April 28, 2024, 12:19:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jaycee Dugard kidnapped 18 years ago So Lake Tahoe, CA FOUND ALIVE / 2 arrested  (Read 471322 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1200 on: February 11, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »

Read the court documents in the Garrido case

http://garrido.eldoradocourt.org/docs/phillip/20100211-Mot-Re-PeoOpposition.pdf
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1201 on: February 11, 2010, 03:56:05 PM »

PLACERVILLE, Calif. (CBS13) ― New court documents reveal that Jaycee Lee Dugard wants nothing to do with her alleged captors, Phillip and Nancy Garrido. The documents also reveal some of Jaycee's journal entries during her time in captivity.

The Garridos are accused of kidnapping Dugard when she was 11-year-old and holding her captive for 18 years.

The documents were filed in response to a motion filed by Philip Garrido's lawyer, Susan Gellman, to know where Dugard is living. Gellman also asked to know the name of all attorneys representing Dugard.

El Dorado District Attorney Vern Pierson, says in court documents he filed today, that Dugard opposes any contact with Garrido. The documents also outline an elaborate plan by Garrido to keep in contact with Dugard if he were ever arrested. According to the documents, Jaycee was to "request an attorney so that his attorney and her attorney could communicate without law enforcement knowledge".

Pierson says Jaycee has emphatically stated that she does not want any contact with the Garridos, and that she wants her privacy protected.

In the request for visitation, Gellman claimed that Jaycee and her two daughters fathered by Phillip Garrido were a "family", and said they took vacations together and kept pets.

In opposition to the request for visitation, the District Attorney goes into detail, painting a picture of Garrido as a manipulator who tried to gain control over Jaycee. The DA provided examples from Jaycee's journal during her captivity to make his point.

On July 16, 1993 Jaycee wrote: "I got (a cat) for my birthday from Phil and Nancy...they did something for me that no one else would do for me, they paid 200 dollars just so I could have my own kitten."

The DA also provided more examples of what he called Garrido's control over Jaycee. On Sept. 5, 2003 Jaycee wrote: "I don't want to hurt him....sometimes I think my very presence hurts him...so how can I ever tell him how I want to be free. Free to come and go as I please...Free to say I have a family. I will never cause him pain if it's in my power to prevent it. FREE."

And on July 5, 2004 Jaycee wrote: "It feels like I'm sinking. I'm afraid I want control of my life...this is supposed to be my life to do with what I like...but once again he has taken it away. How many times is he allowed to take it away from me? I am afraid he doesn't see how the things he says makes me a prisoner...Why don't I have control of my life! I feel I can't even be sure my thoughts are my own..."

The DA not only opposes any contact with the Garridos or giving them Jaycee's whereabouts, he is also asking for an immediate protective order. Pierson says he believes the protective order is necessary to protect Jaycee and her daughters from "further acts of harassment". He also believes that "intimidation or dissuasion of, a victim or witness has occurred or is reasonably likely to occur."

Phillip Garrido's attorney has also asked for the video and photos taken during law enforcement interviews of Jacyee and her daughters. The District Attorney says the defense already has transcripts of the interviews and has made "reasonable accommodations" for the defense to have access to the videos.

Although by law, the District Attorney will have to give the names and addresses of potential witness to the defense 30 day prior to trial, he says there is no "good cause" for him to do so now. Pierson also says, at this time, he does not plan to call either of Jaycee's girls as witnesses.

http://cbs13.com/local/jaycee.journal.entries.2.1488268.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1202 on: February 11, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »

Court Records Reveal Dugard Journal Entries
El Dorado District Attorney Asks For Protective Order

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- New court documents obtained by KCRA 3 reveal new, chilling details about Jaycee Dugard's life in captivity at the hands of alleged kidnappers Phillip and Nancy Garrido.

The motion filed Thursday includes journal entries by Dugard, including one from July 5, 2004, in which she wrote: "It feels like I'm sinking. I'm afraid I want control of my life...this is supposed to be my life to do with what I like...but once again he has taken it away. How many times is he allowed to take it away from me? I'm afraid he doesn't see how the things he says makes me a prisoner."

