April 26, 2024, 03:24:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kristi Cornwell 38, abducted 08/11/09, Blairsville GA (BODY FOUND)  (Read 53779 times)
Ariana
Scared Monkey

« on: August 15, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »

Missing in Georgia: Kristi Cornwell
Posted at 7:02 PM Aug 12, 2009

View Larger Map
Cornwell was on Jones Creek Road when she disappeared.

Kristi Cornwell, a 38-year-old resident of Blairsville, GA has been missing since about half-past 9 p.m. Tuesday night. Kristi vanished under decidedly suspicious circumstances. The following is from Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC) reporter Alexis Stevens:

Kristi Cornwell/Facebook
​Cornwell's boyfriend, Douglas Davis, apparently attends a Cobb County church, according to a daily e-mailed report from Macland Baptist Church. According to the church e-mail, Davis was talking to Cornwell when she was approached.

"She told him a car was stopping near her and then started screaming, 'Don't take me,'" according to the church bulletin.
The AJC also reports that Cornwell disappeared from a rural section of Jones Creek Road, but was just a short distance from New Union Baptist, her home church, when she vanished.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is involved in the search for Kristi Cornwell. Neither they nor the Union County Sheriff's Dept. are revealing very much about their investigation.

Many publications have spelled Cornwell's first name "Christy," but on her Classmates.com profile it is spelled as it is in this post. The same profile indicates Cornwell was born Kristi Cody and she graduated in 1989 from Union County High School. The AJC stated that Cornwell is a student in medical technology at Dalton State College.

Kristi Cornwell is a 5'5", 150-lb dark-haired white female. If you have information related to her whereabouts, call the Union County Sheriff at 706-439-6066

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2009/08/missing_in_georgia_kristi_corn.php

New Movement in Missing
Woman Search
Updated: Saturday, 15 Aug 2009, 10:18 PM EDT
Published : Saturday, 15 Aug 2009, 5:14 PM EDT

Divers have joined the search to find a missing Blairsville woman. Authorities said 38-year-old Kristi Cornwell vanished Tuesday night. There has been no sign of her since.

The dive team focused their search in the waters near the area where Cornwell's cell phone was found.

Police have sent choppers back up in the air Saturday afternoon. It's just a day after investigators found Cornwell's cell phone in a yard three-miles away from where police believe she was abducted.

Saturday morning, Cornwell's brother, Richard Cornwell, shared his thoughts and photos of his missing sister. He's wanting to the community to know her like he does: a loving sister, mother, aunt and church member who liked motorcycles.

"I think it's positive that we know the direction of travel now. At least they know which way to look," said Richard.

"We know now from the cell phone having been found that the person or persons involved in this incident, passed by this way," said GBI Director Vernon Keenan.

Officials with the GBI said they are dealing with several challenges.

"There were two teams of searchers that went into the woods behind me about two hours ago. It's very rough terrain," said an investigator.

Friday afternoon, police brought out bloodhounds to pick up the scent of the missing woman.

Investigators said they have interviewed Cornwell's friends and studied bank and phone records.

"Nothing has turned up that would be helpful to the investigation," said the investigator.

Authorities are also searching for two vehicles that may be linked to the disappearance of Cornwell -- a white suburban sized SUV and a tan or gold Toyota or Nissan sub-compact.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/New_Movement_in_Missing_Woman_Search_081509

I added more to the title
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:34:09 AM by klaasend » Logged
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 02:05:25 AM »

Divers assist with search for Blairsville woman

By Rhonda Cook and Alexis Stevens
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A team of divers from Hall County joined the search Saturday for Kristi Cornwell.

Police say Cornwell, a former probation officer, was abducted Tuesday while on an evening walk along a little-traveled road near Blairsville. At the time, she was near her parents’ house and on her cell phone, telling her boyfriend in Atlanta that a car was following her.

Douglas Davis, the boyfriend, called the Union County Sheriff’s Office around 9:20 p.m. to report that he heard a struggle and Cornwell’s cries for help.

As the search reached a fifth day, family and friends tried to keep their hopes up.

Richard Cornwell was told of his sister’s apparent abduction around 10 p.m. Tuesday. Driving from Knoxville, he reached his parents’ home in Blairsville around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday.

When he arrived, Richard Cornwell walked up and down the rural road from where his sister was taken, calling her name in the dark, even as law enforcement began the official search.

