April 18, 2024, 11:46:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wild dogs attack/kill couple near their home -- Lexington GA  (Read 1705 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: August 18, 2009, 04:55:59 PM »

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! I am certainly no city-chic and quite familiar with very rural settings......but HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Coroner: Wild dogs killed Ga. woman, then husband
By KATE BRUMBACK (AP) – 33 minutes ago

LEXINGTON, Ga. — An elderly woman killed by a pack of wild dogs had been out for a walk when she was attacked, and her husband died trying to fight off the mauling animals when he discovered the bloody scene near their rural Georgia home, authorities said Tuesday.

Preliminary autopsy results showed Lothar Karl Schweder, 77, and his 65-year-old wife, Sherry, died from multiple animal bites.

Authorities have rounded up about 11 dogs suspected in the rare attack and returned to the area Tuesday to find four more spotted by a deputy. The dogs were being held by animal control officials while authorities decide what to do with them, said Jim Fullington, special agent for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

"It just appears that a large number of dogs had started living, running together, multiplying and had grown into what I would describe as a pack of wild or feral-type dogs," Fullington said.

Sherry Schweder had told one of her sons that there were several dogs wandering the neighborhood that no one seemed to be caring for, Fullington said.

Authorities said it appeared Sherry Schweder was attacked by the pack of dogs during a Friday evening walk near her home. Authorities believe her husband later went looking for her in the family car.

Investigators found Sherry Schweder's bloody shirt underneath the car, which was about six to eight feet from her body, said Madison County Coroner James Mathews.

Lothar Schweder was then attacked and apparently struggled with the dogs, Mathews said. His body was found on the other side of the dirt road, about 16 to 18 feet from his wife's body.

Evidence indicates Lothar Schweder put up a fight and may have tried to pull out a cell phone before he was overtaken, Mathews said.

Experts say such attacks are extremely rare — and instances where more than one person is attacked are even more rare.

"You are more likely to killed by a bolt of lightening than by a dog," said Adam Goldfarb, a spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States. "It's one in millions."

There have been at least 20 deadly dog attacks in the U.S. this year, 22 in 2008 and 33 in 2007, Goldfarb said, compared with about 75 million owned dogs. Many dogs that turn vicious aren't necessarily pets but kept for hunting or breeding, or as guard dogs.

Dogs that attack also typically are not spayed or neutered, which can contribute to aggression, Goldfarb said. He said it's likely the dogs in the Georgia attack weren't sterilized.

Authorities said they interviewed a man at a house down the street where several dogs were staying. Fullington said the man was not staying at the house full time.

Fullington could not say whether anyone would face charges, citing the ongoing investigation.

The Schweders' son, Mark, said his father had taught German and philosophy at the University of Georgia a few decades ago. Lothar Schweder had also worked as a librarian and a spokesman at a state penetentiary in Kansas, the son said.

Sherry Schweder was a bibliographer at the university's library, where she had worked since 1974, selecting books and journals for the school's humanities collection, said librarian William Potter.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5geziDaV_aR_NmJvgSiz0mAhNBSLgD9A5GOSG0

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:34:13 PM »

I had read this in the morning.. I am having a hard time with it. I can see one person who get killed by a tag team pair of dogs who are wild.. I can see a pack of dogs in some 3rd world nation killing a person.
What I am having a hard time with is 2 people killed at different times by the same pack of dogs.

It almost appears that some person sicked the animals on the victims..

I do not know and I am not living in this area.. But I have never seen this before, 2 people murdered by wild animals at different times..
Dogs are not laying in wait for victims.. except maybe trained attack dogs.

jmho   
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.