April 27, 2024, 01:11:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jaycee Dugard kidnapped 18 years ago So Lake Tahoe, CA FOUND ALIVE / 2 arrested  (Read 471210 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2009, 12:25:34 PM »

That doesn't even cover the suspicions surrounding the step father! There are so many victims at the hand of this SOB!
crazybabyborg
« Reply #241 on: August 28, 2009, 12:28:07 PM »

I just heard on Fox that this property had actually been searched in connection with the case but the secret backyard wasn't found.

Geez............
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #242 on: August 28, 2009, 12:30:27 PM »

Family, Community Rejoices As Dugard Turns Up Safe

<snipped>
Dugard's stepfather, Carl Probyn, who now lives in Southern California, said Thursday that Dugard's mother, Terry Probyn, called him Wednesday afternoon and told him the FBI had contacted her to say they may have found her daughter.

"I'm running around the house like I've had six cups of coffee," Probyn said Thursday morning.

At the time of the abduction, Dugard's family reported that a vehicle occupied by two people drove up to the girl and abducted her in view of her stepfather.

The girl was seen walking to a bus stop. As she walked, a gray, two-tone, late-model sedan was seen making a U-turn on the street.

The car approached the child and a woman described as about 30 years old with long, dark hair pulled her inside, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. A man was also seen in the car.

"As soon as I saw the door fly open, the driver's door, I jumped on my mountain bike and I tried to get to the top of the hill but I had no energy," Probyn recalled. "I rode back down and yelled at my neighbor, 911!"

Probyn said his wife, from whom he is separated, was devastated by the kidnapping. He said for 10 years after the crime, she would take a week off work at Christmas and on the anniversary of the abduction and spend the time crying at home.

Probyn eventually lost hope that he would ever see his stepdaughter alive. He said he was struggling to understand why Dugard didn't come forward earlier.

"I don't know if she was brainwashed, I don't know if she was walking around on the street, I don't know if she was locked up under key for 18 years, I have no idea."

The mother and daughter met Thursday morning at an area hotel. Dugard retains custody of her children, authorities said. A DNA test is being conducted to confirm her identity.

At the Lake Tahoe Unified School District, employees huddled around television sets and computers to watch the news conference. Their tears of joy that Jaycee was alive became tears of horror and anger when details of her abduction and long captivity were recounted by police.

"Oh my God," murmured Superintendent James Tarwater.

Resident Angie Keil said the Lake Tahoe community rallied around the family, holding candlelight vigils, and in the early days organizing searches.

"Jaycee has always been in our minds, all these years," she said, her eyes moist with tears.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/20600767/detail.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #243 on: August 28, 2009, 12:34:29 PM »

Kidnap victim, children go to hotel to begin new life

<snipped>
ANTIOCH, California (CNN) -- A woman who was kidnapped at age 11 and then spent 18 years living in her abductor's backyard was beginning the long process Friday of reuniting with her family.

A psychiatrist envisioned a slow and overwhelming adjustment for Jaycee Lee Dugard, who was kidnapped as her stepfather watched, helpless, in front of her house in South Lake Tahoe, California.

Dugard lived for the next 18 years in a shed and other outbuildings behind her abductor's house, where she gave birth to two girls that he fathered; the girls are now aged 11 and 15, police said.

Investigators accused a registered sex offender with kidnapping her and abusing her after police discovered Dugard on Wednesday, ending a mystery that had agonized Dugard's family.

"The last 18 years have been rough, but the last two days have been pretty good," her stepfather, Carl Probyn, told CNN's "American Morning" on Friday.

Authorities have jailed Phillip Garrido, 58, and his wife, 54-year-old Nancy Garrido, on numerous charges. An arraignment for the couple is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. PT (4 p.m. ET) in Placerville Superior Court in Placerville, California.

Dugard and her two children apparently rarely ventured out of their compound, hidden in the sex offender's backyard, investigators said. The children didn't go to school or to the doctor's office. Now they and their mother are being thrust into a strange new world.

