March 29, 2024, 04:18:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amanda Knox GUILTY in Italy 2009 - Appealed/OVERTURNED 2011  (Read 108301 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/03/amanda-knox-legal-drama-not-quite-over/
Amanda Knox Legal Drama Not Quite Over
March 22, 2013

It has been more than a year since Amanda Knox was cleared of murder charges in an Italian court, but the legal drama for the Seattle woman is not yet over.

Italian prosecutors appealing Knox’s release from prison are due to appear in court Monday in Rome, where they will argue to have her murder conviction reinstated.

Knox, 25, was convicted in December 2009 for the 2007 murder of her British roommate Meredith Kercher in the Italian city of Perugia. Knox’s Italian boyfriend at the time, Raffaele Sollecito, was also convicted.
The pair was freed from prison four years later in October 2011 when an Italian appeals court threw out the guilty verdict and criticized the prosecution’s case.
A third person, Rudy Guede, was convicted in a separate trial and is serving a 16 year prison sentence. Guede’s DNA was found on Kercher’s body, clothing and purse, and his bloody shoeprints and handprints were left in her bedroom.
There was no DNA of Knox in the bedroom where her roommate was murdered.
Knox, now a student at the University of Washington, will not be present for Monday’s hearing.  If prosecutors are successful, Knox and Sollecito will face a re-trial.
If the Supreme Court upholds Knox and Sollecito’s acquittal, their legal battle is officially over.  The Supreme Court is the third – and final – step in the Italian judicial process.
Knox’s defense team has also appealed the slander conviction she received for accusing her former boss, Patrick Lumumba, of Kercher’s murder.  Knox testified in 2009 that she accused Lumumba only after she was hit in the head and yelled at during a nearly 50-hour long interrogation.
Knox served her three-year sentence for the slander conviction during the four years she spent in prison.
If her slander conviction is overturned, Knox can seek compensation for false imprisonment.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #301 on: March 25, 2013, 06:07:46 AM »

http://www.today.com/video/today/51308344/#51308344

another new link video........

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #302 on: March 25, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/03/amanda-knox-case-back-in-court-court-hears-appeal-to-knox-acquittal-86628.html
Amanda Knox case back in court: Court hears appeal to Knox acquittal
March 25, 2013

ROME (AP) - Italy's highest court delayed until Tuesday a decision on whether American student Amanda Knox will face a new trial in the murder of her British roommate - an unusual but not unprecedented move.

Continue reading
The court heard six hours of arguments Monday and spent several hours deliberating that and a handful of other cases before announcing it would issue a decision at 10 a.m. (0900 GMT) Tuesday on whether the 2011 acquittals of Knox and her Italian ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito will stand.

Italian prosecutors have asked the high court to throw out the acquittals of Knox and Sollecito in the murder of 21-year-old British student Meredith Kercher and order a new trial.

The high court normally issues the decisions the same day it hears arguments. But prosecutor general Luigi Riello told reporters that "in very complex cases, it happens" that the court takes another day.

Lawyers for Sollecito declined to speculate on what the delay could mean for the decision. Sollecito's father was calm about the development.

"We have waited so many years, one night is not going to make a difference," Francesco Sollecito said outside the courthouse. He said he hadn't spoken to his son, who did not attend the hearing, about the day's proceedings.

Knox, meanwhile, was waiting anxiously in Seattle to hear if her long legal battle is over.

"She's carefully paying attention to what will come out," attorney Luciano Ghirga said as he arrived at Italy's Court of Cassation in Rome. "This is a fundamental stage. The trial is very complex."
Knox and Sollecito were convicted and given long prison sentences: 26 years for Knox, 25 for Sollecito. But an appeals court acquitted them in 2011, criticizing virtually the entire case mounted by prosecutors. The appellate court noted that the murder weapon was never found, said that DNA tests were faulty and added that Knox and Sollecito had no motive to kill Kercher.

After nearly four years behind bars in Italy, Knox returned to her hometown of Seattle and Sollecito resumed his computer science studies. Knox is now a student at the University of Washington, according to her family spokesman, Dave Marriott.

