March 18, 2024, 07:37:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lindsey Baum # 6 10/4/09 - 1/27/10  (Read 566881 times)
sebastian
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1400 on: October 31, 2009, 10:44:15 AM »

Mayor Wally Bentley

Wally Bentley was elected Mayor in 1999.  His current term ends December 31, 2009.

Mayor Bentley was born and raised in Aline, Oklahoma and has lived in McCleary since 1963.  He is married and has two daughters.

He is a retired McCleary School teacher (34 years) and also worked in natural gas pipeline and irrigation construction.  He was a Communications Instructor during his service in the military.

Community Service:  Teacher's Retirement; McCleary PTA; McCleary Education Association

Council Goals:  achieve development consistent with the city's needs; meet the needs of the McCleary area; and expand the City's economic base

KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #1401 on: October 31, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »

Oh Geez,
This latest info is not good. I have never been sure whether I believe in psychics or not. I just find it really odd that I was told it was a person in authority and now these  revelations regarding the mayor and a SO sheriff in Grays Harbor? I also have thought it so odd that the witnesses' names were never released that last saw Lindsey. If they saw Lindsey go off with a person of authority, they probably would not want their names made public. Something really stinks in McCleary!
Good afternoon Sebastian
I believe that bolded above about the SO Sheriff was a misunderstanding.
I believe that came from reading the minutes of a McCleary city council meeting.SC meant something else....GHSO=Grays Harbor Sheriff's Office.

Karma Is Coming

Justice for Natalee Holloway!

Rest In Peace Sweet Angels

Help Light Lindsey's Way Home
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #1402 on: October 31, 2009, 11:18:15 AM »

From Knox at WS(same thread):

Originally Posted by elepher50 
Hi Kagey,

What a time trying to find that article but here is the link:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/McClea...ue.-a065311171

Here is another source for the same report:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...8&slug=4043118

From TakeNote at WS(same thread):
let me know if it is....i found some court docs on it....but its for a town of Ruston

ok.....i read back a tiny bit....and i think it is the same jim R

again....sorry if you already have this info....

court doc's included: http://rustonhome.blogspot.com/2008/...5-million.html

*Here is the official claim for $1.65 million filed by former police cheif Jim R.*

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89987&page=25

Thank you so much for the links Karma!
You're welcome Sebastian   

Karma Is Coming

sebastian
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1403 on: October 31, 2009, 11:55:23 AM »

Oh Geez,
This latest info is not good. I have never been sure whether I believe in psychics or not. I just find it really odd that I was told it was a person in authority and now these  revelations regarding the mayor and a SO sheriff in Grays Harbor? I also have thought it so odd that the witnesses' names were never released that last saw Lindsey. If they saw Lindsey go off with a person of authority, they probably would not want their names made public. Something really stinks in McCleary!
Good afternoon Sebastian
I believe that came from reading the minutes of a McCleary city council meeting.SC meant something else....GHSO=Grays Harbor Sheriff's Office.

Hi Karma!
Thank you for clearing that up. Maybe you can help me with something so I don't have to go read pages and pages of info. Not that I am ruling out Dale Golder, but wasn't there some talk about a riff between the Golder family and the Mayor's family? Also, do you remember who reported hearing Dale's car around the time Lindsey went missing? Was it the Mayor? TIA!
sebastian
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1404 on: October 31, 2009, 12:07:09 PM »

McCleary Mayor Wallace Bentley remembers the night Lindsey disappeared like it was yesterday. The little girl’s route home would have taken her right past his house. In fact, a confirmed sighting of Lindsey has her disappearing right outside his home on Maple Street, within view of his windows.

“I’ve been bending my brain around what happened ever since,” Bentley said. “I returned home from a retirement party for a city employee. I was there. I know I saw kids on the street. But did I see her? I don’t know. I wish I could say I did, but I just don’t know.”

Snipped from WS. There is a MAJOR contradiction here. Mayor Bentley remembers the night Lindsey disappeared like it was yesterday, but DOES NOT REMEMBER if he saw Lindsey????? The other thing that stands out to me is that he was returning from a party. I wonder how many drinks he may have had? Does anyone know what kind of car the Mayor drives?
Jademoff
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1405 on: October 31, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »

Hi Jademoff,
Do you know of any Baskett family in McCleary?

I know a Baskett family who lives in Elma.

Hi Jademoff!
Can you find out if this Baskett family in McCleary is related to Ronald L Baskett? I have recently obtained some information on our cryptic code man. I have been asked not to reveal where I got the information and I will of course honor that. It is my understanding that Ronald L Baskett has some very serious mental disorders. The person I was in contact with has no idea if these disorders would cause him to cause harm to a child. It is my understanding also, that the voilent crime he committed against a child and spent time in prison for, may have been bogus. There were rumors circulating that the charges were filed against him to get him removed from the home that he was residing in at the time. Is this in fact true? I have no idea, but he did spend several years behind bars, so who knows. He has children of his own but I don't believe that they are in contact with him. He supposedly is residing in Burien? Washington in a trailer on his mother's property. That is 50 miles, I believe, from McCleary. My source is unaware of any prior crimes he committed against children, including his own, except for the one that he was incarcerated for and that is some what disputed. I just don't know why he is so vocal on these cases. Maybe he fancies himself some great Cyber Sleuth or maybe it is something more deviant, I just don't know.

