April 28, 2024, 05:38:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jaycee Dugard kidnapped 18 years ago So Lake Tahoe, CA FOUND ALIVE / 2 arrested  (Read 471283 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #360 on: August 28, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »

Phillip Garrido Speaks To Walt Gray

An Antioch husband and wife accused of abducting Meyers resident Jaycee Lee Dugard 18 years ago are facing charges of kidnapping, rape and other counts that could send them to prison for life if convicted, KCRA 3 has learned.

KCRA 3's Walt Gray spoke with Phillip Garrido by phone on Thursday.

Walt Gray: OK, thank you for getting in touch with us.

Garrido: Hey.

Gray: So how are you doing? Can you tell me what happened? Are doing OK? Are you doing fine?

Garrido: Yes, I am doing fine. Am I speaking with Mr. Walt?

Gray: Yes.

Garrido: In the end, this is going to be (not audible) this is going to be a wonderful wonderful story. One that you are going to be really impressed. It's going to hit world news. The first thing I would like to tell you, and the only thing that I would like to tell you right now, just because for some reason I didn't get to speak with you today. And I asked to speak with you is this, contact go to the Federal Bureau Investigation, 13th floor in San Francisco and ask for a copy of the documents that I left with them 3 days ago. This is for you… the news media it was left in your hands, this is something … powerful coming down. Once you get those documents they are going to have an investigation in them with witnesses. Concerning my situation. I would like to stop right there so that we can sit across from each other and then you will have that in your hands. Because what you are going to have in your hands will hit world news immediately.

Gray: Phil, we are recording this, I hope you do not mind.

Garrido: Oh no sir, I do not.

Gray: OK, can you tell us the circumstances surrounding what happened back in 1991, the whole deal that leads us to today.

Garrido: I can't tell you what ... I have not talked to my lawyer yet so I can't do that. But I can tell you that the circumstances will begin to come to life as soon as you get those documents. That is why they are sitting in the Federal government's hands.

Gray: OK, Does this have to do with your place of business?

Garrido: No.

Gray: OK.

Garrido: Place of business?

Gray: Well, I just in terms of the listing of your home…It's got something?

Garrido: That's a ... that's the church.

Gray: Does this all fall under that, Philip?

Garrido: Uh yes, it does.

Gray: OK.

Garrido: That's why I opened a… That's the reason why it is in a government center. It will state right in the front of it. They accepted it very very happily.

Gray: OK, So let me ask you this back in 1991. Why was it that you selected this girl?

Garrido: Uh, I'm so sorry, let me help you as soon as I can sit down and do this directly. I have no desire to hold back these things, in fact when this takes place, you are really going to be surprised what happened was a powerful heart warming story, if you would just cooperate with me. You can make the decisions as you get the information. I am so sorry I don't mean to disappoint you. I just know that I have to do this in the orderly fashion.

Gray: No, I completely understand, I do appreciate speaking with you at this time. So what situation do you think that you are in right now?

Garrido: Well, I'm in a very serious situation right now. What it is ... uh, I can't speak with you about it right now. I have to wait. But, I guarantee as each turn goes on you will get the pieces of the story. I'm a very powerful man. When you get these documents in your hands you are going to fall over.

Gray: When can I get these documents?

Garrido: Well, wait a minute, on the 13th floor of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. I gave them to one of the agents. So they have them at ... go to them tonight immediately. You ask them for a copy of those.

Gray: What when ... two days ago when you were in Berkley and you were contacted by some people in law enforcement. Can you tell me what you said to them? Did you feel somewhat relieved that they had found you? How did you feel about it?

Garrido: I feel much better now. It was the process that needed to take place. Please go and grab those documents. They are of dire importance to you. Like I said, they are going to be a part of the trial. Because this is going to turn into a major trial.

Gray: So what do you hope happens? Once the documents are out, once the trial begins or is over? What do you hope comes from this for you?

Garrido: Well let me tell you this, when I went to the San Francisco bureau, and I am not going to get in touch with them, I just want to make sure that you understand something. I was accompanied by 2 children, Uh Jaycee Dugard's two children that we had. We were also accompanied by (not audible) we went else were to Berkeley. The only places that I went were in the legal system. Just to start this off please come down. They will not disappoint you, they will absolutely tell you right away that you are going to be in control … to raise the attention.

