April 19, 2024, 08:03:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cast Iron Skillet/Frying Pans  (Read 11608 times)
blah
Monkey Junky

« on: November 30, 2006, 10:36:20 AM »

I recently (about 2-3 months ago) bought a cast iron frying pan and quite frankley, do not know how I made it this far in life without having one.  This is quite possibly the best thing I have ever bought for the kitchen, I cannot believe the difference between this and a regular frying pan.

Anyhow, on to the problem.  There are a few small areas where the black coating has flaked off and it was down to bare cast iron.  I tried baking it in the oven @ 350 degrees for 1 hour a few days in a row with a light coat of vegetable oil wiped on it prior to sticking in the oven.  This really didnt do that great of a job at repairing the flaked off areas.

The other day I did the same procedure using Crisco instead.  It seems to have worked considerably better but still not perfect.  This also caused pretty nasty fumes in my house for the entire time I had it in the oven

Now, I ask y'all, how do you care for and touch up your cast iron skillets, frying pans, whatever?  I think the Crisco thing will work after a few times, just looking for better alternatives.

Thanks.
MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 11:09:35 AM »

Hi Blah

I was blessed with my Grandmothers already seasoned cast iron cookware, I've never had a flaking problem with them We use it at home and when we go camping.  I just love mine.

I found a couple of websites that might help you answer your questions

http://www.dutchovencookware.com/lodge-cookware.html

http://www.dutchovencookware.com/lodge-cookware.html

Enjoy Smile

Maine, born and raised!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:11:56 AM »

Hi blah.....I have three iron skillets....one is my Moms which she started using in 1940....one is mine which I received as a wedding present....one I got around 25 years ago....

the finish on each is somewhat different....my mom's is totally "cured" but is uneven (probably due to the fact that kids have cleaned this one for many years)....my other two are also cured and the finish is even....i treat them all the same way....i clean them with a green and yellow scrubbie...using the green part and a bit of soap and hot water....then i spray the pot with Pam and wipe with a bounty towel...

i never let someone start scrubbing the bottom of the pan....they will scrub down to the original and that is not good.....if there are sticky bits on the bottom, i add a little water and turn on the burner....when the water starts to simmer, i use a rubber spatula to work the stuck pieces free....

Seems like a lot of work to love these old pots...but they are so work it.... Very Happy

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 11:16:08 AM »

I meant "worth" it...... Very Happy

Also wanted to ask if you got your skillet at Cracker Barrel....they have the Lodge line and they are already seasoned......good luck.... Very Happy

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
blah
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:29:21 PM »

hey guys, thanks for the tips.  I'll read those links when I get home tonight Ms.DarthVada.  MrMere, I got the pan at Target but we do have a Cracker Barrel near us.  I'll go check out what they have because I'd like to get a few more.  Might even get some for Christamas presents this year.
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 09:00:10 PM »

Blah,
you probably already know this but just in case. To dry your cast iron skillet after cleaning, put it on a burner for a few minutes with heat. Let the heat dry it and wait till cool to put it away. This will help keep it from rusting.

Just a swinging with the tribe
cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 09:25:09 PM »

Blah, I use the exact same method as Mere, and when I put my skillet on the burner to dry it I spray a little bit of Pam in it first, I LOVE my cast iron. I have a Jen Air stove with a griddle on one side and over the years the griddle has become almost like a cast iron griddle. My sons friends all rave about how I make the best grilled cheese sandwhiches they have ever eaten on that griddle....

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 10:14:08 PM »

A few years ago, I purchased a "Martha Stewart" cast iron frying pan at KMart for $25. I thought I followed the directions precisely for seasoning the pan, but I promptly ruined it and it rusted and I threw it out.  I can live without one.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 12:04:34 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
A few years ago, I purchased a "Martha Stewart" cast iron frying pan at KMart for $25. I thought I followed the directions precisely for seasoning the pan, but I promptly ruined it and it rusted and I threw it out.  I can live without one.

