March 18, 2024, 09:38:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lindsey Baum # 6 10/4/09 - 1/27/10  (Read 566914 times)
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #980 on: October 08, 2009, 03:38:09 PM »

Thank you Jess for posting your thoughts. I agree with them very much.

Scandi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #981 on: October 08, 2009, 03:41:01 PM »

Hi JessStar,  You said "Do you demand an explanation for why Melissa Baum isn't aimlessly walking through the woods in a daze searching for her child"?

Everyone does things differently when they find themselves in a situation that grips them to the bone, like with a missing child.

I was there when a young man was washed off the rocks in Depoe Bay OR at his graduation party.  His mother walked the beaches and headlands almost every day for months, looking for him.  She was driven to find him, and relentless.  Many of us thought she was totally lost within herself and needed a dr.

Four months later his body was found down south about 5 miles.  The ME said his body had been wedged in the rocks below the water line right where he had been washed away for most of that time.  And that he had just recently become loosened from that hold as the water and little creatures worked on his corpse.

We later learned this mother was a specialized surgical nurse at a well known hospital in Portland.  She wasn't crazy after all.  And what she did was her own way of finding peace in losing him while waiting for the ocean to send him back to her {which almost always happens}. 

Respectfully, I guess the words aimlessly and in a daze struck me as possibly not being representative of what is going on in Melissa's mind and how she is dealing with Lindsey's loss..  xox
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #982 on: October 08, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »

Good post Scandi...ty for sharing.

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #983 on: October 08, 2009, 04:06:36 PM »

Quotes:
"His mother walked the beaches and headlands almost every day for months, looking for him.  She was driven to find him, and relentless.  Many of us thought she was totally lost within herself and needed a dr."

"She wasn't crazy after all.  And what she did was her own way of finding peace in losing him."

Thank You, Scandi

chi-monkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #984 on: October 08, 2009, 04:09:02 PM »

MM 

Hope you are still here.  Tossing in my 2 cents on criticizing MB.  Understanding the frustration and fear aroused by a child's abduction, we sometimes try to reassure ourselves that this can't happen to us and ours because....  we are more careful, or more observant, or more aware of danger, whatever.  It is like "knocking on wood".   Poor MB, nothing like this should have happened to Lindsey whatever she did or did not do that night.     

In addition, and at risk of starting another off topic, I need to say something.  There is not, nor has there been a time or way to live 100% safely.   Scaring our kids about everyone and everything, and giving them no freedom whatsoever, is robbing them of some basic childhood pleasures.  Let's use reason and common sense about when we should be closely supervising every move, and when they need a little freedom.  Our view makes it appear to us that there is a kidnapper behind every bush, but there is not!  It is very rare.  We would save more lives by telling kids to get inside when there is lightening. 

Since discussing what MB did before Lindsey went missing just puts us back in a endless loop and does not move this forward, I will gladly forgo it. 

MB, I regret it if you have read this criticism.  Mostly it is caused by our frustration and caring about Lindsey. 

JMO       Chi-M
JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #985 on: October 08, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »

One last post before JessStar new rules go into effect.   Harry Oakes's email to Janet states "a dog hit on a death scent a 1/2 mi after leaving Beck ST, winds from the south".  Did he not follow that scent even if he did not know if it was Lindsey or not?  Seems like a good tracker would search out that scent to find the body.  After all winds change and it may be difficult to pick up the scent again.  This smacks of incompeteance.  Just had to get that out.  IMO  shortcake

Bolded by me..

Ermmm.. Jess made 'a suggestion' for a new rule.  Suggestions can be presented to Admin, who makes the decisions on rules, incl when they go into effect, etc.   

Just saying.. 

I'll be honest with you, Wyks, that "suggestion" was more tongue-in-cheek than anything.  I don't really expect Klaas to adopt such a rule.  Smile  It would make things way too cumbersome.  However, if people would just think about it when they're posting, I think we'd have a better forum.  It follows suit with the concept that, if you're gonna strike down someone else's idea, you should be prepared with an idea of your own.

Peace everyone.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #986 on: October 08, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »

Hi JessStar,  You said "Do you demand an explanation for why Melissa Baum isn't aimlessly walking through the woods in a daze searching for her child"?

Everyone does things differently when they find themselves in a situation that grips them to the bone, like with a missing child.

