March 19, 2024, 04:46:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #49 8/11/09 - 8/23/09  (Read 438902 times)
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #760 on: August 14, 2009, 04:36:09 PM »

Sorry, I tripped over the couch & quoted twice.   

You can type and walk???    

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #761 on: August 14, 2009, 04:42:58 PM »

Well I am off to my dad's for the weekend...he lives on a lake in Michigan and I have invited up some friends.  There is going to be 20 adults 12 kids under the age of 11 and 2 dogs!  I have no kids...one of the dogs is mine...I'm giong to stop and Walmart and see if I can buy some patience    

Hopefully I come back in one piece between the boating activities, jet skiis & alcoholic beverages! But you can prepare the "sore as heck" monkey for my return    

Have a safe & lovely weekend Monkeys   an angelic monkey 

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #762 on: August 14, 2009, 04:50:40 PM »

I guess I can see the issue - but sometimes I think people are toooooooo sensitive.  But, I want one just cause I think they are cute as can be!!!!!!! 
http://www.huliq.com/3257/84913/controversial-lil-monkey-doll-removed-costco

What do you guys think?  They are so us (SM"S) our dolls or offensive?

I had to really think on this one.... it could be looked at as racist since the term 'monkey' has been used to describe people of color in a derogatory manner. If the doll were Caucasian there would be no controversy. I wouldn't want it to be SM's mascot. I would prefer a little monkey, monkey doll!  JMO

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #763 on: August 14, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »

Well I am off to my dad's for the weekend...he lives on a lake in Michigan and I have invited up some friends.  There is going to be 20 adults 12 kids under the age of 11 and 2 dogs!  I have no kids...one of the dogs is mine...I'm giong to stop and Walmart and see if I can buy some patience    

Hopefully I come back in one piece between the boating activities, jet skiis & alcoholic beverages! But you can prepare the "sore as heck" monkey for my return    

Sounds like fun!  Have a wonderful weekend!  Got the heat rub waiting for you!!

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #764 on: August 14, 2009, 05:03:59 PM »

I guess I can see the issue - but sometimes I think people are toooooooo sensitive.  But, I want one just cause I think they are cute as can be!!!!!!! 

Offensive! 

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #765 on: August 14, 2009, 05:13:09 PM »

Have a great weekend Leroy 
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #766 on: August 14, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »

Have fun Leroy.   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #767 on: August 14, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »

DON'T MISS DANA PRETZER TONIGHT!  AT 9PM ET!

A_News_Junkie_Monkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #768 on: August 14, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »

I had to really think on this one.... it could be looked at as racist since the term 'monkey' has been used to describe people of color in a derogatory manner. If the doll were Caucasian there would be no controversy. I wouldn't want it to be SM's mascot. I would prefer a little monkey, monkey doll!  JMO

You know the funny thing is, like many dolls it came in Caucasian, African American and Hispanic.  I do understand those deep wounds, but seems it was not intended that way, and even Costco bought it as an exclusive for their stores - seems it would have had to not offended a lot of eyes to get to the shelves, right?  I bet someone has been fired for this.  From what I have seen (HLN ran story today) that would be sad. 
It is sad also that the wounds of racism are still open and hurting in 2009.

I do think our toy line would sell good though...   
Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #769 on: August 14, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »

...Well, here I am...I was invited by Mytime last night to join in, and....no one is here! And I had to fight with my daughter for my cord to get here.. 

Oh well...I'll come back later I guess..   

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #770 on: August 14, 2009, 08:58:12 PM »

DON'T MISS DANA PRETZER TONIGHT!  AT 9PM ET!

Show starts in about 4 minutes.  Click on the link below:

http://scaredmonkeysradio.com/radio.m3u
A_News_Junkie_Monkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #771 on: August 14, 2009, 09:25:24 PM »

...Well, here I am...I was invited by Mytime last night to join in, and....no one is here! And I had to fight with my daughter for my cord to get here.. 

Hey Gizzie - sorry I missed you.  Keep trying, when a group of us get in here, it can be a hoot!!!!
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #772 on: August 14, 2009, 09:42:27 PM »

Gizzie I am sorry no one was hear...I was reading some material a friend sent me.

Rest in Peace Caylee

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #773 on: August 14, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »

Mytime...are you in the rafters!!

