March 28, 2024, 07:31:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #50 8/23/09 - 9/14/09  (Read 433195 times)
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1400 on: September 07, 2009, 10:32:27 AM »

CBB,  I caught your comment in Natalee's thread to me.  Yes, I had a very good time in Jonesborough.  I just love the little shops and I didn't miss one of them.  Stayed at a new hotel there and it was great.  Went to do some genealogy research.  Am going back the last week of October as well as the Shenandoah Valley also.  It is beautiful country in that area.  We took I-26 and then hwy 23/58 across virginia to the Cumberland Gap.  Loved it but that one mountain range (I think is was Black Mtn.) really got to me.  The drop off was unreal.  Of course my husband kept asking if I wanted to get a "closer" look at it. 

Blue Moon? Since you seem to like little excursions, I would HIGHLY recommend a trip to a little place called Little Switzerland. It's roughly an hour from Jonesborough on the Blue Ridge Parkway. There's a Chalet with a dynamite restaurant and little shops on the premises. Just a block down the hill is another little set of shops with a book exchange to die for. Lots of really good quality local pottery, and jewelry, and homemade goods galore in the shops. You'll pass an apple orchard on the way, and you just have to stop there. There will be a crowd there, and the orchard keeper's response to the crowds was to build a covered deck, invite local blue grass bands, and let the folks "two step" and clog.............. and they do!   

Oh, it's absolutely breathtaking in the Fall, and not so "touristy" as Gatlinburg. It's not commercially "slick" in any way, but a true gem. If I can talk you into going, be sure and walk through the Chalet Inn and take in the views. I've stayed there many times, but you have to think well in advance to get a room in the Fall months. There's a short cut, not shown on any internt driving directions if you're coming from my way, so if you decide to go, let me know!   

I would "LOVE" the book exchange.  That is where I usually find my most treasured genealogy books.  Is that apple orchard Altapass on the Blue Ridge?  If so I have been there about 2 years ago when we took a week and traveled the Blue Ridge (last time we traveled it was 30 years ago when we first married.  We loved the orchard and spent a good amount of time there.  Tour buses were there that day and it was extremely crowded.  I don't know how I missed Little Switzerland but I do believe we decided to get off the Parkway and go down to Asheville at that point.  My husband is an "ocean" person and I am the "mountains" person.  My genealogy research has taken me to many places in your area.  I have traced my mothers family to Jefferson Co., TN in the late 1790's and early 1800's, from there they came from Shenandoah Valley on Passage Creek.  My husband is a good sport and doesn't mind taking me to these places as long as he has a good Hotel room to relax in (I think if truth be known he enjoys it also).

Will let you know my itinerary for my next excursion into your area (right now last week of October).  I couldn't find the Chalet you were talking about.  What is it called again? 

CBB, I found the Switzerland Inn.  Is that what you are talking about.  It looks really interesting.  I also looked up the map for this place.  It is not far from the "Diamondback" road from TN to NC.  Have you ever been on that road?  We have (by mistake only).  We were passed by motorcycles winding around that mountain and once you are on it there is no where to turn around and get off it.  We stopped at a service station at the end of it in NC and the guy at the station asked us if we just came off that road?  We said yes and please tell us how to get back without going back over it.  He laughed at us and thought it was funny how sick we looked after that ride. Funny.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1401 on: September 07, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »

Click on the gallery link below    These remind me of Monken's cakes!

http://funkylunch.com/

http://funkylunch.com/gallery.htm

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #1402 on: September 07, 2009, 12:35:15 PM »

For BlueMoon and AZ Sunny,
My heart went out to both of you yesterday in the NH thread....

I'm so sorry about each loss you experienced, I can only imagine how painful that was.  I have an uncle that is a year old than I am.  He and his wife tried everything to have children.  She went through every treatment available twenty plus years ago.  They suffered through many, many miscarriages.  My heart broke for them.  They are both so kind and caring and would have given so much love to a child!  It wasn't in God's plan for them.  She eventually had to have a total hysterectomy in her late twenties.  I don't get to see them often, but every time I do; I still see the pain.  I'd hoped they would find another way to share the joy a child can bring by other means such as adoption; but they never have.  Over the years so many situations I've seen involving those being blessed with babies who didn't want them...always make me think of the precious couple that would have given anything for that blessing.  It's so sad.  I'm sure that just as Blue Moon said....my uncle and his wife know just how old each child that they lost would be....and wonder about so much more. 

