March 29, 2024, 02:51:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama, Varmus, and Vaccine Hysteria - Related?  (Read 1804 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: August 28, 2009, 01:20:14 PM »

I was looking at some articles about H1N1 and HPV.  A name came up a few times "Harold Varmus", currently an Obama's co-chair of PCAST, and formerly of the NIH.

Lots of stuff to consider.

Why all the H1N1 hysteria?

From an article about H1N1 -

Barbara Loe Fisher, president of the National Vaccine Information Center, has also weighed in..."And now, today, we have swine flu vaccines that are being rushed to market with even less testing that the fast-tracked Gardasil vaccine had, with the justification that there is a public health emergency," Fisher said on the NVIC website. "What public health emergency?"

Fisher said drug companies and the government were pushing the public toward hysteria.

"Why are we letting employees working for government agencies and pharmaceutical companies stampede us into taking vaccines that may not be necessary, safe or effective and - certainly - are not properly monitored for safety after they are given to tens of millions of children and adults?" she asked. "It is time to demand that government officials and drug companies stop conducting national vaccine experiments on the American people."

Others make more explicit claims about the links between the pharmaceutical industry and the government's stark assessments about the disease's potential deadliness and the need for mass vaccinations.

For example, Obama's co-chair of PCAST, Harold Varmus, has consulted with pharmaceutical companies, and as head of the National Institutes of Health in the 1990s dismantled the firewall between government research and pharmaceutical companies.

According to the Los Angeles Times, in late 1995, Varmus allowed agency directors to accept consulting payments from pharmaceutical companies, and ended a $25,000 annual cap on the amount of money an NIH employee could accept from outside employers, reporter David Willman wrote. Willman also said Varmus permitted NIH employees to accept stock or stock options from the industry.

Varmus is a well-known supporter of vaccinations. He is featured in a video on the Pfizer company website discussing, according to the company, "how a wider use of the new HPV vaccine could lower death rates."

http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=10046

Was Varmus a lobbyist?  A paid consultant for Phizer?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:28:43 PM »

Subverting U.S. Health

December 07, 2003

In 1955, reporter Edward R. Murrow asked Dr. Jonas Salk who owned the patent on the polio vaccine that Salk had invented. "Well, the people," a puzzled Salk responded. "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"

An article on today's front page by The Times' David Willman shows that instead, the NIH has become an arm of commerce, a place where objective science is being trampled in a stampede for market share.

The root of the corruption of the NIH -- and "corruption" is the appropriate word -- is the Bayh-Dole Act. That 1980 law, ferociously backed by drug makers, let federally funded researchers take out patents and otherwise work closely with "commercial concerns" to profit from their research. The law created technology-transfer offices not only at the NIH but in universities throughout the country whose job was to license their scientists' inventions to whatever company they thought was best able to get them swiftly to the marketplace. It gave agencies such as the NIH the mandate of a for-profit institution, contradicting their original missions. Finally, it gave Harold Varmus, the NIH's director through most of the '90s, the license to demolish private-public firewalls that had served the agency well. In one 1995 memo uncovered by Willman, Varmus ordered all institute and center directors to rescind a policy that had barred them from accepting consulting fees and stock payments from companies.

I wonder how much 'institute and center directors' make today from consulting fees and other compensation from companies?

Why doesn't the public come first?  Taxpayers?

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/dec/07/opinion/ed-nunih7

...NIH employees who make more than $102,168 a year are supposed to publicly report their outside income. Only 6% actually do, because the law is riddled with loopholes and managerial winks. If there is nothing wrong with these lucrative and secret deals, why hide them?

I wonder if those wrinkles are still there?  Sounds like the arguments for auditing the Federal Reserve. 

If there is nothing wrong with all these deals, why hide them?

The pharmaceutical industry is everywhere in Washington, all but writing the Medicare prescription drug bill, fielding more lobbyists than there are members of Congress, flinging gifts and trips at doctors and trying to prevent double-blind drug trials that pit one drug against another, instead of against a placebo.

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/dec/07/opinion/ed-nunih7?pg=1

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 01:34:24 PM »

How dangerous is H1N1?

Conflicts aside, just how dangerous is the H1N1 virus? So far, by all accounts, about as dangerous as any other influenza virus.

Some medical experts, such as Peter Collignon, an infectious diseases physician, microbiologist and professor at the School of Clinical Medicine at the Australian National University, says everyone should take a deep breath.

"Swine flu is not hyper-virulent," Collignon wrote in May. "While it spreads relatively easily it does not appear to be any more virulent that the strains we have circulating every year around the world."

At least one epidemiologist, Tom Jefferson of the Cochrane Collaboration, a nonprofit group that studies the effects of health care interventions, says he's amazed at how bad pandemic predictions have been, and yet the media takes them seriously over and over again.

"One of the extraordinary features of this influenza - and the whole influenza saga - is that there are some people who make predictions year after year, and they get worse and worse," he told the publication Spiegel International in July. "None of them so far have come about, and these people are still there making these predictions. For example, what happened with the bird flu, which was supposed to kill us all? Nothing. But that doesn't stop these people from always making their predictions. Sometimes you get the feeling that there is a whole industry almost waiting for a pandemic to occur."

And just who might that industry include?

"The WHO and public health officials, virologists and the pharmaceutical companies," he said. "They've built this machine around the impending pandemic. And there's a lot of money involved, and influence, and careers, and entire institutions. And all it took was one of these influenza viruses to mutate to start the machine grinding."

Asked if he was worried about the swine flu and if he and his family were taking precautions, Jefferson said he was taking no chances.

"I wash my hands very often," he said.

http://www.lakelandtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=9&ArticleID=10046

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 01:42:39 PM »

The article in my last post suggests that Obama will spend at least $9 billion and as much as $18 billion on vaccine. 

How much of that is profit for drug companies?  Which ones?

I keep in mind that Obama is giving 'small business' the opportunity for some DOE ($37 million) in grants.  No time to think your application is due is a few days. 

Billions to big pharma, a few millions to small business, and a select group at that.  How many millions to foreigners?  A $37 million publicity stunt?

Oops...maybe the foreigners are only interested in BILLIONS in battery grants and jobs.

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 02:46:57 AM »

If it is Obama Bin Laden then the money funnels to Saudi Arabia so they can finish the new world trade center in Dubai, they had to build it after they bombed with our own planes and properly demotions the world trade center in New York..
Then they put Obamamama in office.
Now it is payback time baby..

did You know that a currant bill in the Senate if passes. allows Obama to silence/cut off the Internet..
Yep they intend to give him a On / Off switch on his IPhone  Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.