I was there when a young man was washed off the rocks in Depoe Bay OR at his graduation party.  His mother walked the beaches and headlands almost every day for months, looking for him.  She was driven to find him, and relentless.  Many of us thought she was totally lost within herself and needed a dr.

Four months later his body was found down south about 5 miles.  The ME said his body had been wedged in the rocks below the water line right where he had been washed away for most of that time.  And that he had just recently become loosened from that hold as the water and little creatures worked on his corpse.

We later learned this mother was a specialized surgical nurse at a well known hospital in Portland.  She wasn't crazy after all.  And what she did was her own way of finding peace in losing him while waiting for the ocean to send him back to her {which almost always happens}. 

Respectfully, I guess the words aimlessly and in a daze struck me as possibly not being representative of what is going on in Melissa's mind and how she is dealing with Lindsey's loss..  xox
Wow, and you know a mother does what a mother needs to do, that is what the mother of the son did, and Melissa is doing what she needs to do. But if it is true that Melissa has bipolar, being that I'm a mother of a daughter that is also, it is very difficult and I'm sure she is doing the best she can. I sure hope she is seeing a doctor.
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #987 on: October 08, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »

I understand.  However, I think this describes someone who would be more inclined to walk into woods in a daze, aimlessly because no one has given her any direction, than someone like the person you described who knew exacty what happened to her son, where it happened, and why it happened.  This is from Melissa McCann's post:

Every morning she finds the strength to get herself out of bed and face another day with her daughter missing. She showers, gets dressed, and makes breakfast for her and josh. Then she sits at the kitchen table staring at the empty chair where Lindsey would normally be sitting. She gets josh off for the day and then has a real good cry. She wants to stay strong for Josh so she waits until he leaves before she breaks down. She then looks for ways to try to keep herself busy so she can remain strong when josh comes back home. Everything in the house reminds her of Lindsey day in and day out.  She does little things that she can to help. She makes buttons, flyers, shirts, ect with Lindseys photo on them, she goes to places and leaves flyers on the counters or in the windows, she answers phone calls all day from people wanting to help, or people who have 'visions', or the media wanting to interview her. She helps out at the searches whatever way she can. There is a lot of little things that are not publisized.  She does NOT sit on the porch all day as certain people keep saying. So whever said to move her ass and seach under the porch for lindsey, well I will try to be more tactful and not finish my thought. Anyways, she also spends time recreating that night in her head, and plays outall of the 'what ifs'. She has extreme guilt that can be felt a mile away.  So then evening comes and she makes dinner for her and josh. She again sits at the table staring at lindsey empty chair. Bedtime comes and she kisses josh g'nite and her heart is heavy as she knows she cant kiss lindsey g'nite. She eventually makes her way to bed where she again cries and falls asleep at some point only to dream of LJ and her return

I don't mean to trade words with you, I absolutely repect what you are saying.  In fact, I think we're thinking on the same page because, as I pointed out in my post, it is impossible to predict how someone will respond to a situation like this, and there is no standard reaction.  And I certainly did not mean any disrespect to Ms. Baum. But I would venture to guess that, based on the above, Ms. Baum searching through the woods wouldn't be focused and deliberate.  I am not suggesting that her state of mind is "dazed" and "aimless."  But that's just my opinion.

Peace

canadianmonkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #988 on: October 08, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »

I haven't been a member of this forum for very long.  I joined when Tori Stafford went missing.  I have a question for all the monkeys who have the knowledge.

What are the statistics of something being found using the grid searches? 

The time I have spent on here most of the time the things that are found are found by accident by someone not looking specifically for the missing person.
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #989 on: October 08, 2009, 04:54:08 PM »

I just got on and read the critiques of anyone questioning MB's behavior or non-behavior. When I posted my thoughts last night I DID offer some positive things that MB could do. I do think as long as she acts like a victim she will be a victim. Action in empowering.

There have been questions from day one about what did or didn't happen that night. I am not here to tear down MB, but it insults my intelligence for locals to say they don't know what is going on in McCleary, and that we should not judge when there have been so many mistruths, misquotes, and no straight answers.