It was the only thing he could think to do.

“I started searching myself when I got here,” Richard Cornwell said Saturday from his makeshift “command center” in his parents’ unfinished basement.

The 32-year-old civil engineer said he is living on coffee and doughnuts and taking care of his mother while his father stays at the law enforcement command center for the search for Kristi Cornwell. Family and friends, many of them bringing food, are in and out of the house, he said.

Richard Cornwell said he took it as a good sign Friday when a homeowner, while cutting the grass, found his 38-year-old sister’s discarded cell phone.

“They know the direction of travel,” Richard Cornwell said. “It’s comforting to know they did not find the cell phone at the end of some abandoned road. It was [found] on a state route. I got positive feelings because of that. Rather than go into some nearby secluded location in the forest, I feel positive that maybe they’re [his sister and abductors] still on the road somewhere.

“We know the direction of travel so we can shift the focus of the searching and start looking at counties to the north. ”

Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Vernon Keenan said Saturday the search had expanded to the area where the phone was found on Nottely Dam Road, about 3 1/2 miles from where Kristi Cornwell was taken Tuesday.

Divers were searching near a bridge on Pat Colwell Road, GBI spokesman John Bankhead said Saturday evening. The dive team will likely continue its efforts Sunday, he said.

About 100 law enforcement officers from 17 agencies and several German Shepherds, bloodhounds and other search dogs went out again Saturday morning, Keenan said.

By then, virtually every registered sex offender in Union, Towns, Gilmer and Lumpkin Counties had been questioned. Keenan said Department of Probation officers who conducted those interviews learned nothing to help find Kristi Cornwell.

“We’re checking into her professional life when she was a probation officer for couple years and reviewing every case that she supervised,” Keenan said.

Kristi Cornwell resigned that job in 2002 to go to school full time. She had an apartment in Dalton, where she was studying, but also lived with her parents.

“She walked in evening [exercise] at no particular time,” Keenan said. “We’ve not focused on a suspect and the victim has not been found.”

Keenan noted that when law enforcement officers swarmed the same area in January 2008 looking for hiker Meredith Emerson they knew soon after they started who they suspected. Many of the investigators who looked for Emerson are now looking for Kristi Cornwell, Keenan said.

Emerson was found on Jan. 4, 2008, in some woods in Dawson County. Gary Michael Hilton took investigators there in exchange for a prosecutor’s assurances that he would not seek the death penalty. Hilton pleaded guilty to murdering Emerson and he is now in Florida where he is awaiting a death penalty trial for a woman’s death there.

As searchers were looking for Kristi Cornwell on Saturday, Emerson’s friends were holding an already-scheduled memorial walk in Blairsville.

Unlike Emerson’s case, Keenan said investigators have little to go on in their search for Kristi Cornwell.

Some of Kristi Cornwell’s personal items also were found along Jones Creek Road, where she was walking. Witnesses reported two suspicious vehicles in the area at the time.

Richard Cornwell said someone, a stranger to the family, had offered money for a reward. He declined to say how much because the details are pending.

Meanwhile, one of Cornwell’s friends has created a group on the social networking Web site Facebook for those hoping for the safe return of the mother of a 15-year-old son. Almost 2,000 people had joined the group Saturday evening, offering their prayers and wishes for Kristi Cornwell’s safe return.

“Please Jesus,” one poster wrote, “Be with her and her family.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/divers-assist-with-search-116317.html

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 02:11:23 AM »

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/New_Movement_in_Missing_Woman_Search_081509
video 8/15

Tina Bee
Scared Monkey

Hassani Campbell *Still Missing*

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:32:03 AM »

How horrible! This woman was taking a relaxing evening walk and was likely abducted!