"It would be a little like being a time traveler, of being introduced to a world you have no concept of," a forensic psychiatrist, Helen Morrison, told CNN. "You're going to be absolutely overwhelmed."

Dugard faces a change of identity -- she apparently was known as "Alissa" while living behind her captor's house -- and "has no idea what's out there," Morrison said. She may actually miss her captors because they apparently have been the center of her world for so long, she said.

"The only reality she has is the life that she's lived," Morrison said. "In her parent's mind," however, "she's still the 11-year-old girl."

Dugard's stepfather, Probyn, said witnessed her abduction of his 11-year-old stepdaughter in 1991 and told CNN on Friday that he's in shock that she's alive.

"It's kind of a shocker," he said. Her "youngest child is the same age as Jaycee when she was taken."

Probyn witnessed her abduction of his 11-year-old stepdaughter in 1991. He told CNN that he's in shock that she's alive.

"I did lose hope, but I'm coping," he said.

Dugard's mother, Terry Probyn, spoke with their daughter on Thursday, Carl Probyn said, and learned for that she had two daughters of her own. Probyn told CNN that he expects Dugard and her two children to come back to Southern California since "that's where we all live," but it was not immediately clear whether and when that would happen.

Probyn said he's angry at Phillip Garrido, the registered sex offender that police have charged, along with his wife, in the case.

"It's just sick," he said. "It benefited him but destroyed everybody else. That's pretty sick."

Garrido apparently maintained a blog in which he claimed to control sound with his mind. The blog now has numerous profanity-laced responses from people outraged over his alleged actions.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.missing.girl/
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2009, 12:34:38 PM »

I had such a fear that perhaps Jaycee might not bond with her mom and might feel anger towards her, when I read that wasn't the case at all, I just got so happy.  an angelic monkey I'm sure Jaycee's mom doesn't ever want her and the two grandchildren to ever be out of her sight.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2009, 12:40:51 PM »

I'm not a violent or cruel person, but I could throw the switch on this guy. When I think of what this child went through, from plucking her from her family and the trauma that would accompany just that to the rapes and God knows what else, yep, I could throw the switch on this guy and I could watch him fry.

I'll bet his children were also sexually abused.

It's going to take a long time and lots of help for Jaycee to be able to move beyond this long ordeal, and she'll have to work hard to ever be able to move past it. Part of the process will be a stage of real anger. I want them to restrain him and turn her and her Mother loose on him when that stage comes. Arm them with whatever they want and just turn them loose. Maybe they are more forgiving than I could manage, but that's what I would want. AFTER that, I could work on forgiveness for my own sake and my own healing.

I can tell you, I'd leave this SOB singing soprano.

A 11 year old who's life stopped as she knew it.  No first date, no homecoming, no school, dreams, or feeling special in that perfect outfit

A 15 year old who has never had a normal life.  No friends, no school, no reading or writing, skinning her knee while learning to ride a bike.

A 11 year old who has never had a normal life.  No friends, puppy to love, special tea party with stuffies, learing to swing, giggling late at night while being tickled.

A step-father who was accused of this and harboured his own guilt for 18 years, a ruined marriage.

A mother who broke down every year at the anniversary of Jaycee's kidnapping and birthday.

A sister who never knew her big sister, could only look at the room that was left as a shrine.

I think nothing you could do to this guy and his wife could come close to what he has caused for many for the last 18 years and for years to come.  Seriously the death penalty is too good for this guy.  Something long slow and painful would seem appropriate.

excellent points !
I had not thought about Jaycee being the very age when she was taken as her youngest daughter until you said it! Gosh...what a forehead slapper that was to me! never even thought of that!

also, I think that Gypsy said something about Jaycee being in that tent or building all by herself and hearing thunder and noises and being scared..I thought those same thoughts as well..this poor child..I only wish her much happiness and her family as well..Perhaps her mom and step dad will get back together now? I just saw a clip where the mom and the step dad were on Geraldo around 1993 I think.,.the mother is very beautiful...she never gave up hope on her daughter...Jaycee can look at all the articles and the news clips and see that her parents never gave up on her and I hope that gives her some comfort....also, Geraldo danced around the fact that he also had thought that the step dad was guilty....I suppose a natural response ..but the step dad had to live with this for all these years..being under suspicion...

