April 28, 2024, 04:54:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jaycee Dugard kidnapped 18 years ago So Lake Tahoe, CA FOUND ALIVE / 2 arrested  (Read 471280 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1120 on: October 14, 2009, 12:22:19 PM »

Long-time US kidnap victim breaks silence

Los Angeles - Jaycee Dugard, who was kidnapped, held hostage and became a mother to two children during 18 years of captivity in California, released her first photo and comments Wednesday since being released from her ordeal in August. Dugard, 29, appeared with a bright smile in a picture on the cover of People magazine.

"I am so happy to be back with my family, nothing is more important than the unconditional love and support I have from them," Dugard told People. Further details and pictures will be released when the magazine hits newsstands on Friday, the magazine said.

The photo of the pretty woman with long brown hair bears a striking resemblance to the blonde 11-year-old who was kidnapped in 1991. Her alleged kidnapper Phillip Garrido and his wife Nancy are charged with keeping her and the two daughters she gave birth to in their back yard compound in Antioch, northern California.

They have pled not guilty to 29 charges relating to her kidnapping and rape.

A spokesperson for Dugard said that she had agreed to the People interview to show the world that she's recovering well.

"She has such a deep appreciation for this new life that she's embarking on," Dugard family spokesman Erika Price Schulte told Good Morning America. "She did want to thank everyone and really let everyone see how happy she is and how much she's enjoying this and how happy she is to be home."

Schulte said that Dugard and her two daughters were transitioning well back into more normal lives living in an undisclosed location with Dugard's mother and sister.

"They are such a family ... The five of them are such a tight, tight unit. I look at them and it's just so normal. It's just extraordinary," said Schulte, who has visited the family several times.

Schulte said that Dugard spends time with the family and riding horses while the girls are being home-schooled by tutors.

MORE...

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/290169,long-time-us-kidnap-victim-breaks-silence.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1121 on: October 14, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »

Yesterday's Oprah was about Jaycee and other missing children, but I forgot about it and only saw the last 20 minutes or so.  I'm sure it may have been brought up here or another thread....I just didn't see it yet.     

She interviewed the two ladies from Berkley that and they recounted what set off their hinky meteres and how everything unfolded.

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1122 on: October 14, 2009, 12:25:01 PM »

http://www.dgshi.cn/e/article/200910/1427.html

Today Show video talking about the People article.
Ariana
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1123 on: October 14, 2009, 02:56:36 PM »

In the caption in the side it says that her progression photo looks nothing like her.  I don't think it is too bad, they definitely got her nose right.  But they also say, "there are no photos of her" due to her being in seclusion.  They seem to forget that they posted "Jaycee's picture" not too long ago.  I don't mean to offend anyone but the NE is full of BS and has been for as long as I can remember, try early 80's here for me.  I personally don't count anything they say as being real unless I see it confirmed from somewhere else.  No way is someone giving this infamous magazine quotes that are not being given to more reputable news places.  I wish they would leave her alone and quit picking on her.  Can someone please point me to a reputable site that says that she was shackled?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:35:14 PM by klaasend » Logged
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1124 on: October 14, 2009, 04:33:45 PM »

Thanks Northern Rose for the articles, and yes she looks nothing like the composite picture.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1125 on: October 14, 2009, 07:36:17 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=10664548&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1126 on: October 14, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »

thanks for the photos etc..Klaas...
they are talking about Jaycee and other missing people/kids on Larry King Live..

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1127 on: October 14, 2009, 09:10:12 PM »

they are talking about Jaycee and other missing people/kids on Larry King Live..

edit....thanks San for scanning the article..haven't read it yet but I will...xxx

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1128 on: October 14, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »

Thanks cookie.  Took me forever to find CNN on cable.  They moved it from channel 10 to 78.
Calimode
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1129 on: October 14, 2009, 09:49:40 PM »

Hey, so was that other picture of Jaycee (a bunch of pages back) as a grown up, not her? It doesn't look like the same person.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1130 on: October 14, 2009, 09:56:30 PM »

Hey, so was that other picture of Jaycee (a bunch of pages back) as a grown up, not her? It doesn't look like the same person.

No that other picture wasn't her.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1131 on: October 14, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »

are you talking about the "age progression" picture of Jaycee? if so, that is  what they thought that she could look like...

a while back there was a business card from the perverts business that a barber or someone else said was Jaycee and that was not really her either..the other girl on the business card had really blonde hair and was all glamored up if I remember right..wonder who that girl was ? very attractive as well...

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1132 on: October 14, 2009, 10:06:48 PM »

are you talking about the "age progression" picture of Jaycee? if so, that is  what they thought that she could look like...

a while back there was a business card from the perverts business that a barber or someone else said was Jaycee and that was not really her either..the other girl on the business card had really blonde hair and was all glamored up if I remember right..wonder who that girl was ? very attractive as well...