The Garridos are accused of kidnapping and raping Dugard, whose 1991 abduction in Meyers and eventual discovery last year in the Bay Area have generated international media attention. Phillip Garrido is also accused of fathering two girls with Dugard.

The El Dorado County district attorney filed Thursday's motion opposing a motion last week by Phillip Garrido's attorney, public defender Susan Gellman. Gellman had called upon the El Dorado County district attorney to provide photos of Dugard's daughters and videos of interviews with the girls.

The defense attorneys want the court to compel the district attorney to tell them where Dugard is living so they can talk with her to prepare for their clients' defense.

Read: Latest Court Documents

The motion from the defense claims the Garridos, Dugard and her two daughters acted as a family in recent years.

"They took vacations together; they went to the library together; they ran a family business together," the defense motion said. "The children home schooled. They kept pets and had a garden. They took care of ailing family members together. They had special names for each other."

However, the district attorney's motion paints a different picture. According to the district attorney, Dugard has stated she does not want any contact with the defendants or their attorneys. She further wants his office to enforce her constitutional rights under a 2008 Victims' Rights Law known as Marsy's Law and to protect her privacy, prosecutors said.

The district attorney is also seeking a protective order for Dugard.

Dugard never left the Garridos' back yard for four years, according to Thursday's court documents. Prosecutors also claim she was kept in structures in the back yard for one and a half years.

Gellman said what she's been seeking to do is "a matter of routine" in a criminal case.

"For the District Attorney to hint that it is somehow improper or nefarious is disingenuous to say the least," Gellman wrote in a statement.

http://www.kcra.com/mostpopular/22533949/detail.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1203 on: February 11, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:17:24 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1204 on: February 11, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »

New court documents show Jaycee Dugard wants nothing to do with Garridos

PLACERVILLE, CA - In new court documents just released in the Jaycee Dugard kidnapping case, the El Dorado County District Attorney's Office provides a glimpse into Dugard's journal while she was held captive in the backyard of Phillip and Nancy Garrido.

"I am afraid he doesn't see how the things he says makes me a prisoner . . .  Why don't I have control of my life!" Dugard wrote in an entry from 2004.

The excerpts were released as the district attorney's office filed a motion Thursday opposing several requests made by defense attorneys for Phillip and Nancy Garrido.

In the filing made to El Dorado County Superior Court, Deputy District Attorney James Clinchard opposed a defense motion to allow Phillip and Nancy Garrido to visit each other and motions for discovery. People Opposition to Visitation

Clinchard also filed a request for a protection order to prevent the Garridos from requesting visitation with Jaycee Dugard and her daughters, who were fathered by Phillip Garrido. Protective Order

Defense lawyers for both Garridos have made requests to learn Dugard's whereabouts, as well as obtain videotaped interviews with her and the children.

In their motion, defense lawyers wrote the information should be released because "they took vacations  . . .  went to the library  . . .  ran a family business  . . .  children were home schooled  . . .   kept pets and had a garden  . . .  took care of an ailing family member  . . .  (and) had special names for each other."

Clinchard defended his motion to oppose discovery by taking excerpts from Jaycee's journal, attempting to prove Phillip Garrido's control over her.

An excerpt from September 5, 2003 read, "I don't want to hurt him  . . .  sometimes I think my very presence hurts him  . . .  so how can I ever tell him how I want to be free. Free to come and go as I please  . . . Free to say I have a family. I will never cause him pain if it's in my power to prevent it. FREE."

Clinchard cited another journal entry from July 5, 2004:  "It feels like I'm sinking. I'm afraid I want control of my life . . . this is supposed to be my life to do with what I like . . . but once again he has taken it away. How many times is he allowed to take it away from me? I am afraid he doesn't see how the things he says makes me a prisoner . . . Why don't I have control of my life! I feel I can't even be sure my thoughts are my own." (Emphasis in original)

Clinchard cited a third journal entry from July 16, 1993 to establish Garrido's attempt to gain trust and control over Dugard:  "I got [a cat] for my birthday from Phil and Nancy . . . they did something for me that no one else would do for me, they paid 200 dollars just so I could have my own kitten."

The motions are scheduled to be heard in court on Feb. 26.

