April 19, 2024, 11:37:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PUDGE IS BACK IN ARLINGTON!!!!!!  (Read 2095 times)
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« on: August 18, 2009, 10:14:33 PM »

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090818&content_id=6487270&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

08/18/09 9:45 PM ET

Rangers excited to play with Rodriguez

Veteran catcher adds experience for stretch run

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

ARLINGTON -- Rangers outfielder David Murphy didn't give it a second thought.
He wore No. 7 in Little League, high school and again with the Rangers. But no more. He will gladly give it up for Ivan Rodriguez.

"I'm not big on superstitions," Murphy said. "I'm definitely not going to keep it. He wore it here and for most of his career. I respect that."

Rodriguez wore No. 7 when he was a 10-time All-Star and 10-time Gold Glove winner while with the Rangers from 1991-2002. He was wearing it again in a Texas uniform after he was acquired from the Astros on Tuesday.

Murphy, who now wears No. 14, was among those in the Texas clubhouse who were thrilled with news that they acquired a likely future Hall of Fame catcher.

"I couldn't be more excited," third baseman Michael Young said. "I played with Pudge for two years, he was a great teammate and obviously a great player. He played in two World Series and won one. All three playoff teams in Texas, he was a huge part of them. We've kept in touch and he always told me he wanted to come back. We're all excited about having him back."

Rodriguez, 37, returns as a backup catcher. The Rangers made it clear that catcher Taylor Teagarden will be the starter and Rodriguez will likely start once or twice a week.

"You couldn't ask for anything better as a backup," outfielder Josh Hamilton said.

"It's really good, just because of the career he's had," second baseman Ian Kinsler said. "He's someone you want on your team. He's been in the big leagues and he's had success in the game. He's somebody who can answer questions if anybody has them."

Taylor Teagarden could be at the front of that line. Teagarden remains the Rangers' starting catcher but grew up in the Dallas area, and Rodriguez was one of his favorite players growing up. Now he can learn directly from the master.

"Just the fact that he's Pudge and he's in our clubhouse is great," Teagarden said. "It will be nice to take it all in and learn from him. He's one of the best players in the game and one of the greatest catchers ever. There are great learning possibilities for me. I'm going to take advantage of it."

Rodriguez won 10 Gold Gloves with the Rangers and three more after he left. With 13 overall, he has won more Gold Gloves than any other catcher in Major League history. He was the starting catcher for Texas when it won a division title in '96 and again in '98-99. He was the American League Most Valuable Player in '99.

"There is only one Pudge," said Rangers hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo, who has known Rodriguez for over 20 years. "This is going to be good for the club. He's been through a lot of games and a lot of pressure situations and he's a winner. He'll fit in good. These players really respect Pudge."

Rodriguez was hitting .251 with eight home runs and 34 RBIs in 93 games with the Astros this season. He's not the feared hitter that he once was, but Jaramillo still believes he can contribute significantly on the offensive side.

"Pudge still has good bat speed," Jaramillo said. "I've got some ideas I think I can help him with. He can still hit."

Rodriguez, in his prime, was renown for his throwing ability. He combined a power right arm with exceptional quick feet to lead the league just about every year in throwing out basestealers. In '99, when he was AL MVP, he threw out a career-best 52.5 percent. Even this season, at age 37, he had the third-best percentage in the National League (14-for-34, 29.2 percent) before being traded.

"He's still able to intimidate you," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "He's not intimidating as he once was, but he's still intimidating."

"He's the man here," infielder Omar Vizquel said. "He was the man from the beginning. He's part of the image that the Rangers built when they were a strong team. He's a great guy to have around."

Vizquel was in the starting lineup Tuesday night to give Elvis Andrus a rest. But there will be times when the Rangers have a bench that includes Vizquel, Rodriguez and outfielder Andruw Jones. They have won a total of 34 Gold Gloves between the three of them, including 11 by Vizquel and 10 by Jones.

"I don't think we can catch ground balls and fly balls from the dugout, but on foul balls we will be good," Vizquel said. "The guys in the dugout are well protected."

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20090818&content_id=6482172&vkey=news_tex&fext=.jsp&c_id=tex

08/18/09 8:52 PM ET

Pudge rejoins Rangers for chance to win

Rodriguez, 14-time All-Star, willing to be a backup

By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

ARLINGTON -- Ivan Rodriguez said he is a winner. He said all he wants to do is win and he believes the Rangers have a chance to do just that.
That ultimately led him to accept a trade that brings him back to where his likely Hall of Fame career began, even if it is as a backup catcher for the first time.