I think they should probe anyone that Kristi came in contact with while working as a probation officer. A lot of time crazies wait til the perfect time to strike and kill even if it takes years.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »

she quit being a probation officer in 2002

Ariana
Scared Monkey

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 12:58:44 PM »

That she did, but if she did something to piss someone off back then it could be that they just now found her and decided revenge.  It's even possible that as an officer she had to send someone back to jail for breaking probation and they recently got out and went for revenge.  It is also possible that it is someone she doesn't know.  Just some sick pervert who made a grab for her.  That happened to me once when I was taking my kids for a walk in a stroller in Waco, Texas.  The guy grabbed my arm and tried to pull me in his car.  Lucky for me someone drove around the corner and he took off, she wasn't so lucky.  May God let them find her soon.
Tina Bee
Scared Monkey

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »

she quit being a probation officer in 2002

Well that's not too long ago. I think there's a connection. Someone is mad at this woman. I just hope she's still alive.
Tina Bee
Scared Monkey

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 06:48:35 PM »

That she did, but if she did something to piss someone off back then it could be that they just now found her and decided revenge.  It's even possible that as an officer she had to send someone back to jail for breaking probation and they recently got out and went for revenge.  It is also possible that it is someone she doesn't know.  Just some sick pervert who made a grab for her.  That happened to me once when I was taking my kids for a walk in a stroller in Waco, Texas.  The guy grabbed my arm and tried to pull me in his car.  Lucky for me someone drove around the corner and he took off, she wasn't so lucky.  May God let them find her soon.

Now that's a scary story! I'm glad you got away from that sicko.

If she quit her probation officer job back in 2002 then it's likely that someone she angered has come back to seek their revenge.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 07:41:13 PM »

August 16, 2009 Sunday

Search grows for missing woman;
After phone found near Blairsville, brother's hopes up.;
Officers interview area sex offenders.

Law enforcement authorities have expanded the search area for a woman who was apparently abducted last week while taking an evening walk near Blairsville.

GBI Director Vernon Keenan said Saturday that searchers were now looking in the area near where Kristi Cornwell's cellphone was found Friday, about 3 1/2 miles from where she was taken.

Cornwell, 38, a former probation officer, was walking on a lightly traveled road near her parents' house and speaking to her boyfriend on the cellphone when she disappeared Tuesday.

She told the boyfriend, Douglas Davis, that a car was following her.

Davis called the Union County Sheriff's Office about 9:20 p.m. to report that he heard a struggle and Cornwell's cries for help.

About 100 law enforcement officers from 17 agencies and several search dogs went out again Saturday morning to search for Cornwell, Keenan said.

Probation officers also have questioned nearly every registered sex offender in Union County and nearby Gilmer, Lumpkin and Towns counties.

Keenan said those interviews did not turn up anything.

"We're checking into her professional life when she was a probation officer for a couple of years and reviewing every case that she supervised," he said.

Cornwell quit working as a probation officer in 2002 to go to school full time. She is enrolled at Dalton State College as a student in medical laboratory technology.

Cornwell's brother, Richard Cornwell, said he was heartened by the discovery of his sister's cellphone Friday by a homeowner who was cutting his grass.

"They know the direction of travel," Richard Cornwell said. "It's comforting to know they did not find the cellphone at the end of some abandoned road. It was [found] on a state route. I got positive feelings because of that. Rather than go into some nearby secluded location in the forest, I feel positive that maybe they're [his sister and abductors] still on the road somewhere.

"We know the direction of travel," he said, "so we can shift the focus of the searching and start looking at counties to the north."

Keenan noted that law enforcement officers swarmed the same area in January 2008 looking for hiker Meredith Emerson, and many of the investigators who looked for Emerson are now searching for Kristi Cornwell.

Emerson's body was found Jan. 4, 2008, in some woods in Dawson County.

Gary Michael Hilton took investigators there in exchange for a prosecutor's assurances that he would not seek the death penalty.

Hilton pleaded guilty to killing Emerson and he is now in Florida, where he is awaiting a death penalty trial in the death of another woman.

Richard Cornwell said someone, a stranger to the family, has offered money for a reward. He declined to say how much because the details are pending.

Meanwhile, one of Cornwell's friends has created a group on the social networking Web site Facebook for those hoping for the safe return of the mother of a 15-year-old son. Almost 1,300 people had joined the group by Saturday morning, offering their prayers and wishes for Kristi Cornwell's safe return.

"Please Jesus," someone wrote on the site, "Be with her and her family." 
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1023601143&start=3

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Ariana
Scared Monkey

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 12:58:01 AM »

GBI: Time Running Out To Find Missing Woman Alive
    Updated 8/16/2009 10:53:08 PM
 Posted By: Duffie Dixon

UNION COUNTY, Ga. -- For the first time, GBI investigators gave a frank assessment of where things stand in the search for a missing Blairsville woman.

It's believed 38-year-old Kristi Cornwell was abducted five days ago.

