kids - they wore on her patience," said Seiber, her second husband.

If Jenkins was in a bad mood, Seiber said, he would just take Robert outside and play with him "until she calmed down." But Seiber said he never saw Melissa Jenkins be violent or hit Robert.

"There was times she'd smack Robert in the back of the head to get his attention - a gentle slap in the head. Like, 'Hey, pay attention to me, do what you're told,' " Ames said.

When Robert acted out, several people said, Jenkins sometimes forced him to sit on his hands or stand with his nose against the wall with his hands behind his back in a military stance. Jenkins also was known to punish her children and others in her care with cold showers.

Robert always seemed to be on "restriction," Ehrlick Sr. said.

"He would ask her for a glass of water," said Robbyn Ehrlick, Ehrlick Jr.'s 23-year-old niece. "She would say 'Go away, you are annoying me.' "

Ehrlick Sr. said he saw Jenkins once pick up her toddler daughter by one arm and "whip" her across her bottom.

"When I said something about it, she said 'it didn't hurt her because she was wearing a Pamper,' " Ehrlick Sr. said.

Buffington said he saw a hint of Robert's fear about getting in trouble when his dog got loose one day. Sadie, a pit bull, wiggled out of her collar and ran down the stairs, where Buffington caught her.

He was surprised when he looked up at Robert, who began shaking and crying.

"He said, 'Mom's going to be so mad ... I can't lose the dog,' " Buffington said.

AFTER ROBERT'S DISAPPEARANCE

When Maxwell, Jenkins' great-aunt, brought Trish Burrill to the Oak Park apartment early on the Sunday after Robert was reported missing, the sisters cried and hugged.

"They were sweet and kind to each other, as you'd expect sisters to be in a crisis like this," Maxwell said. "As soon as Trish left, Melissa took the attitude that she didn't want to be around Trish. Melissa clung to me and my girls."

"That created a rift," Maxwell said.

Shirley Earls, Maxwell's daughter, rallied members at two local LDS churches to help with the search. She noticed that Robert's dad, Charles Manwill, was "focused" and "very military," while Ehrlick was "a mess," "a complete puddle."

"Melissa was in between," she said.

On Tuesday, when Maxwell returned to Oak Park to help, she said Jenkins appeared medicated and calm. She was ready to pursue every lead to find the boy.

"Danny was sobbing uncontrollably," Maxwell said. "He greeted me at the door and soaked my shirt with his tears.

"I said, 'Danny, are you getting any medical attention?' He said he didn't have any money."

Maxwell took him to a doctor's office, and he was prescribed medications. In the car, she said, he seemed "very, very sorrowful."

But by the next night, Maxwell said, it seemed, Ehrlick and Jenkins weren't comforting each other or even speaking.

"Danny was just walking the streets and didn't know where to go. He said he didn't know where to go or what to do," Maxwell said.

Ultimately, he went to stay with his father, Ehrlick Sr. said. Jenkins had been staying, off and on, with her sister, Trish, Kyle Burrill said.

An Oak Park Village neighbor said Jenkins' family came to retrieve her things from their apartment on Sunday, after Robert's funeral. Ehrlick Jr.'s belongings are still there.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/localnews/story/869934.html

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1551 on: August 20, 2009, 04:34:00 AM »

Indictments of Melissa Jenkins and Daniel Ehrlick Jr. fill searchers with disappointment

BY SANDRA FORESTER - sforester@idahostatesman.com
Published: 08/20/09

STANDING IN SUPPORT

Nikki and Steve Adams, who planned nightly vigils while the 8-year-old was missing, say they are still behind Robert's mother, Melissa Jenkins, 100 percent.

"We're there to support Melissa, and we're also going to support the family," Nikki Adams said. "We're going to let the justice system take its course. They'll have the facts and prove the proof."

Nikki Adams said it's hard for her to believe that Jenkins could be willingly involved.

"I don't see it," she said. "We're sad. We're disappointed that it comes to this."

'SICK AND SAD'

Carol Peterson lives down the street from the complex where Jenkins lives. She attended the nightly vigils.