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

(((hugs))))
    TM 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1403 on: September 07, 2009, 01:10:55 PM »

I'm so sorry about each loss you experienced, I can only imagine how painful that was.  I have an uncle that is a year old than I am.  He and his wife tried everything to have children.  She went through every treatment available twenty plus years ago.  They suffered through many, many miscarriages.  My heart broke for them.  They are both so kind and caring and would have given so much love to a child!  It wasn't in God's plan for them.  She eventually had to have a total hysterectomy in her late twenties.  I don't get to see them often, but every time I do; I still see the pain.  I'd hoped they would find another way to share the joy a child can bring by other means such as adoption; but they never have.  Over the years so many situations I've seen involving those being blessed with babies who didn't want them...always make me think of the precious couple that would have given anything for that blessing.  It's so sad.  I'm sure that just as Blue Moon said....my uncle and his wife know just how old each child that they lost would be....and wonder about so much more. 

(((hugs))))
    TM 

Thanks TM.  I hope it helps Janet and most of all to help her understand it is a hard, hard thing to talk about, to dwell on.  But I am lucky with my one and only son.  He was a godsend and I cherish him more than he ever knows.  That's why my hearts bleeds for Beth.  Each child is a godsend and to have one taken for you is not how it was meant to be.  I could not survive if my one and only were ripped from me in the way that Natalee was ripped from Beth.

If you ask the wrong question, of course, you get the wrong answer. We find in design it’s much more important and difficult to ask the right question. Once you do that, the right answer becomes obvious.<br />Quote: Amory Lovins
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1404 on: September 07, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »

(((hugs))))
    TM 

Thanks TM.  I hope it helps Janet and most of all to help her understand it is a hard, hard thing to talk about, to dwell on.  But I am lucky with my one and only son.  He was a godsend and I cherish him more than he ever knows.  That's why my hearts bleeds for Beth.  Each child is a godsend and to have one taken for you is not how it was meant to be.  I could not survive if my one and only were ripped from me in the way that Natalee was ripped from Beth.

I hope it helps Janet to understand too.  I'm thankful that you and AZSunny were blessed with children after your losses.  I can only imagine, but I know it's a pain that would never go away.  My boys are everything to me, I can't imagine a day without either of them.  My oldest being Natalee's age was a big part of my being drawn to her case.  I can't imagine walking a day in Beth's or Dave's shoes.  God bless them, and I pray that it is in His plan for them to see Justice for their precious Natalee.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1405 on: September 07, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »

Good Morning All!! 

Trimm: ROLL TIDE      

I forgot to post this but here's the inside of the tree that was struck by lightning. it was almost 100 ft. tall. It charred the inside of it! 

Hey Monken.      
Wow,that was a big tree. 
Did you get a new tv yet?(big one I hope)

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
crazybabyborg
« Reply #1406 on: September 07, 2009, 03:34:35 PM »

Blue Moon Wrote:
I would "LOVE" the book exchange.  That is where I usually find my most treasured genealogy books.  Is that apple orchard Altapass on the Blue Ridge?  If so I have been there about 2 years ago when we took a week and traveled the Blue Ridge (last time we traveled it was 30 years ago when we first married.  We loved the orchard and spent a good amount of time there.  Tour buses were there that day and it was extremely crowded.  I don't know how I missed Little Switzerland but I do believe we decided to get off the Parkway and go down to Asheville at that point.  My husband is an "ocean" person and I am the "mountains" person.  My genealogy research has taken me to many places in your area.  I have traced my mothers family to Jefferson Co., TN in the late 1790's and early 1800's, from there they came from Shenandoah Valley on Passage Creek.  My husband is a good sport and doesn't mind taking me to these places as long as he has a good Hotel room to relax in (I think if truth be known he enjoys it also).

Will let you know my itinerary for my next excursion into your area (right now last week of October).  I couldn't find the Chalet you were talking about.  What is it called again?