GBI Spokesman John Bankhead say searchers are still hoping to find her alive, but conceded that with each passing day the statistics do not support that theory.

"The farther away you get from the original abduction time the less chance you have of finding her alive, but we're going on hope that she is still alive", said Bankhead.

Sunday morning, friends and neighbors gathered at the New Union Baptist Church to pray for Cornwell. The church served as a command post for search crews early on in the investigation.

Two of Cornwell's childhood friends echoed descriptions given by her family saying she is a motivated, strong mother of a 15-year-old son. Cornwell was once a probation officer and a counselor who they say knows how to protect herself.

"I feel very sure that whatever situation she's in, if there's anyway for her to get out she'll fight her way out and we'll find her safe. She'll come home to her son. She's fighting for him," said Tracy Floyd Chambers.

Tuesday night, Cornwell went walking down Jones Creek Road around 9:00pm. She was on her cellphone talking to her boyfriend who lives in Atlanta. He told investigators she mentioned a car approaching and said she was going to move off to th side of the road. He said he then heard a conversation and the unmistakable sounds of her being abducted.

Investigators later found some of her personal items in that same area and say there were signs of a stuggle.

On Friday, Cornwell's cellphone was found on the side of Nottely Dam road, about 3 and a half miles north of where she disappeared. A homeowner was mowing his lawn and noticed a cell phone lying in the grass near the roadside.

The GBI has asked that anyone who was driving on Jones Creek Road Tuesday night between 8 and 10 or anyone who traveled Notelly Dam Road that same night between 8 and midnight to call the Union County tip line 706-835-2900 or 706-835-2902.

Investigators have also said they're looking for a white SUV van and a tan or gold Nissan or Toyota older subcompact car. The GBI says both vehicles were spotted in the area around the time or Cornwell's disappearance, but do not belong to anyone who lives nearby.

Any leads beyond that have been hard to come by.

"We still don't know whether or not it was a random abduction or a targeted abduction, which is making the investigation very difficult", said Bankhead.

At the same time, Cornwell's family and friends have made several pleas publically hoping to reach the person who abducted Kristi.

Tracy Wintermute has known Cornwell since the 4th grade and has helped in the search for her.

"Bring her home. Let her go. Bring Kristi back to her family and friends because we need her", said Wintermute.

For searchers it all brings back painful memories of a similar case a year and a half ago that occured just 20 miles from where Cornwell disappeared. 24-year-old Meredith Emerson was kidnapped while hiking on Blood Mountain.

Family members, friends and complete strangers searched huge areas for days.

GBI investigators eventually caught Emerson's killer, only to learn that she had survived for days and that several times law enforcement was right on his heels. He killed her just hours before they captured him.

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=133869&catid=3
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »

there is much missing from this story..

she is out walking at 9 p.m.... alone.
she is talking to her boyfriend.. a car shows up and she is still talking to her boyfriend.. 
she must have given him a descriptions of the male..? he can hear them talking.. any accent ? what was said ?
she is a trained professional..  once they have you in a vehicle your chances of survival diminishes quickly.

phone is found 3 miles away and anybody between where she is taken and where the phone is found may have seen the described vehicle..
she should have been in a struggle to her death..

I tend to think that there is more then one culprit.. one that subdues her and one driver..

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »

if she was on the phone talking when the car shows up and a struggle happens to get her into the car.. how did she manage to hang on to her phone ?? it was in her hand when they pulled up.. they took it away from her ??
then there prints should be on the phone or possible DNA
Ariana
Scared Monkey

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »

Abducted woman’s mother: ‘Let her come back’
Kristi Cornwell was on cell phone when she yelled, ‘Please don’t take me!’
 Video

Family of missing woman: This is beyond worst dreams
Aug. 17: The family of a Georgia woman missing for nearly a week talks to TODAY’s Ann Curry about the woman’s disappearance.
Today show

updated 2 hours, 57 minutes ago
The mother of a woman missing and believed abducted off a rural Georgia road last Tuesday made an impassioned plea on TODAY Monday for her captor to show mercy and release her beloved daughter.

Kristi Cornwell, a pretty, 38-year-old single mom, went for an exercise walk near her home in Blairsville, Ga., Tuesday evening. As she chatted with her boyfriend, Douglas Davis, on her cell phone, she said she had to wait a moment for a vehicle to pass. Davis then heard a struggle and screams over the phone line, and Cornwell shouting, “Please don’t take me.”