In the second and final level of appeal, prosecutors are now seeking to overturn the acquittals, while defense attorneys say they should stand.

The court can decide to confirm the acquittal, making it final, or throw out the Perugia appellate court ruling entirely or partially, remanding the case to a new appeals court trial.

In that case, Italian law cannot compel Knox to return to Italy. The Italian appellate court hearing the case could declare her in contempt of court but that carries no additional penalties.

It is unclear what would happen if she was convicted in a new appeals trial.

"If the court orders another trial, if she is convicted at that trial and if the conviction is upheld by the highest court, then Italy could seek her extradition," Knox's lawyer Carlo Dalla Vedova said.

Italy is not obliged to seek her extradition but it could decide to do so. Then it would be up to the United States to decide if it honors the request. U.S. and Italian authorities could also come to a deal that would keep Knox in the United States.
Before the court, Bongiorno argued there was an "unending series of errors by scientific police" in how they handled evidence in the case, including the fact that the crime scene had been disturbed "and possibly contaminated" during the investigation.

A young man from Ivory Coast, Rudy Guede, was convicted of the slaying in a separate proceeding and is serving a 16-year sentence. Kercher's family has resisted theories that Guede acted alone.
The court is also hearing Knox's appeal against a slander conviction for having accused a local pub owner of carrying out the killing. The man was held for two weeks based on her allegations, but was then released for lack of evidence.

Riello argued that conviction should stand because "you cannot drag in an innocent person while exercising your right to a defense."

Knox's lawyer Dalla Vedova said the slander verdict should be thrown out because Knox had not been advised that she was a suspect during the questioning.

"The girl was confused, worn out" after 14 hours of questioning by police that stretched overnight, Dalla Vedova said, adding that while Knox was alone, 36 investigators signed the interrogation sheet.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #303 on: March 25, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/International/amanda-knox-murder-prosecution-argues/story?id=18805394
Amanda Knox Lawyer Says Prosecution 'Started with An Error'
March 25, 2013

(2 pgs)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #304 on: March 26, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-26/knox-to-face-retrial-over-murder-allegations/4595982?google_editors_picks=true
Italian court orders Knox to face murder retrial
March 25, 2013

Italy's top acquittals court has ruled that American student Amanda Knox should face a retrial over the murder of her British housemate.

Meredith Kercher, 21, was found dead in her bedroom in the Italian town of Perugia in 2007.

Her body was found half-naked with more than 40 wounds and her throat had been slashed, in what prosecutors argued was a drug-fuelled sex attack.

Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito were initially found guilty and sentenced to 26 and 25 years in prison respectively.

In 2011, after spending four years in prison, they were freed by an appeals court.

The Court of Cassation has now upheld a 2012 prosecution appeal against their acquittals, and ordered the pair to face a retrial.
More...

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #305 on: May 01, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/05/amanda-knox-doing-great-after-feeling-hated-for-so-long/
Amanda Knox ‘Doing Great’ After Feeling ‘Hated for So Long’
May 1, 2013

Amanda Knox  said today she is “doing great” but said that it took a while for her get that way after spending four years in an Italian prison and being “so hated for so long.”
Knox discussed her years after prison today with “Good Morning America” anchor Robin Roberts, her voice at times quavery with emotion.
“I’m doing great and it’s incredible to feel that again because I felt so stunted and so limited and so hated for so long,” Knox, 25, said.  “It’s nice not to have to have that all the time.”
During the investigation and trial for the murder of her roommate Meredith Kercher  in Perugia, Italy, Knox was called a devil and reviled in tabloid press, accused of killing Kercher in a sex game gone wrong.
Knox, now a student at the University of Washington in Seattle, describes her life today as full of “wonderful” friends, a “wonderful” boyfriend and “great teachers.”  She is not, however, the same 20-year-old who traveled to Perugia, Italy, in 2007 to study abroad.