I am looking out my window here in the midwest. The leaves are falling and bright with color. I am sure fall is closer along in Washington state at this time. Winter will soon be here. I am angry Lindsey has been gone so long, and so much passive behavior has been seen at all levels. JMO

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
MunkeyMunk
Scared Monkey

MONAVIE- Drink it. Feel it. Share it.

« Reply #990 on: October 08, 2009, 05:04:46 PM »

I just got on and read the critiques of anyone questioning MB's behavior or non-behavior. When I posted my thoughts last night I DID offer some positive things that MB could do. I do think as long as she acts like a victim she will be a victim. Action in empowering.

There have been questions from day one about what did or didn't happen that night. I am not here to tear down MB, but it insults my intelligence for locals to say they don't know what is going on in McCleary, and that we should not judge when there have been so many mistruths, misquotes, and no straight answers.

I am looking out my window here in the midwest. The leaves are falling and bright with color. I am sure fall is closer along in Washington state at this time. Winter will soon be here. I am angry Lindsey has been gone so long, and so much passive behavior has been seen at all levels. JMO

I agree with you on the bold part, Fanny!!
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #991 on: October 08, 2009, 05:13:20 PM »

I haven't seen that post, Fanny Mae.  Can you point me to it?

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #992 on: October 08, 2009, 05:18:34 PM »

My quote from last night:

I am the one you are quoting, and I am the one that made the remark about under the porch. So don't blame everyone else.

Whenever there is a question asked about the searches or people involve, the answer is MB doesn't know. MB doesn't know about the search accounts. MB would not talk to HO. Now that LRC is not coming back, has she requested TES to come back?

No doubt life is very hard for her trying to get through the day.

Has she gone to the nearest TV affiliate and asked to go on TV to plea for her child and ask why more hasn't been done? Has she gone to Olympia and talked to her representative there to ask for more state help in finding Lindsey? Has she made a nuisance of herself at the McCleary Police Department, or Gray's County SO? Making buttons and poster seem very passive to me. It may seem rude to you to ask these questions, but we are back to square one. It is very frustrating when we can't even seem to find out who the LAST person was to see Lindsey.[/bold]

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #993 on: October 08, 2009, 05:26:25 PM »

My quote from last night:

I am the one you are quoting, and I am the one that made the remark about under the porch. So don't blame everyone else.

Whenever there is a question asked about the searches or people involve, the answer is MB doesn't know. MB doesn't know about the search accounts. MB would not talk to HO. Now that LRC is not coming back, has she requested TES to come back?

No doubt life is very hard for her trying to get through the day.

Has she gone to the nearest TV affiliate and asked to go on TV to plea for her child and ask why more hasn't been done? Has she gone to Olympia and talked to her representative there to ask for more state help in finding Lindsey? Has she made a nuisance of herself at the McCleary Police Department, or Gray's County SO? Making buttons and poster seem very passive to me. It may seem rude to you to ask these questions, but we are back to square one. It is very frustrating when we can't even seem to find out who the LAST person was to see Lindsey.[/bold]

Thank you.

Scandi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #994 on: October 08, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »

I understand.  However, I think this describes someone who would be more inclined to walk into woods in a daze, aimlessly because no one has given her any direction, than someone like the person you described who knew exacty what happened to her son, where it happened, and why it happened.  This is from Melissa McCann's post:

Every morning she finds the strength to get herself out of bed and face another day with her daughter missing. She showers, gets dressed, and makes breakfast for her and josh. Then she sits at the kitchen table staring at the empty chair where Lindsey would normally be sitting. She gets josh off for the day and then has a real good cry. She wants to stay strong for Josh so she waits until he leaves before she breaks down. She then looks for ways to try to keep herself busy so she can remain strong when josh comes back home. Everything in the house reminds her of Lindsey day in and day out.  She does little things that she can to help. She makes buttons, flyers, shirts, ect with Lindseys photo on them, she goes to places and leaves flyers on the counters or in the windows, she answers phone calls all day from people wanting to help, or people who have 'visions', or the media wanting to interview her. She helps out at the searches whatever way she can. There is a lot of little things that are not publisized.  She does NOT sit on the porch all day as certain people keep saying. So whever said to move her ass and seach under the porch for lindsey, well I will try to be more tactful and not finish my thought. Anyways, she also spends time recreating that night in her head, and plays outall of the 'what ifs'. She has extreme guilt that can be felt a mile away.  So then evening comes and she makes dinner for her and josh. She again sits at the table staring at lindsey empty chair. Bedtime comes and she kisses josh g'nite and her heart is heavy as she knows she cant kiss lindsey g'nite. She eventually makes her way to bed where she again cries and falls asleep at some point only to dream of LJ and her return