While the tiny, tight-knit community rallies around Cornwell through prayer circles and some 100 law enforcement personnel from 15 agencies search for her, Kristi’s mother, Joanne, gave TODAY’s Ann Curry a message for whoever may have taken her daughter.

“I just want to ask them to have mercy on her, to let her go, let her come back to us,” Joanne Cornwell said live via satellite from Blairsville. “She has a 15-year-old son that desperately needs his mother. Let her go.”

Well trained
Choking back tears, Cornwell added a message to her daughter. “I would tell Kristi that we’re praying, and she’s praying I know; she’s a woman of faith. And we are, too. To hang in there, and her chance to be free will come. She will be able to get away.”

If anyone could be prepared for the horror of dealing with being abducted, it would be Kristi Cornwell. She has a degree in criminal justice, is trained in firearms, worked at a local prison and taught self-defense courses. She abandoned that career and was currently studying medical laboratory technology at Dalton State College, but her brother, Richard Cornwell, appearing with his mother on TODAY, told Curry Kristi could handle herself.

“She’s very well educated and well trained to deal with this situation,” he said. “I don’t think anyone would have a better set of tools than she does to get through this.”

Some leads have surfaced in the case that has rocked rural Union County, Ga., where another young hiker was murdered in January 2008. On Thursday, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation found some of Cornwell’s personal belongings and signs of a struggle. And on Friday, a local man found Cornwell’s cell phone while mowing his lawn. The phone was found some 5 miles from where Cornwell was thought to have been abducted, with police believing whoever picked her up may have headed toward North Carolina.

In addition, reliable tips have come in reporting a white SUV and also a gold or tan compact car cruising in the area at the time of Cornwell’s abduction — vehicles that don’t belong to anyone living on the rural road. Still, the GBI has not nailed down a suspect. They have ruled out Cornwell’s boyfriend, her three ex-husbands, and a list of the registered sex offenders in the area.

“We don’t have a solid lead right now on who might have done this,” the GBI’s John Bankhead told NBC. “We don’t have any target suspects at this point.”

Reasons for hope
While the Cornwell family deals with its fear and dread about the safety of Kristi, her brother Richard told Curry he’s still at a complete loss as to why anyone would take their family member away.

“I just can’t imagine someone would do a thing like this, it’s just beyond our wildest dreams,” he said. “We can’t even dream about anything this horrible.”

Former FBI profiler and NBC news analyst Clint Van Zandt told Curry Monday that he sees hopeful signs in the investigation — especially the discovery of the cell phone. “If it’s a kidnapping, you may have that the assailant grabs the cell phone out of her hand and throws it out the window. Then we’ve got fingerprints and perhaps DNA to work with,” he said.

Van Zandt added Cornwell likely knew exactly what she was doing by screaming “Please don’t take me” into her cell phone at the time of her abduction.

“For her to say that, that tells her boyfriend this is no accident; this was a kidnapping, so in those few words she expressed what was going on, and how frightened she was,” Van Zandt said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32445420/ns/today-today_people/
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 12:50:54 PM »

VIDEO.......FAMILY ON GMA
http://www.wsbtv.com/video/20430091/index.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
NickandNora
Monkey Junky

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 01:35:17 PM »

Am I understanding correctly...that her taking late night walks alone was routine?
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »

Am I understanding correctly...that her taking late night walks alone was routine?

I have heard it's something that was not uncommon for her. I don't know if I heard routine though.

NC Sex Offenders Questioned In Missing Woman Case

Updated: 1:34 pm EDT August 17, 2009
UNION COUNTY, Ga. -- Investigators planned to go across state lines into North Carolina Monday to continue their search for Kristi Cornwell, 38, who vanished from Union County six days ago.

A new command post for the search operation into Cornwell’s disappearance was set up just a few hundred yards from where her cell phone was found in the grass Friday night.

For the last five days, search teams have scoured the many wooded areas in Nottely Lake, and given that her cell phone was found just a few miles shy of the North Carolina line, Channel 2 Action News reporter Jodie Fleischer learned investigators in Cherokee County, NC would interview sex offenders there Monday.

Missing Woman's Family Appeals For Help On GMA

Investigators believe they have thoroughly searched the area around where Cornwell was walking Aug. 11 while talking on her cell phone to her boyfriend when he heard someone take her.