There was also another photo of a girl who was kidnapped in another country and people thought it was Jaycee and it was proven by (Mere) that it wasn't her.
Calimode
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1133 on: October 14, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »

This one: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/09/01/timestopics/dugard-395.jpg
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1134 on: October 14, 2009, 10:33:22 PM »

No this is not her.  It was the other woman who was kidnapped from another country.
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1135 on: October 14, 2009, 10:35:31 PM »

“Her captor was her primary relationship, and the father of her two children, and at some level separation may be difficult for all of them,” said Douglas F. Goldsmith, executive director of the Children’s Center in Salt Lake City. Dr. Goldsmith added that any therapy “has to be mindful that there are three victims, not one, and that they will be entering a new life together.”

About two-thirds of children who are kidnapped or abused suffer lingering mental problems, most often symptoms of post-traumatic stress and depression.

Recent studies have found that about 80 percent of victims do show significant improvement in mood after three to four months of trauma-focused weekly therapy. Still, given the information available so far, experts say Ms. Dugard and her two children face an unusually complex task.

Her stepfather, Carl Probyn, says she has already told her mother of feeling guilt that she bonded with the man who kidnapped her when she was 11. She and her children will have to learn to connect with and trust her first family, the one from which she was taken in 1991.

“The way I think about this case is that it is an extreme version of a phenomenon that is really not that uncommon: a child engaged in an abusive relationship when young and, not knowing any better, coming to accept it as their life, adapting as best they can,” said Lucy Berliner, director of the trauma program at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. “Certainly every case is different, but we now have some proven interventions we can use.”

Therapists say Ms. Dugard’s transition to a new life is likely to take some time, probably years. Elisabeth Fritzl, the Austrian woman held in a dungeon by her father for 24 years, has reportedly undergone extensive therapy and still struggles mentally, 16 months after she was freed.

And Shawn Hornbeck, abducted in Missouri at age 11 in 2002 and held captive for four years, told reporters nearly two years after being freed that he was still learning to cope with the emotional effects.

By contrast, Elizabeth Smart, the young woman in Utah who was kidnapped at age 14 in 2002 and held for nine months, is now reportedly doing well, a student at Brigham Young University. When she was reunited with her family, she told CNN last week, “we just spent time as a family, which was like — it was the best thing I could have done.”

The main challenge in all such cases, experts say, is breaking the bond with the captor and abuser. David Wolfe, a professor of psychology and psychiatry at the University of Toronto, has studied victims and some perpetrators of long-term abusive relationships.

In these cases, as in many kidnappings, perpetrators work hard to win the trust of their victims. “It’s a common element,” Dr. Wolfe said. “The child is frightened, and the perpetrator works to gain or regain the child’s confidence, to come across as a really good person: ‘I’m not going to hurt you, everything’s going to be O.K.’ and so on.

“So the child never knows when to fight or run,” he continued. “Do I wait and it’ll get worse? Or do I believe him and I won’t be hurt?”

Humans are wired to form social bonds, and such scraps of kindness can deepen even a relationship built on manipulation and abuse. Some victims have profoundly ambivalent feelings toward abusive captors, psychologists say, and tend to do better when they acknowledge their mixed feelings. Thinking of the perpetrator as a monster feels unfair; on the other hand, it would be wrong to call him merely misguided.

Once victims have shaken the influence of a perpetrator and re-established trust with loved ones, they can better learn through therapy how to ease the impact of their ordeal, said John A. Fairbank, a professor of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences at Duke and co-director of the U.C.L.A.-Duke University National Center for Child Traumatic Stress.

The most rigorously tested therapy is called trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy. In weekly sessions over three to four months, people learn how to examine and refute suspect assumptions about their ordeal. One of the most common of these is “I can’t trust anyone anymore.” Another is “It’s my fault I didn’t resist more.”

“Of course it is not their fault, and we communicate that,” said Dr. Berliner, the Seattle therapist. “But at the same time, in many cases they did go along, they did make decisions not to fight or run, and we help people examine why they made those decisions — to understand that judging themselves harshly in retrospect might not be fair to the child they were in that moment.”

Typically, people in trauma-focused therapy also learn methods to regulate the strength of their emotions. These methods include simple breathing and relaxation techniques, as well as mindfulness, an exercise in allowing an emotion to take hold and pass without acting on it.

Finally, victims often work with the therapist to build a narrative, oral or written, of the entire ordeal, then file it as a chapter of their lives rather than the entire story. If appropriate, they may also “relive” the experience multiple times until its emotional power wanes. This approach is not for everyone — it seems to make some people more distraught — but experts say it can be helpful in some patients.

So far, Jaycee Dugard seems to be doing just as her fellow abductee Ms. Smart advised: staying with family, keeping herself and her children away from public scrutiny. Those are good instincts, therapists say.

“It’s not like resilience is out of the question in a case like this,” said Dr. Judith A. Cohen, medical director of the Center for Traumatic Stress in Children and Adolescents at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. “In a lot of kidnapping cases, people do remarkably well, and this woman has already shown amazing survival skills.