In my most honest reply to this......... when one of the McCleary locals came into my work on the afternoon of June 27, and showed me Lindsey's missing flier, my first instinct was that she took off on her own and was hiding out. After I saw that FBI was in the town that weekend, my gut instinct told me that someone who was traveling through McCleary picked her up. The traffic in McCleary that time of year is out of towners. People who come down from the Seattle/Tacoma area, mainly to go to the ORV park and to the beach and out to go camping. But at the same time, Maple street isn't a traveled road by someone who doesn't know the town, especially around the time she was presumed to come up missing. Around the time she is believed to come up missing, which would be after 9pm sometime, is that whoever was in town, was in town for 1 of 2 things: Gas and/or alcohol. The Liquor store is in the little shopping strip across from the shell station at the end of Maple.
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #1406 on: October 31, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »

Oh Geez,
Good afternoon Sebastian

Hi Karma!
Thank you for clearing that up. Maybe you can help me with something so I don't have to go read pages and pages of info. Not that I am ruling out Dale Golder, but wasn't there some talk about a riff between the Golder family and the Mayor's family? Also, do you remember who reported hearing Dale's car around the time Lindsey went missing? Was it the Mayor? TIA!
I meant to type above that the SO came from the came from the council meeting meaning:SO meant Sheriff's Office and not sex offender.

The partial info about Dale Golder and a riff with the Mayor or Judge(I think it was a riff between Judge Brown)came from DD.
Supposedly this riff was one of the reasons they ok'd a search warrant on Dale's house/s.Supposedly there is some past connection between Judge Brown and Dale Golder and DD posted that this Judge should never have been the Judge to ok the warrant.That's all I know but I'm sure DD could explain further.

Going from the search warrant,I have these names written down as people/friends/whatevers of Dale's who reported the loud car in town that Friday night Lindsey disappeared(when Dale was not scheduled to work at the BeeHive):

Sample
Mentes
Bryson
Hardy
Ralke(which may be Ralky)

The Judge's name is:
Stephen E. Brown

Karma Is Coming

KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #1407 on: October 31, 2009, 02:46:17 PM »

McCleary Mayor Wallace Bentley remembers the night Lindsey disappeared like it was yesterday. The little girl’s route home would have taken her right past his house. In fact, a confirmed sighting of Lindsey has her disappearing right outside his home on Maple Street, within view of his windows.

“I’ve been bending my brain around what happened ever since,” Bentley said. “I returned home from a retirement party for a city employee. I was there. I know I saw kids on the street. But did I see her? I don’t know. I wish I could say I did, but I just don’t know.”

Snipped from WS. There is a MAJOR contradiction here. Mayor Bentley remembers the night Lindsey disappeared like it was yesterday, but DOES NOT REMEMBER if he saw Lindsey????? The other thing that stands out to me is that he was returning from a party. I wonder how many drinks he may have had? Does anyone know what kind of car the Mayor drives?
On the McCleary community web site there was pics of the Mayor and council members.One member(a female)was retiring on June 24,2009.They had her retirement party on Friday June 26,2009.I always thought that was weird to have a party on the same night that Lindsey disappeared but maybe Lindsey disappeared after the party?In that case maybe all of the people who attended this party should be looked at?

Karma Is Coming

Scandi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1408 on: October 31, 2009, 06:58:09 PM »

Oh Geez,
Good afternoon Sebastian

Hi Karma!
I meant to type above that the SO came from the came from the council meeting meaning:SO meant Sheriff's Office and not sex offender.

The partial info about Dale Golder and a riff with the Mayor or Judge(I think it was a riff between Judge Brown)came from DD.
Supposedly this riff was one of the reasons they ok'd a search warrant on Dale's house/s.Supposedly there is some past connection between Judge Brown and Dale Golder and DD posted that this Judge should never have been the Judge to ok the warrant.That's all I know but I'm sure DD could explain further.

Going from the search warrant,I have these names written down as people/friends/whatevers of Dale's who reported the loud car in town that Friday night Lindsey disappeared(when Dale was not scheduled to work at the BeeHive):

Sample
Mentes
Bryson
Hardy
Ralke(which may be Ralky)

The Judge's name is:
Stephen E. Brown

You guys are simply stellar and Thank You Karma for bringing that info over.  Sebastian's observation that Bentley remembers the evening like it was yesterday but doesn't remember if he saw her is almost amazing to me.  Put that together with no matter, if Lindsey walked down Maple or up 6th, she still went right past his house/property.
  And I read that article as he was back from the party at or before the time she would have walked by or I would think he'd say 'I wasn't home yet'.  It would be easier if he had said he was doing something else at home at that time which was not by a window!   And adding in that in the past he had been accused of taking sexual liberties with 2 little girls, well it does give rise to suspicion IMO.  I wish there was more written about that.

I read that the house #220 that Mr Mullin bought was in the name of Bentley before, causing some confusion.  I think he bought it from the Mayor.  Not sure, but that makes sense.  Since he had owned it only a few months, did he rent it for awhile or live somewhere else in GHC.  He was on the voter registration in the County in 2008.  It would be interesting to see what Mr Mullin houses in that huge shop.  I also wonder if LE searched only the creek area or the buildings on his property.  Going back 6 times is allot, don't you think?

Thanks too Karma for pulling out those names listed in the Affidavit.  I think Mr Ralkey is the probation officer.  I think the y was left off on purpose in the public printing of the Affidavit to shield his privacy a bit.

Onr more thing, looking at the satellite view of Bentley's property I see a driveway area N of his house {house faces 6th} and then in the NE corner of his lot there is a small building.  Maybe a garden blig or for storage.  It isn't just a simple house on a lot.
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #1409 on: October 31, 2009, 07:41:41 PM »

Happy and safe Halloweenie you all.
See you tomorrow.

Praying for you sweet Lindsey
 an angelic monkey

Karma Is Coming

Scandi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1410 on: October 31, 2009, 08:07:15 PM »

Hi Jademoff,
Do you know of any Baskett family in McCleary?

I know a Baskett family who lives in Elma.