YES!! That's the Apple Orchard, Bluemoon!  Oh, you were so close to Little Switzerland! Here's the link to the Chalet, although I think it's the same one that you found:

http://www.switzerlandinn.com/

And here's the link for the book exchange:

http://www.lsbookexchange.com/

The restaurant is really good, and both the shops at the Chalet and the shops where the book exchange is located, is within a very short walk from the Inn. It's my fault. I always refer to it as the Chalet, but the name is actually "Switzerland Inn". The Book Exchange is wonderful. I've found out of print books that I've wanted for ages there, and it's chocked full of such interesting stuff! The owner is there with his dogs, and the last time I went, he needed to take his dogs home, so he asked us to watch the place for him!  We just took money from customers and helped them find stuff, and when he showed up a half hour later, we gave him the money.  He thanked us with a dixie cup and pulled out a bottle of wine! There's a fireplace and comfy sofas and a mountain of books! It's the only BYOB happy hour book exchange I've ever been to! There's even a store next door where you can buy cheese and crackers! Those two sets of shops is about all the business there is in Little Switzerlad, but there are beautiful walking paths, and a pretty waterfall on one of them. There's horseback trails and a livery stable. I wouldn't call the rooms at the Inn "posh", and some are nicer than others, but I've always enjoyed my time there. The lobby is big with hewn stone floor and huge fireplace, and there's Apple Cider and usually a table set with an elaborate puzzle for guests to work on and contribute to.

If you get back to the orchard, be sure to take home some golden delicious apples. They aren't big and perfect skinned like those in the grocery store but the flavor is so, so much better! They're great eating apples, but if you should want to make a pie, they're the absolute best! I hope you can go, Bluemoon! I think you'll have a good time!   

When you came down Hwy 58, you passed right by the entrance to my clinic! There was a small town called Clinchport that flooded multiple times. They literally moved the town and built  "Thomas Village", within Duffield for the residents. On a hill, just before the only red light in Duffield, you may have noticed a bunch of Victorian Style Houses with lots of gingerbread work and porches, etc. That's Thomas Village, and the clinic is right in the middle of it. At the red light, there's a billboard for the clinic with Dr. Greene pictured holding a child. We always tease him by saying he looks like a pedophile!    I split my time at work between the Billing office here and the clinic, but I'm well familiar with the road you took, and drive it back and forth several times a week.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 03:37:52 PM by CBB » Logged
Blue Moon
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1407 on: September 07, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »

Blue Moon Wrote:

YES!! That's the Apple Orchard, Bluemoon!  Oh, you were so close to Little Switzerland! Here's the link to the Chalet, although I think it's the same one that you found:

http://www.switzerlandinn.com/

And here's the link for the book exchange:

http://www.lsbookexchange.com/

The restaurant is really good, and both the shops at the Chalet and the shops where the book exchange is located, is within a very short walk from the Inn. It's my fault. I always refer to it as the Chalet, but the name is actually "Switzerland Inn". The Book Exchange is wonderful. I've found out of print books that I've wanted for ages there, and it's chocked full of such interesting stuff! The owner is there with his dogs, and the last time I went, he needed to take his dogs home, so he asked us to watch the place for him!  We just took money from customers and helped them find stuff, and when he showed up a half hour later, we gave him the money.  He thanked us with a dixie cup and pulled out a bottle of wine! There's a fireplace and comfy sofas and a mountain of books! It's the only BYOB happy hour book exchange I've ever been to! There's even a store next door where you can buy cheese and crackers! Those two sets of shops is about all the business there is in Little Switzerlad, but there are beautiful walking paths, and a pretty waterfall on one of them. There's horseback trails and a livery stable. I wouldn't call the rooms at the Inn "posh", and some are nicer than others, but I've always enjoyed my time there. The lobby is big with hewn stone floor and huge fireplace, and there's Apple Cider and usually a table set with an elaborate puzzle for guests to work on and contribute to.

If you get back to the orchard, be sure to take home some golden delicious apples. They aren't big and perfect skinned like those in the grocery store but the flavor is so, so much better! They're great eating apples, but if you should want to make a pie, they're the absolute best! I hope you can go, Bluemoon! I think you'll have a good time!   

When you came down Hwy 58, you passed right by the entrance to my clinic! There was a small town called Clinchport that flooded multiple times. They literally moved the town and built  "Thomas Village", within Duffield for the residents. On a hill, just before the only red light in Duffield, you may have noticed a bunch of Victorian Style Houses with lots of gingerbread work and porches, etc. That's Thomas Village, and the clinic is right in the middle of it. At the red light, there's a billboard for the clinic with Dr. Greene pictured holding a child. We always tease him by saying he looks like a pedophile!    I split my time at work between the Billing office here and the clinic, but I'm well familiar with the road you took, and drive it back and forth several times a week.