"Then he hears what he believes to be a struggle and loses contact with her at that time,” said Mike Ayers with the GBI.

Investigators said the boyfriend called 911 and when officers arrived they found items of Cornwell’s that showed signs of a struggle.

Officials said they believe her adductor may have taken her out of the area in the direction of North Carolina.

"That's what we believed happened, while he was driving down the road, given the location of the cell phone right on the side of the road where the man cutting the grass found it, it's an indication that it was just tossed out of the window,” said John Bankhead with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Dive teams were also scheduled to be back in the water Monday to help with the search.

Thirty more GBI agents from field offices around the state were called in Monday to canvas neighborhoods near where Cornwell was walking, hoping to find anyone who saw anything.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/20431337/detail.html

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 01:53:12 PM »

Kristi Cornwell, 38, was taking a routine evening walk Tuesday when police believe she was  abducted  down the street from her family's home in Blairsville, Ga.

(This was from an article this morning, it was ROUTINE.)
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=8341741&page=1

sleddogs
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 02:44:17 PM »

I'm wondering if this might be connected. Distance is 84 or a 1 .75 hours away. And it is almost in a straight line.

LEXINGTON, Ga. -- Authorities identified a couple found dead along a road in rural Oglethorpe County.

Lothar Karl Schweder, 77, and his wife, Sherry L. Schweder, 65, were found by some Jehovah’s Witnesses Saturday morning, investigators said.

County Coroner James Mathews said the bodies were found near the Schweders' home, where Sherry Schweder often walked pets along the road. Mathews said they both loved animals and may have been looking for a pet that wandered away.

Authorities were awaiting the results of an autopsy to determine cause of death.

A friend of the family said Lothar Schweder was a retired University of Georgia professor. William Potter, head of UGA libraries, said Sherry Schweder worked at the school's main library.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/20427665/detail.html

Map

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=blairsville,ga&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=U6SJSpqYGoi8Nv2ysfsO&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

Who said Siberian Huskies are too big to be lap dogs?

If ya ain't the lead sleddog, the scenery never changes.
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »

Missing Blairsville woman: Search continues; questions surround 911 calls
By FROM STAFF AND NEWS REPORTS
 Metro Atlanta / State News Updated 13 minutes ago

Police say Cornwell, a former probation officer, was abducted while on an evening walk along a little-traveled road near her parents’ Blairsville home. At the time, police believe she was on her cell phone telling her boyfriend Douglas Davis in Atlanta that a car was following her.

More than 100 law enforcement officers searched for Cornwell Monday, marking six days of combing the rural Blue Ridge Mountains town.

Divers from Hall County are looking in a lake off Pat Colwell Road while officers are combing the woods, Georgia Bureau of Investigation spokesman John Bankhead said Monday afternoon.

As of 2 p.m., investigators had no new clues, but remain committed to finding Cornwell, Bankhead said.

Police have focused much of the search on an area on Dam Nottley Road, where Cornwell’s cell phone was found Friday.

“The most difficult thing is we still don’t know whether it was random or a targeted abduction,” Bankhead said.

Cornwell’s family has spent the week posting fliers and showing the missing mother’s photograph around Union County.

On Monday, the family made a national plea for help and appeared on ABC’s “Good Morning America” and NBC’s “Today” show.

Although concerned a possible kidnapper may be loose in the area, Blairsville residents said they are skeptical about the abduction being a random act. Many said they have more questions about Cornwell’s boyfriend and the 911 call.

Davis told investigators he was on the phone when he heard the struggle between Cornwell and her abductor. She said “don’t take me,” and then hung up, investigators said.

Davis then called Jo Ann Cornwell, his girlfriend’s mother, Bankhead said. The mother called 911.

“It terrified me,” Jo Ann Cornwell told ABC. “I couldn’t believe what he was saying. So I called 911.”

Davis, who was in Atlanta at the time, also called police, the GBI said.

Details about those calls and the 911 tapes are part of the investigation and not available, Bankhead said Monday.

Investigators questioned Davis and Kristi Cornwell’s three ex-husbands – and have ruled them out as suspects, said her brother Richard Cornwell.

The brother declined to answer any other questions about Davis.

http://www.ajc.com/news/missing-blairsville-117175.html

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »

sleddogs

That was a good find..

Thanks for posting it..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.