Gray: So what, I know you have served some time in the 90s.

Garrido: Right.

Gray: What have you been doing all this time in terms of employment, I mean what have you been doing? What keeps you busy?

Garrido: What has kept me busy for the last several several years is that I have completely turned my life around. You are going to find the most powerful story coming from the witness and the victim. If you just take this a step at a time…and in the end you are going to find the most powerful heart warming story. And believe in something that needs to be understood. And that is about as far as I can go. I really want to help you but I need the media is also protected directly.

Gray: I understand that. Would we be getting most of this what you are saying? Would we be getting most of this from Jaycee?

Garrido: Jaycee will be handling that with her lawyer. Here is what we are going to do. We are going to coordinate this because I guess ... it's not against .. . I am absolutely for law enforcement. Wait till you read that document, my life has been stated. Wait until you hear the story! Of what took place at this house. You are going to be absolutely impressed with this disgusting thing that took place with me in the beginning. I turned my life completely around. You have to understand that you have to start there, I am so sorry. I can help you further, but I also need to protect the sheriff's office here. And I need to protect the federal government and I need to protect the rights of Jaycee lee Dugard.

Gray: I understand. What have you. Can you at least share with me what you have told law enforcement?

Garrido: I have not told them anything. I will not speak with them until I have a ... what I shared with law enforcement is entitled in those documents. I did not tell them anything else but what is in those documents. You are going to be really impressed.

Gray: Did you, when they first met with you, did you recently tell them that you had a hand in taking Jaycee back in 1991?

Garrido: Oh no, no, no that was just the beginning as to what I am preparing. It's going to lead to what had actually happened. It is going to explain something that humans have not understood well.

Gray: In understand that phil. You mentioned that it is going to be a heart warming story. Can you give me an overview? Is it a love story? Is it a story about children?

Garrido: It's a constructive story about turning a person's life around. And having those two children, those two boys, they have slept in my arms very single night. I have never touched them. Just do what I asked you because it would make me so happy that you would do it. I kept warning that if it get's too far. Wait till you find out, I mean there are going to be people coming forward to this trial. And that is not all, I am going to be ... in a state of shock as how many hundreds of thousands of people are going to be coming to Woodland to start testifying about something. Do me a favor and follow the first part of what I asked you. You make your "understandments" from there. You will find out that this is not from me and is not a play. Or a way of me monopolizing anyone. It is a very very well constructed and powerful written disclosure. Please do that and we will work from there.

Gray: Let me ask you this before I go. Are the children OK?

Garrido: Yes, absolutely they are!

Gray: Is there anybody in the house?

Garrido: Absolutely they are, from when the youngest one was born, from that moment on everything has turned around. These people are going to testify to these things.

Gray: We are just somewhat concerned of the lack of ... perhaps some sound and medical attention.

Garrido: Absolutely we will, we just did not have the finances and so forth. We were way concerned about ... you have to get into the actually things ... the government. The federal government will actually be involved. There will be hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people that will be suing and ... just read the documents and we will go from there. Thank you sir and I thank you, God bless you for allowing me to call you.

Gray: Thank you for the phone call.

Garrido: I had a wanted to see you and didn't know what happened.

Gray: I did not know that you wanted to see me. I wish I had known early in the day.

Garrido: I just feel bad… I did ... I wanted but thank you so much for allowing me to talk to you.

Gray: We will work on that.

Garrido: OK, and I am not going to call another media. I am going to leave this with you because you are the first person I was able to talk to. I am going to stop right there.

Gray: Alright.

Garrido: Thank you sir.

Gray: You know what you are doing? This is the biggest phone interview I have had.

http://www.kcra.com/news/20604335/detail.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #361 on: August 28, 2009, 06:01:43 PM »

I just read the transcript from the call Garrido made to the reporter again and have to say it is more whacked than CMA speak. 

Garrido: It's a constructive story about turning a person's life around. And having those two children, those two boys, ....
Mtnmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #362 on: August 28, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »

sorry if this is repost

Joplin woman may have ties to Phillip Garrido
http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/local_story_240152816.html
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #363 on: August 28, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »

sorry if this is repost

Joplin woman may have ties to Phillip Garrido
http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/local_story_240152816.html
Bet she could tell a tale or two 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #364 on: August 28, 2009, 06:49:33 PM »

I just read the transcript from the call Garrido made to the reporter again and have to say it is more whacked than CMA speak. 

