April 19, 2024, 05:32:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabeth Smart, Woman charged in her kidnapping seeks forgivness..  (Read 23434 times)
Edward
Monkey Junky

« on: September 28, 2009, 02:42:01 AM »

In letters written to her mother, the woman charged in the 2002 kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart has sought forgiveness for any pain she has caused and says she expects to spend the rest of her life in prison.

Wanda Eileen Barzee, 63, however, makes just one reference to Smart in the 12 letters obtained by The Associated Press. And she doesn't provide details about the nine months the girl allegedly spent with her and her now-estranged husband Brian David Mitchell.

The couple is charged with multiple felonies in state court and last year was indicted by a federal grand jury.

"In one of these letters, Wanda is remembering the sins that she did," said Barzee's mother, 88-year-old Dora Corbett, who provided letters sent between July 2008 and August 2009 to The AP. "She doesn't talk about it, she just remembers them and says she needs to repent of them."

But Barzee writes of repentance only when discussing her desire to be re-baptized in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In a June 21 letter, she recounts talking to a local church leader about the steps necessary to regain her membership, which includes making a full confession.

"He knows that Elizabeth Smart and I were victims of Brian," wrote Barzee, who was excommunicated by the church in 2002.

Smart's father, Ed Smart, said Barzee may be making progress, but she's not a victim.

"They're trying to build a case of sympathy on Wanda and I just don't have any sympathy for it," he said. "I think she has manipulated ... maybe not just as much (as Mitchell), but I believe that she is very, very culpable."

Barzee has twice been found incompetent for trial and is undergoing forced treatment with anti-psychotic medications. Doctors have said Barzee was delusional and believed she was hearing messages from God through the television. She's scheduled to appear in state court for a competency review on Oct. 23.

Barzee writes of the hearing, and says she imagines her social worker "has found me competent, but won't know for sure until I have been given another evaluation."

"Needless to say how nervous I am," she writes in an Aug. 11 letter. Her missives are written in small, disciplined cursive on lined yellow note paper and most are signed "Love forever, Wanda," followed by a chain of five tiny hand-drawn hearts.

Depending on the report from doctors, Barzee's case could proceed toward trial, she could be ordered to more treatment, or prosecutors could seek to have her civilly committed.

Scott Williams, Barzee's attorney, said he could not comment on the letters but said it was Corbett's right to share communications between her and her daughter.

Privacy laws prevent state officials from commenting about any patient at the hospital, Utah Department of Human Services spokeswoman Elizabeth Solis said.

Barzee was arrested March 12, 2003, walking the streets of a Salt Lake City suburb with Mitchell and Smart. That was nine months after Mitchell allegedly cut through a window screen at the Smarts' Salt Lake City home and whisked away the then-14-year-old Smart at knifepoint.

A one-time itinerant street preacher, Mitchell is said to have wanted Smart as a polygamous wife and may have taken her to fulfill a religious prophecy he laid out in a 27-page manifesto drafted in April 2002. Mitchell, 55, has also been found incompetent to stand trial. His state case is stalled, but a federal case against him continues.

"For the seriousness of my charges, and the number of five first-degree felonies, besides being federally charged, I am expecting to receive a life sentence in prison," Barzee wrote in an Aug. 11 letter to her mother.

"Unless I can obtain the plea of not guilty by reason of insanity which will enable me to stay here" at the Utah State Hospital, Barzee wrote.

Doctors at the state hospital, where Barzee has spent most of the last six years, began administering anti-psychotic drugs after an appeal of a 2006 forced medication order was rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court in May 2008.

Barzee had long refused medication for religious reasons. She maintains those objections in a July 29, 2008 letter, saying the medication she is forced to take "has not changed anything of my thought processes" and that it is her "constitutional right to worship the Lord God in how I choose to worship."

Corbett, however, believes the medication has put Barzee on a road to recovery and said the evidence is in the tone of Barzee's letters.

In the earliest years of incarceration, Barzee would reject letters and cards from Corbett, returning them after scrawling "no such person" on the envelopes. When Barzee did respond, many of her letters were signed, "Hephzibah Eladah Isaiah," the name Mitchell had given Barzee, Corbett said.

"Sometimes, she wouldn't even address me as mother," Corbett said.

But by April 14, 2009, Barzee writes that she was working with a social worker toward becoming competent, and she apologizes for any suffering she has caused her family and denounces the religious authority she once believed Mitchell held over her.