“That she managed to survive for so long suggests that she might do well in the years to come.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/health/01psych.html?_r=1

The picture on the right appears to be of another young lady who was held hostage in Austria.  Her name is Natascha Kampusch.  There is a great deal of information available if you google her name.  She was also taken on her way to school.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/23/kampusch-kidnap-austria

BUMP
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #1136 on: October 14, 2009, 11:11:55 PM »

Thanks San and Klaas for bringing the People article here!  I knew when I saw the story on GMA that you two would come through!   

Jaycee's beautiful, and she's done a great job with her daughters; don't know if it's been mentioned but I heard in the story this morning that they have tested at grade level.  Remarkable considering how they were living. 

God bless them!   an angelic monkey

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Tibrogargan
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1137 on: October 15, 2009, 02:33:55 AM »

Thank you to Klaas and San for bringing the article and photgraphs here as some of us are unable to obtain these magazines.

What a beautiful young woman Jaycee is and how wonderful to know that she and her daughters are fitting so well back into their rightful family.  God bless all of them.

....And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars..  A.B (Banjo) Paterson
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1138 on: October 15, 2009, 08:36:42 PM »

Thank you to Klaas and San for bringing the article and photgraphs here as some of us are unable to obtain these magazines.

What a beautiful young woman Jaycee is and how wonderful to know that she and her daughters are fitting so well back into their rightful family.  God bless all of them.

Hi Tib, good to see you.

I agree that Jaycee is a beautiful young woman and I'm happy to see she is adjusting.  Thank god she has her mom and sister to help her and also her step father.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1139 on: October 17, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »

October 18, 2009

Back-to-school plan brings kidnapped Jaycee out of the shadows

APART from missing her family, Jaycee Lee Dugard, the Californian girl imprisoned by a religious zealot in his garden for 18 years, regarded the loss of her school days as her greatest impairment.

She is planning to spend the proceeds from a forthcoming book about her ordeal on an educational trust so she and her two teenage children can catch up on their schooling.

Last week, following the publication of the first new pictures of Dugard, 29, since she was snatched off a street in 1991, the young mother was said to be summoning the courage to put herself and her girls into mainstream education.

Dugard will need a personal tutor to prepare herself for college, a family friend said, but Angel, 15, and Starlit, 11, could take up places in a private school next year.

The three are considering changing their names from those given by Phillip and Nancy Garrido, who are in jail facing multiple kidnap and sexual assault charges, to something “less well known and more personal”, said the friend.

According to People magazine, the family are living near where they were held and learning “to be together again”.

“I’m so happy to be back,” Dugard was quoted as saying.

The magazine has declined to reveal how much it paid for the pictures of Dugard with her daughters, who were allegedly fathered by her kidnapper.

Last week an animal shelter confirmed that the girls had been reunited with most of the 12 pets that lived with them in their backyard encampment of ramshackle sheds and tents in Antioch, northern California.

“The five cats have been reclaimed and the three cockatoos, a pigeon and a pet mouse have gone to friends and family,” said the Martinez Animal Shelter. “We are still looking for homes for three dogs.”

The animals were a rare source of companionship and education for the trio — most of the books found scattered around the encampment were animal stories or pet manuals. Reuniting the girls with their pets is a significant step towards healing their psychological wounds, say experts.

Dugard’s mother, Terry Probyn, 50, is writing a book about her experience of the “missing” years, during which she organised searches and poster campaigns to find her child.

The book, which will be published by a division of Random House next spring, will include a foreword by Dugard. But the publisher hopes that, after the legal system has dealt with the Garridos, she may write her own account of life at Walnut Avenue, the Garridos’ home.

The publisher, Broadway, has agreed to place some royalties from Probyn’s still untitled book into a fund to benefit all three captives.

Police believed that at the age of 11, Dugard was targeted by Garrido because his wife Nancy was infertile and he wanted “God’s innocent vessel” to produce children.

In 1991, Dugard was walking towards a school bus stop when a car pulled up beside her and a woman bundled her into the back. The male driver accelerated away from her stepfather, Carl Probyn, who had tried to chase them on a bicycle.

Investigators say the girl was driven 170 miles to the Garridos’ bungalow and initially locked in a chicken shed.

Garrido, 58, who was on probation for sexually assaulting a woman in 1976, was sent back to jail for three years in the 1990s but his wife kept Dugard prisoner, allegedly using her babies as hostages to prevent her from escaping. For many years Dugard told the children she was their sister.

Dugard is believed to have listened to advice from Elizabeth Smart, the 14-year-old Utah girl kidnapped from her bedroom in 2002 and found nine months later.

“Jaycee must enjoy the present, focus on the future, and put the past back into the trash where it belongs — and also go on holiday a lot,” said the fellow survivor.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6879354.ece#

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.