Hi Jademoff!
Can you find out if this Baskett family in McCleary is related to Ronald L Baskett? I have recently obtained some information on our cryptic code man. I have been asked not to reveal where I got the information and I will of course honor that. It is my understanding that Ronald L Baskett has some very serious mental disorders. The person I was in contact with has no idea if these disorders would cause him to cause harm to a child. It is my understanding also, that the voilent crime he committed against a child and spent time in prison for, may have been bogus. There were rumors circulating that the charges were filed against him to get him removed from the home that he was residing in at the time. Is this in fact true? I have no idea, but he did spend several years behind bars, so who knows. He has children of his own but I don't believe that they are in contact with him. He supposedly is residing in Burien? Washington in a trailer on his mother's property. That is 50 miles, I believe, from McCleary. My source is unaware of any prior crimes he committed against children, including his own, except for the one that he was incarcerated for and that is some what disputed. I just don't know why he is so vocal on these cases. Maybe he fancies himself some great Cyber Sleuth or maybe it is something more deviant, I just don't know.

In my most honest reply to this......... when one of the McCleary locals came into my work on the afternoon of June 27, and showed me Lindsey's missing flier, my first instinct was that she took off on her own and was hiding out. After I saw that FBI was in the town that weekend, my gut instinct told me that someone who was traveling through McCleary picked her up. The traffic in McCleary that time of year is out of towners. People who come down from the Seattle/Tacoma area, mainly to go to the ORV park and to the beach and out to go camping. But at the same time, Maple street isn't a traveled road by someone who doesn't know the town, especially around the time she was presumed to come up missing. Around the time she is believed to come up missing, which would be after 9pm sometime, is that whoever was in town, was in town for 1 of 2 things: Gas and/or alcohol. The Liquor store is in the little shopping strip across from the shell station at the end of Maple.

Hi Jademoff,  It's nice to meet you ;}

So what I get from your answer to Sebastian's post is:  If indeed Mr Baskett, who we are assuming is the cryptic code man and having lived in McCleary at one time or used that address, happened to be in town that late evening of the 26th and saw Lindsey as she crossed the main rd, he could have been the one to stop and talk to her, maybe offering her a ride home.

That is a possible scenario IMO.  Either his coming off the Hwy 8 and heading up to the liquor store or just driving up 3rd, the main rd, to turn on Cedar where he is purported to live before. 

Well, the liquor store idea is out as I just called.  They close at 7pm every night with regularity.  BTW she didn't know if they did a search today but it is not raining in McCleary this afternoon.

He still could have gone up to get gas or was just out trolling and saw her.  If Lindsey had stopped by Libby's and found no one home she could have just crossed 3rd right there which would have been S of the gas station and closer to Cedar St.

I always thought that directive about how it could be someone just driving in town on a Fri night as SOP by the FBI who were very active then.  Just like the other given, look for any changes in appearance, activities, mood, etc of those you know.

Now this person could have come into town before 7 as they would know the LS closes then. Otherwise in McCleary one is probably only going to find beer or wine in the grocery store or go to the Roundup.  The other night when I called the Shell station store he told me the main grocery store was closed.  It wasn't that late when I called.

xox
sebastian
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1411 on: November 01, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »

See you tomorrow.

an angelic monkey

Thank you so much Karma for all of the great photos of Lindsey that you bring us every day! She is such a cutie!
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #1412 on: November 01, 2009, 09:12:05 AM »

On the McCleary community web site there was pics of the Mayor and council members.One member(a female)was retiring on June 24,2009.They had her retirement party on Friday June 26,2009.I always thought that was weird to have a party on the same night that Lindsey disappeared but maybe Lindsey disappeared after the party?In that case maybe all of the people who attended this party should be looked at?
Good morning Monkeys
Shoot,I am so dippy sometimes Smile
I never thought it was weird that they held a retirement party the night Lindsey disappeared,I thought it was weird that Mayor Bentley declared June 26th as Donnie Rostedt day.Mayor Bentley did this on June 24th and I find that weird.Why not just name June 24th as Donnie's day?
Pictures from the June 24th council meeting:

Mayor Bentley thanked Donnie Rostedt, for over 35 years of service at her final council meeting.
During the council meeting on June 24th, 2009 Mayor Bentley declared June 26, 2009 as "Donnie Rostedt Day" with an official City Resolution.

http://www.cityofmccleary.com/index.asp?Type=B_LIST&SEC={2F17A6E9-6C9A-43CB-B97D-E6EA41A15685}

Mayor congratulates Donnie

Karma Is Coming

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1413 on: November 01, 2009, 09:12:58 AM »

I went to bed last night digesting the info about the Mayor, I'm not sure what to think, wonder if LE thinks it could be possible, but because he is Mayor they are skirting around the issue  My thoughts are with you Lindsey  an angelic monkey
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #1414 on: November 01, 2009, 09:23:28 AM »

See you tomorrow.

an angelic monkey

Thank you so much Karma for all of the great photos of Lindsey that you bring us every day! She is such a cutie!
YW Sebatian,wish I had more photos of her to post.She sure is a little sweety.

Karma Is Coming

KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #1415 on: November 01, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »

Scandi,please could you get this to WS or maybe the posters will read it hear.
A few of the WS posters have Lindsey's walk messed up.
This list below is going by witnesses and Melissa Baum,KaraK's accounts of what happened:

1}Lindsey,brother Josh and MK walked from Lindsey's house heading to MK's house to see if MK could stay another night at Lindsey's house(MK stayed at Lindsey's house that Thursday night before)

2}Lindsey was walking the broken bike,all 3 got to the Shell station when the argument broke out.Lindsey wanted Josh to take the bike home,Josh wanted Lindsey to take the bike home because she was the one that walked it from their house.They argued and left the bike behind the Shell station.

3}After leaving the bike the 3 kids continued walking to MK's house and continued to argue.A family friend saw them arguing and broke up the fight,sent Josh home,texted Mom Baum that the kids were arguing and she was sending Josh home.Mom Baum says OK to sending Josh home.
No one really knows how far the 3 kids got on Maple when this happened but KaraK says they were a few houses down from her house.