"For all the priesthood blessings given to me by Brian's hand where I have felt edified and at peace ... it is extremely difficult to imagine or comprehend how I was deceived and lied to," she wrote. "I am so sorry, Mother ... Can you forgive me?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/ap_on_re_us/us_elizabeth_smart_letters_2

I do not like this one bit..
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »

what are you thoughts Edward?

MsVada
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 10:28:31 AM »

Wow,  I'm not sure what I think.  I'd have to give some thought on this one, and I too am curious to see what Edward thinks........

Maine, born and raised!
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 11:18:02 AM »

Smart should not have any communication with the predators..
 She was already brainwashed once by them and she is an easy victim and every part of our law system and news system should keep them apart.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »

Smart should not have any communication with the predators..
 She was already brainwashed once by them and she is an easy victim and every part of our law system and news system should keep them apart.

definitely!

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:09:20 PM »

Elizabeth Smart says abductor raped her daily
SALT LAKE CITY, Thu Oct 01, 01:08 PM

Elizabeth Smart says she was raped repeatedly each day after she was abducted from her bedroom seven years ago and told she would be killed if she yelled or tried to escape.

Smart testified Thursday morning in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City as part of a competency proceedings for the man charged in her 2002 kidnapping.

Brian David Mitchell has twice been found incompetent for trial in state court. Mitchell and his estranged wife were found with Smart nine months after she disappeared from her Salt Lake City home.

A judge ruled earlier this week that testimony from Smart, now 21, is relevant to Mitchell's mental competency.

Smart testified that Mitchell was motivated by sex and used religion to get what he wanted.

http://www.optimum.net/News/AP/Article?articleId=618499

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 02:12:51 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/30/elizabeth-smart-to-testif_n_305771.html
Elizabeth Smart to Face Alleged Abductor in Court

By Cathy Free

Seven years since she was abducted from her Salt Lake City bedroom by knifepoint, Elizabeth Smart will be in the same room on Thursday as her alleged kidnapper, Brian David Mitchell.

Smart, now 21, wanted to testify about her nine-month ordeal before she leaves on an 18-month mission to Paris for the Mormon church in early November. Although Mitchell's latest competency hearing isn't scheduled until Nov. 30, U.S. District Dale Kimball ruled Monday that Smart could testify early about her interactions with the self-avowed prophet, who allegedly wanted her as a plural wife.

Wants Justice Served
"It's not something she's looking forward to, but she wants to see justice served," says Smart's father, Ed Smart, who plans to accompany his daughter to court on Thursday. "It's been frustrating for all of us to see it drag on for so many years. Elizabeth has said to me a number of times, 'It's amazing how justice isn't being served. It's obvious that he did what he did - there is absolute evidence that he did what he did.'"
Federal defender Robert Steele says he has no problem with Elizabeth testifying, but he argued that the court should not allow her to give her opinion about Mitchell's sanity. The judge ruled on Monday that "none of Ms. Smart's proposed testimony suggests that she will be opining on anything other than her lay observations."

Ed Smart tells PEOPLE he believes that Mitchell is competent and is simply "manipulating the courts to the nth degree." "There's been no headway – we're ready to finally proceed," he says. "Let's get this done and move on."

Mitchell, who allegedly abducted Elizabeth late on the night of June 5, 2002, from the bed she shared with her younger sister, Mary Katherine, has been in and out of court for competency hearings since his arrest with alleged accomplice Wanda Barzee. The pair were found walking with Smart in a Salt Lake City suburb after living for several months in an abandoned trailer in Lakeside, Calif.

Forced to Wear Veil
At previous competency hearings, Mitchell has been removed from the courtroom for disrupting the proceedings by humming and singing religious hymns. Ed Smart hopes the same thing happens this time "so that he won't be able to see Elizabeth," he says. "Personally, though, I think he may sit there for a change and not say anything. Whatever happens, Elizabeth is prepared. It's amazing how strong she is."

It is expected that Elizabeth, who was forced to wear a white robe and veil and wasn't allowed to bathe or eat much more than bread during her months held captive, will answer questions from prosecutors and Mitchell's defense team for several hours.

"She's ready to tell what she knows and show that Mitchell knew exactly what he was doing," says her father. "Her comments to me have always been, 'Dad, there just really isn't question that he's guilty of what he did."

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 02:44:44 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,558548,00.html
Elizabeth Smart Says She Was Raped Repeatedly After Abduction, Calls Alleged Kidnapper 'Evil'

Thursday, October 01, 2009

SALT LAKE CITY —  Elizabeth Smart testified Thursday that she was raped repeatedly by her alleged kidnapper Brian David Mitchell, whom she called "evil" in her first testimony since he is accused of holding her captive as one of his wives seven years ago.