Garrido: It's a constructive story about turning a person's life around. And having those two children, those two boys, ....
It's whacked alright  That must be a misprint about the two boys 
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #365 on: August 28, 2009, 07:13:33 PM »

mere....you summed it up in a nut shell...all the questions that I had as well...so sad!

nosy person that I am, I think that I would have been looking through that fence trying to see what was going on over there..especially if I heard little children, knowing that my neighbor was a sex offender..but perhaps some folks just turn a blind eye to things that don't concern them? dunno....

If there was a SO as my next door neighbor you can bet he would have wished he didn't live next to me!  I would have a big sing in my front yard with an arrow pointing to that damn house stating that a SO lived there.  And like you Cookie if I heard children you can bet your azz I would be having the police out there.  That not getting involved attitude has never been part of my make up...thank goodness!!

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2009, 07:22:13 PM »

I just read it twice.  WHERE ARE THOSE CHILDREN?????  2 Little boys??

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #367 on: August 28, 2009, 07:25:04 PM »

Californian Proud of Two Girls He Told Cops He Fathered With Child Victim
By MARK MOONEY
Aug. 28, 2009

Phillip Garrido sat quiety as he was arraigned today on charges that he kidnapped, raped and imprisoned Jaycee Dugard -- even as police from another jurisdiction began probing Garrido's home for clues to the unsolved murders of area prostitutes.

The bizarre twist came as a clearer picture of Garrido emerged: a man obsessed with his own strange vision of God, who carried around a machine he said allowed people to hear his thoughts, and who was like a "strutting peacock" when it came to the two young girls he fathered with Jaycee Dugard.

The latest shock in the case came when Contra Costa sheriff's Capt. Daniel Terry told the Associated Press that officers were executing a search warrant of the Garrido home in Antioch, Calif., in connection with the murder of prostitutes.

The bodies of several slain prostitutes had been dumped near an industrial park where Garrido, a registered sex offender, worked during the 1990s.

Garrido, 58, and his wife, Nancy, 54, were arraigned separately today on 29 counts of kidnapping, rape and imprisonment charges in relation to the 1991 abduction of Dugard when she was 11 years old.

Garrido sat quietly, looking at photographers as the judge ruled that he would be held without bail. His wife cried several times during her arraignment. Both pleaded not guilty.

The picture that emerged of Garrido is of a man who ran a printing business and did not hide the children he told police he fathered with Dugard, despite allegedly keeping them confined in a backyard jumble of sheds and tents, and never taking them to school or to a doctor.

"They are very, very beautiful blonde-haired, blue-eyed girls," said Timothy Allen, who got his printing from Garrido over the last 10 years.

Allen said Garrido brought the girls around about three times over that period, the last time a year ago.

"He was like a strutting peacock. He was very proud of these two girls," Allen said.

When Allen came over to greet the girls, "They were very shy," he said.

He remembered one of the girls was named Angel and the other girl's name had the word "star" in it, but Allen couldn't remember the name exactly. The girls were clean and their hair was combed, but they didn't look their age.

"They looked very young, maybe 10 and 12, or 11 and 13," Allen said.

And their clothes, he said, were "weird little dresses. They weren't store bought. They were obviously homemade."

Allen said that when the news of Garrido's arrest broke, his bookkeeper called to him to look at the picture of Jaycee Dugard when she was 11, the year she was stolen.

"My heart sank," Allen said. "She was the spitting image of these girls."

The last time Allen saw Garrido was on July 29. Allen said the visit prompted him to remark to his staff that Garrido was getting so strange that they should find another printer.

"He talked all this fabulous stuff. New information would be brought forth from God, it would be mind blowing, going to be huge," Allen said.

Perhaps one of the kookier things about Garrido, who claimed on his blog that he could speak in tongues and control sound with his mind, was that in recent years he would carry around a box with earphones attached to it.

"He claimed that by putting on the earphones people could hear what he was thinking and that God was talking to him," Allen said.

"I tried it out," Allen said. "I heard the seashore."