4}After Josh was sent home Lindsey and MK decided to ask if Lindsey could stay at MK's house that night instead of MK staying at Lindsey(IMO Lindsey wanted to stay at MK's because of the Josh/bike fight and she didn't want to deal with her brother)

5}So as far as Mom Baum knew,Lindsey was coming back home with MK to stay the night because that was the original plan and Lindsey didn't have her cell phone with her.

6}Lindsey and MK arrive at MK's house,ask if Lindsey could stay the night,Lindsey is told no,Lindsey heads home alone while MK watches her walk to about 6th street.No one walks with Lindsey.

I like WS member ChuckMaureen's posts but he/she is basing their opinions on early reports in the case that have been proven wrong.
No friend walked with Lindsey on her way back home.
The original plan was to walk to MK's house and see if MK could stay the night at Lindsey's.That plan was changed while the 2 girls finished walking to MK's house.

Karma Is Coming

KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #1416 on: November 01, 2009, 01:15:10 PM »

Does this latest article sound like a"exit the investigation"and "exit the media coverage"article to any one else or is it just me?

http://www.theolympian.com/southsound/story/1021596.html

After four months, authorities have little evidence in Lindsey Baum case

MCCLEARY 11/01/09 - Police Chief George Crumb said he used to look out his office window from the police station on Summit Road and see Lindsey Baum walking with her regular group of friends.

“She was pretty much a daily fixture of the area,” Crumb said of Lindsey, who was 10 when she went missing not two blocks from the police station as she walked to her home from a friend’s June 26. “She seemed to be, you could even say, the leader of the little group.”

Before she disappeared, Crumb thought nothing of noticing Lindsey - in this small town of about 1,500, all the locals know the neighborhood children by name.

“It wasn’t unusual to see her along with everything else,” Crumb said.

As summer has turned to fall, more than four months have passed with no sign of what happened to Lindsey. Residents say the girl’s absence, and the fear of what might have happened to her, have the entire town hurting.

“I totally think it’s affected the whole town,” Diana Hasbrouck, co-owner of Rain Country Restaurant, said between serving customers Wednesday, standing with a half-full pot of coffee in one hand. “See the streets right now?” she added, gesturing toward the empty sidewalks outside the restaurant. “That’s the way it’s been all summer.”

McCleary no longer is a town where people leave their doors unlocked, said Willa Smith-Creamer, a cook at the restaurant.

“People are more apt to keep their kids inside now,” said Smith-Creamer, 33, a lifelong McCleary resident. “I used to leave my doors unlocked all the time, and now I don’t.”

The weekend of Lindsey’s disappearance, the McCleary Police Department’s four-officer force gave way to detectives with the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office who are now in charge of the investigation, supplemented by FBI agents from Seattle.

The investigation has been thwarted at every turn by a lack of physical evidence and no clues about how Lindsey disappeared.

Lindsey vanished after leaving a friend’s home on Maple Street by herself shortly before 9:15 p.m. to make the half-mile walk across town to the home she shared with her mother, Melissa, and 12-year-old brother, Josh, on Mommsen Road.

The last confirmed sighting of Lindsey was about 9:15 p.m., when a resident driving through town saw her walking on Maple Street between Fifth and Sixth streets – about the halfway point of her journey home.

At first, investigators explored the possibility that Lindsey had run away from home or that she might have been hiding in the woods after a dispute with her brother over a bicycle. That possibility soon was ruled out.

“Certainly, someone facilitated her disappearance,” Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott said during an interview in his office in Montesano, about 18 miles west of McCleary. “We believe that she was taken. We believe her to be the victim of foul play.”

MANY TIPS, FEW CLUES

Scott said investigators have slogged through thousands of leads and tips. There have been eight to 12 “persons of interest” at various points during the investigation, but none panned out, he said.

And the tips keep coming. Chief Crumb stood in the reception area at the McCleary police station Wednesday. He was the only one there to answer the phone, and he jotted down information from a tipster as he cradled the phone between his shoulder and head.

“Well, there’s been no suspects; there’s been people of interest,” he told the caller.

Crumb said any tip the department gets about Lindsey’s disappearance is forwarded immediately to Grays Harbor County Detective Polly Davin, who is assigned full time to the case.

Tips come in all the time, Crumb said, but many are vague or of little to no evidentiary value. For example, Crumb said, someone walking in the woods notified police after discovering a shoe, thinking it might have been Lindsey’s. It turned out to be the wrong size and appeared to have “been out there forever,” Crumb said.

AMATEUR SLEUTHS

Crumb and Scott said the case has drawn a number of amateur sleuths who haven’t necessarily been helpful. Crumb said that over the summer, someone went to the McCleary assessor’s office, got the names and addresses of everyone who lives on Maple Street, and posted that information on a message board devoted to Lindsey’s case, leaving the impression that any of those residents could have been responsible.

Crumb said that although posting such information online is legal, “it’s inappropriate.”

“I wish they’d tone that down,” he added.

Scott said some who have posted information about Lindsey’s case on the Internet have created “suspects du jour” who have had “nothing to do with anything,” he said.

“I think there’s a fine line between wanting to help and being irresponsible, and some people have crossed that line in making speculations and opinions that become accusatory.”

Calls also have come from residents who suggest someone they know could be responsible, Crumb said. Many of these calls seem to have more to do with an individual’s personal issues with someone than evidence connected to Lindsey’s disappearance, he said.

“We’ve had a lot of calls like that, unfortunately,” he said.

Crumb recalls that when he moved to McCleary in 1994 to take the police chief job, his daughter would ride her bike around town when she was about Lindsey’s age.

“We don’t have as many kids walking around as in the past. It’s on everybody’s mind,” he said.