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2009, 12:40:54 PM »

Jaycee Lee Dugard 'looks like she did when she was snatched', says mother

The parents of Jaycee Lee Dugard, the girl kidnapped nearly two decades ago and found alive in the US yesterday, said today that their daughter looks very similar to the day she was snatched aged 11.

Phillip Garrido, 58, a convicted rapist and sex offender, is being held on kidnapping and sex charges relating to the disappearance of Ms Dugard, who was snatched from a bus stop in 1991. His wife, Nancy Garrido, 54, was also arrested, and authorities have alleged that she was with Mr Garrido when Ms Dugard was kidnapped in South Lake Tahoe.

Ms Dugard, now 29, is also feeling guilty about bonding with her alleged kidnapper, according to Carl Probyn, her stepfather.

Mr Probyn, who witnessed the kidnap and was a long-term suspect in the case, had given up hope of ever finding Ms Dugard alive. He told Good Morning America today that becoming reaquainted was going to be challenging for all involved.

Ms Dugard has received no formal education since her kidnap and her two daughters, aged 11 and 15, fathered by her suspected abductor, have never been to school or visited the doctor. They have spent their lives in sheds in Antioch California.

"It's pretty sick," Mr Probyn said. "I feel sorry for Jaycee going through this. The way he's had her locked up in the backyard for basically 18 years."

The reappearance of Ms Dugard stunned America when the news broke yesterday – her kidnapping had caused a national media frenzy – but the elation soon turned to anguish when the horrific details of the abuse she has suffered became clear. Mr Garrido holds a previous conviction for kidnapping and rape but probabtion officers did not suspect he was keeping a hostage in his back garden.

Ms Dugard, who had been renamed Allissa, and her two daughters are now with her mother, Terry Probyn, in Northern California.

"My wife says that Jaycee looks good. She looks almost like when she was kidnapped," Mr Probyn said. "She looks very young. She doesn't look 29 at all. She feels really guilty for bonding with this man. There's really a guilt trip here."

Mr Garrido allegedly raped Ms Dugard and fathered two children with her, the first when his victim was about 14. After the abduction the Probyns' lives were devastated - the couple moved house and they were estranged.

"He's ruined our lives," Mr Probyn, 60, said of Mr Garrido. "Maybe changed his life but it sure screwed ours up. I have no compassion for this guy. He's just out in left field." He added that he hoped Mr Garrido spent the rest of his life behind bars.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6813972.ece
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2009, 12:46:19 PM »

How Could Neighbors and Cops Not Know Jaycee Was a Prisoner?
Jaycee Dugard's Sister Says Family Reunion 'Going Well'

<snipped>
As Jaycee Dugard gets to know her family again after 18 years in depraved captivity, new information is raising questions of how her ordeal went undetected for so long, despite at least two visits to the house of horror by law enforcement authorities in recent years.

Dugard, who is now 29 and the mother to two children fathered by her abductor, has been reunited with the mother she hasn't seen since she was snatched off a California street at the age of 11. Also at the reunion is her 19-year-old stepsister Shayna, who was 1 when Jaycee disappeared.

"As of this moment we are just reuniting and everything is going well," Shayna wrote in response to a question from ABC News on her MySpace page.

"Shes only 29. She has the rest of her life to live and I have a lot of love to share with my sister and new nieces. In due time my mom will make statements and so will I if needed, but you have to understand this time is critical and the media attention would just add stress to something so delicate."

The message ends with, "Thanks, Shayna."

Aerial photos show that the alleged kidnappers Phillip and Nancy Garridos had neighbors on either side of them and directly behind them. Nevertheless, the secret lives contained in that jumbled back yard of tents, sheds, an abandoned car and appliances remained hidden for nearly two decades.