LOL MOM~!!
 I have 2. a smal one and a larger one. I dont use very often. they were seasoned.. and usually used the small one to fry eggs in. Larger one I havnt used in years.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 12:10:58 AM »

Love you honey from mama.

Angiex911dsptchr
Monkey All Star

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 12:25:05 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Love you honey from mama.

Love you too sweety! Smile
Katysmom
Monkey Junky

Everyone needs a helping hand once in a while

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 02:51:28 PM »

Quote from: "blah"
I recently (about 2-3 months ago) bought a cast iron frying pan and quite frankley, do not know how I made it this far in life without having one.  This is quite possibly the best thing I have ever bought for the kitchen, I cannot believe the difference between this and a regular frying pan.

Anyhow, on to the problem.  There are a few small areas where the black coating has flaked off and it was down to bare cast iron.  I tried baking it in the oven @ 350 degrees for 1 hour a few days in a row with a light coat of vegetable oil wiped on it prior to sticking in the oven.  This really didnt do that great of a job at repairing the flaked off areas.

The other day I did the same procedure using Crisco instead.  It seems to have worked considerably better but still not perfect.  This also caused pretty nasty fumes in my house for the entire time I had it in the oven

Now, I ask y'all, how do you care for and touch up your cast iron skillets, frying pans, whatever?  I think the Crisco thing will work after a few times, just looking for better alternatives.

Thanks.

Blah, my husbands says that you probably should of used a hotter oven.  He suggests that you go ahead and cook with it and it should re-season itself as you cook.  If nothing else, you'll get a small amount of iron in your food and you won't have to spend money on iron pills. Laughing

If love could of saved you, you would of lived forever
msmarple
Monkey Junky

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 09:37:11 PM »

Cast iron frying pans - everything that goes around, comes around.

My mother always used them, and I still have hers, although I don't use them much. I use the biggest to make pineapple upside down cake, and a small one to make cornbread for dressing, as she did! I don't fry that much but mother did.

She rarely WASHED them per se. Don't think I ever saw her immerse them. Might have to tackle a spot of burned sugar after the pineapple upside down cake, or something similar. Clean excess out with paper towels. Wipe the surface clean (including the bottom & handle) with a hot damp cloth. If it's a new one, rub or spray oil on it each time you use it and store it that way as well. Over time this will not be very necessary. Rust is the only enemy.

DOH! But don't oil the bottom exterior surface - I think it might catch on fire!

I'm sure this is findable on the Internet, but I've heard that camping purists "wash" them with sand or dirt, wipe them clean, and oil them.

And last time I noticed, the hardware stores still sell them.

Why did they have to disappear her body?

Murder & Crime on  Aruba Summary - http://tinyurl.com/2lhukn

My usual avatar is an orchis simia (monkey orchid) plant.
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 11:16:37 PM »

Oh msmarple,

All your good advice makes me want to go out and buy another and try again. Thank you!

crazybabyborg
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 04:23:52 AM »

I'm not sure how to " fix a flake", but you might try my "curing method" for a new one. I always coated it with Crisco and then put it in the embers in the fireplace. If new, I'd repeat this a few times. For a while, afterward, I tried to only use it for cornbread ( well greased ) and would just wipe it out with paper towels to clean.

Did you know that using an iron skillet really does add iron to the food cooked in them? It's good for you!
oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »

Gee Monkeys
I thought I was the only one that loved Old Nasty looking cast Iron ?
A pain in the back (heavy)  and not used every day But .. fantastic results on some things.

I know what Blah is talking about. Carbon Flaking...
Will work on post that is long to decibel but fairy short to actual do that may help.  It involves  boiling water scrubbing cast iorn and brief shock treatment

Layers upon layers of burnt on carbon (fats - foods) is what makes cast  iron semi-no stick.  And sometimes you have to attempt to level it out.

