April 19, 2024, 02:12:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Citizenship, Voting, and One Man, One Vote...  (Read 1379 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: September 08, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »

Should folks with dual citizenship be voting in more than one country?  Dual allegiance?

I found this interesting piece on the web today -

Will American's future one day be decided by those with dual citizenship/allegiances?

The constitution of Belize has a dual citizenship clause that gives Belizeans who possess dual citizenships the right to vote. However, Belizeans who possess dual citizenships have not been given that right by either of their governments over the years in allowing them to vote through proxy voting. The denial of this right is a violation of their constitutional right.
While this right exists, it is contradictory to say that they can vote but cannot run for office. In a democracy, if a person can vote, then the person should also be qualified to run for office as a citizen of that country if he or she meets the requirements set forth in the Elections and Boundaries Law or in the People’s Representation Ordinance.

http://caribbeancourtofjustice.blogspot.com/

Is it a good thing for people to vote on policy in two nations?

Can an individual serve two masters?

In the U.S. how many will owe allegiance to foreign governments?

In the olden days, immigrants (like my family) stayed and didn't return to vote, didn't vote by absentee ballot, and stayed in America.

What does the future in the U.S. look like when more and more immigrant citizens can vote in the nations of origin to?

Can anyone vote in foreign countries?  Maybe apply for citizenship through the mail?  Wait for Amnesty?  Reform?

What countries, in addition to the U.S. do you want to vote in?

Maybe it's time to review naturalization and the right to vote.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »

Can you imagine an America where 50% or more of 'citizens' hold dual citizenship?  50% of the ballots are absentee and sent to foreign countries? 

Any one think all these folks would be voting in American's best interests?

Maybe it would be better if they could vote over the internet too?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.