Police twice knocked at the Garrido's door in the last two years, but didn't notice the secret lair of tents and sheds that allegedly held Jaycee – and later her two daughters – for 18 years.

Contra Costa County Capt. Daniel Terry told ABCNews.com today that authorities from the county's multi-agency task force had visited Garrido as part of routine compliance check, but did not offer any details regarding frequency or how thoroughly the property was checked.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported that the task force visited the Garrido's Antioch home last summer.

"There were zero signs of kids living there," Antioch Police St. Diane Aguinaga told the Chronicle, adding that authorities looked in the back but saw only a porch and shed.

El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar on Thursday confirmed that a parole officer had looked in the back, but said the secret yard was hidden by a six foot fence and tall trees. The entrance was concealed by a tarp that had to be pulled aside. If a person didn't know the yard existed, Kollar said, there would be no way to know there was an entrance.

"The way the house is set up, the way the back yard is set up, you could walk through the back yard, walk through the house and never know that there was another set of living circumstances in that back yard," the sheriff said.

And the view by neighbors was also screened. "The tents and outbuildings were strategically placed to inhibit outside viewing," Kollar said.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=8431843
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »

So scumbag and Mrs scumbag are being arraigned at 1:00 today.  One of the articles from this morning stated that scumbag had not found a lawyer yet.  Will this delay the arraignment or will the judge go ahead?

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #249 on: August 28, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »

Jaycee's stepfather Carl Probyn tells News 10's Cristina Mendosa that Jaycee and her daughters appear in good shape.

http://www.news10.net/video/default.aspx?aid=80950

Wow!  just wow!
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2009, 01:07:13 PM »

Phillip Garrido had a long history of drug use and mental problems, his father says
August 28, 2009 |  9:45 am
The father of Phillip Garrido, suspected of kidnapping an 11-year-old South Lake Tahoe girl 18 years ago, said today his son had a long history of drug use and mental problems.

"They are treating him like he knew what he was doing, but he didn’t know what he was doing," Manuel Garrido, 88, said in a telephone interview from his home in Brentwood in Northern California. "The man is out of it. He is a sick man. He should be treated that way. He should be punished but he should be treated like a crazy person."

Garrido, a 58-year-old registered sex offender, and his wife, Nancy, were arrested Wednesday in the 1991 kidnapping of Jaycee Lee Dugard and are suspected of holding her captive in the backyard of their Antioch home ever since. Garrido is believed to have fathered two daughters with Dugard, who is now 29. The girls are 11 and 15.     

Manuel Garrido said it had been more than five years since he last saw his son. He said Phillip was a sweet kid, friendly and always making jokes.

Phillip played electric guitar and had a band, and was always willing to help his parents around the house, Garrido said. "Everyone loved him."

He said Phillip started getting into trouble in high school and began using LSD.

Garrido said he tried to tried to talk to his son and get him on the right path, but by the time Phillip graduated from high school it was too late.

"After he got the LSD pills, he was gone,” Garrido said. “It ruined his life. He did a lot of crazy things after that."

Dugard disappeared on June 10, 1991, as she walked from her family’s South Lake Tahoe home to a bus stop.

Despite a massive search and being featured on the “America’s Most Wanted” television program, Jaycee was not found. Investigators were unable to identify a suspect.

Authorities got their break in the case Tuesday when Phillip Garrido was seen with two small children near UC Berkeley. After an encounter with campus police, he was reported to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, said Scott Kernan, the department's undersecretary of adult operations.

On Wednesday, Garrido was taken in for questioning at the department’s parole office in Concord, near Berkeley, Kernan said. He was accompanied by two children and two women, later identified as Dugard and his wife.

After being questioned by parole officers, Garrido revealed that he had kidnapped a female, now an adult, who was later identified as Dugard, authorities said.

Garrido had been convicted of rape and kidnapping in 1971 in Nevada, was incarcerated in federal prison in Leavenworth, Kan. He was later paroled to California.

