April 18, 2024, 03:21:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pioneering Internet 'detox' center looks to cure online addicts  (Read 1788 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:51 AM »

//www.techflash.com/venture/New_detox_program_for_Internet_addicts_opens_near_Seattle_53619592.html
Pioneering Internet 'detox' center looks to cure online addicts
By John Cook on August 18, 2009 at 7:13 PM PDT

Are you spending wakeless hours trying to master World of Warcraft? Would you rather send a friend a text mesage than meet in person? Do you sometimes fall asleep at the keyboard?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, you may have an Internet addiction. But now there's help. The reStart Internet Addiction Recovery Program -- a first of its kind center in the U.S. -- recently opened its doors on a tranquil 5-acre spread in Fall City just a few miles away from Microsoft's headquarters.

Most people go to treatment for cocaine or booze, but the creators of reStart say Internet addiction is a growing problem.

The 45-day program -- which costs $14,500 -- is designed specifically "to help internet and video game addicts overcome their dependence on gaming, gambling, chatting, texting and other aspects of Internet Addiction," according to the press release.

It goes on to say that as much as 10 percent of the online population is dependent on various aspects of the Internet, with the directors of the center noting that similar programs have arisen in places like China and South Korea.

King 5 spent some time at the 6-bed facility, interviewing an Iowa teenager whose parents enrolled him after he dropped out of school because of his addiction to World of Warcraft.

"I'd have all these rationalizations of, well, it's not a big deal to just miss this one class," 19-year-old Ben Alexander tells King 5.

At the rate things are going, my wife may want to check me into the program. I just completed the questionnaire to see if I would qualify as having a computer addiction. (Three to four affirmative answers signals abuse, while five or more indicates an addiction.)

I registered seven positive answers, including changes in sleep patterns; feeling restless when not engaged in the activity and neglecting friends and family.

With that, I am calling it quits for the night. Time to hop on my bike.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:41:01 PM »

sign me up for that..
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:57:38 PM »

sign me up for that..

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 02:39:53 PM »

It is possible to cure yourself.. Just follow these steps.. Call it 12 steps.. 

1) I will have a cup of coffee in the morning and read my newspaper like I used to, before the Internet. 

2) I will eat breakfast with a knife and fork and not with one hand typing. 

3) I will get dressed before noon. 

4) I will make an attempt to clean the house, wash clothes, and plan dinner before even thinking of the Internet. 

5) I will sit down and write a letter to those unfortunate few friends and family that are Internet-deprived. 

6) I will call someone on the phone who I cannot contact via the Internet. 

7) I will read a book...if I still remember how. 

Cool I will listen to those around me and their needs and stop telling them to turn the TV down so I can hear the music on the Internet. 

9) I will not be tempted during TV commercials to check for email. 

10) I will try and get out of the house at least once a week, if it is necessary or not. 

11) I will remember that my bank is not forgiving if I forget to balance my checkbook because I was too busy on the Internet.

12) Last, but not least, I will remember that I must go to bed sometime...and the Internet will always be there tomorrow!

http://www.funlol.com/1680/Internet_Addiction_Disorder!.html
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.