Video (First Live Interview) at Link

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #306 on: May 03, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »

I think that she is innocent....
Am I mistaken?

cadillac
Monkey Junky

« Reply #307 on: May 03, 2013, 08:32:38 PM »

Am I mistaken?
Cookie,

I have her memoir on hold at the library to read, so I don't have a definite opinion as of yet.

I find it really hard to believe she had something to do with this crime as of now. 

I know it is her version - but if she had something to do with this crime why would she be writing this and bringing it to the forefront?  JMO
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »

Am I mistaken?
Cookie,

I have her memoir on hold at the library to read, so I don't have a definite opinion as of yet.

I find it really hard to believe she had something to do with this crime as of now. 

I know it is her version - but if she had something to do with this crime why would she be writing this and bringing it to the forefront?  JMO

Just a case that I can not say 100% that I think that she is guilty or innocent, like most case that I have an opinion on. But am leaning towards innocent. No reason or motive that I can see.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2013, 06:47:37 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/18/world/europe/italy-amanda-knox-case/?sr=google_news&google_editors_picks=true
Italian court on reason for Knox retrial: Evidence neglected
June 18, 2013

(CNN) -- Italy's supreme court on Tuesday explained its earlier ruling that American Amanda Knox be retried in the 2007 death of her roommate, saying the jury that acquitted her didn't consider all the evidence, and that discrepancies in testimony need to be answered.
The high court also said evidence could support prosecutors' initial argument -- that Meredith Kercher was killed in a twisted sex misadventure game at Kercher and Knox's home in Italy, the high court said, according to Italian news agency ANSA.
The appeals court jury that acquitted Knox and her ex-boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, in 2011 "neglected significant evidence" and theories, the high court said in a 74-page explanation.
Knox and Sollecito's retrial, which could start as soon as the fall, should examine discrepancies in testimony, the high court said. These include differing witness accounts of when screaming could be heard from the home, ANSA reported.
The high court overturned the acquittals in March, but withheld its full reasoning until Tuesday.
Knox: 'I feel bad for my younger self' Amanda Knox: I was stunned
Knox and Sollecito's retrial, which could start as soon as the fall, should examine discrepancies in testimony, the high court said. These include differing witness accounts of when screaming could be heard from the home, ANSA reported.
The high court overturned the acquittals in March, but withheld its full reasoning until Tuesday.
Kercher, a 21-year-old British exchange student, was found stabbed to death in November 2007 in the villa she rented with Knox, then 20, in the central Italian university town of Perugia.
Knox: Sometimes I can't stop crying
Knox and Sollecito were arrested that year and convicted in 2009 of murder in Kercher's death, but the jury overturned the conviction in 2011. Knox then returned to her home city of Seattle, Washington.
In legal paperwork published in December 2011, the judge in the case wrote that the jury had cleared the pair of murder for lack of evidence proving they were guilty.
Another man, Ivorian drifter Rudy Guede, was convicted separately of Kercher's killing. Guede admitted having sexual relations with Kercher but denied killing her.
Francesco Maresca, attorney for Kercher's family, appeared satisfied after reading the high court's reasoning Tuesday.
The ruling "represents a very harsh judgment of the appeal trial," Maresca said.
An attorney for Knox said that he respects the ruling but he doesn't agree with it. The high court, he said, was supposed to consider only the legitimacy of the appeal but instead attempted to re-examine the whole case.
"This means that we are going to do again a trial that has already been done, a trial in which there is no clear evidence," attorney Carlo Della Vedova said.
Knox may be ordered to return to Italy for the retrial. If she refuses, the Italian government could appeal to the U.S. government for her extradition. But even if it does, it's not clear whether the United States would extradite her.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #310 on: August 25, 2013, 03:57:31 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/International/attorney-amanda-knox-attend-italy-murder-trial/story?id=20061649&google_editors_picks=true
Attorney: Amanda Knox Won't Attend New Italy Murder Trial
August 25, 2013

Amanda Knox will not return to Italy to attend a new appeals trial over the 2007 killing of her British roommate, one of her attorneys said.