In a rambling, sometimes incoherent phone interview with Sacramento TV station KCRA on Thursday, Garrido said he had not admitted to a kidnapping, and that he had turned his life around since the birth of his first daughter 15 years ago.

“I tell you here’s the story of what took place at this house and you’re going to be absolutely impressed. It’s a disgusting thing that took place from the end to the beginning. But I turned my life completely around,” he said.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/08/garridos-father-said-his-son-had-a-long-history-of-drug-use-and-mental-problems-.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »

Psychiatrist on Jaycee Dugard: Bonding With Captors Is Mind's Way of Safeguarding Itself

Jaycee Lee Dugard, who was abducted as an 11-year-old girl, held captive for 18 years and recently admitted to her mother she felt guilty for bonding with her captors, likely suffered from Stockholm syndrome, said one psychiatrist.

“An 11-year-old who is abducted and held against her will has little alternative but to bond with her captors,” said Dr. Keith Ablow, a psychiatrist and FOX News contributor. “To maintain one’s desperation and grief and rage for many years, would be too damaging to the human mind – so the human mind tells itself a story about safety and contentment to safeguard itself – that’s the essence of Stockholm syndrome.”

Dugard was allegedly kidnapped by Nancy and Phillip Garrido in 1991 and kept in a series of tents and sheds in couple’s backyard in Antioch, Calif. Police say Phillip Garrido repeatedly raped Dugard, 29, and she gave birth to his two children, ages 11 and 15.

Stockholm syndrome occurs when a person is held by powerful captors, Ablow said. They ally themselves with their captors because they fear death, and one defense mechanism is for the person held hostage to imagine that their captor is on their side.

Undersheriff Fred Kollar of the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office in California said Thursday during a news conference that Dugard and her two children were healthy, “but living in a backyard for 18 years takes its toll.”

Dugard was reunited Thursday with her mother, who was overjoyed to learn the ordeal was over and the daughter she feared dead was actually alive.

Ablow, who has not treated Dugard, said it was likely Dugard did not speak disparagingly about Phillip Garrido to her children.

“Jaycee’s first sexual experience was almost certainly with this man,” Ablow said. “She depended upon him for cleanliness, food and shelter. This complete dependence would preclude her from telling her children that this man was the devil.”

Going forward, Dugard might tell the children that “their father is a sick man, but they are now safe and very well cared for,” Ablow said.

Ablow said treating Dugard and her children will be like “walking a psychological tightrope” – they have been with the Garridos for so long, they inevitably will feel a sense of loss, yet all three need to learn to become independent.

"She is at risk for the most severe post-traumatic symptoms, including flashbacks, but she is also at risk for severe depression and for substance abuse to deal with the feelings likely to surface now that she is safe,” Ablow said. “Regarding Jaycee's children: They know nothing but the life they have lived and will need teams of healing professionals to encourage them to share their thoughts and feelings in order to have any hope of escaping severe mental disorders.”

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,544020,00.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »

Andrew Cohen: Statute of Limitations Non Issue in Prosecuting Jaycee Dugard's Alleged Captors

CBS News Legal Analyst Andrew Cohen blogs about the statute of limitations in the Jaycee Lee Dugard case.

NEW YORK (CBS) There may be some valid legal defense for the man and woman who allegedly kidnapped Jaycee Lee Dugard 18 years ago. But the argument that the statute of limitations has run out on any prosecution won’t be one of them.

Whether Nancy and Phillip Garrido are charged with kidnapping, or rape, or child molestation, or some combination of both, prosecutors won’t be barred from proceeding to trial just because the initial crimes may have occurred way back in 1991. In California, and most other states, the limitations for these sorts of crimes are triggered when the victim is found and tells the police of the abuse.

The police and prosecutors have one year from the time they learn of the crimes to bring charges. In this case, it looks like the Garrido’s are going to be arraigned just days after Dugard was located.

