April 26, 2024, 11:28:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Petey goes for his puppy booster shots tomorrow.  He weighed 3.07lbs 3 weeks ago.  How much does he weigh now?  (Voting closed: January 22, 2010, 10:13:08 PM)
More than 4 pounds - 4 (17.4%)
More than 5 pounds - 7 (30.4%)
More than 6 pounds - 8 (34.8%)
More than 7 pounds - 4 (17.4%)
Who cares? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #53 11/24/09 - 1/21/10  (Read 500601 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1600 on: January 08, 2010, 10:03:53 PM »

Parabolic Projectile Motion: Shooting a Harmless Tranquilizer Dart at a Falling Monkey

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ParabolicProjectileMotionShootingAHarmlessTranquilizerDartAt/

Hi Bearly!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1601 on: January 08, 2010, 10:11:04 PM »

http://www.comcast.net/video/playful-panda-takes-a-tumble/1380361100/Comcast/1380295548/

Playful Panda Takes a Tumble

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1602 on: January 08, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »

Parabolic Projectile Motion: Shooting a Harmless Tranquilizer Dart at a Falling Monkey

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ParabolicProjectileMotionShootingAHarmlessTranquilizerDartAt/

Hi Bearly!

Hi Klaas!

Love that Pooch!

I believe in miracles!
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1603 on: January 08, 2010, 10:42:15 PM »

UW monkey starved to death in lab last year

Staff at the University of Washington's National Primate Research Center allowed a monkey to starve to death last year.

A U.S. Department of Agriculture inspection report says the male pigtailed macaque had lost a quarter of his body weight, and had not been weighed regularly as required by the university's own protocols.

Three workers and one supervisor were disciplined, said center Director David Anderson.

Nona Phillips, director of UW's Office of Animal Welfare, said the incident was "extremely upsetting."

"That's a bad thing to have happen," she said. "This is very, very unusual."

The death is the latest blow for animal research programs at the UW, which is one of the nation's top institutions in terms of biomedical funding from the National Institutes of Health.

In 1995, five baboons died of exposure or thirst at a UW primate-breeding center near Spokane. The center was later closed. Inspectors from the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care found "serious deficiencies" in the university's animal-care facilities in 2006 and placed the university on probation. In 2008, UW was ordered to reimburse the federal government more than $20,000 for unauthorized surgeries performed on primates being used to study the relationship between the brain and eye movement.

The animal-rights organization Stop Animal Exploitation Now, which monitors all U.S. research centers, has targeted the UW for special scrutiny, said Executive Director Michael Budkie. "If they can't even keep the primates fed, you have to wonder what else is happening," Budkie said.

But Anderson pointed out the university spent $38 million over the past few years to upgrade animal-care facilities.

UW is now fully accredited, Phillips said. And the previous two USDA inspections of the primate center uncovered no problems.

Anderson said the center retrained its staff and changed procedures after the macaque died in April.

The 3 1/2-year-old monkey had recently been introduced into a new group of about 15 other macaques, Anderson said. The highly social creatures sometimes turn on newcomers, and staffers had been observing the animal several times a day to make sure that didn't happen. But even though dominant animals weren't beating up on the new arrival, they were apparently preventing him from sharing in food, Anderson said.

Animals mask infirmity to prevent being preyed on in the wild, so the macaque's weakened state was not obvious to observers, he added. UW's rules require all animals to be weighed every four weeks, which would have spotted the weight loss. The USDA report said the macaque hadn't been weighed for more than two months before his death. Anderson said it actually had been six weeks since the animal was weighed, but the lapse was nonetheless inexcusable.

The problem was traced to a change in staffing and confusion over responsibilities. Among the fixes instituted is a computer program that alerts supervisors as well as staff when an animal is overdue for attention, Anderson said.

The macaque was not being used for experimentation.

But the same USDA inspection noted a problem with two adult male baboons, being used for neurological studies. Cages were designed so that when the animals were on the perches where they usually sleep, they were unable to "sit upright in a normal manner" because of 2-inch-tall implants in their heads.

Anderson said the problem was corrected by lowering the perches.