"You hear? You hear it?" Allen remembered Garrido asking him.

Allen shook his head no.

"Then he moved his lips," Allen said. "I still didn't hear a thing. Then he whispered, and I said, 'I hear you,' and Garrido said, 'Yeah, that's it!'"

Allen chuckled a bit at the memory, but added, "I knew this guy was weird, that he was kooky, but not in an evil way."

Garrido's father, Manuel Garrido, told the AP that his son is "absolutely out of his mind" and blamed his use of the drug LSD when he was young.

Manuel Garrido said he hasn't seen his son in years and has never been to the house where the encampment allegedly was set up.

He said his ex-wife, Phillip Garrido's mother, has dementia and is not well. She also lived in the Antioch house.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Story?id=8438914&page=1

Justice for Nevaeh Facebook - http://www.fbook.me/justice4nevaeh
In Memory of Nevaeh Videos; http://bit.ly/nevaeh  http://bit.ly/nevaeh2
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #368 on: August 28, 2009, 07:34:09 PM »

The sex fiend who held a California girl captive for 18 years morphed Friday into the chief suspect in the unsolved murders of several local prostitutes, cops said.

Cops were searching the bungalow where Jaycee Lee Dugard was imprisoned for evidence that would link her accused kidnapper, Phillip Garrido, to the killings.

Several of the slain prostitutes were found near an industrial park where Garrido worked during the 1990's, said Capt. Daniel Terry of the Contra Costa Sheriff's Department.

The startling development came after Garrido and his wife, Nancy, were charged with kidnapping a then 11-year-old Jaycee in 1991 - and after authorities admitted the victim spent three extra years in hell
because a sheriff's deputy screwed up.

"We may have missed an opportunity to have intervened earlier" and rescue Jaycee, Contra Costa Sheriff Warren Rupf admitted.

The unnamed deputy was dispatched to the Garridos' home in 2006 after a 911 caller reported that a "psychotic" Garrido had sexual addictions and erected tents in his back yard where children were living, Rupf said.

Instead of investigating, the deputy warned Garrido that the tents could be a code violation - and never checked out the shabby hovels where the psycho suspect was holding Jaycee and the daughters Garrido fathered with his captive.

"This is not an acceptable outcome," Rupf said. "I cannot change the course of events. We are beating ourselves up over this."

Earlier, the suspect's father told The Daily News that his son's brain was fried by LSD and that he is "out of his mind."

"He changed terribly. He started to do funny things," after hurting his head in a motorcycle accident at age 14, said Manuel Garrido of Brentwood, Ca.

Until that moment, Garrido was "the sweetest kid," he said.

Meanwhile, Jaycee, who is now 29, and her daughters Starlet and Angel, were holed in a motel in Antioch, Calif., with her mother, Terry.

Jaycee's stepdad said she is "feeling guilty for bonding" with her kidnapper to survive and because she "didn't try to get away."

"She bonded with him," said Carl Probyn. "After 18 years, she had no choice. Otherwise, she would have been dead."

Jaycee, whose daughters by Garrido are 11 and 15, was reunited with her parents on Thursday night after cops arrested Garrido, 58, and his wife, Nancy.

Nancy Garrido was with her husband when they snatched the pretty blond girl on June 10, 1991, as she was walking to her school bus stop in South Lake Tahoe, police said.

Police believe the Garridos took Jaycee directly to their bungalow and kept her in a shack and two tents hidden behind a tree-lined, 6-foot-tall fence at the rear of their backyard.

Garrido has placed a plastic tarp covered the entrance to the covert camp, which had an outhouse and an outdoor shower, police said.

Both of Jaycee's kids were born there and have never been to school or seen a doctor, police said.
Garrido pleaded not guilty on Friday.

Jaycee's abduction was an unsolved mystery until Tuesday when campus cop Allison Jacobs saw Garrido and the two young girls at the University of California, Berkeley.

Garrido wanted permission to pass out religious tracts, and when Jacobs ran a background check, she learned he was a registered sex offender on lifetime federal parole for a 1971 kidnapping and rape.

Jacobs contacted Garrido's parole officer, who called the convict in for a meeting Wednesday.

Garrido showed up with his wife, the two girls he fathered, and a woman named Allissa - who turned out to be Jaycee. It was then that Garrido admitted he and his wife had kidnapped Jaycee in 1991.