Moreover, it appears as though Garrido was on some sort of federal parole for prior sex crimes, which means that he won’t be entitled to all of the presumptions of innocence guaranteed in our Constitution to those not convicted. In other words, Garrido begins his criminal case in far worse legal shape than most defendants.

Judging from the bizarre, rambling comments Garrido offered after his arrest, Messianic phrases that practically scream cultist, I suspect we’ll see at some point some sort of insanity defense. Or maybe defense lawyers will claim that Dugard is not mentally competent to stand trial (just like what happened with one of the defendants in the Elizabeth Smart case). And obviously Dugard’s testimony will be crucial for prosecutors as they piece together a case.

Do we have a case of Stockholm syndrome, which sometimes occurs between the kidnapped and kidnappers? Or will Dugard’s first-hand account of her decades with Garrido incriminate both him and his wife. We’ll know soon.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/08/28/crimesider/entry5271527.shtml
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2009, 01:19:04 PM »

Kidnap suspect: This will be 'heart-warming story'

ANTIOCH – Phillip Craig Garrido - the man accused of fathering two girls with a former Orange County girl he kidnapped 18 years ago - said in a phone interview with a Sacramento TV station that he has turned his life around.

"Wait till you hear the story of what took place at this house and you are going to be absolutely impressed," Garrido said in the interview with KCRA TV. "It's a disgusting thing that took place with me in the beginning. But I turned my life completely around."

Garrido repeatedly said he wanted to tell more about his story, but he hadn't consulted a lawyer.

"The last several years, I completely turned my life around and you're going to find the most powerful story coming from the witness, from the victim," he said. "If you take a step at a time, you will fall over backwards and in the end you're going to find the most powerful heart-warming story revealing something that used to be understood."

Garrido cried when he mentioned the "two children that are Jaycee Lee Dugard's two children that we had."

"Those two girls, they slept in my arms every single night from birth," Garrido said, choking up. "I never touched them … ."

Garrido, 58, who was on parole after serving prison time for kidnapping and rape, and his wife, Nancy, 55, were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of kidnapping. They are being held in lieu of $1 million bail each. For details on how Garrido came to authorities' attention and how Dugard was found, click here.

According to law enforcement officials, Dugard, who spent her early years in Orange County, was relegated to a secret compound behind the Garridos' home – including a soundproofed shed that could be opened only from the outside. She had no contact with the outside world, said El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar.

The Garridos are scheduled to be arraigned this afternoon in Placerville.

Dugard gave birth to a little girl when she was just 14, the result of being raped by Garrido, authorities said. Garrido fathered a second child with Dugard two years later, authorities said.

The two girls lived with their mother in the compound, masked by tall trees and a blue tarp that had to be pushed aside to get to the compound. Garbage cans and a dishwasher completed the charade, hiding the Garridos' secret from parole officer visits.

What the Garridos' neighbors in Antioch don't understand was how this could be kept hidden for so long.

"How the hell couldn't we know this was going on in our neighborhood?" said Betty Unpingco, who has 10 children ranging in age from 12 to 33 and who has lived on Walnut Avenue, a few doors down from the Garridos, for 10 years.

Walnut Avenue is a collection of modest homes on a street with no sidewalks and dusty soil - where chickens roam in front yards with no fences, and some people drive golf carts instead of cars.

The neighborhood, home to many elderly people and not many children, is in unincorporated Antioch on land that used to be a vineyard.

"This just blows my mind," Unpingco said.

Phillip Garrido has lived since around 1991 in the light-green, single-story house reportedly owned for years by his mother, Unpingo said.

Neighbors say they mostly saw only him in the neighborhood – never Jaycee Dugard or her children.

Garrido frequently would stroll down the street late at night, when it was quiet, they said. Sometimes they saw his wife, Nancy.

Phillip Garrido made an impression at a party the Unpingcos held a few years ago for a son graduating from high school.

Garrido, dressed in his usually scruffy clothes of jeans and T-shirt, dropped off some speakers and lingered at the luau, helping himself to roast pig.