The two did not see each other, though both were in court. Mitchell was removed from the courtroom before Smart arrived and taken to a holding cell where he could listen to the proceedings.

Smart, now 21, said Mitchell raped her for the first time right after her June 2002 abduction — which happened while the then 14-year-old girl was sleeping in her Salt Lake City home.

She testified that the rapes continued three to four times a day during her 9-month-long abduction, and she was told she would be killed if she yelled or tried to escape.

She described Mitchell as "evil, wicked, manipulative, stinky, slimy, selfish, not spiritual, not religious, not close to God."
It was Smart's first testimony about being snatched from her bedroom and held prisoner. She was on the stand in a competency hearing for Mitchell — who has twice before been deemed not fit for trial.

Mitchell is accused of abducting Smart from her bedroom while she slept and making her a polygamous wife to fulfill a religious prophecy.

The case attracted intense national and international media attention.

A judge ruled earlier this week that testimony from Smart, now 21, is relevant to the mental competency of Mitchell.

Smart was poised and composed while testifying for just under two hours.

She was abducted at knifepoint in the middle of the night. Smart said Mitchell then took her to a mountain camp and performed a ceremony she said was intended to marry the two.
"After that, he proceeded to rape me," Smart said.

She said he held her captive with a cable attached to her leg that had a 10-foot reach. That line was attached to another cable strung between two trees.

Smart said Mitchell plied her with alcohol and drugs to lower her resistance.

"He said that he would kill anybody that would come into the camp, or kill me if I ever tried to escape or yell out," Smart testified.

Smart said Mitchell was motivated by sex and used religion to get what he wanted.

Mitchell's defense attorneys had sought to limit Smart's testimony to her experiences with Mitchell, without her opinions about his mental state.

The defense objected to the 39 so-called "lay witnesses" proposed by prosecutors, including Mitchell's family, friends or workers at Utah State Hospital, because they lacked the expertise to evaluate competency.

In a ruling Monday, U.S. District Judge Dale Kimball rejected the argument as it relates to Smart, saying her testimony may help the court settle differences in the findings of experts who have evaluated Mitchell.
Experts have split opinions over Mitchell's competency and have relied on statements from others — including Smart — and past evaluations to prepare reports for the court. Kimball's ruling said Mitchell has been uncooperative with evaluators and refused to participate in diagnostic tests.

In the state court system, Mitchell was twice found incompetent to stand trial.

Mitchell and his estranged wife were found with the girl in March 2003, nine months after she vanished from her parents' house as her younger sister watched. Smart was rescued after a motorist who recognized her spotted her walking through a suburb with Mitchell and his estranged wife, Wanda Eileen Barzee.

Last year, Mitchell was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor.

Once an itinerant street preacher, Mitchell is said to have wanted Smart as a polygamous wife and may have taken her to fulfill a religious prophecy he laid out in a 27-page manifesto drafted in April 2002.

In letters written to Smart's mother, Barzee, 63, sought forgiveness for any pain she had caused and said she expects to spend the rest of her life in prison.

Barzee, however, made just one reference to Smart in the 12 letters sent to her mother. And she didn't provide details about the nine months the girl allegedly spent with her and Mitchell.
Last year, Mitchell was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor.

A 10-day competency hearing is scheduled to begin Nov. 30.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »

He took me inside, where Wanda then tried to force me to bathe. After arguing with her, she eventually just proceeded to wash my feet and told me to change out of my pajamas into a robe type of garment. And when I refused she said if I didn't she would have Brian Mitchell come rip my pajamas off. I put the robe on in which he came and performed a ceremony which was to marry me to him. After that he proceeded to rape me.

They make shanks in prison for freaks like this. mo.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 03:09:48 PM »

http://**/news/ci_13462926
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 07:35:57 AM »

October 4, 2009

Elizabeth Smart story provided all-too-rare happy ending

Too often, it seems, the world is filled with bad news. We've seen that this past week with the tsunami that hit the Samoas and the earthquake that killed hundreds in Indonesia. Events such as these are shocking. They were unexpected, so they caught people off guard. That's why they are considered to be news.

But every now and then, that shocking aspect of a story has a happy ending. Such was the case in March 2003 when, to the amazement of many, a girl named Elizabeth Smart was not only found, but found alive.