Knox's attorney Luciano Ghirga was quoted in the Florence paper La Nazione saying he met with the former Seattle college student and fellow defense team members in the United States recently, and Knox stated she wouldn't return to Italy for the new trial, The Associated Press reported.

The trial is set to begin in Florence on Sept. 30.

The 25-year-old spent four years in prison after being convicted of Meredith Kercher's murder in Perugia, Italy, where they were roommates while studying abroad.

An Italian appeals court threw out Knox's murder conviction in 2011. In March, however, the Italian Supreme Court rejected the Appeals Court ruling and ordered a new trial for Knox and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 29.

The Supreme Court filed its "motivation," a written document that spells out the court's reasoning on June 18.

The court's 74-page document indicates that the Supreme Court judges supported the prosecutors' original theory that Kercher possibly died during a forced "erotic game" that got violent, according to the Italian news agency AGI.

The Supreme Court judges are not judging the merit or worth of the testimony or evidence, but rather the process that the Appeals Court used to reach its verdict.

The judges said the appeal had to be annulled "due to the multiple shortcomings, contradictory events and manifest lack of logical reasoning."

The sex game gone wrong theory was initially suggested by the prosecutors, but the motive later evolved during the trial into simmering enmity between the women because Knox allegedly brought boys home late at night and was sloppy, and Kercher allegedly accused her of stealing money. The prosecution ended the first trial by telling the jury sometimes people commit violence without a motive.

The judges' document mentioned looking at a "wide range of possible hypothetical options," including "the change in a program which at first only included the involvement of the English young woman in a sex game which she didn't share, to exclusively forcing her into a group kinky erotic game, which exploded, getting out of control."

Knox's lawyer Carlo Dalla Vedova said he disagreed with the court's ruling when it was announced.

"We respect the Supreme Court's decision, but we do not agree with it," Vedova told ABC News. "All the facts were analyzed already. So now we simply re-start and re-do the case. We are ready to start again in Florence, and we are looking forward to defending Amanda. She is completely innocent."

Knox does not have to return to Italy for the trial, and extradition is not currently on the table.

If she is convicted again, that ruling would most likely be appealed up to the Italian Supreme Court.

Only if the Supreme Court upholds the guilty verdict could extradition even begin.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2013, 03:57:33 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/20/amanda-knox-retrial/2841811/
Amanda Knox on retrial: 'Everything is at stake'
AP 1:34 p.m. EDT September 20, 2013

Knox refuses to return to Italy for retrial despite the risk of being prosecuted
NEW YORK (AP) — American student Amanda Knox on Friday defended her decision not to return to Italy for a new appeals trial over the 2007 killing of her British roommate, even as she acknowledged that "everything is at stake," insisting she is innocent.

"I was already imprisoned as innocent person in Italy, and I can't reconcile the choice to go back with that experience," Knox said in an interview with Matt Lauer on NBC's "Today" show. "I just can't relive that."

Lauer asked Knox if she worried that she was handing prosecutors an admission of guilt by not attending the trial.

The Seattle native replied, "I look at it of an admission of innocence, to be quite honest."
<snipped>

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #312 on: September 30, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11132669
Amanda Knox retrial: New DNA test approved
October 1, 2013

A court hearing Amanda Knox's second appeals trial accepted a request to run additional DNA tests on the presumed weapon in the murder of Meredith Kercher, but rejected most other defence requests for new testimony or evidence.

Presiding Judge Alessandro Nencini said the court agreed to test one DNA trace not previously examined because it had been deemed too small. A court-ordered review in the first appeals trial, which acquitted both Knox and her former Italian boyfriend, discredited DNA evidence on the kitchen knife linked to Kercher.

The court also agreed to the prosecution's request to again hear testimony from a jailed Mafioso, Luciano Aviello, who has accused his brother in the murder. Aviello, a mobster who has been convicted of several crimes including defamation, is to testify on Friday.