"We're all really sick," Peterson said. "I'm a mother, a grandmother and a great-grandmother. Your child is the one you need to protect. And I think that Melissa, she should have at least sent that child back to Charles (Manwill, his father). The first time (Daniel Ehrlick Jr.) laid a hand on that child she should have sent him back."

Peterson said if Ehrlick was physically abusive toward Jenkins, she could have sought help.

"Everybody here would have helped her," Peterson said. "This is a wonderful neighborhood. I've lived here 44 years; we've never had anything like this happen in this neighborhood.

"I'm sick and sad. She should be charged with exactly what she was charged with."

A CALL TO AWARENESS

John Oliva, a Mountain Home teacher formerly of Ontario, drove to Boise to help with the search for Robert.

"I was glad that there was some conclusion, (but) highly, highly disappointed. It's so unfortunate that something like this could happen. It was kind of just overwhelming.

" ... The amount of trauma the boy endured prior to death must be horrific.

"As a teacher, it forces me to be more aware of students who are struggling and sensitive to kids having a difficult time."

ANGRY AFTER HELPING OUT

Sarah Ledford, a mom and Realtor from Caldwell, joined all three July 31 searches to help find Robert because, "we needed to find the kid so justice can be done."

"I'm furious," she said Wednesday. "We knew he was dead."

Ledford said the death penalty would be an easy way out for the people responsible.

"We could not do to them what I would like to see done to them," Ledford said. "I don't know how a mother could get up there the whole time, get 15 minutes of fame, and know where her son is the whole time" - if the charges are proven.

Ledford said she doesn't like hearing about these situations in the news, but "there's no way to not watch it and not know what was going on. I can't even imagine it. It's just not conceivable."

'I CAN'T FATHOM IT'

New Plymouth Mayor Joe Cook brought a group of residents down from Robert's hometown on July 31 to search, and he spoke at the boy's funeral.

"I'm disappointed that these folks didn't step forward," he said.

Cook said he's relieved that there likely isn't a stranger randomly snatching children, but the events that likely ended Robert's life show a dark side in a family history that wasn't well known.

"How did this boy end up back in that environment? I can't in my wildest dream think of what a little kid could do to push you to that extreme, unless you're evil. To me, I can't fathom it. This whole thing is beyond sad. ... As a parent, it just drives you crazy."

Cook and others said they respect and are grateful for the work of police on the case.

"This is a tough situation," Cook said. "There was tremendous pressure on the police department."
http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/871174.html

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1552 on: August 20, 2009, 04:51:09 AM »

Answers to some of the community's questions about the Robert Manwill case

- Idaho Statesman
Reported and written by Kathleen Kreller, Katy Moeller, Patrick Orr and Anna Webb.

When did Robert Manwill die?

Ada County Coroner Earl Sonnenberg said the evidence matches the July 24 day on which the boy was reported missing, but he would not give a specific date of death. The indictments say Robert was killed "on or about" that day. Sonnenberg would not say whether the child was dead before he was left in the canal where his body was found.

Where is Charles Manwill?

Manwill - known as "Chuck" - is on leave from his job with the Idaho National Guard, according to Guard spokesman Tim Marsano.

Manwill is one of about 1,000 full-time employees at the Idaho National Guard in Boise and has worked at Gowen Field since 2001. He teaches soldiers techniques on military reconnaissance.

"We're not only keeping him in our thoughts, we've been in regular contact with him," Marsano said. "We have several of his colleagues as well as chaplains, counselors and others who are offering assistance. ... We're a pretty tightly knit community out here, and he's one of us."

Many Guard members were present at Robert's funeral.

Manwill was not at his home Wednesday, according to a family member at the rural Payette County residence. He's "hurting" and needs some time alone, the family member said. Manwill's sister, Dorothy Aydelotte, said she's still processing all the information that's come out about Robert's death, and she had no comment.

Why was Robert visiting his mother when she didn't have full custody?

Robert Manwill visited his mother for seven weeks each summer, in addition to certain weekends and holidays, according to a 2008 custody agreement between his parents. Charles Manwill and Melissa Jenkins shared custody of the 8-year-old, but Manwill retained primary custody as of July 2008.

According to the custody agreement, Robert was supposed to visit his mother for four weeks, go home to his father for a week and then back to his mother for the remaining three weeks.