Rest in Peace Caylee

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #774 on: August 14, 2009, 11:10:53 PM »

Calling Out the Muse Crew

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4wZ3ZG_Wams&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01&amp;border=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4wZ3ZG_Wams&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xe1600f&amp;color2=0xfebd01&amp;border=1</a>

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #775 on: August 14, 2009, 11:37:09 PM »

WOW - well I looked and I read the article .. 
I think that the words " Lil Monkey" put upon the hat of a " Black or Dark Skinned Baby doll" would be very offensive to many. Why because for one its very difficult to find a Dark skinned baby doll period on any shelf - and then for them to put the words "Lil Monkey" on the hat of that doll ( as cute as she is) is offensive. To me anyway it is. I would think if I saw it first hand within a toy store or even a place like Costco - I would find it offensive. The doll is sweet and cute. But the verbage Yes - is offensive. Even if I saw it on a White or Asian Doll - Lil Monkey is just not appropriate.  I am thinking these dolls were made in China and they simply do not understand the stigma of the words Lil Monkey.
I think too since it is upon the baby dolls head - its even more so offensive. If the baby doll was wearing a bib and had a Monkey emblem on it and said " Lil Monkey" that would be totally acceptable. But basically what they are doing by Labeling the Dolls Head/hat as the doll is a little Monkey -and then putting it on a dark skinned doll - that is not right. Not right.  I would be offended if I was a black person. For all the years that little girls have had to except a blond haired blue eyed baby doll  - and have never had the option to have one that is of any other hair/eye color - that is racist too as far as I am thinking. 
I remember when I was little all my dolls were of the same - Blond blue eyed and I had no identification to them at all.  None. I remember the doll " I am sure Monkeys will remember her" she had a Head as big as a Cabbage - you pulled a string and her eye color would change.  Or the Crissy doll. She was tall and had Dark Auburn Hair and you could twist a button on her back and make her hair grow - Holy crap she has her own link.
http://collectdolls.about.com/od/dollprofiles/p/crissydoll.htm
Go Crissy 

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
mytime
Monkey All Star

« Reply #776 on: August 14, 2009, 11:46:27 PM »

Mytime...are you in the rafters!!

I am here but I really am not!   

I have been in a reading mood and have been reading about Christine Sheddy!  I also have been reading about Mary Jo Buttafo's book.  Talk about denial!   

I will stop by later.   
A_News_Junkie_Monkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #777 on: August 14, 2009, 11:59:07 PM »

WOW - well I looked and I read the article .. 
I think that the words " Lil Monkey" put upon the hat of a " Black or Dark Skinned Baby doll" would be very offensive to many. Why because for one its very difficult to find a Dark skinned baby doll period on any shelf - and then for them to put the words "Lil Monkey" on the hat of that doll ( as cute as she is) is offensive. To me anyway it is. I would think if I saw it first hand within a toy store or even a place like Costco - I would find it offensive. The doll is sweet and cute. But the verbage Yes - is offensive. Even if I saw it on a White or Asian Doll - Lil Monkey is just not appropriate.  I am thinking these dolls were made in China and they simply do not understand the stigma of the words Lil Monkey.
I think too since it is upon the baby dolls head - its even more so offensive. If the baby doll was wearing a bib and had a Monkey emblem on it and said " Lil Monkey" that would be totally acceptable. But basically what they are doing by Labeling the Dolls Head/hat as the doll is a little Monkey -and then putting it on a dark skinned doll - that is not right. Not right.  I would be offended if I was a black person. For all the years that little girls have had to except a blond haired blue eyed baby doll  - and have never had the option to have one that is of any other hair/eye color - that is racist too as far as I am thinking. 
I remember when I was little all my dolls were of the same - Blond blue eyed and I had no identification to them at all.  None. I remember the doll " I am sure Monkeys will remember her" she had a Head as big as a Cabbage - you pulled a string and her eye color would change.  Or the Crissy doll. She was tall and had Dark Auburn Hair and you could twist a button on her back and make her hair grow - Holy crap she has her own link.
http://collectdolls.about.com/od/dollprofiles/p/crissydoll.htm
Go Crissy 

Deenie - now that you explain it to me, I see why the gentleman on TV got so upset.  To me, I saw a cute doll - with a monkey toy.  Something Caylee would have loved as she loved monkeys.  I didn't get the connection to the spelling of the Lil  -- and your point of the placement of the words - Yeah, I totally see it now. 
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #778 on: August 15, 2009, 12:03:34 AM »

Denial  - hah
this song popped into my head  -    (( I love this song))

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EnKdg_H5Z4o&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;border=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/EnKdg_H5Z4o&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;border=1</a>

Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #779 on: August 15, 2009, 12:08:27 AM »

Hi ANJ and Ms Mytime

Was waiting on the Muse Crew to show 

Ms ANJ (( its only my opinion about the doll)) I appreciate your words in reply

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.