Italy's highest court in March ordered a new trial for Knox and her former Italian boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, overturning their acquittals in Kercher's gruesome 2007 killing. The star defendant and her former boyfriend were both absent at its opening Monday.

During opening statements, lawyers for Knox and Sollecito requested an array of new expert opinions and evidence to reach a definitive verdict, but the court rejected most of them.

Knox defence lawyer Carlo Dalla Vedova said there was a risk of an "infinite trial," since the charge of murder has no statute of limitations. Sollecito's lawyer, Giulia Bongiorno, asked the court to accept only "reliable evidence," saying the intense media attention on the case had affected the three previous trials.

The appellate court in Florence is expected to re-examine forensic evidence to determine whether Knox and her ex-boyfriend helped kill the 21-year-old Kercher while the two women shared an apartment in the Umbrian university town of Perugia. The prosecution advanced the theory that Kercher died during a sex-fueled game gone bad.

Knox's protracted legal battle in Italy has made her a cause celebre in the United States and has put the Italian justice system under scrutiny. The Italian system does not include US Fifth Amendment protection against a defendant being put in double jeopardy by government prosecution.

At the same time, the trials have left the Kercher family without clear answers in the death of their daughter.

Kercher's body was found in November 2007 in her bedroom of the house she shared with Knox in Perugia, a central Italian town popular with foreign exchange students. Her throat had been slashed.

A third man, Rudy Guede, was convicted in the slaying and is serving a 16-year term. That court found that Guede had not acted alone.

"We are still convinced of the presence of all three of the defendants at the scene of the crime," Kercher family lawyer Francesco Maresca told reporters. "I think (Knox) is talking too much, sincerely, and this attitude of continuous playing the victim is inappropriate."

In its stunning 2011 acquittal that overturned Knox and Sollecito's convictions, a Perugia appeals court criticized virtually the prosecution's entire case. The appellate court noted that the murder weapon was never found, said that DNA tests were faulty, and that prosecutors provided no murder motive.

Yet the Court of Cassation ruling was likewise strident, criticizing the appeals court ruling and saying it "openly collides with objective facts of the case." The high court said the appellate judges had ignored some evidence, considered other evidence insufficiently and undervalued the fact that Knox had initially accused a man of committing the crime who had nothing to do with it.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #313 on: September 30, 2013, 10:29:59 PM »

http://www.smh.com.au/world/amanda-knoxs-dna-was-not-in-bedroom-where-meredith-kercher-died-court-told-20131001-2uppt.html
Amanda Knox’s DNA was not in bedroom where Meredith Kercher died, court told
October 1, 2013

Amanda Knox’s DNA was nowhere to be found in the bedroom in which Meredith Kercher was found stabbed to death, an Italian court heard on Monday.

On the first day of the American’s retrial, the court in Florence was told that there was ample DNA evidence from Rudy Guede, the Ivorian drifter who is serving a 16-year jail sentence after being convicted of the sexual assault and murder of Miss Kercher, 21.

‘‘How is it possible to find traces of Guede in enormous quantities but not a single trace of Amanda?’’ Giulia Bongiorno, representing Miss Knox’s ex-boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, 29, asked. ‘‘How is it possible that the only trace of Raffaele, which naturally we contest, was on the bra strap?’’

Tiny traces of Mr Sollecito’s DNA were found on a strap torn from Miss Kercher’s bra in the violent struggle that led to her death. But the strap was only discovered by forensic officers on the floor of the bedroom 47 days after the murder.

Advertisement
Defence lawyers maintain that it was subject to so much DNA contamination that it cannot be admitted as reliable.

The appeals court agreed yesterday to a prosecution request that fresh testing be carried out on a minute trace of DNA on the kitchen knife that was allegedly used to stab Miss Kercher to death. It had not been examined previously because forensic experts said it was too scant to produce reliable results. The handle of the knife bore traces of Miss Knox’s DNA, but her lawyers said that was no surprise because it came from a kitchen drawer in her boyfriend’s flat.