Smart's story made headlines in June 2002 when, at the age of 14, she was abducted from her families home in Salt Lake City. The rumor mill ran rampant with accusations of who took Elizabeth and why. At times during those days after the abduction, it was difficult to determine what was fact and what was fiction.

Police officers and everyday citizens were shown the teenagers face and asked to keep their eyes open for any sign of her. Eventually, volunteers searched parts of the Wasatch Front in hopes of finding her body.

Then, in March 2003, a motorist in a Salt Lake City suburb spotted Elizabeth and called authorities. Soon thereafter, Brian David Mitchell and his wife Wanda Eileen Barzee, were arrested. And, almost beyond the hopes of the people who followed the story for those nine months, Elizabeth was found alive.

It was a startling revelation, so much so that people found themselves re-reading the text scrolling across television screens and headlines on newspaper Web sites just to make sure they were seeing the words correctly. Newspapers across the nation published the photograph of Elizabeth, with a smile on her face, after she had been reunited with family members.

The wheels of justice have been stalled a bit for the past six years. Questions have been asked and court hearings conducted regarding the competence of Elizabeth's two alleged kidnappers. But Thursday, Elizabeth took the stand and testified about what happened to her in yet another competency hearing for Mitchell. She told the court that Mitchell repeatedly violated her and that he threatened to kill her if she yelled or tried to escape.

The details were horrifying. The public can only hope that the courts will provide justice and that if Mitchell did these horrible things that he will pay for his crimes.

Elizabeth Smart's story appears to be headed toward a positive ending. Now 21, she intends to leave soon on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She's experienced a form of hell on Earth, but she appears to have recuperated well.

Thankfully, we aren't left to deal with the aftermath of what may have happened had she not been found. Unfortunately, not all children are as lucky. According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, more than 795,000 children are reported missing each year. More than 150,000 of those children were considered to be endangered, meaning there was cause to believe they would be harmed in some way.

Ultimately, Elizabeth Smart was found because of an everyday resident staying informed, vigilant and then acting when the person thought he or she had seen a child in danger. That person my have saved Elizabeth's life. At the least he or she helped get Elizabeth away from her abductors.

You might be that same guardian angel of sorts for another child simply by paying attention. That would result in another story with a positive ending.

http://www.thespectrum.com/article/20091004/OPINION/910040303/Elizabeth+Smart+story+provided+all-too-rare+happy+ending

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 10:52:18 AM »

snip from Nuts post above:

Ultimately, Elizabeth Smart was found because of an everyday resident staying informed, vigilant and then acting when the person thought he or she had seen a child in danger. That person my have saved Elizabeth's life. At the least he or she helped get Elizabeth away from her abductors.

You might be that same guardian angel of sorts for another child simply by paying attention. That would result in another story with a positive ending.

this is us Monkeys! keep the awareness going of all missing children!

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 09:43:04 PM »

More on Elizabeth Smart in People

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 01:30:16 PM »

Woman pleads guilty in Elizabeth Smart case
64-year-old could face life sentence in 2002 kidnapping case in Utah

updated 42 minutes ago
SALT LAKE CITY - One of two people charged in the 2002 abduction of Elizabeth Smart pleaded guilty Tuesday to federal charges.

In a deal with prosecutors, Wanda Eileen Barzee entered the pleas to charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City.

The 64-year-old Barzee could face a life sentence for the kidnapping charge and up to 15 years for the other count. It's unclear whether Barzee may get a reduced sentence in exchange for her plea.

Smart was 14 in 2002 when she was abducted from her bedroom at knifepoint and whisked away to a campsite in the mountains above her Salt Lake City home. She was recovered nine months later after a motorist saw her walking on a suburban street with Barzee and Barzee's now-estranged husband, Brian David Mitchell.

Barzee's role in the alleged abduction has garnered less attention than Mitchell's.

Testimony of polygamy, rape
At a hearing last month, Smart said that within hours of the abduction, Mitchell took her as a polygamous wife and then raped her. Smart said Barzee washed the teen's feet and dressed her in robes before the ceremony.

Smart described Mitchell as "evil, wicked, manipulative, stinky, slimy, selfish, not spiritual, not religious, not close to God."

She said he held her captive with a cable attached to her leg that had a 10-foot reach. That line was attached to another cable strung between two trees.

Smart said Mitchell plied her with alcohol and drugs to lower her resistance.

"He said that he would kill anybody that would come into the camp, or kill me if I ever tried to escape or yell out," Smart had testified.