The Garridos, accused of holding Dugard prisoner for 18 years, face 28 charges each of kidnapping, rape, and false imprisonment.

Phillip Garrido's attorney responds

Susan Gellman, the public defender representing Phillip Garrido, issued to the following written statement in response to the prosecution's motions:

"I am an officer of the court sworn to do my job. Part of that job in every criminal case is investigation and contacting the witnesses to determine what has happened and what their take on a proper resolution would be. This is a criminal case, albeit a serious one, and what I have been seeking to do is, to a great extent, a matter of routine. For the District Attorney to hint that it is somehow improper or nefarious is disingenuous to say the least. I am an attorney doing my job to uphold the legal system in this country, of which I am very proud. I am not the "tool" of any man. Mr. Pierson (District Attorney Vern Pierson) should know better."

MORE...

http://www.news10.net/news/article.aspx?storyid=75129&provider=top&catid=188
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1205 on: February 12, 2010, 12:01:17 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/02/jaycee-dugards-diary-entries-offer-insight-into-her-captivity.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lanowblog+%28L.A.+Now%29
Jaycee Dugard's diary entries offer insight into her captivity
February 12, 2010 |  7:27 am
Excerpts from a diary kept by a woman held captive for 18 years in Northern California were filed in court this week, providing insights into Jaycee Dugard's mental state as she was kept prisoner.

Prosecutors cited the diary entries when seeking a protective order that would bar her alleged captor, Phil Garrido and his wife Nancy, from contacting Dugard and the woman's children fathered by Garrido. Garrido faces kidnapping, rape and other charges.

Dugard was grabbed from outside South Lake Tahoe home in 1991.

Here are some excerpts from the diary from the Associated Press. They show Dugard's fears as well as her need to protect Garrido:

1994: "I got (a cat) for my birthday from Phil and Nancy ... they did something for me that no one else would do for me, they paid 200 dollars just so I could have my own kitten."

2004:  "I don't want to hurt (Garrido)  ... sometimes I think my very presence hurts him," she wrote. "So how can I ever tell him how I want to be free. Free to come and go as I please ... Free to say I have a family. I will never cause him pain if it's in my power to prevent it. FREE."

2004: "It feels like I'm sinking. ... this is supposed to be my life to do with what I like ... but once again he has taken it away. "How many times is he allowed to take it away from me?" she wrote. "I am afraid he doesn't see how the things he says makes me a prisoner."

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1206 on: February 26, 2010, 06:36:13 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35607056/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Dugard, family file claims against Calif.
Cite 'lapses' by state officials in handling of her alleged kidnapper

ANTIOCH, Calif. - Jaycee Dugard and her family have taken the first step to sue the state of California for lapses officials made while she and her daughters were allegedly held captive by a convicted sex offender.

Dugard, her two daughters and her mother, Terry Probyn, have each filed claim forms against the Department of Corrections, Rachel Wall, a spokeswoman for the state's Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board, said Friday.

Dugard's spokeswoman, Nancy Seltzer, said the family members haven't decided whether they'll file a lawsuit.

"We are simply preserving Jaycee Dugard's right to file a lawsuit at a later date, if that is something she decides is in her family's best interest," Seltzer said.

By law, victims have six months from the time of the incident to file a personal injury claim against the state. Dugard was found in August.

The forms do not ask for a specific dollar amount, only saying damages exceed $25,000.

A messages left with the Santa Monica, Calif.-based attorney listed on the claims, Dale Kinsella, was not immediately returned.

Mistakes in monitoring
Prosecutors say Dugard was kidnapped from outside her South Lake Tahoe home in 1991 by Phillip and Nancy Garrido, then taken to Antioch, Calif., where she lived with two daughters fathered by Phillip Garrido in a ramshackle backyard compound.

Phillip Garrido had been under parole supervision because of a 1977 conviction for raping a 25-year-old woman. He was released from prison in 1988 and placed under federal supervision until 1999, when California took over.

According to an investigation by the Office of Inspector General, mistakes in how California monitored Garrido began right away. Among them, he was wrongly classified as a low-risk offender, which meant looser controls on him, and one agent did not try to confirm the identity of a young girl he saw at the house while on a visit, instead trusting Garrido's claim that she was his niece.