Alessandro Nencini, the judge in charge of the retrial, also agreed to hear testimony from Luciano Aviello, a member of the Camorra mafia, who has claimed that his brother killed Miss Kercher during a bungled robbery and that Miss Knox, now 26, is innocent.

As well as Miss Knox and Mr Sollecito, none of the Kercher family was in court for the retrial.

But her family sent a letter to the judge in which they said they were keen to see crucial pieces of evidence reviewed.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #314 on: October 06, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/10/04/amanda-knox-retrial-takes-supernatural-turn?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Amanda Knox retrial takes supernatural turn
By Graham Winch
updated 12:58 PM EDT, Fri October 04, 2013

Knox is facing her third retrial in Italy for allegedly killing a British exchange student in 2007
    An ex-gangster testifies in Knox's retrial that a séance told her where the murder weapon is located
Amanda Knox’s retrial took a bizarre turn Friday as an ex-gangster testified that a séance told her the murder weapon used to kill British exchange student Meredith Kercher in 2007 is still buried in a garden in Perugia, Italy, near the scene of the alleged slaying.

Knox and her ex-boyfriend and co-defendant Raffaele Sollecito are facing their third retrial for Kercher’s death. The latest trial officially got under way Monday morning in a Florence courtroom.

Convicted gangster Lucia (formerly Luciana) Aviello, who is undergoing gender reassignment therapy, testified Friday that her brother, Antonio Aviello, killed Kercher.

"On the accusation of my brother, I have not changed my testimony. My brother is guilty. It was not Amanda nor Sollecito," said Aviello.
<snipped>

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #315 on: November 06, 2013, 05:53:42 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57611019/amanda-knoxs-ex-boyfriend-raffaele-sollecito-to-appear-in-italy-retrial-for-murder-of-british-student/
CBS News/ November 6, 2013, 4:34 AM
Amanda Knox's ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito to appear in Italy retrial for murder of British student

Florence, Italy Seattle-born Amanda Knox won't be at Wednesday's appeal hearing in a Florence court, but her former Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito will.
He has just returned from a holiday in the Dominican Republic. Knox has made clear she has no intention of returning from the United States, where she is attending university, for the trial. Both have already spent four years in Italian prisons.

It's the first time either of the defendants will attend one of the hearings in the re-trial of the pair, which was ordered by Italy's high court earlier this year because, it said, their 2011 acquittal was full of "shortcomings, contradictions and inconsistencies."

~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #316 on: November 06, 2013, 09:38:01 AM »

An expert testifying in Amanda Knox's retrial, says the presumed murder weapon shows a new DNA trace belonging to Knox.
1 hr ago| By Associated Press

FLORENCE, Italy — Expert testimony in the third murder trial of U.S. student Amanda Knox says tests on the presumed murder weapon show a new DNA trace belongs to Knox, not the victim.

The result bolsters the defense, which claims the knife was not the weapon used to kill British student Meredith Kercher. Another piece of DNA on the knife blade initially attributed to Kercher was disputed on appeal.

Knox defense lawyer Carlo dalla Vedova told The Associated Press that the evidence shows the knife was a simple kitchen knife used by Knox. Earlier evidence showed her DNA on the handle.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #317 on: November 06, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/11/06/amanda-knox-dna-murder/3451775/
Amanda Knox's ex-lover pleads for acquittal
November 6, 2013

The Italian man accused with American Amanda Knox of killing her roommate in 2007 pleaded with a Florence court Wednesday to acquit him, asking for "the chance to live a life."

Raffaele Sollecito and Knox were convicted in 2009 of killing British student Meredith Kercher, 21, in Perugia, Italy. Each was sentenced to more than 20 years in prison. The convictions were overturned two years later, and Knox returned to the U.S. The Florence court is hearing the prosecution appeal, but Knox has remained at home in Seattle.

An emotional Sollecito told the hearing that he felt "persecuted" and asked the court to "correct the errors" of those who have condemned him, the Italian newspaper Gazzetta del Sud reported.

