March 28, 2024, 03:59:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What About The Poisoned Russian Spy?  (Read 4906 times)
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« on: November 27, 2006, 12:21:18 AM »

Saturday,  a Russian ex-spy Alexander Litvinenko died in London from being poisoned. Mr. Litvinenko's death has been linked to the presence of a "major dose" of radioactive polonium-210 in his body.

Police have been examining two meetings Mr. Litvinenko had on 1 November - one at a London hotel with a former KGB agent and another man, and a rendezvous with an Italian security consultant at the sushi restaurant in the West End. Mr. Litvinenko, who was granted asylum in the UK in 2000 after complaining of persecution in Russia, fell ill later that day.

Friends have said Mr. Litvinenko was poisoned because of his criticism of Russia. He had recently been investigating the murder of his friend, Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya, another critic of the Putin government.

A comment from another board - "It can't be random if Politkovskaya has been shot few times in the head, and Litvinenko gets poisoned when rumours say that he knows the killer of Politkovskaya."

Apparently Litvinenko dictated a letter to a friend of his on 21/11, that is, two days before he died. He seemed pretty confident in his belief of who was behind his radiation poisoning. He accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of involvement in his death. The statement dictated before he died was taken at University College Hospital on Thursday.

This what the statement said:

I would like to thank many people. My doctors, nurses and hospital staff who are doing all they can for me, the British police who are pursuing my case with vigour and professionalism and are watching over me and my family.

I would like to thank the British government for taking me under their care. I am honoured to be a British citizen.

I would like to thank the British public for their messages of support and for the interest they have shown in my plight.

I thank my wife Marina, who has stood by me. My love for her and our son knows no bounds.

But as I lie here I can distinctly hear the beating of wings of the angel of death.

I may be able to give him the slip but I have to say my legs do not run as fast as I would like.

I think, therefore, that this may be the time to say one or two things to the person responsible for my present condition.

You may succeed in silencing me but that silence comes at a price. You have shown yourself to be as barbaric and ruthless as your most hostile critics have claimed.

You have shown yourself to have no respect for life, liberty or any civilised value.

You have shown yourself to be unworthy of your office, to be unworthy of the trust of civilised men and women.

You may succeed in silencing one man but the howl of protest from around the world will reverberate, Mr Putin, in your ears for the rest of your life.

May God forgive you for what you have done, not only to me but to beloved Russia and its people.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:06:03 AM »

What an eloquent statement. I hope Scotland Yard can follow the trail  wherever it leads, to whomever is ultimately responsible.

Russia is still such a place of danger and intrigue.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
Chicago_510
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:23:17 PM »

Another possible Russian poisoning.

"Doctors treating former Russian Prime Minister Yegor Gaidar, who fell ill in Ireland last week, believe he was poisoned, an aide said Thursday."

Complete Story in the link below
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061130/ap_on_re_eu/russia_gaidar
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 08:31:06 PM »

Hi Chicago,

I heard about this story, too, but you beat me to it regarding posting. Thank you for bringing it forward.

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »

LITVINENKO'S ITALIAN CONTACT HAS " A SIGNIFICANT QUANTITY" OF RADIATION

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/12/01/uk.spywrap/index.html
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 02:36:09 PM »

Litvinenko's wife has also reportedly tested positive for the radioactive substance.  CNN News Alert, no link available yet.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 08:46:15 PM »

I think I heard that the wife's clothing tested positive for radiation but the wife is ok.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 01:02:31 AM »

There is a related precursor event to all of this, prior to Anna Politkovskaya.

The trial for this murder was earlier this year and resulted in the conviction of someone quite far removed as a hitman. Abramovich is quite close to Putin as well.
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2004/07/10/Khlebnikov040710.html

This is an interesting piece regarding Forbes Moscow edition that appeared today:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/world/20061201-0231-forbes-russia-.html

I continue to stand with the girl.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 04:13:36 AM »

Five Convicted in Brutal Murder of Russian Journalist Anna Politkovskaya

First published May 20th 2014, 7:42 pm

By M. Alex Johnson

Five men were convicted Tuesday in Moscow in the 2006 execution-style murder of Russian investigative journalist Anna Politkovskaya, Russian state media reported.

snip

The murder raised worldwide questions about freedom of speech and of the press under Russian President Vladimir Putin — especially after three of the defendants were initially acquitted in 2009. The Supreme Court overturned those acquittals and ordered a new trial.

A jury in Moscow City Court returned guilty verdicts Tuesday against three Chechen brothers — Rustam, Ibragim and Dzhabrail Makhmudov — Lom-Ali Gaitukayev, their uncle, and Sergei Khadzhikurbanov, a former Moscow police officer, the Russian news agencies Izvestia and Itar-Tass reported. It found Gaitukayev guilty of planning and organizing the murder.

Khadzhikurbanov and two of the Makhmudov brothers, Ibragim and Dzhabrail, were acquitted in the 2009 trial.

A sentencing hearing was set for Wednesday, at which prosecutors are expected to seek life in prison, the news agency RIA-Novosti reported.

The men's lawyers said they would appeal.
http://www.nbcnews.com/#/news/world/five-convicted-brutal-murder-russian-journalist-anna-politkovskaya-n110551

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 12:02:16 PM »

Thank you for the update Nut.  Some of these cases take so long from the time the crime is committed until they are brought to trial.    

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.