I don't mean to trade words with you, I absolutely repect what you are saying.  In fact, I think we're thinking on the same page because, as I pointed out in my post, it is impossible to predict how someone will respond to a situation like this, and there is no standard reaction.  And I certainly did not mean any disrespect to Ms. Baum. But I would venture to guess that, based on the above, Ms. Baum searching through the woods wouldn't be focused and deliberate.  I am not suggesting that her state of mind is "dazed" and "aimless."  But that's just my opinion.

Peace

Hi JessStar,  Now that you point that out I can see where Melissa does seem more unfocused than Peter's mother.  One mother knowing with almost certainty her child is dead, the other realizing there is a possibility her child is still alive.  Each dealing with their situation in a different way.

At first I had my reservations about Melissa in giving Lindsey so much freedom for such a young and quickly developing young lady.  I have seen a change in her now and do think her public presentation has developed in a good way.  She seems more focused, even more polished, and I attribute it to being around the positive people involved in the searches.  I admire her holding out hope for Lindsey to walk thru the door one day soon no matter what the statistics say.  xox 

Also thanks for your comments Edward, Nut and NoRose.  ;}
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #995 on: October 08, 2009, 05:53:52 PM »

Yes, and not only that, there are some people that are suspicious of Melissa Baum. I'm not going to lie and say I haven't had thoughts that she may have done something, or is covering for Josh, it is tucked away in my mind, I certainly don't think so, but I'm keeping it open.
Scandi
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #996 on: October 08, 2009, 06:04:44 PM »

Hi again,  I could swear I read here in the last day the first name of one of the 2 witnesses {if 2?} who saw Lindsey.  Is anyone working on that to learn more about that person?  I think it was last night I read that and thought about calling the local tavern in McCleary to see if they knew who this would be and then chickened out.

sebastian
Monkey Junky

« Reply #997 on: October 08, 2009, 06:23:50 PM »

MM 

Hope you are still here.  Tossing in my 2 cents on criticizing MB.  Understanding the frustration and fear aroused by a child's abduction, we sometimes try to reassure ourselves that this can't happen to us and ours because....  we are more careful, or more observant, or more aware of danger, whatever.  It is like "knocking on wood".   Poor MB, nothing like this should have happened to Lindsey whatever she did or did not do that night.     

In addition, and at risk of starting another off topic, I need to say something.  There is not, nor has there been a time or way to live 100% safely.   Scaring our kids about everyone and everything, and giving them no freedom whatsoever, is robbing them of some basic childhood pleasures.  Let's use reason and common sense about when we should be closely supervising every move, and when they need a little freedom.  Our view makes it appear to us that there is a kidnapper behind every bush, but there is not!  It is very rare.  We would save more lives by telling kids to get inside when there is lightening. 

Since discussing what MB did before Lindsey went missing just puts us back in a endless loop and does not move this forward, I will gladly forgo it. 

MB, I regret it if you have read this criticism.  Mostly it is caused by our frustration and caring about Lindsey. 

JMO       Chi-M

Hi Chi-M,
I agree with you that we cannot constantly scare our children too death. Having said that, we also as parents need to use common sense. I am not directing this to one particular person in McCleary. When Lindsey first went missing, all we heard was what a wonderful small town it was. It was safe, quiet, the kids all played freely. It was made out to be Mayberry. After all of the digging and investigating, it turns out that McCleary is not Mayberry. Many of us have investigated many of the people who live in that town. There are a lot of people in that town with criminal records. There are a few SO's. There are a few families who are just plain scary. Many parents say that they allow their children plenty of freedom so that they can gain independence. That may very well be the case. It is still a risk, no matter how low. Then there are the parents that don't supervise at all out of pure laziness or because they are too self-absorbed to be bothered. It is hard work monitoring your child, giving them rides to and from their friends, telling them "no" to myspace, checking in on them when the reach a friends home as well as when they leave a friends home.  It is exhausting! It is just what we do as a responsible parent. Kids are a lot of work, but the joy they bring is worth every minute of the work! JMO
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #998 on: October 08, 2009, 07:03:42 PM »

One last post before JessStar new rules go into effect.   Harry Oakes's email to Janet states "a dog hit on a death scent a 1/2 mi after leaving Beck ST, winds from the south".  Did he not follow that scent even if he did not know if it was Lindsey or not?  Seems like a good tracker would search out that scent to find the body.  After all winds change and it may be difficult to pick up the scent again.  This smacks of incompeteance.  Just had to get that out.  IMO  shortcake

Bolded by me..

