March 28, 2024, 08:27:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Cubbee choose a laptop.....  (Read 5639 times)
cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 30, 2006, 09:16:13 PM »

Okay you monkeys, you were so helpful last Christmas helping this technically challenged soul learn about ipods that I am begging for your help again, I am so very sad that another Christmas is upon us and still no
justice for Natalee....

I am thinking about purchasing a laptop for my son for Christmas, he was wanting a Playstation 3, but I am not about to get myself trompled upon, shot at or pay megabucks for one on e-bay. He has been asking for a laptop, so I thought I might surprise him.But, the more I look the more confused I get.

Should I go with the duo core processor? How big of a hard drive is sufficient and how much RAM should I be looking for?
I have found several that I have been interested in, just not too sure about them.He will be downloading music, but he has an external hard drive to store that stuff on so how much difference does that make? If you have been around here for very long you know how technically challenged I can be.

Also , anyone have any opinions on the Acer brand that they always have on sale at Walmart? I have never heard of it....just wondering how much I need to shell out for a decent lappy and what I need to look for....

TYIA

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 10:45:48 PM »

Dear Cubbee,

I am not an oracle. But the Sony VAIO is the only computer I recommend and HP is the only printer I recommend.

As for the laptop, I recommend getting the biggest hard drive and the most RAM you can afford.

I have a generic Maxtor external hard drive with HUGE storage capacity.

But back to laptops, Sony VAIO. It is specially for artists and musicians and photographers.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:18:11 PM »

I would agree with Louise on getting the most capacity in memory and storage that you can afford.  Your son will more than likely use the computer for games, music and even video storage.  Be sure it has burning capabilities for DVD's as well as CD's and data storage discs.  This is something which isn't always a given.  You need to ask.

I am partial to Apple products because of my use through education and my own graphic and media needs.  My step son who is a professional musician (just moved to North Hollywood  Wink )  has been using a PC since graduating from college 12 years ago.  He is convinced that he can write and link his sound equipment more efficiently with an Apple so he is changing.   I suppose it is just a matter of what a person is used to and what applications they wish to use.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 02:07:33 AM »

GreatOwl,

HIGH FIVE (in my best Borat voice)!

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 06:36:58 AM »

Cubbee-

Louise is giving you good advice, so is Great Owl. I will tell you that my kids have seemed to run through Dells like paper, altho I have a multimedia Dell desktop that rocks for two years and I got the thing for a mere $900 with a 19" flatscreen monitor to boot?

Now I buy them Toshiba, largely because our PC repair guru told me Toshiba is in the shop the least and the most reliable. To date for us, that is true  Very Happy

I have an iPod but don't have an Apple PC or a Mac, so can't tell you anything about those.

I continue to stand with the girl.
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 06:44:48 AM »

Just great Louise..  

As far as the printer, Mrs. Owl has always used a HP.  She has an all in one which handles faxes, scanning and printing and even makes my breakfast.   Laughing

I have always used an Epson and the one I have is very simple except that I can print directly to a CD or DVD.  Neither of us have any complaint about either brand.

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »

Quote from: "nonesuche"
Cubbee-

Louise is giving you good advice, so is Great Owl. I will tell you that my kids have seemed to run through Dells like paper, altho I have a multimedia Dell desktop that rocks for two years and I got the thing for a mere $900 with a 19" flatscreen monitor to boot?

Now I buy them Toshiba, largely because our PC repair guru told me Toshiba is in the shop the least and the most reliable. To date for us, that is true  Very Happy

I have an iPod but don't have an Apple PC or a Mac, so can't tell you anything about those.

Hi Nonesuche,

When you say your kids run through Dells like paper, do you mean that you have trouble with them??  (Dells not kids, LOL) The reason I ask is because we have three Dells (one is a laptop) and all of them are giving us trouble one way or another.  I'm very frustrated; they seem to do fine for about 2 years and then pfffft!  I asked at Geek Squad when I brought in the laptop (fixable for about the same price as a new Dell laptop) and he says they see "more than their fair share" of Dells!  He also recommended Toshiba as the best laptop brand, followed by HP.  I hope Carnut sees this thread, he is very knowledgeable.  

Cubbee, I'd say avoid Dell, though the prices are very attractive.  If you choose Dell, buy an extended warranty; sure wish I had!  Crying or Very sad
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 04:33:26 PM »

OK, my recommendation is to buy the cheapest laptop you can find.
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 01:49:02 PM »

Quote from: "Carnut"

Really?  You don't find any difference in quality, Carnut?
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 06:48:25 PM »

Quote from: "A's Fever"
Quote from: "Carnut"

Really?  You don't find any difference in quality, Carnut?

I've owned 8 laptops, still have 4 running, my website webservers are running on 2 of my laptops. I kinda like laptops

No, I don't believe there's any difference in quality of features in laptops only differences in features/performance. And now a days, the slowest cheapest machine on the market will run circles around the fast machine available 2 years ago.

Many laptops are manufactured in the same factories overseas and just have different names put on them for the various vendors. Heck, look at the latest Sony battery problem, the batteries were heating up to the point of combustion, those batteries were used in several 'name brand' laptops and had to be recalled.

Any brand is gonna have lemons, but I still firmly believe the cheapest deal on the market is the best deal.

Course the best deals are the 'refurbished' deals, I haven't bought a brand new laptop since my first Sony Vaio Superslim model about 9 years ago.

I've had 3 Sony Vaio Superslims and 1 Sony Vaio Notebook and each only lasted a year or so in my service which is fairly robust.

I currently have 1 Toshiba Satellite that is my daily keypounding machine and 2 emachines and 1 Gateway which is a rebranded emachines after Gateway bought out emachines. For a time emachines were the cheapest equipment available new. I bought all of these as refurbished and about the cheapest deal available.

The 2 laptops I setup as my webservers are the new 'widescreen' wxga models which I really don't like. Bought the first wxga model and found I disliked it so much I went and set it up as a webserver, bought the second wxga model because is was such a good deal and I new in advance it was just going to be used as a webserver as well. Looks like my favorite 'square screen' xga models are getting few and far between.

My Square screen emachines

My Gateway rebranded emachines widescreen webserver

Similar  Model to my widescreen emachines

Toshiba like my current keypounding machine
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 01:57:07 AM »

Thanks very much for the info, Carnut!
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 02:14:00 AM »

Oh just in case you are curious about the Sony battery recall, here's some info:

Sony Battery Recall
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.