Ehrlick's father, Daniel Ehrlick Sr., said he believed Jenkins' visitation with Robert had been suspended when she lost custody of her infant, Aidan, in October last year when she was charged with injury to a child. He said she had since regained custody of the baby, and Robert's visitation was restored.

How are family members reacting to Ehrlick's and Jenkins' arrest and indictment?

Daniel Ehrlick Sr. said he will no longer speak to his son.

"All I care about now is Robert. Rest in peace," said Ehrlick Sr., who didn't attend Wednesday's court hearing. "They are going to pay for it every day for the rest of their lives. This boy had no chance in this world."

Melissa Jenkins' sister Trish Burrill and her husband, Kyle Burrill, declined to comment when approached after the hearing.

If what the indictment says is true, what explains the psychology of two people who grieved publicly, asked for help and attended searches and vigils while knowing the truth?

Thomas Young, a medical doctor and director of operations at The Children's Home Society of Idaho, said the couple's actions, if true, could have more to do with criminal intent than psychology.

"If I'm a criminal, I can't run away, which would make me instantly guilty, I'm going to try to blend in with the crowd," Young said. "Once they colluded, they were equally guilty under the law. They probably had to sit and discuss what they were going to do about it."

A public display of anything other than emotion and pain would have been an instant indictment, Young said.

"These people just have a perverse moral compass and were protecting themselves. They saw playing dumb as their only escape. It's almost adolescent thinking. You spill something, your mom comes in and asks who did it. You say, 'I don't know,' even if you were the only one in the house."

Who testified against Ehrlick and Jenkins in front of the grand jury?

Prosecutors called 10 witnesses against Ehrlick, including a Kuna firefighter who helped retrieve Robert's body from the New York Canal, a crime scene specialist for the Boise Police Department, Robert's father, Ada County's pathologist Glen Groben, Boise Police Department detectives and a social worker from Taft Elementary School in Boise.

Just two people were called to testify against Jenkins: a staff member of the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare and a member of the Boise Police Department.

Will Ada County prosecutors seek the death penalty for either Ehrlick or Jenkins?

They have 60 days to decide, and Ada County Prosecutor Greg Bower said much of the decision will depend on what kind of mitigating evidence defense attorneys provide to prosecutors as they swap discovery on the case.

It's the prosecutor's job to determine whether the aggravating factors exist for a jury to sentence someone to death, like if the killing was heinously cruel, the defendant has a propensity to commit murder, or the killer showed an utter disregard for human life.

It's up to defense attorneys to find the mitigating factors a jury might consider to spare a life, like if the defendant suffers from mental illness or was a victim of child abuse themselves.

Could an Ada County jury spare the life of a child killer?

It happened in 2004 when a jury spared the life of Ignacio Sanchez, despite evidence that he beat a 2-year-old girl in his care over a period of two weeks, causing her death in December 2003. Prosecutors wanted the death penalty for Sanchez, but the jury spared his life after hearing mitigating evidence that Sanchez was abused as a child, was afflicted with depression and attention deficit disorder, and had been a methamphetamine user since he was 12. He is serving a sentence of fixed life for first-degree murder.

Who is the lead prosecutor?

Ada County Deputy Prosecutor Jill Longhurst, with assistance from Deputy Prosecutor Daniel Dinger. Longhurst is an experienced prosecutor who has been the lead counsel on six first-degree murder cases since 2000, including those of Raymond Ortiz III, Anthony Shaw and Ignacio Sanchez - in each, children were beaten to death. All three of those men are serving life prison sentences.

Who is representing Ehrlick and Jenkins?

Both said in court Monday they could not afford private counsel, so they will be represented by attorneys with the Ada County public defender's office. At least one will be represented by Amil Myshin, who has been counsel or co-counsel on more than 30 first-degree murder cases over the past two decades. He is also certified to represent defendants in a death penalty case, if Ada County prosecutors decide to go that route.

Myshin, who spoke for Ehrlick Wednesday, has represented convicted killers Erick Hall, Darrell Payne and John Delling in recent years.