An Internet blogger who claims he can speak to God and hear voices in peoples' heads, Garrido served 17 years in Leavenworth Prison in Kansas for taking a woman across state lines and raping her in a hotel room,
a relative of Garrido told The News. He was released in 1988.

Records show Garrido was thrown back in jail for five months in 1993 for a parole violation. At that point, Jaycee was two years into her nightmare.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/08/28/2009-08-28_phillip_garrido_kidnapper_in_the_jayce_.html

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #369 on: August 28, 2009, 07:35:20 PM »

Phillip Garrido raised alarms for UC Berkeley police

Police at the University of California, Berkeley, said today they were so alarmed by the odd behavior of Phillip Garrido and his two young daughters that they alerted a California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation parole officer.

Garrido, who is accused of abducting Jaycee Lee Dugard in 1991 and holding her for 18 years, had come to the campus police department in search of a permit for a campus event he said would "change the world."

The latest revelations in the Dugard case came this afternoon during a news conference at UC Berkeley. Two campus police officials helped answer questions about how Garrido came to the attention of state authorities.

Lisa Campbell, a special events manager for the university police who first encountered Garrido at the campus police department on Monday, said he acted "peculiar." She said she asked a sworn officer to accompany her when Garrido returned for an appointment Tuesday to talk about his event.

Garrido had left his name with Campbell, so before Tuesday's meeting, university Officer Ally Jacob checked his name and found that he was on federal parole for kidnapping and rape and was a registered sex offender.

Jacob said Garrido showed up Tuesday with his two daughters, who she said were extremely pale and acted "robotic."

"I just got a weird uneasy feeling," Jacob said.

During Garrido's 15-minute meeting, Jacob said she was trying to find evidence of any sort of crime but couldn't. "As a cop, you need proof to act," she said.

She allowed Garrido to leave and then called his parole officer. When the officer returned her call the next day, Jacob told him she was concerned about Garrido's two young daughters.

"He says, 'He doesn't have any daughters,' and my stomach just sank," Jacobs said. "I said he had two daughters with him that day. They had his same blue eyes."

Later that day, Jacob said, the parole officer called to tell her and Campbell that Garrido had been arrested in connection with the Dugard case.

http://www.sacbee.com/latest/story/2146523.html
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #370 on: August 28, 2009, 07:37:31 PM »

Katherine Callaway, who was raped by Jaycee Lee Dugard's kidnapper, glad Phillip Garrido behind bars

By Nancy Dillon In Los Angeles and Corky Siemaszko In New York
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Friday, August 28th 2009, 5:54 PM

A Las Vegas woman raped by kidnap sicko Phillip Garrido said Friday she was relieved the "monster" is behind bars again.

"I am overwhelmingly relieved," Katherine Callaway told The Daily News. "He's a monster."

Callaway said she was "shocked" when she learned that the man arrested for kidnapping and raping Jaycee Lee Dugard was the same man who attacked her in the 1970s.

Callaway, who lives in Las Vegas, said she intends to speak more about her ordeal in the coming days.

Garrido served 17 years in Leavenworth Prison in Kansas for attacking Callaway. He was released in 1988.

Newspaper accounts of the assault said Garrido had hitched a ride with the then-25-year-old casino worker from South Lake Tahoe - and attacked her in the car.

The victim told police Garrido handcuffed her, taped her mouth, tied her up and drove to a mini-storage warehouse in Reno.

Garrido then dragged the woman into one of the units, which he'd decked out with rugs on the floor and walls - and equipped with pornographic magazines, a movie projector, marital aids, a spotlight, wine and hot water.

The woman was rescued when Reno Police Officer Clifford Conrad spotted the car and knocked on the unit door to investigate.

When Garrido opened the door, Conrad heard his captive scream.

Garrido was sentenced in 1977 to 50 years in federal prison for kidnapping, and five years to life on a state charge of sexual assault, according to a spokeswoman for the Nevada Department of Corrections.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/08/28/2009-08-28_katherine_callaway_who_was_raped_by_.html

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #371 on: August 28, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »

Cleveland: DeJesus family has renewed faith to find Gina

CLEVELAND -- Nancy DeJesus, mother of kidnap victim Gina DeJesus, was smiling as she stood on her porch on Cleveland's near west side Friday afternoon. Cleveland Police First District Commander Keith Sulzer had stopped by to share the news about the incredible rescue of another kidnapped girl in California.