Things won’t get back to normal in McCleary until the case is solved, Crumb said. But he fears it might remain unsolved until after he retires.

“It’s not going to go away,” he said.

MASSIVE SEARCH

In July and August, law enforcement officers and volunteers “tipped McCleary upside down” in a massive search for Lindsey, Scott said. The search included helicopters, fixed-wing aircraft from the State Patrol and search-and rescue-dogs from throughout the Puget Sound area, he said.

“I would find it hard to believe that you could find a piece of ground in McCleary that didn’t have one of their footprints,” Scott said.

Detective Davin said that during the first few weeks of the investigation, between 40 and 50 law enforcement officers were working on the case, including FBI agents.

Police spoke to every resident and searched inside and outside more than 150 homes on or near Maple Street, Scott said.

Detectives have reviewed records of people who used credit cards at downtown businesses during the period in which investigators think Lindsey disappeared, such as the Shell Station on Summit Road, Scott said. They even got a list of cell phones whose signals bounced off McCleary’s lone cell phone tower the evening of June 26, he said.

Linda Cunningham, the owner of McCleary Video on Simpson Avenue, said FBI agents have interviewed her three times about Lindsey’s visit to the store with friends an hour or so before she disappeared.

“They (investigators) talked to everybody in town,” she said. “They looked through everybody’s house at least twice.”

Cunningham said her store used to be filled with children renting DVDs and video games after school. However, “as soon as Lindsey got kidnapped, parents stopped letting their kids go around,” she said. “It’s hurting businesses, too. I don’t blame the parents.”

Cunningham added, “I feel so bad, but there are times I just want it to end. I like to think she will just come home. We just want her to come home and try to be a normal town again.”

HOLDING OUT HOPE

Lindsey’s mother, Melissa, answered the door with a cough at her Mommsen Road home Wednesday. Her son, Josh, a seventh-grader at McCleary Elementary School, was home sick with the flu. Lindsey’s German shepherd, Kadence, poked her nose through the door and Melissa Baum came outside for an interview.

She is steadfast in her belief that Lindsey is alive and will be returned home safe.

“I know my daughter’s going to be found,” she said. “I’m frustrated. It’s been four months and two days.”

Everyone in McCleary who has ever come across Lindsey – Chief Crumb, Cunningham, Kara Kampen (whose Maple Street home Lindsey was visiting June 26 to play with her friend Michaela) describe Lindsey as sharp, precocious for her age and talkative.

Lindsey had left her cell phone charging at home the evening she went missing.

When police viewed Lindsey’s MySpace page after her disappearance, they learned only that she had an affinity for the popular movie “Twilight,” a story of vampires set in Forks. A forensic search of her computer showed she had had no Internet communications with anyone whom she might have met without telling her mother, police said.

Melissa Baum said she’s sure whoever took Lindsey knew her, saying her daughter is too smart to get into a stranger’s car. If someone tried to hurt her, she’d fight back, Melissa Baum added.

Police did not issue an Amber Alert after Melissa reported her daughter missing at 10:50 p.m.; Melissa Baum says they should have done so. But Crumb and Scott have said that police do not have authority to issue an Amber Alert unless they know a child has been taken and they have concrete information to issue to the public – such as a car or suspect description – that can aid in a child’s recovery.

“We didn’t have that,” Scott said.

There is talk among law enforcement officers in Washington of changing the requirements for Amber Alerts so they can be issued in cases such as Lindsey’s, Scott said.

“I don’t disagree with Melissa that there’s some frustration in the whole Amber Alert thing,” he said.

Crumb noted that the vast majority of missing-child cases involve simple misunderstandings – a child forgot to tell a parent about sleeping over at a friend’s or left home after a dispute.

Melissa Baum said it’s difficult to see Lindsey’s old playmates around town. Lindsey’s dog Kadence only recently began gaining weight after refusing to eat anything for two weeks after Lindsey disappeared, she added.

Melissa Baum said yellow police tape blocks her family from entering Lindsey’s room because investigators want to preserve her scent for search dogs, which already have scoured the wooded areas around McCleary. Scott added that investigators want to keep Lindsey’s room untouched because there might be items in Lindsey’s room that later will become evidence, or that can be used to collect a DNA sample belonging to Lindsey.

“My life is standing still,” Melissa Baum said. “Everything’s off. It’s changed our whole life.”

WEEKLY SEARCHES

Melissa Baum now is in charge of the volunteer searches in and around McCleary every weekend. Searchers took Halloween weekend off; three weekends ago, the search team included more than 70 soldiers from Fort Lewis who scoured the wooded areas around McCleary, she said.

Crumb said that even though the searches have covered a lot of ground, the vastness of the forests and swampland around McCleary makes it impossible to say definitively that searchers have checked every place where Lindsey could be.

McCleary’s location near several highways increases the number of locations where an abductor could have taken her, Scott said. The roads out of McCleary include state Route 8, which leads to U.S. Highway 101 and Interstate 5; and state Route 108, which leads past Little Creek Casino toward Shelton.

Melissa Baum said she knows investigators are doing all they can but is frustrated by the lack of progress.

“I just feel like it’s taking too long,” she said. “I don’t know what I expect them to do that they’re not doing.”

Melissa Baum said she had a run-in in July with the most publicized of the “persons of interest” in Lindsey’s disappearance, a man in his early 20s who worked at a retirement home on the street where Lindsey last was seen.

Melissa Baum said the man followed her in a vehicle as she drove on Maple Street. She called police, and officers pulled the car over, court papers state.

The man said he thought Melissa Baum’s car was suspicious, “so he followed it around, thinking it might be connected with Baum’s disappearance,” the search warrant affidavit states.

Melissa Baum said of the episode, “I don’t trust anybody anymore.”

Scott said enough residents had notified police of the man’s odd behavior to spur investigators to obtain a search warrant for his and his family’s properties in McCleary on Oct. 2.