Tony Geddes, another Ada County public defender, represented Jenkins Wednesday, but he won't work the case as a lead counsel. The public defender's office will likely hire an outside attorney, called "conflict counsel," to represent whoever doesn't get Myshin, to avoid conflict between defendants. That is standard practice in murder cases with multiple defendants.

Is it possible for an impartial jury to be selected in Ada County for a case so well-known?

That depends on whom you talk to.

Boise defense attorney D.C. Carr thinks it would be difficult, considering the publicity and the raw emotion much of the community seems to be feeling over the case.

"With this situation, with the small child as such a sympathetic victim, I think they are going to have a really hard time finding a fair and impartial jury," said Carr, who used to work for the Ada County public defender's office. "There have been stories every day, and that has led to a lot of fingerpointing at (Jenkins and Ehrlick on blogs and Web sites) even before they were arrested. There is so much emotion surrounding this case."

But Boise defense attorney David Leroy, a former Idaho attorney general, said he believes it is possible to pick a local jury, especially since huge groups of potential jurors can be sorted out for prejudice against either side by asking them to fill out questionnaires prior to actual jury selection.

He said he has faith that many people in Ada County who know about the case are capable of forming opinions based strictly on evidence.

How can the community channel the energy this case has created to better the lives of Idaho children?

Nicole Sirak, director of the Court Appointed Special Advocate program, said representatives from several local child welfare organizations - including Health and Welfare, St. Luke's Prenatal Care, and Idaho Voices for Children - met Tuesday to talk about new ways they might come together to create a community "web" around Idaho children.

The Manwill case, and the unanswered questions about how Robert, a child who did have caring adults in his life but still obviously need attention from the safety net, was the inspiration for the meeting.

The timing, on the day Robert's mother and her boyfriend were arrested for his murder, was coincidental.

Talks are just starting, but it's clear to Sirak that it's time to tap into community sentiment now. Since the Manwill events, she's been fielding calls from people who want to help local children but don't know how. Some have already made memorial donations to CASA in Robert's name.

"We're good at collaboration here in Idaho. Remember, the Idaho Human Rights Memorial (now an educational park) was supposed to be a simple plaque on the Greenbelt."
http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/871178.html

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1553 on: August 20, 2009, 05:04:12 AM »

Daniel Ehrlick Jr. accused of repeated acts of blunt-force trauma, Melissa Jenkins accused of hiding her son Robert Manwill from authorities
BY PATRICK ORR KATHLEEN KRELLER - porr@idahostatesman.com kkreller@idahostatesman.com

Eight-year-old Robert Manwill was beaten over weeks of "escalating physical violence" that finally climaxed in his death, according to details released Wednesday in the indictments of his mom and her boyfriend.

Ada County Coroner Erwin Sonnenberg said the boy died from blunt force trauma "on or about" the July 24 night he was reported missing.

State officials won't say how Robert and his 16-month-old half brother Aidan were allowed back in the home with their mother, Melissa Jenkins, who just months earlier had pleaded guilty to fracturing Aidan's skull.

Health and Welfare officials won't release details on any child protection cases in the home. Custody documents for Robert show that Melissa Jenkins had the right to see her son seven weeks each summer.

Two short but shocking indictments filed against Jenkins and her boyfriend, Daniel Ehrlick Jr., offer the most detailed glimpse of what police and prosecutors say happened. A grand jury contends that violence against the boy started as early as June.

It's unclear whether Robert was staying the whole time in the Oak Park Village apartment his mother and her boyfriend shared; neither police nor family members are saying.

But the indictments indicate that state officials may have been monitoring the family. According to the grand jury, Jenkins "did actively and repeatedly hide (Robert) from government authorities" and kept "other persons from observing the ongoing harm."

The indictments - charging both Jenkins and Ehrlick with first-degree murder and failure to report a death - were graphic.

The grand jury said Ehrlick repeatedly abused Robert and eventually killed the boy by the "intentional application of torture ... by inflicting extreme or prolonged pain with the intent to cause suffering, to execute vengeance, or to satisfy some sadistic inclination, by inflicting repeated acts of blunt force trauma to the abdomen and/or head of Robert Manwill."