BTW
Used cast iron pans (garage sales / flea markets) are bargain prices and
I think animal fats (lard, beef suet, bacon drippings) are much better for seasoning the pan.  To me they turn to burnt carbon  quicker(pure fat)  than other oils.  
When we  seasoing a pan we need to feed the pan's needs &  not worry about what we are going to cook in it
JMO

Later
OldFart

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 07:48:39 PM »

Quote from: "oldfart"
Gee Monkeys
I thought I was the only one that loved Old Nasty looking cast Iron ?
A pain in the back (heavy)  and not used every day But .. fantastic results on some things.

I know what Blah is talking about. Carbon Flaking...
Will work on post that is long to decibel but fairy short to actual do that may help.  It involves  boiling water scrubbing cast iorn and brief shock treatment

Layers upon layers of burnt on carbon (fats - foods) is what makes cast  iron semi-no stick.  And sometimes you have to attempt to level it out.

BTW
Used cast iron pans (garage sales / flea markets) are bargain prices and
I think animal fats (lard, beef suet, bacon drippings) are much better for seasoning the pan.  To me they turn to burnt carbon  quicker(pure fat)  than other oils.  
When we  seasoing a pan we need to feed the pan's needs &  not worry about what we are going to cook in it
JMO

Later
OldFart

I'm so glad YOU said that OF! Yes, Lard works best for seasoning, and I'm sure bacon drippings, etc would do the trick too. I use Lard to cure, but thought Crisco would work too and some people have a big reaction when you mention using Lard for anything. Did you know that before crisco, and all the artificial fat that contains so much trans fat, came into being, the incident of heart disease in this country was 1/4 what it is today? I read an article about it in Reader's Digest, and it named the year that "man made" fat came into being. The article went on to explain the details of how animal fat does not clog the arteries, but even small levels of the man made stuff are like glue and much harder for the body to break down.
So use the natural stuff in your skillet, and thanks OF!!
Lala'sMom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 01:59:38 PM »

When my mother wanted to season a new iron skillet, as she would say, she simply fried bacon and sausage in them for about 2 weeks and when she washed them she would wipe them with a paper towel and never put them to soak in the sink.  She just rinsed them for that 2 week period.  Always worked for her and it works for me too.
oldfart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 03:54:41 PM »

Blah  Not sure how describe ended up being "decibel"  Embarassed  must have not been paying attention to what I-Spell was wanting to make it  Laughing

I normally just rinse the inside of pan out with hot water & a Non Nylon  type brush when the pan is still warm. Wipe with out with a paper towel & put back on burner (shut off) to let dry.  Add a couple of drop of cooking oil wipe with a paper towel and then ignore until cool

Then there are the times I need to  give it a good cleaning (to me anyway).   It may be incorrect so check with others that uses theirs more often.

When cleaning (as above) When I put it back on the burner I fire  UP  the HEAT  until the pan is just starting to almost smoke.   Like if you were getting ready to sear a  roast .

Then (with  great care) I dump in about 1/4 cup of tap water depending on the size of the pan,  CAUTION ..WATCH OUT for the STEAM and immediately start rubbing / scrubbing the bottom of the pan with a wooden spatula for about 15-30 seconds.

It seems  that when the tap water hits the Hot - Hot pan... (and shocks it) loose carbon pops off  (water has black flecks like pepper floating in it) and the rubbing & scrubbing with the wood gets a little more to loosen up and even things on the bottom out.

Leaving burner ON - Remove the pan, Dump the contents, rinse out under HOT  running water wipe with paper towels, place back on the  burner.  Once all moisture has disappeared about 1/2 -1 min. shut off burner, add a tiny bit of oil, Spread evenly and just let it cool down then wipe out with old News Papers and put away.

I said it was a long post... time-wise from adding the water to the HOT HOT pan to shutting the burner off should be less than 2 min.

Mom alway said I would crack the pan by adding the water to the hot cast iron.. None todate   (crossing all Monkey toes & fingers) maybe too much water would though.
Like I said .... ask Monkeys that use it more often   than I do.

BTW
Ya can't beat cast iron for cooking corn-bread Wink
SeeYa

It is NOT over !!! If you believe good prevails and that the truth comes forward then justice will be handed out.  I want answers!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.