The secretary of the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Matthew Cate, has acknowledged serious errors in the handling of the case.

The Garridos have been charged with raping and abducting Dugard. They have pleaded not guilty and have an appearance in El Dorado County Superior Court later Friday on defense motions to allow them to visit each other in jail.

Their lawyers also want contact information for Dugard and permission from the court to communicate with her. Prosecutors oppose the motion.
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1207 on: March 05, 2010, 12:23:53 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/TheLaw/jaycee-dugard-home-video-kidnap-survivor-speaks-time/story?id=10009310

Jaycee Dugard Exclusive: 'It's Been a Long Haul'
Jaycee Dugard Speaks for the First Time in Exclusive Home Video
By ALAN B. GOLDBERG and SARAH NETTER
March 5, 2010

The home video shows a portrait of a healing family -- a mother and her two daughters baking cookies, riding horses and laughing together.

It's the first glimpse at the freedom kidnap survivor Jaycee Dugard has enjoyed since her rescue last summer from the backyard lair where she was held captive for nearly two decades.

"Hi I'm Jaycee. I want to thank you for your support and I'm doing well," Dugard said in her first public statement since the arrest of her alleged captors. She is seated, dressed in a black shirt and jeans and a pink baseball cap, and feeding two spaniels.

"It's been a long haul," she said, "but I'm getting there."

See the exclusive home video on "20/20" tonight at 9 p.m. ET

Dugard, her mother Terry Probyn and the two daughters Dugard gave birth to in captivity -- believed to have been fathered by suspect Phillip Garrido -- have been living in a secret location in California since late summer.

The home video first shows Dugard, her 19-year-old half-sister Shayna and Probyn decorating Christmas cookies. They listen as their mother talks about the recipe they used.

At one point, they all laugh as Shayna makes a mistake decorating her cookie.

"I've never gotten to decorate a cookie before," she said.

In another Christmas scene, the trio sits by a roaring fireplace under their Christmas stockings

a short vid at link

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1208 on: March 05, 2010, 03:23:14 PM »

I will be watching 20/20 tonight..

why did the mother make such a point of letting us, the public know that they had excepted money from a benefactor...? has that been an issue? I don't remember hearing about it, nor do I think that she nor Jaycee owe us an explanation on that issue...does anyone else have an opinion on that..?

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1209 on: March 05, 2010, 04:15:58 PM »

<a href="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/4ae8d36a3102598f/4b9173aa32ea83a7/4b910b22e2343469/3f26c5c7/-cpid/f29f110d3555f0a9&quot; id=&quot;W4ae8d36a3102598f4b9173aa32ea83a7&quot; width=&quot;332&quot; height=&quot;300" target="_blank">http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/4ae8d36a3102598f/4b9173aa32ea83a7/4b910b22e2343469/3f26c5c7/-cpid/f29f110d3555f0a9&quot; id=&quot;W4ae8d36a3102598f4b9173aa32ea83a7&quot; width=&quot;332&quot; height=&quot;300</a>
Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1210 on: March 05, 2010, 05:47:33 PM »

why did the mother make such a point of letting us, the public know that they had excepted money from a benefactor...? has that been an issue? I don't remember hearing about it, nor do I think that she nor Jaycee owe us an explanation on that issue...does anyone else have an opinion on that..?

Hi Cookie---I'm not sure why, but a church in Northern California had claimed to be supporting them.  Apparently they are not and some other "Undisclosed benefactor" has been.  I think she just wanted to make it clear that the church has nothing to do with it.  Maybe the "Undisclosed benefactor" took some exception to the church claiming they were supporting them.

The only reason I can think of for them to make this video and be on TV tonight is that the church has made false claims and they want to be sure that the benefactor whoever he/she/it is eventually get the credit.  The world mostly had gone on to other things and not even mentioning them much anymore.  Maybe ABC is the benefactor.

A couple of nights ago I said that I thought Jaycee's mother was on the JVM show, although I just caught the end of it.  It wasn't she.  It was the woman who had been kidnapped and raped and taken to a storage building some years ago.  Sorry.
It is inexplicable to me that Garrido wants to talk to Jaycee about "Family matters" now.  I hope his lawyers never get Jaycee's address, which they are trying to do.  This story is so disgusting that it is a miracle that Jaycee survived it.  I think it's a testiment to her strength of character. 