The UW primate center's Web site says it is the largest of eight federal centers across the country. Facilities in Seattle house about 700 animals, mostly macaques and baboons. The university also operates primate-breeding colonies in Louisiana and Texas, with about 3,000 animals.

The primates are used in a wide range of research.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010747448_starvedmonkey09m.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1604 on: January 08, 2010, 10:58:05 PM »

UW monkey starved to death in lab last year

Staff at the University of Washington's National Primate Research Center allowed a monkey to starve to death last year.

A U.S. Department of Agriculture inspection report says the male pigtailed macaque had lost a quarter of his body weight, and had not been weighed regularly as required by the university's own protocols.

Three workers and one supervisor were disciplined, said center Director David Anderson.

Nona Phillips, director of UW's Office of Animal Welfare, said the incident was "extremely upsetting."

"That's a bad thing to have happen," she said. "This is very, very unusual."

The death is the latest blow for animal research programs at the UW, which is one of the nation's top institutions in terms of biomedical funding from the National Institutes of Health.

In 1995, five baboons died of exposure or thirst at a UW primate-breeding center near Spokane. The center was later closed. Inspectors from the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care found "serious deficiencies" in the university's animal-care facilities in 2006 and placed the university on probation. In 2008, UW was ordered to reimburse the federal government more than $20,000 for unauthorized surgeries performed on primates being used to study the relationship between the brain and eye movement.

The animal-rights organization Stop Animal Exploitation Now, which monitors all U.S. research centers, has targeted the UW for special scrutiny, said Executive Director Michael Budkie. "If they can't even keep the primates fed, you have to wonder what else is happening," Budkie said.

But Anderson pointed out the university spent $38 million over the past few years to upgrade animal-care facilities.

UW is now fully accredited, Phillips said. And the previous two USDA inspections of the primate center uncovered no problems.

Anderson said the center retrained its staff and changed procedures after the macaque died in April.

The 3 1/2-year-old monkey had recently been introduced into a new group of about 15 other macaques, Anderson said. The highly social creatures sometimes turn on newcomers, and staffers had been observing the animal several times a day to make sure that didn't happen. But even though dominant animals weren't beating up on the new arrival, they were apparently preventing him from sharing in food, Anderson said.

Animals mask infirmity to prevent being preyed on in the wild, so the macaque's weakened state was not obvious to observers, he added. UW's rules require all animals to be weighed every four weeks, which would have spotted the weight loss. The USDA report said the macaque hadn't been weighed for more than two months before his death. Anderson said it actually had been six weeks since the animal was weighed, but the lapse was nonetheless inexcusable.

The problem was traced to a change in staffing and confusion over responsibilities. Among the fixes instituted is a computer program that alerts supervisors as well as staff when an animal is overdue for attention, Anderson said.

The macaque was not being used for experimentation.

But the same USDA inspection noted a problem with two adult male baboons, being used for neurological studies. Cages were designed so that when the animals were on the perches where they usually sleep, they were unable to "sit upright in a normal manner" because of 2-inch-tall implants in their heads.

Anderson said the problem was corrected by lowering the perches.

The UW primate center's Web site says it is the largest of eight federal centers across the country. Facilities in Seattle house about 700 animals, mostly macaques and baboons. The university also operates primate-breeding colonies in Louisiana and Texas, with about 3,000 animals.

The primates are used in a wide range of research.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010747448_starvedmonkey09m.html

Oh no!   

What a horrible, painful death.

I believe in miracles!
Bud's Girl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1605 on: January 09, 2010, 12:16:44 AM »

Monkeys ring,
CBB listens.
By her name,
Her light Glistens
A beautiful sight,
We're happy tonight,
walking in our winter avatars!

Hi BG!!!

Hi Bearly !     smooch

The naked truth is always better than the best dressed lie.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1606 on: January 09, 2010, 09:02:47 AM »

Monkeys ring,
CBB listens.
By her name,
Her light Glistens
A beautiful sight,
We're happy tonight,

Hi BG!!!

Hi Bearly !     smooch

Hi BG & Bearly 

Hope you are both doing okay.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Searching
Monkey Junky

Got my Anti Anthony Koolaid helmet on ,I'm ready!

