March 29, 2024, 09:26:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Separation of Church and State? Only when it's Christians...  (Read 6415 times)
Carnut
Monkey Junky

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 04:43:59 PM »

Yeah, a lot of the Bible stuff has actually been added after the original constitution was written and a government was created.

Just like the words 'under god' were added to the pledge of alliegence in the 50's. I actually remember learning the pledge without the words in it.
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 05:37:10 PM »

Carnut, I know you are right. I am quite a bit older than most here and somewhere along the line I must have developed selective memory. I just think it fits in the pledge and do not remember it without it.

A's fever, I think what some of here are saying and this is just my opinion is Why are Christians the ones who have to give up rights. We live in a world where our young folks are growing up with violence in movies, video games and the home. Yes, some of this has gone on forever. Somehow there was always some hope. When the 10 commandments were able to be posted anywhere. Prayer was able to be participated in anywhere. Just maybe seeing and hearing these things on a daily basis it might affect some of the young minds who were not getting it from home.

The 10 commandments may be a Bible thing but they are also good rules to live by. Even the Lords prayer says to forgive those who tresspass against you. Again this is JMHO.
Sam

Just a swinging with the tribe
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 02:41:52 AM »

Yes, I understand what you are saying Sam and generally agree with you.

I just worry that in our fear, in this scary post 9/11 world, that some of our own basic freedoms are threatened.  The freedom of speech, and freedom to engage in religious practices of our choice (or none).

With Christians, Jews, Muslims and who knows what other groups all shouting discrimination over so many things, one wonders where tolerance has gone in this great melting pot of ours.  I find that scary also.  We are such a diverse population, must find ways to live together peacefully.
Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 12:41:01 PM »

Quote from: "A's Fever"
Yes, I understand what you are saying Sam and generally agree with you.

I just worry that in our fear, in this scary post 9/11 world, that some of our own basic freedoms are threatened.  The freedom of speech, and freedom to engage in religious practices of our choice (or none).

With Christians, Jews, Muslims and who knows what other groups all shouting discrimination over so many things, one wonders where tolerance has gone in this great melting pot of ours.  I find that scary also.  We are such a diverse population, must find ways to live together peacefully.

A's I agree with everything you have said here.

I do want to live in a world where everyones thoughts are respected as long as my thoughts are also. One interesting thing I read and did not bring a link is that the Rabbi who protested the Christmas tree at the airport withdrew his complaint so the airport could put the tree back up.
So he was trying to be tolerant as well. JMHO
Sam

Just a swinging with the tribe
A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »

Sam, I read that also.  The Rabbi says that he never asked for the trees to be removed, only that a Menorah be included in the display.  The airport decided to remove the trees rather than risk litigation.
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.