March 28, 2024, 06:20:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama Healthcare Myths  (Read 1601 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 22, 2009, 07:35:12 AM »

"Obama again tackles "myths" on healthcare reform"

"Let's start with the false claim that illegal immigrants will get health insurance under reform. That's not true.

Why not exclude illegal immigrants by amendment?  Add something just to ease the minds of hard working Americans, the unemployed, and future generations? 

It seems like such a simple thing, and I've heard numerous attempts to add such language have been defeated by the Democratically controlled Congress.

"That idea has never even been on the table. Some are also saying that coverage for abortions would be mandated under reform. Also false."

Why not exclude abortion and family planning?  Long ago, when insurance was still affordable, family planning, abortion, maternity, and well baby care were often NOT included.  It went something like this "Pregnancy is neither a sickness nor an accident, therefore it is not covered." 

People needed to save for their family expenses.  Save for their pregnancy and delivery expenses.  Abortions, and contraceptive schemes were not covered.

Why aren't these expenses excluded?  They used to be excluded by language in the olden days, when insurance was affordable.

"As every credible person who has looked into it has said, there are no so-called 'death panels' -- an offensive notion to me and to the American people," he said. "These are phony claims meant to divide us."

Where is that savings coming from?

Why is there language in the bill to pay more for 'new' procedures, that currently do not exist in the Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement scheme? 

Does rationing by any name or scheme or unnamed process smell any sweeter? 

If there is no 'death panel' but a process that results in lesser care, and incentives NOT to treat the old and disabled, what should the process be called? 

Can a computer program, a fee schedule, and legislation, create a non-human judgement system?  A software driven 'death panel'?  What about those that come up with these ideas?  Isn't an exam an exam?  Vote on them?

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE57L0K620090822

Why isn't the Obama plan tackling healthcare inflation at the hospital level?  Increasing competition among hospitals? 

Why are some hospitals going on building sprees?  Creating new technology centers?  What happened to basic preventive care?

Why doesn't the plan encourage innovation in things like therapy?  It's easy to build in anticipation of growing requirements for therapy...where's the incentive to find less expensive and effective ways to treat those needing therapy?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:18 AM »

"If you like your current health plan, you can keep it."

My friend just bought a new washer, got a deal, and took advantage of '12 months same as cash".  She could have paid cash, bought a warranty, or put the washer on a credit card and paid for 45 years.  She has a large family, and a washer/dryer is a necessity.  Can't go without one for long.  The cost of washing at the laundromat is prohibative.

What are the chances that your health plan will still be in business?  Maybe they have access to the printing press at the Treasury and Federal Reserve? (NOT)

Pre-Existing Conditions
What are the chances that someone with pre-existing condition, say pregnancy, will ever contribute enough in premiums to a health plan to cover the their expenses? 

People of good faith contribute monthly to cover the cost of healthcare.  Illness or accidents could happen to anyone.  Some people decide to pay a little each month just in case they get sick.  They acknowledge they may not use that money, but someone else in the group may.

How much will their premiums go up when people with pre-existing conditions start joining?  What are the chances that these latecomers will continue to pay premiums after their claims of maybe hundreds of thousands, or even just hundreds are 'covered' or paid by the group?  Are these latecomers forced to continue coverage?  After one month, what if they 'drop' the insurance and go uninsured?

Is it fair to expect responsible people to pay for those that only choose coverage when they feel they 'need' it?  Is private health insurance welfare?

I think the Obama plan just wants to transfer the costs of the uninsured in the ER to the private sector. 

How long before community organizers are 'selling' or signing up the uninsured in the ER or other healthcare settings for private insurance when they 'need it'?  'Need it' being when they are running up large bills?

How long could any insurance plan stay in business when their income is $100 dollars a mnth and their expenses due to pre-existing condition new business is $10,000?

Would it be fair to the business selling washers if my friend made a small deposit, decided not to continue paying, and got to keep the washer free and clear?  Who's going to pay for that washer?  Maybe the price to other customers after a year will be more to make up for my friends good deal?

What if my friend had no intention of really paying for that washer?  She just wanted a free one, because hers was broken?  Should everyone subsidize her need for a new washer?

Why shouldn't she be expected to go to the thrift or second hand store for a new washer?  Why shouldn't she be expected to do like others and pick up a used washer on the side of the road?  Wash those clothes by hand? 

I think most people would recognize that the appliance business, or any business could not STAY in business if the law allowed people to pay maybe $10 for an item worth thousands.  Someone has to make up the difference.

I think Obama wants to put private insurance out of business.

If your pre-existing condition is pregnancy (I saw that example used by one Congress person on TV)?  Why should 100 responsible people with a plan pay because you didn't sign up until you felt you 'needed' the insurance? 

Why isn't Obama telling you to have your children at home, the way many across the globe do?  Home birth, the traditional method of humans for thousands of years?

If you're a worker and you have a contract.  10% paid up front, the balance at the end of a job.  Would it be fair or good business if the government forced you to take everyone wanting work done?  Even con artists?  Those that would pay the 10% up front, and then take your time and labor and not pay the balance? 

How many people could survive if the law forced them to work with people who only wanted to pay $.01 on the dollar for your time and materials?

Why aren't there more options to pay for healthcare?  12 months same as cash.  45 years on a credit card.  Cash.  Less technology, simple care.  Generics instead of brand.

Why should some get a lot for little or no investment?

How long will any private insurance survive when health exchange community organizers are signing up people in the ER?  Dialysis center?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:39:41 AM »

What if you like your previous employers health plan?

Should your previous employer be forced to continue to keep you on their plan for years?

What if your previous employer is self-insured, meaning the company accepts responsibility for claims and uses an insurance company to manage the process? 

Should they continue to pay for your claims for years?  For all employees that leave and no longer contribute to the success of the company?

How long does anyone think they can keep that up? 

If healthcare currently costs them say 5% of payroll for active employees, how much will in cost in future years when they're forced to pay for inactive employees as well? 

Maybe in year two, it will be 6% of payroll?  How long before they drop the plan for something else?

Is the government forcing all retiree plans to accept every retiree, including that that weren't part of their group in the past? 

Is the plan for Congress and the President being forced to accept all Americans?

Maybe the unions should accept everyone into their healthcare plan, without the responsibility of membership and paying union dues, and let union members pay for everyone out of their dues?

Why should any of these groups be allowed to limit enrollment in their healthcare plans?  Shouldn't they be forced to let everyone have access?  Regardless of pre-existing conditions, like membership?

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »

There has to be an answer to the problems of the uninsured. 

How many problems are due to plain cheapness?  Trying to get something for nothing?

How many problems are due to catastrophic illness?

Lots of different issues.  I do not believe the answer is to kill off the private insurance market.

What responsibility does any person have for paying for their health care purchases?

How many could go into a store and take thousands of dollars of merchandise to the check-out, leave a few dimes, and refuse to pay the thousands of dollars left?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.