« Reply #1607 on: January 09, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »

Morning searching

You are right he is waving 

Morning GE, I was just rolling at the comic you posted. I needed that laugh, but true enough, it is downright cold. I went and bought new slippers yesterday, little cows.lol, I like the animal and character slippers. They are so warm.
How are you this a.m.?

Morning Searching,
I am doing okay. Hows your daughter doing? You guys are in my prayers. I have banana slippers they are warmer than my regular ones. Hope you have a good day.
Hi GE, sorry had laid down to try to nap, not sleeping much. Daughter is doing ok, had a scare not long ago, she was having stabbing pains and some other things, but doc said she is ok, he put her back on bed rest. wish he'd put me on bed rest, I need it LOL  Thanks for asking and the well wishes and prayers.

Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1608 on: January 09, 2010, 01:02:50 PM »

when you all get a chance, please make sure to try to get Adji Desirs information out and say a prayer for him. Tomorrow marks exactly one year to the day since he vanished. I know he has a thread but I wanted to make sure everyone remembered what tomorrow is.
http://adjidesir.com/

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1609 on: January 09, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »

when you all get a chance, please make sure to try to get Adji Desirs information out and say a prayer for him. Tomorrow marks exactly one year to the day since he vanished. I know he has a thread but I wanted to make sure everyone remembered what tomorrow is.

Thanks for the reminder Searching, still praying for Adji.
Searching
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1610 on: January 09, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »

Thanks for the reminder Searching, still praying for Adji.

Anytime Klaas, I am praying for him as well.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1611 on: January 09, 2010, 01:27:52 PM »

Thanks for the reminder Searching. Praying for Adji. an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #1612 on: January 09, 2010, 06:48:53 PM »

I left a prayer for little Adji. I can't believe they haven't found him yet. Prayers for all missing children.

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1613 on: January 09, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »

I left a prayer for little Adji. I can't believe they haven't found him yet. Prayers for all missing children.

Me either Boo. It's had to believe it's been year.  an angelic monkey

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1614 on: January 09, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »

Monkeys ring,
CBB listens.
By her name,
Her light Glistens
A beautiful sight,
We're happy tonight,

Hi BG!!!

Hi Bearly !     smooch

Hi BG & Bearly 

Hope you are both doing okay.

Hi GE!

I hope the same for you.

I think global cooling has started here.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1615 on: January 09, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »

Morning searching

You are right he is waving 

Morning GE, I was just rolling at the comic you posted. I needed that laugh, but true enough, it is downright cold. I went and bought new slippers yesterday, little cows.lol, I like the animal and character slippers. They are so warm.
How are you this a.m.?

Morning Searching,
I am doing okay. Hows your daughter doing? You guys are in my prayers. I have banana slippers they are warmer than my regular ones. Hope you have a good day.
Hi GE, sorry had laid down to try to nap, not sleeping much. Daughter is doing ok, had a scare not long ago, she was having stabbing pains and some other things, but doc said she is ok, he put her back on bed rest. wish he'd put me on bed rest, I need it LOL  Thanks for asking and the well wishes and prayers.

You and your daughter, and of course, her baby, are in my prayers.

an angelic monkey

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1616 on: January 09, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »

Thank you!

an angelic monkey

I believe in miracles!
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1617 on: January 09, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »

Pretty big earthquake in Northern California.  I know we have some members in NoCal and hopefully they will check in.  Nothing was felt way down my way:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582690,00.html

6.5-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Northern California

Saturday , January 09, 2010

FC1
ADVERTISEMENT

A 6.5-magnitude earthquake hit northern California Saturday afternoon, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The earthquake's epicenter was 22 miles west-northwest of Ferndale, Calif.

Ferndale police tell Fox News they saw some superficial damage to the city hall building, and some telephone lines were disconnected, but no major damage or injuries were immediately reported.

Ferndale is 265 miles north of San Francisco.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1618 on: January 09, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »

5:20pm Sunset SoCal...

crazybabyborg
« Reply #1619 on: January 09, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »

5:20pm Sunset SoCal...

Absolutely gorgeous, Klaas! 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.