Jaycee Dugard was found alive and well. She was taken in front of her home 18 years ago when she was just 11 years old.

A convicted sex offender, Philip Garrido, and his wife are now facing dozens of criminal charges in connection with the kidnapping.

Nancy DeJesus was jubilant. "After 18 years, oh my God!" said DeJesus. "This was such a great relief for all of us here."

DeJesus added, "Finding that girl after 18 years means there is hope for us. Oh yes, definitely, I know she's out there. I know somebody has her. And I know that somebody knows something."

Commander Sulzer nodded his head in agreement. He said, "As a parent, I would never lose hope. And I know the parents of Gina DeJesus and Amanda Berry would never lose hope."

Sulzer added, "But everybody has to put themselves in that position and say we wouldn't lose hope. So give us the information we need so maybe we can find something here."

The FBI and Cleveland Police have vowed to follow any lead and investigate any tip in the cases of the missing girls in Cleveland.

FBI Special Agent Scott Wilson told Channel 3's Mike O'Mara, "This amazing resolution in California is a great lesson for everybody. Never give up hope."

Wilson added, "We will not close these cases of the missing girls in Cleveland until we have a final answer on each person. "

Anyone with information is asked to contact:

Cleveland FBI: 216.522.1400

Cleveland Police: 216.623.5118

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=120612&catid=3
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #372 on: August 28, 2009, 07:39:09 PM »

Psychologists Say Jaycee Dugard Can Recover From Ordeal

The biggest question on many people's minds is why Jaycee Dugard didn't try to escape her kidnappers. Investigators say in 18 years, she never called the police or her parents to get help.

Psychologists we've spoken with say it's really too early to name it anything--and that without diagnosing Jaycee, it would be pure speculation to call it Stockholm Syndrome. However, we did learn that Jaycee's recovery will most likely be a very long process.

UNR Political Science Professor, Leonard Weinberg, says he's studied Stockholm Syndrome in relationship to terrorism. In the 1970's, some hostages being controlled by terrorists developed close, but short-term relationships with their kidnappers. He says a famous example is when newspaper heiress Patti Hearst was kidnapped by the Symbionese Liberation Army...and then shortly after, joined their cause and even helped them rob a bank.

Weinberg says in Jaycee's case, since the kidnappers were allegedly keeping her in a backyard, she may have had no choice but to depend on them.

"My guess is, and it's purely a guess, that she developed some sort of identification with these older people who acted like her parents," said Weinberg.

Local psychologist Catherine Neighbors tells us another theory is something called "learned helplessness." It's the theory that when someone is held against their will for a long period of time, eventually they give up. The study--first done on animals, found that often the victims are so convinced there is no escape, that they quit looking for a way out. Many psychologists say due to Jaycee's name, lifestyle, and identity change, her treatment--regardless of diagnoses, will be lengthy.

"This is going to take time. She was 11 when she left. She's 29 now. In her parent's mind, she is still 11. And to have those children brought in at the same age she was when she was kidnapped, it's going to take a long time," said psychologist Helen Morrison.

Neighbors says Jaycee will most likely suffer from some type of post traumatic stress syndrome. Experts say those syndromes are treatable, usually through something called "gradual exposure therapy," which is where victims learn to face the reality of what they went through.

Political Science professor, Dr. Weinberg tells us Stockholm Syndrome stems from a bank robbery in Sweden back in 1972. In that case, some of the female hostages defended the bank robbers to police--and one of them, eventually even got romantically involved with one of her captors.

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/55913637.html
pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #373 on: August 28, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »

NorthernRose,

I have seen a number of similar articles today about other "cold cases" of missing people. Their families having renewed hope. It's a good thing that some of these missing people who haven't been mentioned in the news in quite a while are getting some new coverage as a result of this tragedy/miracle.

SunnyTX - I think the "two boys" was a misprint in that article. jmo

I think if there was other children or dead children, the police would know by now.

pink angel
Monkey Junky

99% angel, 1% brat

« Reply #374 on: August 28, 2009, 07:59:18 PM »

Hassani's foster parents have been arrested for murder.