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1211 on: March 05, 2010, 08:13:12 PM »

Hi Cookie---I'm not sure why, but a church in Northern California had claimed to be supporting them.  Apparently they are not and some other "Undisclosed benefactor" has been.  I think she just wanted to make it clear that the church has nothing to do with it.  Maybe the "Undisclosed benefactor" took some exception to the church claiming they were supporting them.

The only reason I can think of for them to make this video and be on TV tonight is that the church has made false claims and they want to be sure that the benefactor whoever he/she/it is eventually get the credit.  The world mostly had gone on to other things and not even mentioning them much anymore.  Maybe ABC is the benefactor.

A couple of nights ago I said that I thought Jaycee's mother was on the JVM show, although I just caught the end of it.  It wasn't she.  It was the woman who had been kidnapped and raped and taken to a storage building some years ago.  Sorry.
It is inexplicable to me that Garrido wants to talk to Jaycee about "Family matters" now.  I hope his lawyers never get Jaycee's address, which they are trying to do.  This story is so disgusting that it is a miracle that Jaycee survived it.  I think it's a testiment to her strength of character. 

thanks Baby for answering the question that I had..
makes sense how you explained it..
I caught something else that Jaycee's mom said too...about the media and the press leaving them alone until they were ready etc...I agree with you that the world has gone onto other things and they are hardly ever mentioned so it surprised me that she came out with the video and made this announcement...it isn't like the press is still chasing them around or anything from what I have seen.....seemed odd to me that it is coming out now out of the blue...imo....

Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1212 on: March 05, 2010, 11:38:52 PM »

thanks Baby for answering the question that I had..
makes sense how you explained it..
I caught something else that Jaycee's mom said too...about the media and the press leaving them alone until they were ready etc...I agree with you that the world has gone onto other things and they are hardly ever mentioned so it surprised me that she came out with the video and made this announcement...it isn't like the press is still chasing them around or anything from what I have seen.....seemed odd to me that it is coming out now out of the blue...imo....

Me too, Cookie.  I am puzzled by it.

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1213 on: March 06, 2010, 10:45:10 AM »

clips
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/jaycee-rebuild-family-bonds-10017801

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1214 on: March 06, 2010, 12:36:37 PM »

No opinion, but I thought it was odd.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1215 on: March 20, 2010, 09:16:02 AM »

Garrido cleared in 2 old cases
Associated Press • March 20, 2010

The man charged with kidnapping Jaycee Lee Dugard and holding her captive for 18 years has been ruled out as a suspect in two unsolved murder cases involving children in Reno, police said.

Meanwhile, California parole officials announced Friday they have ordered increased monitoring of all sex offenders, largely because of mistakes made in the Dugard case.

Phillip Garrido was cleared of the Reno cases after investigators looked for similarities between the cases and Garrido's alleged method of operation in the Dugard case, Reno police Lt. Mike Whan said.

Dugard resurfaced last August in Northern California after being abducted near her school bus stop in South Lake Tahoe in 1991 at the age of 11.

The cold cases eyed by Reno detectives included the 1989 murders of two children who vanished near their school bus stop.

Investigators searched records on microfiche, contacted retired investigators and sought other physical evidence such as DNA, Whan said.

"We were just looking for facts and everything came to a dead end. There was nothing," Whan told the Associated Press.

The unsolved cases occurred within two years after Garrido was paroled from a Nevada prison in 1988 after serving time for the 1976 kidnapping and sexual assault of a 25-year-old woman while he lived in Reno.

One of the Reno cases involved siblings Jennifer and Charles Chia, who were kidnapped on a 100-yard walk from a bus stop to their home in 1989. The remains of Jennifer, 6, and Charles, 7, were found nine months later about 60 miles northwest of Reno.

In the other case, 7-year-old Monica DaSilva was taken from her bedroom as she slept in 1990. Her remains were found three weeks later.

Investigators found it interesting that no similar child abductions had occurred in Reno since then. But they have no suspects in either cold case, Whan said.