That's the situation Rodriguez finds himself after the Rangers acquired him from the Houston Astros for two Minor League players on Tuesday. Rodriguez, who played for the Rangers in 1991-2002 and remains one of their most popular players, was in uniform for Tuesday night's game against the Twins but was not in the starting lineup.

Rodriguez said he is willing to accept his role as backup catcher behind Taylor Teagarden on a team that went into Tuesday's game leading the American League Wild Card race. Rodriguez spoke with both general manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington by phone before waiving a no-trade clause and understands that he is now a reserve player.

"I understand the way the team is playing and I don't want to break that up," Rodriguez said after driving up from Arlington in time for Tuesday's game. "They're playing well. Ron and I talked about me playing two-three times a week, and that's fine with me. All that matters is winning."

The Rangers acquired Rodriguez for Minor League pitcher Matt Nevarez and a player to be named. Infielder Jose Vallejo, who is on the 40-man roster, is believed to be the second player but must clear trade waivers. The Astros will get a third player in the deal if the Rangers make the playoffs. Catcher Kevin Richardson was designated for assignment to make room for Rodriguez.

Rodriguez made his first appearance on Tuesday night when he brought the lineup card out to home plate and got a big ovation from the crowd. He is expected to be in the starting lineup either Wednesday or Thursday.

"You always want to come back where you started," Rodriguez said. "It has been a long time. This would be a great place to finish my career. I'm very excited to be back."

The deal came down Tuesday when the Rangers found out that catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia has Thoracic Outlet Syndrome that is causing pain and numbness in his right arm. Saltalamacchia is on the disabled list and is out until at least September.

"With Salty having shoulder issues and the position we're in as far as the pennant race, we wanted a veteran who gives a protection until Salty gets back," Daniels said. "Pudge's name certainly jumped out among the three or four guys we checked on."

The Rangers also talked with the Royals about John Buck and the Padres about Henry Blanco. But Rodriguez was their first choice among those they targeted.

Rodriguez played 12 seasons with the Rangers, winning 10 Gold Gloves, playing in 10 All-Star Games and being named the American League's Most Valuable Player in '99. He was a huge part of the division championship teams '96 and '98-99. He left as a free agent after the '02 season but remains in the Rangers' top 10 in just about every offensive category.

"I didn't have the benefit of being here the first time he was here," Daniels said. "But he was one of the greatest players to ever put on the Rangers uniform and the greatest position player. Next to Nolan Ryan, he's one of the biggest icons we've ever had.

"But that's not why we acquired him. He's here because we needed a catcher and he's the best one we could get. We like what he can contribute."

The Rangers believe Saltalamacchia has a mild form of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. The condition can either lead to a rib pressing against a blood vessel or a nerve. If it's a blood vessel, it can lead to surgery as in the past cases of Hank Blalock two years ago or Matt Harrison earlier this season.

If it's just the nerve, then it's possible it could be dealt with through rest and treatment, and without surgery. The Rangers are hoping that's the case with Saltalamacchia and he can be ready to go in September. Surgery would sideline him for two-three months.

"I've worked too hard to miss the playoffs," Saltalamacchia said. "Not every case [of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome] has to have surgery. It's not like I am damaging it by playing through this. I plan on catching. It's just a question how much."

If Saltalamacchia does come back, the Rangers will have three frontline catchers capable of playing every day and looking for playing time.

"I hope that's the case," Daniels said. "Winning smoothes things out. The bottom line is all three want to win and will do what they can do. Right now, Taylor is the starter. It's not a quarterback controversy. It is strengthening a spot after injury."

It is also adding one of the greatest catchers in the history and certainly the most prolific. Rodriguez, while with the Astros, set a Major League record earlier this year when he played in his 2,227th game as a catcher, passing Carlton Fisk on the all-time list. That took place during Interleague Play while the Astros were playing the Rangers in Arlington.

Rodriguez has played in 14 All-Star Games and won 13 Gold Gloves, most by a catcher and tied for the fourth most at any position. He also has more runs, hits and doubles than any other catcher in Major League history.

"The most important thing I bring is experience," Rodriguez said. "I want to talk to the other catchers and pitchers, get to know them. I see this ballclub having a great future. I've been watching the Rangers the last two or three weeks. They are on TV all the time. They are playing very well, and I want to contribute to this and bring the Rangers back to the playoffs. With my help, I think we can make it."

Rodriguez doesn't believe his career is over. He is not coming to Arlington for one final curtain call. Rodriguez is not planning to retire after this season or anytime soon.

"There is still a lot in me," Rodriguez said. "I love what I do and I love the game of baseball. When you love a game, you want to play it a long time. Physically and mentally, I feel great. I want to play two or three more years."

T.R. Sullivan is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:22:52 AM »

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.