I will post the link for live video in his thread. ::sighs::

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #375 on: August 28, 2009, 08:23:14 PM »

NorthernRose,

I have seen a number of similar articles today about other "cold cases" of missing people. Their families having renewed hope. It's a good thing that some of these missing people who haven't been mentioned in the news in quite a while are getting some new coverage as a result of this tragedy/miracle.

SunnyTX - I think the "two boys" was a misprint in that article. jmo

I think if there was other children or dead children, the police would know by now.

PA - Hi!!  I hope you are right...the thought of 2 more children .....is terrifying!!

Rest in Peace Caylee

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #376 on: August 28, 2009, 09:08:42 PM »

Kidnap suspect's home searched for murder evidence

ANTIOCH, Calif. -- Authorities are searching the home where a man allegedly held a kidnapped girl captive for 18 years, looking for evidence in the murders of several prostitutes.

Contra Costa Sheriff's Department Capt. Daniel Terry says police officers from the nearby city of Pittsburg executed a search warrant Friday at Phillip Garrido's Antioch home for clues in the unsolved slayings.

Several of the murdered women's bodies were dumped near an industrial park where Garrido worked during the 1990s.

Garrido and his wife, Nancy, were charged Friday with kidnapping 11-year-old Jaycee Lee Dugard in 1991. Authorities say they held her and two children she had with Garrido as prisoners in a backyard encampment.

http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/2146019.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #377 on: August 28, 2009, 09:12:34 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:10:13 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #378 on: August 28, 2009, 09:14:13 PM »

This new info about the serial deaths that maybe linked to him is very disturbing..as well as the one shed that was soundproofed. 

They wouldn't have just decided that because he worked in the area then..I am sure a number of SO's worked in that area then.  I am thinking either he said something or his wife did for this info to come out now.  And they must feel it is a good lead to be back at his house.  He admitted in the radio interview that he did horrible, terrible things, things plural....one can only imagine what went on in this monsters mind.

I am interested in hearing from his wife..how much of a part she played in this and if she was subjected to his evil side too.  She has been very quiet, yet she helped with the kidnapping, she kept the children there while he was in jail in 1999..what is her story?  Was she also subjected to the Stockholm syndrom in some way?  His brother described her as a robot...something isn't right there either.

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #379 on: August 28, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »

Girl found after 18 years gives Colo. woman hope for missing sister

DENVER - It's been 26 years this month since Lynn McLaughlin last saw her little sister, Beth. It was 1983, when Beth Miller, age 14, went out for a jog. She hasn't been seen or heard from since.

McLaughlin says news that Jaycee Dugard, a California girl missing and found after 18 years, has given her hope for the first time in a while, her sister may also be alive.

"As I watch the programs on the news the hope creeps in, I haven't had hope in over 20 years and it's almost an odd feeling. I never thought there would be hope again, that Beth is alive and that keeps coming in my mind," McLaughlin said.

McLaughlin worked tirelessly to find her sister, and then her body, after she accepted the fact she was dead. In 1994, 10 and half years after Miller's disappearance Beth's mom asked a Clear Creek County Judge for her daughter's death certificate.

According to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation more than 800 children are currently missing in our state, and a case like Dugard's is very rare.

Assistant Director Steven Johnson says the story can give some families a false sense of hope.

"Everyone says, 'Wow, this gives all of us hope.' But unfortunately as time continues to go on, once again that hope diminishes," he said.

McLaughlin admits she's not really sure what to do from here.

"I had quit looking and now there is so much guilt and so many questions in my mind as to how I handled everything, maybe I need to pick everything back up and start looking again," she said.

That may be harder said than done. McLaughlin moved form Clear Creek County three years ago to start her life anew, and says she's finally happy now. She married her high school sweetheart and is working as a fraud investigator in Durango.

McLaughlin says it would be nice if someone were able to pick up on Beth's case where she left off. There are still many unanswered questions in the case. Or perhaps, this story that opened old wounds for McLaughlin, will do the same for whoever has information about Beth.

"You never know, whoever killed Beth, they are watching this too and hopefully it makes them wonder and question or at least think about making that phone call," she said.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=122217&catid=339
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.