Smart said Mitchell was motivated by sex and used religion to get what he wanted.

Barzee often became upset over Mitchell's relationship with Smart, but that sentiment would never last, Smart said.

Issues of competency
State cases filed in March 2003 against Barzee and Mitchell have been stymied by rulings that both were incompetent for trial. Barzee and Mitchell were indicted by a federal grand jury in March 2008.

Barzee's plea comes a month after a Utah State Hospital report to a state judge said that 15 months of court-ordered treatments with anti-psychotic medications had restored her competency.

Mitchell had also been found incompetent for trial in state court. A judge refused to order him to undergo forced medications.

On Nov. 30, Mitchell is scheduled for a 10-day competency hearing in his federal court case.

Prosecutors claim that a psychiatrist who evaluated Mitchell contends he is exaggerating or faking psychiatric symptoms to avoid prosecution.

Defense attorneys dispute the finding.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33990578/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Wanda Eileen Barzee, one of two people charged in the Elizabeth Smart case, pleaded guilty to charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »

thanks, Nut!

I just saw a quick snippet of this on HLN and only caught that she pleaded guilty and was getting 15 years - nothing about the possible life sentence.

Thank God she'll be getting more than 15 years....

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »

Brian David Mitchell hospitalized after fall in jail cell

SALT LAKE CITY — Brian David Mitchell, the man accused of kidnapping Elizabeth Smart, spent two days in the hospital this week after falling in his jail cell and hitting his head.

Mitchell, 56, fell Monday while seated at the desk in his maximum-security cell at the Salt Lake County Jail, said Salt Lake County Sheriff's Lt. Mike DeNiro. Deputies were uncertain whether Mitchell struck his head on the floor or on the toilet in his cell.

The jail's medical staff examined Mitchell and decided he should be taken to University Hospital as a precaution.

Mitchell was guarded by the U.S. Marshals Service while he was hospitalized because he is a federal prisoner, DeNiro said. He was returned to the jail Thursday.

DeNiro, who worked in maximum security for the past two years, said he was not aware of Mitchell being hospitalized for any other medical incidents during his incarceration.

Mitchell is accused of kidnapping and raping Elizabeth Smart in 2002, taking her to California and then returning to Utah where he was arrested in 2003. A 10-day hearing to determine whether Mitchell is competent to stand trial was held in early December. A ruling from that hearing is expected in February or March.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705355374/Brian-David-Mitchell-hospitalized-after-fall-in-jail-cell.html
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 02:31:16 PM »

http://www.wboc.com/global/story.asp?s=12520763

Woman sentenced to prison in Elizabeth Smart case
Posted: May 21, 2010 10:35 AM EDT
Updated: May 21, 2010 2:15 PM EDT
By JENNIFER DOBNER
Associated Press Writer
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - A federal judge on Friday ordered a woman who pleaded guilty to kidnapping Elizabeth Smart to spend 15 years in prison, with credit for about seven years she's already served.

U.S. District Judge Dale Kimball said Wanda Barzee will serve the sentence at the Federal Medical Center, Carswell, in Fort Worth, Texas.

Barzee, 64, pleaded guilty in November to federal charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor across state lines in Smart's abduction. She also faces sentencing Friday in state court, where in February she pleaded guilty, but mentally ill, in the attempted kidnapping of Smart's cousin, Olivia Wright, about six weeks after Smart's abduction.

Barzee has agreed to testify in pending state and federal cases against her now-estranged husband, Brian David Mitchell.

Smart was 14 in 2002 when she was kidnapped at knifepoint from her bedroom. She was found nine months later, in March 2003, walking the streets of a Salt Lake City suburb with Barzee and Mitchell.

"I know the gravity of my crimes and how serious they are," Barzee said in court Friday. "I'm just so sorry again for all the pain and suffering I caused upon the Smart family."

Kimball also ordered Barzee to serve five years' probation and register as a sex offender. Barzee will be about 70 when she's released from prison.

Elizabeth's mother, Lois Smart, spoke in court for the first time ever Friday.

"Wanda, what you did to our family and to our girl Elizabeth was wrong," Lois Smart said directly to Barzee. "It was wrong and it was evil. ... Wanda, we suffered, but more than that, Elizabeth suffered. She was tortured and tormented."

Smart, now 22, is serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Paris.

Barzee's cases have been repeatedly delayed because she was twice deemed incompetent to stand trial.

Barzee was court-ordered by a state judge to undergo treatment with anti-psychoctic medications, and last fall doctors at the Utah State Hospital said her competency had been restored. The finding prompted plea negotiations with state and federal prosecutors.