According to the search warrant affidavit, the man told conflicting stories about his whereabouts the night of Lindsey’s disappearance. He first told police he was working at the retirement home, but his former supervisor there said he was suspended the night of June 26.

He was a suspect in an attempted rape of a child in McCleary in 2000, the affidavit states, and he told a friend after Lindsey’s disappearance that “he could not believe that a girl had been taken and cut up and dismembered.” The friend told police that he “was obsessively talking about Baum and what had happened to her; specifically, that he believed she had been kidnapped and murdered.”

Nothing of evidentiary value was found during the search, although Scott is reluctant to say that the man – or anyone else – has been cleared in Lindsey’s disappearance. A Seattle TV station’s helicopter taped the police search of the property and aired it on local newscasts, but Scott said the man is only one of the eight to 12 people who have been investigated as “persons of interest” at one time or another during the investigation.

“I’m reluctant to say that anybody is 100 percent cleared because I don’t have any evidence,” Scott said.

The man whose property was searched has said his family will sue the sheriff’s office.

FALSE SIGHTINGS

Law enforcement officers also have had to contend with false sightings of Lindsey, Scott said. Early in the investigation, one of Melissa Baum’s family members called to report that she thought Lindsey was in the back of a car headed west on state Route 8, he said.

Police assumed it was a legitimate sighting because it was reported by someone who knows what Lindsey looks like, he said.

“Multiple units from multiple agencies set up to converge on the vehicle,” Scott said. “I’ve got guys doing 100 miles per hour, setting up to intercept this car.”

It turned out that the woman didn’t actually see Lindsey; she had information from a psychic that Lindsey was in the back of a car that looked like a vehicle she later spotted on the highway, he said.

Scott said the example illustrates not only the family’s desperate search, but also how police have to respond rapidly to every tip, because they never know which one will be the break that leads to finding Lindsey.

National media attention focused on Lindsey’s disappearance has helped get her picture out across the country, Scott said. Her disappearance has been covered by three national news networks, as well as “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” “America’s Most Wanted” and “Nancy Grace,” he said.

However, national attention also has led “to false sightings all over,” Scott said.

“It’s problematic because you take a lot of resources to deal with that,” he said.

Lindsey last was seen wearing a blue, hooded, long-sleeve shirt, blue jeans, black shoes and a mismatched bikini-style swimsuit, court records state.

Jeremy Pawloski: 360-754-5465

jpawloski@theolympian.com

Karma Is Coming

Jademoff
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1417 on: November 01, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »

Good morning Monkeys
Shoot,I am so dippy sometimes Smile
I never thought it was weird that they held a retirement party the night Lindsey disappeared,I thought it was weird that Mayor Bentley declared June 26th as Donnie Rostedt day.Mayor Bentley did this on June 24th and I find that weird.Why not just name June 24th as Donnie's day?
Pictures from the June 24th council meeting:

Mayor Bentley thanked Donnie Rostedt, for over 35 years of service at her final council meeting.
During the council meeting on June 24th, 2009 Mayor Bentley declared June 26, 2009 as "Donnie Rostedt Day" with an official City Resolution.

http://www.cityofmccleary.com/index.asp?Type=B_LIST&SEC={2F17A6E9-6C9A-43CB-B97D-E6EA41A15685}

Mayor congratulates Donnie

Ah, Wally. I know that face. Nice man, didn't realize he was the mayor.
Jademoff
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1418 on: November 01, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »

Does this latest article sound like a"exit the investigation"and "exit the media coverage"article to any one else or is it just me?

http://www.theolympian.com/southsound/story/1021596.html

After four months, authorities have little evidence in Lindsey Baum case

MCCLEARY 11/01/09 - Police Chief George Crumb said he used to look out his office window from the police station on Summit Road and see Lindsey Baum walking with her regular group of friends.

“She was pretty much a daily fixture of the area,” Crumb said of Lindsey, who was 10 when she went missing not two blocks from the police station as she walked to her home from a friend’s June 26. “She seemed to be, you could even say, the leader of the little group.”

Before she disappeared, Crumb thought nothing of noticing Lindsey - in this small town of about 1,500, all the locals know the neighborhood children by name.

“It wasn’t unusual to see her along with everything else,” Crumb said.

As summer has turned to fall, more than four months have passed with no sign of what happened to Lindsey. Residents say the girl’s absence, and the fear of what might have happened to her, have the entire town hurting.

“I totally think it’s affected the whole town,” Diana Hasbrouck, co-owner of Rain Country Restaurant, said between serving customers Wednesday, standing with a half-full pot of coffee in one hand. “See the streets right now?” she added, gesturing toward the empty sidewalks outside the restaurant. “That’s the way it’s been all summer.”

McCleary no longer is a town where people leave their doors unlocked, said Willa Smith-Creamer, a cook at the restaurant.

“People are more apt to keep their kids inside now,” said Smith-Creamer, 33, a lifelong McCleary resident. “I used to leave my doors unlocked all the time, and now I don’t.”

The weekend of Lindsey’s disappearance, the McCleary Police Department’s four-officer force gave way to detectives with the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office who are now in charge of the investigation, supplemented by FBI agents from Seattle.

The investigation has been thwarted at every turn by a lack of physical evidence and no clues about how Lindsey disappeared.

Lindsey vanished after leaving a friend’s home on Maple Street by herself shortly before 9:15 p.m. to make the half-mile walk across town to the home she shared with her mother, Melissa, and 12-year-old brother, Josh, on Mommsen Road.

The last confirmed sighting of Lindsey was about 9:15 p.m., when a resident driving through town saw her walking on Maple Street between Fifth and Sixth streets – about the halfway point of her journey home.

At first, investigators explored the possibility that Lindsey had run away from home or that she might have been hiding in the woods after a dispute with her brother over a bicycle. That possibility soon was ruled out.