"It's very frustrating. You get information where you think this might be the one, and you follow it until it goes nowhere, and then you start looking for another suspect," Whan said.

Garrido and his wife Nancy Garrido have pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and sexual assault charges in the Dugard case.

New California policy

After recent high-profile lapses, most notably in the Dugard case, California parole officials said Friday they have ordered increased monitoring of all sex offenders.

The new policy requires parole agents to more closely track the movements of offenders using GPS-linked ankle bracelets.

It also requires agents to visit high-risk sex offenders at their homes twice a month, up from just one monthly visit.

"We basically have higher level tracking not only on high-risk sex offenders but even on low-risk sex offenders," said Gordon Hinkle, spokesman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. "This is basically areas that we felt needed improvement."

The policy changes are a response to a report in November from the department's inspector general that criticized it for missing chances to catch Garrido.

"Public safety is of paramount importance," Margarita Perez, deputy director of the department's Division of Adult Parole Operations, said in the policy memo distributed to parole agents on Thursday.

The new policy requires increased use of GPS tracking of those considered less likely to re-offend.

Forty lower-risk offenders are supervised by each parole agent, compared to 20 high-risk offenders per agent.

Melinda Silva, president of the Parole Agents Association of California, predicted the increased workload will overwhelm agents charged with tracking the movements of 40 sex offenders.

"We need to get them to 20-to-one," she said. "If they want to improve supervision, they've got to reduce caseload."

http://www.rgj.com/article/20100320/NEWS/3200335/1321/news/Garrido-cleared-in-2-old-cases
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 09:33:34 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1216 on: April 17, 2010, 09:37:36 AM »

New details emerge of Garrido parole supervision

For nearly a year after Phillip Garrido was put on supervised parole in California in 1999, parole agents never bothered to visit him at home.

They did not perform the standard parolee interview, assess him or check his living arrangements, as is routine.

And although GPS monitoring showed he was spending large amounts of time in his Antioch-area backyard, there's no evidence parole agents ever investigated why.

That yard is where authorities say he kept Jaycee Lee Dugard captive for 18 years after allegedly kidnapping her in 1991 when she was 11.

The new details of Garrido's supervision are contained in 36 pages of records released Friday in response to a suit filed and paid for by The Bee.

The records, the second set turned over by state corrections officials because of the lawsuit, illustrate how cavalierly Garrido, a convicted rapist and kidnapper, was watched.

Though parole agents spent little time with Garrido in those early years, they concluded they knew enough about him to declare him "a suitable candidate for discharge from state parole supervision," the records state.

In the days after Dugard was found with Garrido last August, corrections officials defended their supervision. But an internal review, done after the case broke open, found serious problems with the way his parole was handled.

The full picture of that supervision is not available because a year's worth of documents from his file are missing. But the records provided show he failed drug tests and disappeared at times.

For the first eight years after Dugard was abducted, Garrido was under the control of federal parole agents for a 1977 kidnapping. In that case, Garrido abducted a woman near South Lake Tahoe, took her to a Reno storage shed and repeatedly raped her.

He won early release in 1988, and was put on federal parole. Records released to The Bee on Friday by the U.S. Parole Commission show agents had high hopes for him.

"Before you lies the opportunity to plan and re-establish the course of your life toward goals approved by society and in accordance with the principles of good citizenship," the records, released to The Bee under the Freedom of Information Act, read in part.

The records show federal agents commended Garrido when they discharged him from their supervision in 1999, writing, "I want to thank you for your cooperation over this period of supervision and I hope that you will continue to do well."

That was when state parole agents took over.

He started his California parole on June 8, 1999, but agents did not visit his home until May 8, 2000, the state documents indicate.

From June 1999 through December 2000, "parole staff visited Garrido at home three times, visited him at the office eight times, spoke with him twice by telephone, drug tested him six times and received five monthly reports by mail," the state's internal review found.

"Staff should have visited Garrido at home 14 times and at the office two times, and should have drug tested him 16 times. Garrido also should have been ordered to attend parole outpatient treatment, but was not ordered to do so until November 2007," according to the review.