Ya know, I think I remember those houses and commented to my husband how pretty and old they were.  I was using my Tom-Tom and my husband was trying to listen to what "she" was saying and all he said was Ahh Ahh.  AND I think I remember that sign also because we turned at the red light and I was reading signs to make sure we were on the correct road. 

I told my husband about Little Switzerland and he just rolled his eyes.  We will see!!!!  Between you and I have been emailing back and forth to a "distant" cousin in Lexington, VA about my trip to Shenandoah next month my husband can't get over one trip before there is another.  I told him to enjoy it while we can.      

Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1408 on: September 07, 2009, 07:18:38 PM »

Awwww these are so cute, my granddaughter's would love them! 

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1409 on: September 07, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »

Good Morning All!! 

Trimm: ROLL TIDE      

I forgot to post this but here's the inside of the tree that was struck by lightning. it was almost 100 ft. tall. It charred the inside of it! 

Hey Monken.      
Wow,that was a big tree. 
Did you get a new tv yet?(big one I hope)

Hey Trimm  We got the bedrooms covered, just gotta get one for the living room. Sam's has a good deal on a 36" (I Think) flatscreen but I have to wait on more $. I really want that one! 

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1410 on: September 07, 2009, 10:59:20 PM »

As I was scrolling through today's news I found this:

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/dpgo_Study_Men_Focus_on_Womens_Breasts_mb_09062009_3357596
Study: Men Focus on
Women's Breasts

Updated: Sunday, 06 Sep 2009, 11:42 AM CDT
Published : Sunday, 06 Sep 2009, 11:29 AM CDT

<snip>
A 2007  German study published in the New England Journal of Medicine stated that staring at women's breasts improved men's health. The study claimed that staring at breasts for 10 minutes a day was as healthy as going to the gym for 30 minutes daily and prolonged a man's life by five years.

Unless his wife catches him, then it decreases his life by twenty!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1411 on: September 07, 2009, 11:19:41 PM »

Now you did it.  I was trying not to think of the picnic leftovers in the fridge!

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1412 on: September 07, 2009, 11:47:12 PM »

Hi Sis!

Nice post!

I believe in miracles!
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1413 on: September 07, 2009, 11:51:48 PM »

Hi Sis!

Nice post!

Hi backatcha Sis!   

btw...I've talked it over with my hubby and he only has eyes for mine!   

crazybabyborg
« Reply #1414 on: September 08, 2009, 12:26:53 AM »

As I was scrolling through today's news I found this:

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/dpgo_Study_Men_Focus_on_Womens_Breasts_mb_09062009_3357596
Study: Men Focus on
Women's Breasts

Updated: Sunday, 06 Sep 2009, 11:42 AM CDT
Published : Sunday, 06 Sep 2009, 11:29 AM CDT

<snip>
A 2007  German study published in the New England Journal of Medicine stated that staring at women's breasts improved men's health. The study claimed that staring at breasts for 10 minutes a day was as healthy as going to the gym for 30 minutes daily and prolonged a man's life by five years.

Unless his wife catches him, then it decreases his life by twenty!

What are WE supposed to stare at for the equivalence of going to the gym for 30 minutes?
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #1415 on: September 08, 2009, 12:35:34 AM »

humina hummina  in response to What we can Look at  GYM = Man Boobs

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WjLxlhXzpU&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xcc2550&amp;color2=0xe87a9f&amp;border=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4WjLxlhXzpU&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xcc2550&amp;color2=0xe87a9f&amp;border=1</a>

heck if they can ...WE can 
Lordy if I was only 10+ yrs younger lol.

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1416 on: September 08, 2009, 06:51:41 AM »

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1417 on: September 08, 2009, 06:52:56 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4WjLxlhXzpU&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xcc2550&amp;color2=0xe87a9f&amp;border=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4WjLxlhXzpU&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0xcc2550&amp;color2=0xe87a9f&amp;border=1</a>

Yeah Deenie. Man boobs and coffee!   

~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1418 on: September 08, 2009, 07:07:41 AM »

Yeah Deenie. Man boobs and coffee!   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
marymary
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1419 on: September 08, 2009, 07:55:16 AM »

Thanks Deenie
   Been staring for 10 minutes.  Guess that covers my 30 minutes of.    for today.   

Good Morning Monkeys
Hope you had a wonderful Labor Day weekend!! 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.