“Certainly, someone facilitated her disappearance,” Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott said during an interview in his office in Montesano, about 18 miles west of McCleary. “We believe that she was taken. We believe her to be the victim of foul play.”

MANY TIPS, FEW CLUES

Scott said investigators have slogged through thousands of leads and tips. There have been eight to 12 “persons of interest” at various points during the investigation, but none panned out, he said.

And the tips keep coming. Chief Crumb stood in the reception area at the McCleary police station Wednesday. He was the only one there to answer the phone, and he jotted down information from a tipster as he cradled the phone between his shoulder and head.

“Well, there’s been no suspects; there’s been people of interest,” he told the caller.

Crumb said any tip the department gets about Lindsey’s disappearance is forwarded immediately to Grays Harbor County Detective Polly Davin, who is assigned full time to the case.

Tips come in all the time, Crumb said, but many are vague or of little to no evidentiary value. For example, Crumb said, someone walking in the woods notified police after discovering a shoe, thinking it might have been Lindsey’s. It turned out to be the wrong size and appeared to have “been out there forever,” Crumb said.

AMATEUR SLEUTHS

Crumb and Scott said the case has drawn a number of amateur sleuths who haven’t necessarily been helpful. Crumb said that over the summer, someone went to the McCleary assessor’s office, got the names and addresses of everyone who lives on Maple Street, and posted that information on a message board devoted to Lindsey’s case, leaving the impression that any of those residents could have been responsible.

Crumb said that although posting such information online is legal, “it’s inappropriate.”

“I wish they’d tone that down,” he added.

Scott said some who have posted information about Lindsey’s case on the Internet have created “suspects du jour” who have had “nothing to do with anything,” he said.

“I think there’s a fine line between wanting to help and being irresponsible, and some people have crossed that line in making speculations and opinions that become accusatory.”

Calls also have come from residents who suggest someone they know could be responsible, Crumb said. Many of these calls seem to have more to do with an individual’s personal issues with someone than evidence connected to Lindsey’s disappearance, he said.

“We’ve had a lot of calls like that, unfortunately,” he said.

Crumb recalls that when he moved to McCleary in 1994 to take the police chief job, his daughter would ride her bike around town when she was about Lindsey’s age.

“We don’t have as many kids walking around as in the past. It’s on everybody’s mind,” he said.

Things won’t get back to normal in McCleary until the case is solved, Crumb said. But he fears it might remain unsolved until after he retires.

“It’s not going to go away,” he said.

MASSIVE SEARCH

In July and August, law enforcement officers and volunteers “tipped McCleary upside down” in a massive search for Lindsey, Scott said. The search included helicopters, fixed-wing aircraft from the State Patrol and search-and rescue-dogs from throughout the Puget Sound area, he said.

“I would find it hard to believe that you could find a piece of ground in McCleary that didn’t have one of their footprints,” Scott said.

Detective Davin said that during the first few weeks of the investigation, between 40 and 50 law enforcement officers were working on the case, including FBI agents.

Police spoke to every resident and searched inside and outside more than 150 homes on or near Maple Street, Scott said.

Detectives have reviewed records of people who used credit cards at downtown businesses during the period in which investigators think Lindsey disappeared, such as the Shell Station on Summit Road, Scott said. They even got a list of cell phones whose signals bounced off McCleary’s lone cell phone tower the evening of June 26, he said.

Linda Cunningham, the owner of McCleary Video on Simpson Avenue, said FBI agents have interviewed her three times about Lindsey’s visit to the store with friends an hour or so before she disappeared.

“They (investigators) talked to everybody in town,” she said. “They looked through everybody’s house at least twice.”

Cunningham said her store used to be filled with children renting DVDs and video games after school. However, “as soon as Lindsey got kidnapped, parents stopped letting their kids go around,” she said. “It’s hurting businesses, too. I don’t blame the parents.”

Cunningham added, “I feel so bad, but there are times I just want it to end. I like to think she will just come home. We just want her to come home and try to be a normal town again.”

HOLDING OUT HOPE

Lindsey’s mother, Melissa, answered the door with a cough at her Mommsen Road home Wednesday. Her son, Josh, a seventh-grader at McCleary Elementary School, was home sick with the flu. Lindsey’s German shepherd, Kadence, poked her nose through the door and Melissa Baum came outside for an interview.

She is steadfast in her belief that Lindsey is alive and will be returned home safe.

“I know my daughter’s going to be found,” she said. “I’m frustrated. It’s been four months and two days.”

Everyone in McCleary who has ever come across Lindsey – Chief Crumb, Cunningham, Kara Kampen (whose Maple Street home Lindsey was visiting June 26 to play with her friend Michaela) describe Lindsey as sharp, precocious for her age and talkative.

Lindsey had left her cell phone charging at home the evening she went missing.

When police viewed Lindsey’s MySpace page after her disappearance, they learned only that she had an affinity for the popular movie “Twilight,” a story of vampires set in Forks. A forensic search of her computer showed she had had no Internet communications with anyone whom she might have met without telling her mother, police said.

Melissa Baum said she’s sure whoever took Lindsey knew her, saying her daughter is too smart to get into a stranger’s car. If someone tried to hurt her, she’d fight back, Melissa Baum added.

Police did not issue an Amber Alert after Melissa reported her daughter missing at 10:50 p.m.; Melissa Baum says they should have done so. But Crumb and Scott have said that police do not have authority to issue an Amber Alert unless they know a child has been taken and they have concrete information to issue to the public – such as a car or suspect description – that can aid in a child’s recovery.

“We didn’t have that,” Scott said.

There is talk among law enforcement officers in Washington of changing the requirements for Amber Alerts so they can be issued in cases such as Lindsey’s, Scott said.

“I don’t disagree with Melissa that there’s some frustration in the whole Amber Alert thing,” he said.