The documents note that parole agents "considered Garrido a suitable candidate for discharge from state parole supervision," apparently because of the commendations from federal agents.

Eight months after their arrest, Garrido and his wife, Nancy, remain in the El Dorado County jail awaiting trial. Dugard, who bore two daughters to Garrido during her captivity, is in seclusion.

State officials refused to divulge records on their supervision until Sacramento Superior Court Judge Pat Marlette ordered the release in response to The Bee's suit, which was joined by the San Francisco Chronicle and Channel 3 (KCRA).

The records show Garrido was given a sex offender risk assessment on Jan. 25, 2001, and "the department determined that Garrido poses a low risk." The determination was made despite department policy that says only parolees with "non sexual" criminal histories can merit a low rating.

It's not clear whether agents visited Garrido at all in 2001 because "from June 14, 2001, to June 11, 2002, the records of supervision are missing altogether," the documents state.

The sporadic supervision continued until 2007, when agents began to pay closer attention to Garrido, the records show. They do not address the reason for the change.

On April 14, 2008, Garrido was fitted with a GPS monitoring device. The internal review found that when the GPS tracks were viewed on a satellite map it was obvious Garrido "was frequently present in the rear portion of his backyard, where Jaycee Dugard was allegedly kept."

"The parole file does not indicate whether a parole agent ever elected to use the satellite view of the Google map and zoom in on Garrido's residence to such detail that Garrido's travel around the rear portion of his back yard would have been apparent," the documents state.

"The sample review also suggests that Garrido's GPS signal was frequently unavailable without explanation for parts of the day."

Corrections officials have not disclosed whether anyone was disciplined over the Garrido case, but say they have made numerous improvements in parole supervision.

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/04/17/2685242/new-details-emerge-of-garrido.html

piwannaberookie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1217 on: April 19, 2010, 03:06:47 AM »

New pictures including one that shows the opening between the two yards

http://extras.mercurynews.com/slideshows/news/2009/08/jaycee_dugard_0831/

Those were new.  That last one (#7) even shows how he made the fences taller and patched all holes.

That white van and that one huge stain in the shed they are thought to have been in haunt me from the prior pics.

Those pics remind me of a property a little over a mile away from my house that  is abandoned, lots of trash, broken up house with broken windows, the front door was wide open, there were syringes in pepsi cans, lots of bottles, wine bottles, margarita mixes, lots of bullet casings belonging to a winchester rifle, lots of knives, a shower that the faucet is leaking, and there is a trailer there that looks like someone is living in it, its a odd smelling like a smoker lived there, weird, yet scary place, I was in the house and it was just creepy and eerie, some people who were "farming" across the house on their lot were watching me collecting the cans and probably thought I was a thief. There were some other nasty things I won't mention  but I think it was a place where somebody was doing a lot of illegal things, and now they are arrested, or maybe not, there was no "no trespassing" sign and the gate was opened as if you were allowed to enter.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1218 on: June 16, 2010, 02:28:48 PM »

Kidnapping Victim Jaycee Dugard Calls Effort By Father to Contact 'Terror'
Kenneth Slayton Has Enlisted the Help of High-Profile Attorney Gloria Allred

9 comments By EMILY FRIEDMAN
June 16, 2010
Kidnap survivor Jaycee Dugard is now facing "terror" from another man, her biological father who ignored her for 29 years and is petitioning in court to establish his paternity.

A statement from Dugard's spokeswoman today said Dugard's mother has always admitted that Kenneth Slayton was Jaycee's father, but that he had repeatedly declined to be involved in her life, even after she was kidnapped in 1991 at the age of 11.

Dugard, who was held captive by Philip Garrido for 18 years, wasn't found until last year. She bore two children by Garrido and has lived reclusively with her mother and daughters since then.

According to a statement released today by family spokeswoman Nancy Seltzer, Dugard has expressed her feelings and has "no interest" in Slayton.

"She does not wish to see Mr. Slayton or his family at this time," reads the statement, adding, "DNA does not make a family!"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Broadcast/jaycee-dugard-shuts-biological-father-kenneth-slayton/story?id=10930464

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1219 on: June 17, 2010, 07:44:02 AM »

DNA does not make a family! I love that statement...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.