Mitchell, 56, is scheduled for a federal court trial beginning Nov. 1. A state case has been stalled because Mitchell was also deemed incompetent for trial. A state judge declined to order forced medication in his case.

At a federal court hearing last year, Smart said she was taken from her home to a mountain campsite where she was forced into a polygamous marriage with Mitchell and endured repeated rapes and other abuse. She was held captive for nine months.

A one-time itinerant street preacher, Mitchell allegedly wanted Smart as a second wife so that he could fulfill a religious prophecy laid out in a 27-page manifesto he drafted in early 2002.

Samantha
Scared Monkey

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/21/utah.elizabeth.smart.kidnapper/index.html?hpt=T2

Elizabeth Smart's kidnapper gets 15 years
By Ashley Hayes, CNN

(CNN) -- A woman who admitted her role in Utah teen Elizabeth Smart's 2002 kidnapping was sentenced Friday to 15 years in federal prison.

Wanda Eileen Barzee, 64, was given credit for several years that she already has served, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney in Utah said.

Federal prosecutors asked for the 15-year sentence under a plea agreement in which Barzee will cooperate in the prosecution of her husband, Brian David Mitchell. He is awaiting trial.

Barzee will be sentenced this afternoon for an attempt to snatch Smart's cousin a month later.

Barzee pleaded guilty in November to federal charges of kidnapping and unlawful transportation of a minor in Smart's kidnapping. It is the federal case that exposes her to the most prison time.

Barzee and Mitchell were accused of abducting Smart, then 14, at knifepoint from her bedroom in her family's Salt Lake City, Utah, home in June 2002. Smart was found nine months later, walking down a street in the Salt Lake City suburb of Sandy in the company of Barzee and Mitchell, a drifter and self-described prophet who calls himself Emmanuel and had done some handyman work at the Smarts' home.

Federal prosecutors have recommended Barzee be sentenced to 15 years in prison in exchange for cooperation against Mitchell.

In state court in February, Barzee pleaded guilty but mentally ill to one count of conspiracy to commit aggravated kidnapping in the attempted kidnapping of Smart's cousin. In exchange for her plea, prosecutors dropped state charges against her in Smart's abduction, said Nancy Volmer, spokeswoman for Utah state courts.

The month after Smart was kidnapped, prosecutors alleged, Barzee and Mitchell attempted to break into the home of her cousin, but were unsuccessful. The girl was 15 years old at the time, according to CNN affiliate KSL-TV. She is not named in court documents.

"Mr. Mitchell's attempt was thwarted when the minor child awakened, which caused Mr. Mitchell to flee," the court documents say.

After her arrest in 2003, Barzee told authorities that she and Mitchell went to the home to abduct the girl, and planned to hold her, along with Smart, in the couple's camp in the mountains, according to court documents.

Although Barzee faces up to years in state sentence to run concurrently with her federal sentence if she cooperates with the case against Mitchell, said Mark Biljanic, spokesman for the Salt Lake County district attorney's office.

The federal sentencing will be held first Friday, at 10:30 a.m., followed by the state court sentencing at 1 p.m.

When she pleaded guilty to Smart's kidnapping in federal court, Barzee apologized to Smart, according to a transcript.

"I'm greatly humbled as I realize how much Elizabeth Smart has been victimized and the role I played in it," she said. "I'm so sorry, Elizabeth, for all the pain and suffering I have caused you and your family. It is my hope that you will be able to find it in your heart to forgive me one day."

Barzee had been housed at the Utah State Hospital while courts determined her competency as well as Mitchell's. After years of being declared incompetent, she recently was declared competent to stand trial, according to the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper. A state court had ruled she could be forcibly medicated, and that ruling led federal prosecutors to proceed with bringing a case against the couple, the Tribune said.

At a competency hearing for Mitchell in October, Smart, now 21, testified that she had been held captive in Utah and California. Just after her abduction, Mitchell took her to a wooded area behind her home and performed a mock marriage ceremony with her, she said. During the nine months of her captivity, Smart testified, no 24-hour period passed without her being raped by Mitchell.

In March, U.S. District Judge Dale Kimball ruled Mitchell competent to stand trial. His federal trial is set to begin November 1. State court proceedings against him are on hold pending the outcome of the federal case.
Samantha
Scared Monkey

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 02:38:53 PM »

oops.. Sister posted while I was posting. Sorry! Dunno if a mod needs to delete. Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.