Crumb noted that the vast majority of missing-child cases involve simple misunderstandings – a child forgot to tell a parent about sleeping over at a friend’s or left home after a dispute.

Melissa Baum said it’s difficult to see Lindsey’s old playmates around town. Lindsey’s dog Kadence only recently began gaining weight after refusing to eat anything for two weeks after Lindsey disappeared, she added.

Melissa Baum said yellow police tape blocks her family from entering Lindsey’s room because investigators want to preserve her scent for search dogs, which already have scoured the wooded areas around McCleary. Scott added that investigators want to keep Lindsey’s room untouched because there might be items in Lindsey’s room that later will become evidence, or that can be used to collect a DNA sample belonging to Lindsey.

“My life is standing still,” Melissa Baum said. “Everything’s off. It’s changed our whole life.”

WEEKLY SEARCHES

Melissa Baum now is in charge of the volunteer searches in and around McCleary every weekend. Searchers took Halloween weekend off; three weekends ago, the search team included more than 70 soldiers from Fort Lewis who scoured the wooded areas around McCleary, she said.

Crumb said that even though the searches have covered a lot of ground, the vastness of the forests and swampland around McCleary makes it impossible to say definitively that searchers have checked every place where Lindsey could be.

McCleary’s location near several highways increases the number of locations where an abductor could have taken her, Scott said. The roads out of McCleary include state Route 8, which leads to U.S. Highway 101 and Interstate 5; and state Route 108, which leads past Little Creek Casino toward Shelton.

Melissa Baum said she knows investigators are doing all they can but is frustrated by the lack of progress.

“I just feel like it’s taking too long,” she said. “I don’t know what I expect them to do that they’re not doing.”

Melissa Baum said she had a run-in in July with the most publicized of the “persons of interest” in Lindsey’s disappearance, a man in his early 20s who worked at a retirement home on the street where Lindsey last was seen.

Melissa Baum said the man followed her in a vehicle as she drove on Maple Street. She called police, and officers pulled the car over, court papers state.

The man said he thought Melissa Baum’s car was suspicious, “so he followed it around, thinking it might be connected with Baum’s disappearance,” the search warrant affidavit states.

Melissa Baum said of the episode, “I don’t trust anybody anymore.”

Scott said enough residents had notified police of the man’s odd behavior to spur investigators to obtain a search warrant for his and his family’s properties in McCleary on Oct. 2.

According to the search warrant affidavit, the man told conflicting stories about his whereabouts the night of Lindsey’s disappearance. He first told police he was working at the retirement home, but his former supervisor there said he was suspended the night of June 26.

He was a suspect in an attempted rape of a child in McCleary in 2000, the affidavit states, and he told a friend after Lindsey’s disappearance that “he could not believe that a girl had been taken and cut up and dismembered.” The friend told police that he “was obsessively talking about Baum and what had happened to her; specifically, that he believed she had been kidnapped and murdered.”

Nothing of evidentiary value was found during the search, although Scott is reluctant to say that the man – or anyone else – has been cleared in Lindsey’s disappearance. A Seattle TV station’s helicopter taped the police search of the property and aired it on local newscasts, but Scott said the man is only one of the eight to 12 people who have been investigated as “persons of interest” at one time or another during the investigation.

“I’m reluctant to say that anybody is 100 percent cleared because I don’t have any evidence,” Scott said.

The man whose property was searched has said his family will sue the sheriff’s office.

FALSE SIGHTINGS

Law enforcement officers also have had to contend with false sightings of Lindsey, Scott said. Early in the investigation, one of Melissa Baum’s family members called to report that she thought Lindsey was in the back of a car headed west on state Route 8, he said.

Police assumed it was a legitimate sighting because it was reported by someone who knows what Lindsey looks like, he said.

“Multiple units from multiple agencies set up to converge on the vehicle,” Scott said. “I’ve got guys doing 100 miles per hour, setting up to intercept this car.”

It turned out that the woman didn’t actually see Lindsey; she had information from a psychic that Lindsey was in the back of a car that looked like a vehicle she later spotted on the highway, he said.

Scott said the example illustrates not only the family’s desperate search, but also how police have to respond rapidly to every tip, because they never know which one will be the break that leads to finding Lindsey.

National media attention focused on Lindsey’s disappearance has helped get her picture out across the country, Scott said. Her disappearance has been covered by three national news networks, as well as “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” “America’s Most Wanted” and “Nancy Grace,” he said.

However, national attention also has led “to false sightings all over,” Scott said.

“It’s problematic because you take a lot of resources to deal with that,” he said.

Lindsey last was seen wearing a blue, hooded, long-sleeve shirt, blue jeans, black shoes and a mismatched bikini-style swimsuit, court records state.

Jeremy Pawloski: 360-754-5465

jpawloski@theolympian.com

This doesn't look like they are trying to exit the media. They are being more informative of what's going on, and clearing up some misunderstandings that people have about what's going on. They don't have much to work with, not much evidence (which we knew). I feel like I have potatoes to work with, and I'm trying to make lemonade with them. That's probably how investigators feel also. We all want Lindsey to be found and to come home. Life won't be back to normal even if she does return home safe and alive, but we'll have a peace in mind when she is found.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1419 on: November 01, 2009, 02:07:11 PM »

Karma I read the article that you just posted, I think LE is saying look, look what we all did, we have nothing, and lets keep our fingers crossed that Lindsey is found. I don't know, again I think things were messed up in the beginning of this case, and you can't undo that. I'll bet that if Lindsey came from a more prominent family perhaps more would be done, sad but true.    I'm very concerned about this mayor, does anyone think he may have been the one to have done something to Lindsey, I mean on other forums is he being discussed? I haven't been to DD's forum in awhile, just wondered what people over there may or may not think about the mayor.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.