Many of the terms used in the indictment were taken directly from Idaho's law on first-degree murder. Officials haven't released any specific details of how the abuse played out.

The indictment against Robert's mother, though, said she "had active knowledge of Robert's bodily injuries, visible bruises and other physical and emotional harm." The indictment says she not only failed to protect or seek medical attention for Robert, but she kept his abuse from others.

It says she continued to leave Robert with Ehrlick despite the knowledge that he was "inflicting repeated acts of physical violence" on the boy; and that she lied to police about Robert's whereabouts after she knew he was dead.

Now, the community is clamoring for answers about how this could have happened.

Health and Welfare Director Richard Armstrong said Wednesday that the law prohibits his department from releasing information on Robert's case - even now that the boy is dead.

The department has performed an internal review and is satisfied,
Armstrong said. Any further information will come from the Ada County Prosecutors' Office during court proceedings, he said.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/eyepiece/story/871177.html

::MonkeyMad::Satisfied? Are you kidding me? Again, no words.
God bless you little man.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1554 on: August 20, 2009, 08:19:03 AM »

Ah... yes indeed..... I said not long ago in a different thread that Monsters ARE real ... they live among us. 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
melisb
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1555 on: August 20, 2009, 09:05:31 AM »

Amen Nut.  When I think of what this child is feeling, saying, screaming in pain, begging for his life, for his egg donor to help, asking why...oh Dear God make all these horrors in my head go away.  How could she allow this?  I want a locked room and a good half hour to show her exactly what that Angel suffered.  I'll take more than a half hour if I can just to 'prolong' it.  Forgive me, please, I don't always see the "he is in a better place now" side of it. Yes, I know he's in Heaven now but my head and heart drags me through what these poor children are thinking at the moment.  That is hard to swallow.  If any of you reading this have her children please love them extra special, they need it and probably professional help too.  I only hope she's in gen. pop. before her trial so we don't have to waste the money having one!  I know, I know, back in my corner.  I'm going.
mamacrazy30
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1556 on: August 20, 2009, 09:27:46 AM »

Hear the detailed indictment Because Melissa is illiterate,

Jenkins' Facebook page says

do what?  she's illiterate but has a Facebook page? 

OMG  thats soooo Anthony.  (credits to miss Mae)
cartfly
Monkey Junky

Thanks Brandi!

« Reply #1557 on: August 20, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »

She is a selfish manipulator. That is what evil is, pure manipulation. I have no remorse for this woman period. "Illiterate" my arse....I imagine the judge who allowed her to have the baby back will be lining up to hear her case. I think that judge should be exposed for being such a dumb arse.
Sorry for the rant, I just, like many of us here, are angry that everyone failed these children. The worse part of it, I feel so helpless. What can we do to stop this?

My angels on earth, the Shriners-every thing they do is for the children and they never ask for anything in return. What a concept.....
http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/
cherjers
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1558 on: August 20, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »

good morning monkeys -it seems  to me some family members should have notice how Robert was being treated.  That poor boy -did he not feel he could go to his bio father or aunt someone and tell them.  I know if it were one of my grand children-they would tell me.  They would say so and so always hits me.  My mom makes me take cold showers when I am bad.  Sorry if I am hard on the extened family-but someone should have know what was going on. 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1559 on: August 20, 2009, 11:55:56 AM »

She is a selfish manipulator. That is what evil is, pure manipulation. I have no remorse for this woman period. "Illiterate" my arse....I imagine the judge who allowed her to have the baby back will be lining up to hear her case. I think that judge should be exposed for being such a dumb arse.
Sorry for the rant, I just, like many of us here, are angry that everyone failed these children. The worse part of it, I feel so helpless. What can we do to stop this?

I don't know, really don't, I've been thinking about all of these senseless, horrific crimes. Is there anything that the people in Idaho might be able to do, to perhaps recall the judge that gave Melissa a slap on the wrist in the first place. I'm sure nothing will happen to the judge, I can only hope the judge's conscience doesn't stop haunting. Did nobody see this little child's bruises in the neighborhood? Robert was out playing on the swings that evening, he was probably afraid to say anything. Another haunting case, but this one could have been avoided    Thanks to all that have posted articles 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.