"He was calling a lot of the teenage girls over to him to talk to them separately,'' said DenaAnn Unpingco, 17. "He was making a lot of them feel uncomfortable."

A caretaker who tends daily to a 94-year-old man who lives two houses down from the Garridos said she feels terrible guilt at not noticing anything odd going on at the house where the convicted child molester lived.

The caretaker, Jay Smith, recalled hearing the scream of young girls - screams of discomfort - a couple of years ago, but thought they were coming from another house down the street at the home of someone she knows.

She figured her friend was disciplining her children.

Now, she wonders if the screams were coming from Garrido's backyard.

"I adore children, and to think that they were suffering right over there … ," she said, her voice trailing off. "I can't stand suffering. I'm a caretaker."

As she spoke, Smith clutched a chain-link fence through which she had a clear view of the fence that runs alongside the compound where Dugard and her children allegedly were kept like animals in a zoo.

Almond trees, Monterey pines and mimosa trees shield most of the compound, which has some concessions to childhood: a swing set. A trampoline. Broken-down toys. The backyard appears to be a series of tarps and shanties with junk strewn about.

"I can't fathom how something like this could have been happening, day after day, night after night, and nobody caught a whiff of it," Smith said.

"I could probably spit a watermelon seed over there, and I didn't even know anything was going on.

"It makes me feel sick."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/garrido-years-children-2544283-girls-going
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »

"After he got the LSD pills, he was gone,” Garrido said. “It ruined his life. He did a lot of crazy things after that."             (  I am well aware the effects of this drug and what it can do to an individual, but please let's not even go there, what is the wife's excuse, she also had some bad trips?  I just wish all the happiness for this family  an angelic monkey Not only Jaycee is back, but two girls as well too love.)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #255 on: August 28, 2009, 01:22:24 PM »

Jaycee Lee Dugard Abduction Ends Happily -- or Does It?

Missing Girl Found After 18 Years in Shed Has Challenges Ahead
Wednesday's news seemed surreal. Jaycee Lee Dugard had walked into a police station the day before with her two children and 58-year-old Phillip Garrido, a convicted sex offender who had done hard time for rape. In 1991, 11-year-old Jaycee Lee Dugard was abducted by two people in view of her step-father. Over the years, the case
became cold and Dugard was presumed dead- an outcome that occurs frequently with stranger abductions. Tuesday's events surprised even the most cynical investigators.

But Jaycee Lee Dugard's happy ending will be fraught with heartache ahead as the now 29-year-old woman and her family deal with the realities of what happened to her. Dugard had been abducted by Phillip and Nancy Garrido and locked in a series of sheds in their overgrown backyard. Although details are still sketchy, it is clear that Phillip Garrido raped Dugard repeatedly and she bore him two children, one when she was 14 and one at 18. Her children lived with her in the shed and are now 15 and 11. Neither Dugard nor her children attended school or were allowed off of the property.

The Dugard case is eerily reminiscent of the 2008 discovery of Elisabeth Fritzl, imprisoned in her father's basement in Austria for 24 years. Joseph Fritzl sexually assaulted his daughter and she bore him 8 children, one of whom died shortly after birth. She was locked in the basement with 3 of the children until the crime was discovered during a hospital visit.

Jaycee Dugard will have many psychological issues to work through as she reunites with her family and deals with the reality of the origins of her children. Dugard has had little socialization for the past 18 years and little in the way of adult interaction. Becoming a mother at the age of 14 with presumably no outside assistance or support effectively ended her childhood altogether. Her children were raised by a child herself and, without public interaction or schooling, may face a long road to integrating with society.

Phillip and Nancy Garrido are currently imprisoned and awaiting arraignment.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2115077/jaycee_lee_dugard_abduction_ends_happily.html?cat=9
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2009, 01:27:47 PM »

It's safe to say a very happy ending with many problems to deal with. But this looks like a lovely family, and with their love and support I pray Jaycee and her children will be able to adjust as much as humanly possible. So many things for them to experience and enjoy.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »

"After he got the LSD pills, he was gone,” Garrido said. “It ruined his life. He did a lot of crazy things after that."             (  I am well aware the effects of this drug and what it can do to an individual, but please let's not even go there, what is the wife's excuse, she also had some bad trips?  I just wish all the happiness for this family  an angelic monkey Not only Jaycee is back, but two girls as well too love.)