"I feel towards me a senseless, shocking persecution," Sollecito said. "I would like to make you understand that these charges against me are absurd."

Sollecito acknowledged that he hadn't taken the accusations seriously enough because he was so caught up with his new romance with Knox. Sollecito described Knox as his "first true love."

"I hope I'll have the chance to live a life, a life, because at the moment I don't have a real life," he said. "That's what I'm asking you."

He added that he is from an "honest" family and was raised to tell the truth. Sollecito returned to Italy this week from an extended holiday in the Dominican Republic, which has no extradition agreement with Italy, his lawyer said before the hearing. "He has come to show that he is not running away," Luca Maori said.

In other testimony Wednesday, expert witness Andrea Berti testified about a minute new DNA trace from a kitchen knife prosecutors have pointed to as a possible murder weapon. Berti said it appeared to match Knox's DNA, but not the DNA of Kercher, Sollecito or Rudy Guede, an Ivorian man who has been convicted separately in the slaying.

Prosecutors contend the knife was the murder weapon because it matched Kercher's wounds, and presented evidence in the first trial that it contained Kercher's DNA on the blade and Knox's on the handle.

Defense lawyers say the DNA evidence makes it less likely that the knife was used to kill Kercher.

Prosecutors begin their closing this month, and the defense in December. A verdict should come soon after, but either side can appeal.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #318 on: November 06, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Latest-News-Wires/2013/1106/Amanda-Knox-case-Knife-had-no-DNA-from-victim
Amanda Knox case: Knife had no DNA from victim
Amanda Knox case: A DNA expert testified Wednesday in Italy that the so-called murder weapon, a knife, had no DNA on it from the victim. His testimony supports the defense of Amanda Knox and her boyfriend.
November 6, 2013

A court-appointed expert testifying in US. student Amanda Knox's third murder trial in Italy said Wednesday that a new trace of DNA found on the handle of the knife alleged to have been the murder weapon belongs to Knox and not the victim.
As things stand, there's no confirmed DNA belonging to Kercher on the knife; one piece of DNA on its blade that was first attributed to Kercher has been disputed on appeal.

Expert Andrea Berti testified Wednesday that the minute new DNA trace from the knife's handle showed "considerable affinity" with Knox's DNA, while not matching that of Kercher. It also did not match the DNA of Knox's co-defendant Raffaele Sollecito or Rudy Guede, an Ivorian man who has been convicted separately in the brutal slaying.

Knox defense lawyer Carlo Dalla Vedova told The Associated Press that the testimony confirms their contention that the knife was used solely for preparing food. "The report confirms that this is a kitchen knife. It is not a murder weapon," Dalla Vedova said.

Luca Maori, Sollecito's defense lawyer, said the trace's very existence also indicated the knife had not been washed. "It is something very important," he said. "It is absurd to use it for a murder and put it back in the drawer."

The DNA evidence on the knife found in a drawer at Sollecito's place has been among the most hotly contested pieces of evidence in the original trial and now in two appeals.

Knox and Sollecito were convicted in 2009 of murdering Kercher, and sentenced to 26 and 25 years in jail, respectively. The conviction was overturned on appeal in 2011, freeing Knox to return to the United States where she remains for the latest appeal.

Prosecutors have contended the knife was the murder weapon because it matched Kercher's wounds, and presented evidence in the first trial that it contained Kercher's DNA on the blade and Knox's on the handle.

However, a court-ordered review during the first appeal in Perugia, where the murder happened, discredited the DNA evidence. It said there were glaring errors in evidence-collecting and that below-standard testing and possible contamination raised doubts over the DNA traces linked to Kercher on the blade, as well as Sollecito's DNA on Kercher's bra clasp.

Italy's highest court, however, ordered a fresh appeals trial, blasting the acquittal as full of contradictions and questioning failures to retest some of the DNA evidence in light of advanced new technology.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #319 on: November 25, 2013, 03:07:30 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/11/25/second-knox-trial-arguments/3700059/
Prosecutor outlines case in second trial of Amanda Knox
November 25, 2013

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.