Ermmm.. Jess made 'a suggestion' for a new rule.  Suggestions can be presented to Admin, who makes the decisions on rules, incl when they go into effect, etc.   

Just saying.. 

I'll be honest with you, Wyks, that "suggestion" was more tongue-in-cheek than anything.  I don't really expect Klaas to adopt such a rule.  Smile  It would make things way too cumbersome.  However, if people would just think about it when they're posting, I think we'd have a better forum.  It follows suit with the concept that, if you're gonna strike down someone else's idea, you should be prepared with an idea of your own.

Peace everyone.

I agree with that concept, Jess, as a general rule of thumb.  Not so sure it would always be practical here, with every single post we make.  And that's mainly because these threads are our 'working areas', a place where we discuss matters in a case.  Not a place where we are presenting our final thoughts on something to be presented to the public. 

Rarely does anyone from the public (including family/friends in a case) see the 'war room', for example, of LE.  Investigators don't have to be concerned that everything they write down in the 'war room' is written so carefully, so as not to offend anyone else.  No, they just jot down what they need to keep track of, in trying to make some sense of it all.  In threads such as this one, we need to strike a balance.  That's hard to do, and frustrating.

What you've said is something to keep in mind for whenever possible, to be sure.  When I read your earlier post, I took it as a suggestion, a reminder for those posting.  And Lord knows, some (myself included) do need reminders from time to time. When I saw that one monkey took it to be more than a suggestion/reminder, as in an actual new rule, just had to say something.   

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
KarmaRoundUp
Monkey Junky

Angels Are True

« Reply #999 on: October 08, 2009, 07:30:11 PM »

Anybody have a comment?
  On 9/24 at 11:23 AM Kona(Tena) posts transcript of the Ron and Don show.  Anybody know how she found it and how accurate its is?  She became very good for a newbie.  I do not believe anything she posts since her family was being investigated and were closing in on them.  Why did she regester and jump in when members of her family were being questioned in connection with the disappearance of Lindsey?  It looks like misdirection to me.  Then what do I know.  shortcake

Shortcake it was asked if someone could post this comment. Since I am a member of both sites I volunteered.

It was I, Simmiefreak who transcribed the Ron and Don Show. I spent 13hrs in so so. I did it for Lindsey! I wanted to help in some way! There's recordings only last so long on their site, so we wanted to get it in writing by way of transcript. Is it accurate? Yes. If i didn't understand correctly, I said so. I may have put Dawn instead of Don, but it is as word for word as you can get.
Kona posted it because I am not a member at Scared Monkeys. I did it for Lindsey!!!!!!

I hope this clears up this misunderstanding.

Thanks Tracygirl  That helps, I guess Kona was all over the forums giving out information.  I wonder when Kona joined whatever forum Simmiefreak and her had in common.  For someone who was 3rd generation local, maybe she needs to get out more often and get her directions down.  I do remember she said she couldn't look where DD thought they could find Lindsey because she had some kind if handicap.  Well when she is interviewed on TV, she does not show her face and I don't notice any problem from the neck down.  Why hide your face if everybody knows you in that small town?  So many problems with Kona.  Thank you again Tracygirl.  shortcake
Kona actually showed up for a search meeting at the end of August with her other son,AG.
Kona also showed up for a search(I don't know if Kona searched but AG sure did)on September 13th weekend search.
Dale had no problem stalking Melissa Baum,hey,great idea!
Why doesn't DD just get these 2 able bodied boys to go look where ever she wanted someone to look so desperately?
After all Dale was obsessed with Lindsey's disappearance back in July.

Karma Is Coming

Justice for Natalee Holloway!

Rest In Peace Sweet Angels

Help Light Lindsey's Way Home
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.