You know we could save the US and state of CA a lot of time and money.  Ship him up to me and I will introduce him to a "bad trip".  The bears up here may get heartburn, but they would enjoy the the hunt.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »

Dugard Suspects To Face Kidnap, Rape Charges
Pair May Get Life In Prison If Convicted

PLACERVILLE, Calif. -- An Antioch husband and wife accused of abducting Meyers resident Jaycee Lee Dugard 18 years ago will both face charges of kidnapping, rape and other counts that could send them to prison for life if convicted, KCRA 3 has learned.

Phillip Craig Garrido, 58, and his 55-year-old wife, Nancy Garrido, were scheduled to appear in court on Friday afternoon. They will both face at least 29 charges, and more may be added later.

Phillip Garrido is suspected of abducting Dugard when she was just 11 years old, confining her to an Antioch back yard and fathering two children with her.

The Garridos will also face charges of kidnapping with intent to rape, child molestation and false imprisonment.

Prosecutors will also seek special enhancements that would make the Garridos eligible for life sentences if convicted.

The El Dorado County district attorney has yet to file a complaint in the case.

Dugard, who turned 29 on Thursday, surfaced this week. She was said to be in good health and was reunited with her family.

http://www.kcra.com/news/20601828/detail.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #259 on: August 28, 2009, 01:39:24 PM »

Antioch Man Surprised At Colleague's Kidnap Arrest
 More Local News
PLACERVILLE, Calif. (AP) ―  A woman who was snatched from a South Lake Tahoe bus stop as an 11-year-old child in 1991 turned up Thursday after being held for the past 18 years in isolation in an Antioch backyard compound by a convicted sex offender who fathered two children with her, police said.

As the details about Jaycee Lee Dugard's time in captivity emerged, those who knew her alleged captor Phillip Garrido were surpised about his virtual enslavement of the now 29-year-old woman.

Deepal Karunaratne, an Antioch real estate agent, said he worked with Phillip Garrido for a decade. He said Garrido printed business cards and signs for his business.

Karunaratne said he also frequently worked directly with a woman who called herself "Alyssa" and claimed to be Garrido's daughter. It turns out that "Alyssa" was actually Dugard, authorities said.

When shown a photo of Dugard at age 11 when she was abducted, Karunaratne reacted by saying: "That's her."

"I mean she's changed now. But I know the smile, the featrures, the eyes," he explained.

"Everytime I talked to her she seemed to be very happy and smiling all the time," Karunaratne said, noting that Lake Tahoe is only a few hours drive away.

"If she was kidnapped, I was wondering, why doesn't she get on a bus and go there?" Karunaratne shook his head and acknowledged the possibility that she had been brainwashed.

Karunaratne claimed "Alyssa" did the design work for Garrido's small printing company. He said he was often over at the Garrido house and interacted with Garrido's wife Nancy as well as the other kids.

He said he always thought it was a bit strange that "Alyssa" never called Garrido "Dad."

Karunaratne noted that Garrido had been acting strangely lately, constantly claiming that he talks to angels.

"The Creator has given me the ability to speak in the tongue of angels in order to provide a wake-up call that will in time include the salvation of the entire world," Garrido wrote in one of the many posts on his blog that were reviewed by CBS 5.

Garrido recently showed Karunaratne a strange device that Garrido claimed was some kind of machine that controls sounds with the human mind.

Karunaratne said he listened, heard some sounds, and signed an affidavit at Garrido's request.

Garrido later claimed on his Web site that Karunaratne's affidavit signature was proof that the machine works.

http://cbs13.com/crime/jaycee.lee.dugard.2.1149713.html
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.